COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Flowers of Evil: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$41.89
Revolution: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Snow White and the Huntsman (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Napoleon Dynamite (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Dec 2011
Default Streaming 3D Movies?

I didn't see a topic here about this so sorry if it's been discussed.

When do you all think that apps like netflix, vudu, etc...will be streaming 3D movies to rent? Unless there are ones out there I am unaware of.

I love 3D movies, but it's disappointing that most of them are 30 dollars and up and I usually only watch them once. How far away is this?

Thoughts?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

Vudu has been streaming 3D movies for over 2 years now.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

And that's, of course, if you have a net-smart player or PS3 to watch them in the living-room on. (Don't know of any 3D mobile tablets yet, m'self.)
If you do have a PS3 in the living room, their Vudu app lets you download the complete file to watch without streaming, in near-Blu HDX quality, for about $6.99 overnight...Assuming you can find something by Sony or Disney that hasn't been embargoed as Sale-Only for $34.99

Meanwhile, if ALL YOU'RE LOOKING FOR is rental, 3D-BlurayRental.com seems to be stepping up its business--
Not only offering a selection of 2D New Releases, but they'd gotten so many customers looking for a title-by-title Netflix Lite, they're now offering a monthly Netflix-style hard-disk subscription, including the 3D titles, starting at 1-out/5-limit for $15.99/mo.
http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/-s...Categories.bok
(Which, if you get more than three 3D rentals in one month, pays for itself. With the sudden flood of summer titles coming out in October/November, I've decided to take a couple months and catch up.)

Last edited by EricJ; 11-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #4

Jan 2010
Elk Grove, CA

Netflix just announced streaming 3D available today. For now it is only available on PS3 and select LG 3D TVs and only if you have a participating ISP. The selection I've heard is mostly documentaries at this time. They also announced improved 1080p streaming that they are calling SuperHD that also requires a participating ISP but is available on more devices. Still kinda limited but at least it's a start.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside217 View Post
Netflix just announced streaming 3D available today. For now it is only available on PS3 and select LG 3D TVs and only if you have a participating ISP.
Namely, an ISP that uses Open Connect networks.
To check: https:slash-slashsignup.netflix.com/superhd (Replace blue italics with // )

Mine doesn't (Comcast).

Last edited by EricJ; 01-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Now, I hope apple now jumps on the bandwagon and offer 3d streaming and HD sound formats.

Crossing fingers.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
Now, I hope apple now jumps on the bandwagon and offer 3d streaming and HD sound formats.

Crossing fingers.
Or better yet, full-download, as iTunes and Vudu offers.
3D can only come through on a 720-1080 HD stream, and if that's the stumbling block for streaming-only sites like Netflix and Amazon, and cause technical problems for folks at the other end, might be too much trouble.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2012
Los Angeles

I had no idea netflix was doing 3d, i'll have to check my isp when I get home to see if it qualifies.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Bumping the thread for those who just found out:

Apparently, the whole "Exclusive Open Connect" idea didn't go over, so Netflix is now this week (eight months after the last post) offering SuperHD and 3D on their regular catalogs, to whoever has a fast enough connection--7m/s for SuperHD, 12m/s max for 3D.
As for selection, don't get your hopes up: Since they don't master the disks themselves, they only have the 3D masters provided to them by films they acquired after they started 3D (like Immortals, Sammy 1, and Cave of Forgotten Dreams), by weird foreign toons and Well Go Asian films, and by whatever IMAX and original programming has been showing on 3Net.
(IOW, mainstream movies they got from Epix, like Hugo and The Avengers, are sadly without.)

Was watching it on my PS3 app, which automatically djusts picture quality to streaming rate, and even on a 3.5 m/s connection, was able to get 4 or 5 minutes of 720 3-D at a stretch with gaps and reloads. (About as well as I do on Vudu with an HD stream.)
It can be done, but anyone with "average" connection will just have to have a little patience.

Last edited by EricJ; 09-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion