Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
9 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
15 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Sep 2006
Default Sony & Panasonic Sign OLED Agreement

Quote:
In a bid to steal a march on Korean rivals introducing new ultrathin televisions, Sony Corp. and Panasonic Corp. agreed to cooperate on developing a new production technology for large-screen organic light-emitting diode display panels.

Sony and Panasonic said they plan to establish a mass-production method sometime in 2013. The two companies said they are still considering whether to take the next step and collaborate in the mass production of OLED panels and modules. However, both companies said they plan to make their own TVs regardless of their alliance.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...086118534.html
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47946377.../#.T-iEoo4-CXU
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Here's the article from TWICE:

Quote:
Sony, Panasonic Officially Team On OLED TV
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 6/25/2012

Tokyo - Sony and Panasonic officially revealed Monday plans to collaborate on the production of next-generation OLED HDTV technology, with mass production slated to begin in 2013.

The companies said the arrangement will allow them to share each other's core and printing techniques for use in the mass production of HDTV-sized OLED panels, while each company develops and commercialize "its own competitive, high-performance, next-generation OLED televisions and large-sized displays."

The companies said they plan to jointly develop printing method-based OLED technology, which will be suitable for low-cost mass production of large, high-resolution OLED panels and modules.

Sony launched the first commercially distributed OLED TV in 2007 with an 11-inch model, and added a 25-inch professional OLED monitor in 2011, and continued to develop products and mass-produce OLED displays utilizing deposition technologies.

Sony said it has actively promoted the research and development of next-generation OLED technologies such as hybrid OLED element devices and processing (manufacturing) technologies that combine deposition and printing methods, thin film transistor (TFT) drivers such as oxide TFTs, and flexible organic TFTs, and has presented its development results at academic conferences.

Panasonic has been developing large-sized screen, high-resolution OLED panels using an "all printing method," and other approaches, which have are said to be competitive for producing large-sized screens at a lower cost.

Panasonic said it owns the unique production and equipment technologies which enable the production of OLED panels through this method.

The company added that it is also pursuing the future possibility of OLED panels, and is carrying out research and development of advancements in flexible OLED panels and aiming to develop large-sized, high-quality sheet-type displays.

In parallel with the joint development of the next-generation technologies of the OLED panels and modules, Sony and Panasonic plan to continue to study collaboration in the mass production of OLED panels and modules.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

The Japanese firms were being battered by two South Korean firms, so the two Japanese firms teamed up? Sounds good

I think the agreement will be good for speeding up OLED introduction to the market place. TBH, expecting OLED pricing to be like current LCDs is a pie in the sky thought. Not happening but what i do find really great is the fact they won't seem to launch at the same price points of >$10k that Plasma seemed to. Makes it easier for OLED to begin reducing much quicker in the long term and it's a superior tech.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Power Member

Mar 2011

I hope it will come with 4k too
John Macclane; Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Anything that brings the costs of OLED down is good in my books, although at the end of the day I doubt I'll ever buy a Sony model, lol.

These should put both Plasma and LCD to shame, and hopefully finally end the bickering between between proponents of one or the other. I don't really care if they make OLED TVs any thinner than the thinnest models available today; I just want to see excellent picture quality.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Good for both Sony and Panasonic. Two great companies working together spells good things for the future of HT entertainment and OLED is one of them.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro

will oled be better than plasma?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Power Member

May 2010
Denmark

I prefer the Japanese giants to the South Korean giants so I say bring it!
Hands off the compression button, Music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
I prefer the Japanese giants to the South Korean giants so I say bring it!
+1 !!!!!!
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies