Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
X-Men Collection (Blu-ray)
$60.58
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Amagami SS: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Jul 2008
Question First projector, need help coming from plasma blacks

OK, so we are pretty set on getting a PJ. With a 9 person family the 54" plasma just isn't cutting it size wise.

I'd like to stay well under $3k, well under, if we can.

3D is not important, but getting close to plasma PQ is.

I was looking at the Sony HW30, but I'd rather not spend that much if I don't have to. Plus I'm, not sure it's the best PQ for 2D.

Here's the room (since I have no idea what I'm doing) and am not sure what will work in our space:

Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada
Wink

This room presents some real challenges for front projection. The big windows will be difficult to cover, especially if that top arched one currently let's light in. The throw distance is pretty far to shelf mount on the rear wall and the slanted ceiling will make a ceiling mount more difficult and I'm not sure you want a projector hanging from your ceiling in the middle of the room. Table mounting is a possibility but it will change the layout of the room. Finally the wall where the tv is has a door in it so that could limit the size of screen you use if you fixed one, I suppose a drop down is an option. So... Without considering what projector you can look at in the 3k range I've gotta ask... Is there another room you use?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abouna View Post
OK, so we are pretty set on getting a PJ. With a 9 person family the 54" plasma just isn't cutting it size wise.

I'd like to stay well under $3k, well under, if we can.

3D is not important, but getting close to plasma PQ is.

I was looking at the Sony HW30, but I'd rather not spend that much if I don't have to. Plus I'm, not sure it's the best PQ for 2D.

Here's the room (since I have no idea what I'm doing) and am not sure what will work in our space:
Your post does not have a question. What do you want us to help you with?
Adopted Blu-ray long before its development and launch.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #4

Aug 2011
Cincy, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
This room presents some real challenges for front projection. The big windows will be difficult to cover, especially if that top arched one currently let's light in. The throw distance is pretty far to shelf mount on the rear wall and the slanted ceiling will make a ceiling mount more difficult and I'm not sure you want a projector hanging from your ceiling in the middle of the room. Table mounting is a possibility but it will change the layout of the room. Finally the wall where the tv is has a door in it so that could limit the size of screen you use if you fixed one, I suppose a drop down is an option. So... Without considering what projector you can look at in the 3k range I've gotta ask... Is there another room you use?
+1 to all of this!
Sony HW30AES
Screen Innovations performance 100" 1.3g Solar 4K
Denon 4311ci
Klipsch RC3
Klipsch KLF-20x 2
PS4
HSU VTF-15H
Psn id BornSlippyZ010
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

Jul 2008

OK, sorry for the omissions!

First, I want PJ suggestions. Hence the price range.

Second, that's not a door, but another window. As far as windows go, no problems, this will be a night time only PJ.

As far as mounting, I was hoping for ceiling at the rear, not at the apex. So the throw would need to be in the 20' range.

Finally, I definitely want drop down, as we intend to keep the plasma for non-movie watching. The screen will go in front of the plasma.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #6

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

As long as those hanging lamps are not in the way I don't see a problem.

First ~ You can find all kinds of ceiling mounts to use to hang the PJ.

Second ~ I can only suggest my opinion on Blacks & a PJ & that would be an Epson That I own, 8700UB (UB stands for ultimate blacks) Have not seen one better but that is my opinion Paid $2K for it.

You can very easily get what you are after for 2500 or less shopping around I think.
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
OK, sorry for the omissions!

First, I want PJ suggestions. Hence the price range.

Second, that's not a door, but another window. As far as windows go, no problems, this will be a night time only PJ.

As far as mounting, I was hoping for ceiling at the rear, not at the apex. So the throw would need to be in the 20' range.

Finally, I definitely want drop down, as we intend to keep the plasma for non-movie watching. The screen will go in front of the plasma.
Good input if the viewing is evening only that's great. Really the options in the 3k range are the Epson 5020, the Panasonic PT-AE8000u, the Sony you've mentioned but there is also this years model HW50 then finally the JVC XLA-30 I'd put in this range as well. The JVC and Sony like you've discovered push towards the 4k mark where as the Panasonic and Epson come in around 3k. Short of the JVC these are all this years models I've mentioned and there is VERY little unbiased/independent reviews of them, so you may have people pushing you to one or another but I would take those recommendations with a grain of salt as I doubt there are many people around who have actually had the opportunit to view all 4 of these projectors in the same setting all dialled in.

As far matching your plasmas blacks... From what I've read you will need to step towards the Sony or JVC to accomplish that. That isn't to say both the Epson and Panasonic wouldn't impress you I'm just repeating what I've read written about these manufacturers in the past. Until this new crop of projectors has been out for a bit and some more reviews surface I'd say its anyone guess which will be best as there could still be a Optoma, BenQ or Mitsubishi to consider.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #8

Dec 2009

The screen technology you choose will play a significant role in getting the most out of whatever projector you go with so keep that in mind. I've been out of the front projection game for a while, but I'm sure others may have suggestions.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #9

Mar 2012

Looks to me like you might consider a few gallons of paint in your plans as well. You could spend 10k for a top end Sony or JVC projector with the best contrast ratio but if all all those white walls are bouncing stray light back on your screen you'll have muddy greys, not blacks.

Agree with previous poster about projector opinions. I enjoyed the high contrast ratio my Epson "UB" projector for 800 hours, then the main board failed. $1200 to repair out of warranty and Epson's customer service response was weak. I moved on to JVC. So you can guess my opinion on brands right now. I will tell you that if you shop for JVC "B" stock projectors you can get a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #10

Apr 2009
Ottawa, Canada

AVS has B-stock JVC DLA-HD250s for ~$1,300 (vs. $2,500 at Amazon). If the warranty's there, I'd snag a B-stock unit.

I've had my DLA-HD250 for ~5 months and I'm still wowed by the PQ (colour, detail and black levels). And I continue to enjoy its other features, like motorized shift/focus/zoom, super-quiet operation, and intuitive menu system and remote.

Last edited by eljay; 11-08-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

That's actually a great deal OP. The B-Stock items overall are a steal right now over on AVS.

I've recommended the RS40 to others (B-Stock) with positive results as well.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post
That's actually a great deal OP. The B-Stock items overall are a steal right now over on AVS.

I've recommended the RS40 to others (B-Stock) with positive results as well.
That's a sweet deal on the RS40 and HD 250. Let me check my bank account...

[Show spoiler]...nope, can't do, not even at that low of a price

They are still sweet deals.
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #13

Jul 2008

OK, where are you guys seeing the B stock? I can't find it.

Forget it. Found them.

What about the 40U? A bit more money but still in my range.

Also, wasn't there some kind of bulb issues with these JVCs?

Last edited by Abouna; 11-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:

Blown waaaay out of proportion. They loose a lot of brightness in the first 500 hours. Guess what all lamps do. I just replaced my first at 2100 hours and it was still bright enough to make my eyes squint on bright scenes. I got the occasional flicker that was easily fixed by putting into high lamp mode for an hour. After that it would not flicker for another 500 hours.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.

BLU's FOR SALE
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #15

Mar 2012

Quote:
OK, where are you guys seeing the B stock? I can't find it.

Forget it. Found them.

What about the 40U? A bit more money but still in my range.

Put in a phone call to Mike or one of the other salesmen. They have a good reputation for keeping their customers happy. JVC has been pretty good about it as well. Mine's not installed yet but if 2d movie viewing is most important to you, from what I've been able to gather from my research the rs40 can't be beat without spending another $2000.

I still think you need to do something about all those white walls, though!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #16

Jul 2008

OK, well I talked for just a short while to Mike. Sounds like the 40U is likely the answer (I'd prefer the 45 but he has no more stock).

I'm a little foggy on 16:9 vs 4:3 screen though. I mean I get it all for HDTV purposes, but I know nothing about projectors.

One last thing that came up, Mike mentioned motion and that alerted me to one of the main reasons I went plasma on my TV. I'm extremely sensitive to motion blur on traditional displays. Should this be a major concern?

Last edited by Abouna; 11-09-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
OK, well I talked for just a short while to Mike. Sounds like the 40U is likely the answer (I'd prefer the 45 but he has no more stock).

I'm a little foggy on 16:9 vs 4:3 screen though. I mean I get it all for HDTV purposes, but I know nothing about projectors.

One last thing that came up, Mike mentioned motion and that alerted me to one of the main reasons I went plasma on my TV. I'm extremely sensitive to motion blur on traditional displays. Should this be a major concern?
You'll want to go go with the 16:9 screen without question. The 4:3 aspect ratio is a hold over from standard definition televisions of days yonder.

To your second point, I too am very susceptible to motion blur. Outside of my projector, I own two plasma displays for that reason. On my JVC RS20u I don't notice any motion blurring at all. The newer JVC's do have some frame interpolation picture modes that you may or may not find to your liking but you can turn all of that off as well.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #18

Jul 2008

Well, I missed all the B stock, so I guess the search goes on!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

Keep checking with them. They come and go so you have to be a bit vigilant...
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #20

Mar 2012

I just installed my new B stock RS40 tonight. Awesome service from AVS. The unit came double boxed and aside from a few scuffs on the bottom of the unit it looks new. Brand new 3rd series lamp already installed so I don't expect any premature lamp failures in my future either.

Picture quality is dramatically better than my recently deceased UB series Epson. It's brighter, much sharper, more saturated colors. Just all around better. Plus it looks completely badass on my ceiling!

If you aren't in a hurry, I'd continue to check back with them. When I placed my order they also mentioned some B Stock Sony's coming in soon. I hear they are a great all around projector as well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors