COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #3761
jomari jomari is offline
Moderator
 
jomari's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post
ps anyone hear of Bic Acoustech, these look and seem badass. 279, some good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...stech+Speakers
Bic America is one of those companies in the mainstream that was in direct competition with this one in the earlier years, and still is a great contender. i chose the AA sub because it was new, it was different, and well, the early adopters were also willing to play guinea pig on them. it worked out for most of us, but for others, well, as always, companies should always consider customer service as an integral part of their product as well.

Moving forward, i do believe there is a dedicated thread for the bic subs, and a good amount of followers.
System is very busy now.
Thank you for visiting KONAMI ID portal.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like you to try to access again in later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #3762
Tom V. Tom V. is online now
Senior Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post
ps anyone hear of Bic Acoustech, these look and seem badass. 279, some good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...stech+Speakers
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

The subwoofer I recommended above(pa 150) would be equal to 2-3 of the PL200s. I would suggest everyone spend some time at the data-bass site before making a purchase decision.

Look closely at the "max burst" CEA SPL output data. Remember, if subwoofer A has 6dB more than subwoofer B....that means it would take 2 of subwoofer B to equal A.

Tom V.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #3763
symphx symphx is offline
Junior Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

Thanks Tom, and all. Im sorry I missed the link to the pa-150 and somehow went straight to the pro audio one. My understanding is 15 inch may be too big for being 8-10 feet away and I may not "appreciate" the proper sound waves. In fact on reviewer mentioned smaller gives a tighter punch (even 10 inch) and less rumble.

That pa-150 does look like a monster though! Good news WAF front. I may get to hook up both I think with that I will have plenty of bass, now its a matter of arrrrrg, possibly drilling holes (really just expanding 2 I have) , the speaker wire will need to go under house.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #3764
symphx symphx is offline
Junior Member
 
Oct 2012
Default omg fun reading the data sheet

so I picked one sub based on stats hoooooooolly molly bat cave shaker;

http://www.paradigm.com/products/pro...ure-series/sub

9000 peak watts, 10 drivers! 4 of these may literally blow the house down (or even one!)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #3765
Tom V. Tom V. is online now
Senior Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post
Thanks Tom, and all. Im sorry I missed the link to the pa-150 and somehow went straight to the pro audio one. My understanding is 15 inch may be too big for being 8-10 feet away and I may not "appreciate" the proper sound waves. In fact on reviewer mentioned smaller gives a tighter punch (even 10 inch) and less rumble.

That pa-150 does look like a monster though! Good news WAF front. I may get to hook up both I think with that I will have plenty of bass, now its a matter of arrrrrg, possibly drilling holes (really just expanding 2 I have) , the speaker wire will need to go under house.

I'm not sure who told you anything about "sound waves from a 15", blah, blah..." But I can tell you...that is pure BS.

Regarding "tight bass" and small subs....

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=knowhow&type=1

Read all of them---but esp #6.

This is Josh Ricci's site. He is one of the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to low frequency acoustics. Please---listen to him before some anonymous "reviewer" on amazon..

Tom V.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #3766
Tom V. Tom V. is online now
Senior Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post
so I picked one sub based on stats hoooooooolly molly bat cave shaker;

http://www.paradigm.com/products/pro...ure-series/sub

9000 peak watts, 10 drivers! 4 of these may literally blow the house down (or even one!)
Josh Ricci reviewed that one too..

Very good performer. Quite expensive of course but it is hard to argue with it's performance capabilities. I kinda dig the 3 sided thing too..

Tom V.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #3767
symphx symphx is offline
Junior Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
Josh Ricci reviewed that one too..

Very good performer. Quite expensive of course but it is hard to argue with it's performance capabilities. I kinda dig the 3 sided thing too..

Tom V.
I should clarify I didnt buy it no way, I meant I picked it to check out further, based on the stats u told me about, Ill stick with what I got, right now Im battling some ear fullness/ pressure pains from too much loud noise anyway!

thanks again for your help
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #3768
CoMaToast CoMaToast is offline
Special Member
 
CoMaToast's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Minnesota
27
126
Default

to all the n00bs here... I cant believe this Amp problem is still going on... As a car and HT enthusiast / builder for 10 yrs, I am going to tell you , dont waste your money on this garbage.. unless you like low quality bass, NO bass reproduction below 30 HZ ( which is where 90% of movies are at ) , distortion , and descent volume at best ( if packed with poly )



Save youeself a few buck and get the polk psw 110 or 112 which is a better, louder, cleaner sub, for less.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #3769
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default Two 12" AA subs for 2 channel

Hi All,
This is my first post here.

I am thinking of putting 2 subs in my 2 channel system. I was going to put my speakers (Klipsch Heresy II with external crossovers) on top of the subs to save space and meet the WAF. I am using an integrated tube amp. I have two Emotiva subs in my home theater but I can't use them with the tube amp.

I was thinking of getting 2 of the AA 12" because the footprint if similar to the Heresy's.

How good are these for music only?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #3770
theJman theJman is offline
Senior Member
 
theJman's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
New Joisey
Default

I don't imagine you'll find the AA subwoofers to be musical - they're bargain subs, which often substitute clarity and precision for output. Your Emotiva's will be far more musical and articulate. Why can't you use the Emo's with your amp? Line level inputs perhaps?
- Jim
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #3771
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
I don't imagine you'll find the AA subwoofers to be musical - they're bargain subs, which often substitute clarity and precision for output. Your Emotiva's will be far more musical and articulate. Why can't you use the Emo's with your amp? Line level inputs perhaps?
The Emotiva subs don't have line level inputs, only XLR and RCA. My tube amp only has speaker level outputs.

I was thinking of building a couple myself also.

I don't see details about the amps, I assume class D?

Can the AA subs be modded? I built external xovers for my Heresy's and rebuilt my phono preamp with new op amps and caps.

Last edited by cyto; 11-24-2012 at 03:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #3772
theJman theJman is offline
Senior Member
 
theJman's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
New Joisey
Default

Yea, I kind of figured it had to do with the inputs. What type of mod are you referring to?
- Jim
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #3773
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
Yea, I kind of figured it had to do with the inputs. What type of mod are you referring to?
Upgrading the crossover, driver or amp if needed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #3774
theJman theJman is offline
Senior Member
 
theJman's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
New Joisey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyto View Post
Upgrading the crossover, driver or amp if needed.
Have you considered DIY? If you're willing to go through that much effort to improve the AA sub you might want to just build one instead. That way it will be exactly what you want from the beginning.
- Jim
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #3775
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
Have you considered DIY? If you're willing to go through that much effort to improve the AA sub you might want to just build one instead. That way it will be exactly what you want from the beginning.
I am seriously considering DIY, the biggest problem is making an enclosure that looks decent. I was looking at BASH 300 at part express for $112 shipped. I actually have some extra 12" Klipsch drivers but they were designed for Heresy and Forte so I don't know how well they would work in a sub, and I can't get the T/S specs on them.

The price of one of the AA subs is not much more than a decent enclosure, I was thinking that if it wasn't good enough soundwise I could tweak it to improve the sound. I really don't have the equipment to make an enclosure that would meet the WAF.

I am a constant tweaker though and am OK with getting something close if it can be improved. Check out my Heresy II crossovers:
http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/...%20crossovers/

BTW do you know what class amp the HD AA subs have?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #3776
theJman theJman is offline
Senior Member
 
theJman's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
New Joisey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyto View Post
I am seriously considering DIY, the biggest problem is making an enclosure that looks decent. I was looking at BASH 300 at part express for $112 shipped.
Parts Express sells full subwoofer kits that include everything you need to build a complete unit. If you want to go that route you should check out this link.

If you want to choose your own parts for everything you might want to consider one of the DIY Sound Groups flat packs. With those you just bascially assemble and finish them using whatever you'd like (paint, bedliner, veneer, etc).


Quote:
Originally Posted by cyto View Post
BTW do you know what class amp the HD AA subs have?
I don't know specifically, but my guess would be class D. Those are probably the cheapest to make, parts wise, so it stand to reason that's what AA is using.
- Jim
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #3777
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
Parts Express sells full subwoofer kits that include everything you need to build a complete unit. If you want to go that route you should check out this link.

If you want to choose your own parts for everything you might want to consider one of the DIY Sound Groups flat packs. With those you just bascially assemble and finish them using whatever you'd like (paint, bedliner, veneer, etc).
Thanks for the links , kits do not interest me as I prefer to choose my own components. The flat packs look very interesting, the prices are pretty good considering a sheet of 3/4" MDF is $34 + tax at Lowes. I will have to look at shipping though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #3778
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default

I contacted the sellers and ask what type (class) of amp was in the HD-SUB12 and also the weight of the magnet on the driver.

They said they did not have the answers to those questions
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #3779
theJman theJman is offline
Senior Member
 
theJman's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
New Joisey
Default

If you're referring to TheDeepDiscount then I'm not surprised; they know little to nothing about the AA subs. What's even worse is AA's homepage contains absolutely nothing of substance, which would make me nervous quite frankly.
- Jim
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #3780
cyto cyto is offline
Junior Member
 
cyto's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
If you're referring to TheDeepDiscount then I'm not surprised; they know little to nothing about the AA subs. What's even worse is AA's homepage contains absolutely nothing of substance, which would make me nervous quite frankly.
The AA website does have a manual http://www.acousticaudio.com./Powered_Sub_Manual.pdf, according it all the subs have A/B amps. No info on the drivers.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 110 05-12-2014 12:58 PM
The Official Aperion Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 44 01-30-2014 04:24 PM
The Official JL Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Brain Sturgeon 181 12-25-2013 12:47 PM
The Official Polk Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 619 11-07-2013 04:08 AM
The Official Outlaw Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Alaskankaijudude 103 10-23-2013 04:24 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 PM.