Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #61

Jun 2008
Santa Rosa Ca

Been on a X-men kick as of late so I ended up reading
House of M
Second Coming
Messiah Complex
Astonishing X-men
Utopia
Endsong

All of these were really good except Utopia I thought that it was just OK but the others were amazing, really got me to think that either Hope or Scarlet Witch is the most powerful mutant.
Vizio E470VL 47" 1080p 60HZ
Yamaha RX-V371 5.1
Sony BDP-S390
PS3 slim 160gb
WD TV Live Hub 1TB
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #62
Power Member

Mar 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The last few trades I've read:

Superman: Earth One: Volume 2 - I wasn't blown away by the first entry and Volume 2 has the same problems with odd charactierzations especially on Lois and I found the art to be suprisingly messy in spots (odd for such a high profile release). Plus side, their Parasite take was actually pretty intruging, Superman's humanity is a big focus and the ending hooked me to pick-up the third volume.

Mudman: Volume 1 - I always love trying out these Image series in trades (only 10 bucks too). Mudman has a Spider-man vibe going for it. I enjoyed reading it but nothing particularly stood out so I don't think I'd continue picking it up.

Saga: Volume 1 - Without a shadow of a doubt, 2012's series of the year. Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples are doing amazing things with this comic - gorgeous art, sharp writing and big ideas - a Must-Buy in my opinion!

Underwater Welder - Jeff Lemire is one of my personal favourite writers working (Sweet Tooth is always fantastic) and this book is great. It's like an episode of Twilight Zone and is full of Lemire's beautiful stylized art and strong writing.

Those are the novels that stood out recently but as for my higest recommendations. (I'll avoid the great picks everyone posted so far to limit repeats!)

Essex County (Jeff Lemire - brilliant storytelling plus Canadian!)
Chew (John Layman - utterly hilarious)
Daredevil (Mark Waid - Waid's reboot is beyond delightful)
Runaways (Brian K Vaughn - Teen superheroes done right)

and perhaps my favourite graphic novel of all time:

Daytripper (Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon) - No comic has ever stood out to me more with it's sheer beauty in storytelling than this book! If you haven't read it, I encourage you to do so
Read comics! Watch Movies! Experience Music!
Enjoy Life!

Pop-Punk will never die!!!

Last edited by dvd_mazter; 11-16-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #63
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_mazter View Post
Daytripper
I LOVE this one.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #64

Sep 2011
St.Louis

1.Watchmen
2.The Golden Age
3.JLA/Avengers
4.JLA Earth 2
5.Sandman Neil Gaiman
6.Kingdom Come
7.Batman The Killing Joke
8.The Dark Knight Returns.
9.Marvel Zombies
10. Batman Year One.
11.Justice League The Nail
12.Death the high cost of living.
13.Joss Whedon's Fray
14.Marvel Apes

There are a lot more good ones as well. If you have a local library check there for graphic novels, all our libraries in the area are connected through a network, I go online and check out graphic novels from all over and they are delivered to our local library. You can check if yours does that, and they might have some on hand. A nice cheap way of reading a wide variety..lol
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #65

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY

Here are some comics that I love that I don't think have been mentioned yet. I'm not sure how available any of these are and not all of them are superhero books.

Blankets - Craig Thompson
Cerebus - Dave Sim
Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison
Jimmy Corrigan - Chris Ware
Goon - Eric Powell
Madman - Mike Allred
Mage : The Hero Discovered - Matt Wagner
Miracleman - Alan Moore / Neil Gaiman
Moonshadow - J.M. DeMatteis
Optic Nerve - Adrian Tomine
Why I Hate Saturn - Kyle Baker
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #66

Oct 2011
Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6AM View Post
Miracleman - Alan Moore / Neil Gaiman
I have been trying to complete my collection of graphic novels of miracleman forever. People just want too much for them.
(btw I like the Watchmen but think it is over rated)

My Recommends besides already mentioned:
Planetary
100 Bullets
Criminal
Sleeper
Powers
Spaceman
Y the last Man
Planetary

I put Planetary twice as it is a comic written for comic fans.

For all the people out there who liked the movie Drive, read 100 Bullets and the Criminal series, they are phenomenal.

As a commentary, I think all of the old Vertigo titles are worth a read , as the companies took all the writers/artists and gobbled them up for the superhero titles.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 AM   #67
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_mazter View Post
The last few trades I've read:

Superman: Earth One: Volume 2 - I wasn't blown away by the first entry and Volume 2 has the same problems with odd charactierzations especially on Lois and I found the art to be suprisingly messy in spots (odd for such a high profile release). Plus side, their Parasite take was actually pretty intruging, Superman's humanity is a big focus and the ending hooked me to pick-up the third volume.
Yeah, I didn't quite understand the big hoopla over Volume 1 either. I thought it was okay. But Batman: Earth One Volume 1 is a completely different story. That book is amazingly good for something that breaks so many rules with the Batman canon, you'd think it would put Batman fans off. But it rocks!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #68
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
I tried reading Watchmen but felt it overwhelming with text everywhere, but it does look great.
I know you feel. I took me decades before I finally just bit the bullet and read every single word of that graphic novel. And let me tell you, it was worth it! It is an amazing read, especially after realizing the fact that even the prose interstitial stuff included between the panel art chapters supports the main story. Astounding read and so glad I forced myself to get through it all.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #69
Special Member

Sep 2012
Los Angeles

Crisis on Infinite Earths - I've had this on my bookshelf for a while but haven't read it yet. Am I going to be lost at all if my DC knowledge is average?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #70
Special Member

Oct 2008

Everyone's posting their lists. Here's my list of faves.

The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
Batman: Strange Apparitions (which I read as single issues as they came out, but the story's so good, I highly recommend this collected edition)
Marvels
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Civil War
Josh Whedon's Fray (thanks for listing that, Nuke67)
Batman: The Killing Joke
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Green Lantern: Secret Origin
Pride of Baghdad
Watchmen
Batman: Earth One
Superman: For All Seasons
Kingdom Come (I also have the awesome dramatized audio cassette version too!)
Road to Perdition
Batman Adventures: Mad Love
DC: The New Frontier
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Between Nowhere and Somewhere

For the last few months I've been really thinking of buying a few graphic novels to read but I had no clue where to start until now. Thanks Guys Now I have to figure out where to buy them from .
"The Moment You Underestimate Your Opponent, You're Already Dead"
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #72

Jan 2009
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nice Guy View Post
For the last few months I've been really thinking of buying a few graphic novels to read but I had no clue where to start until now. Thanks Guys Now I have to figure out where to buy them from .
I'd recommend TalesofWonder or CheapGraphicNovels websites. I've also heard good things about InStockTrades but have not personally purchased anything from them. Amazon is kind of hit-or-miss, given their lax packaging standards, and I've had a few paperback trades ruined by the delivery process (they just used a thin envelope for one and my mailman manhandled and folded it to get it into the mailbox...). TOW and CGN are good though and provide some very sturdy packaging.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #73

Dec 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconklin519 View Post
Has anybody read this and is it really any good?
Very cool take on Superman. I enjoyed it and Mark Millar is a good writer. This is one of his best works, not including his own creator-owned stuff.

My current list of GN's would be:
Batman - Black Mirror - Great story pre-new 52 by snyder
Chew - really funny series, great pacing
Irredeemable - Mark Waid again, really cool take on a "Superman" type hero going bad
Incorruptible - Not as good as irredeemable, but in the same universe and the flip context (bad guy going good). great in conjunction with Irredeemable, ok on its own.
Walking Dead - duh
Thief of Thieves - didn't pick up the issues, so tried the trade. Quite surprised by the pacing, storytelling mechanic, and now I'm ready for the next one.
Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2 - Real fun, and different (slightly) from the movie, I recommend reading them for more Kick-Ass fun. Waiting for Hit-Girl to hit since the issue release has been shoddy
Soulfire - I recently picked this up and just started. I've always liked Michael Turner and the first volume of Fathom was one I enjoyed. Cool take on dragons, magic, and technology. I really enjoy the artwork.

New 52 Trades - Batman vol1, GL vol1, and Aquaman vol1 are must haves. I would also recommend Flash and Wonder Woman because those have been artistically dynamic, and solid on their stories. Batwoman also gets kudos to its art dynamics.

I could go on forever, but no one wants to hear that
PS3-currently playing:NFS:MW, PSASBR, BLOPS2, AC3
PS VITA-currently playing:Gravity Rush, Uncharted:GA, Rayman Origins, DJMAX Technika Tune, PSASBR
BD Titles: Total 163 titles + 67 steelbooks
next on list: RE Retribution SB, Total Recall SB
my extras: Cinderella, Brave, and Nemo MetalPaks

Last edited by kinjutsu11; 12-06-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: cuz im dumb, its mark millar, not waid...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Between Nowhere and Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinjutsu11 View Post
Very cool take on Superman. I enjoyed it and Mark Waid is a good writer. This is one of his best works, not including his own creator-owned stuff.

My current list of GN's would be:
Batman - Black Mirror - Great story pre-new 52 by snyder
Chew - really funny series, great pacing
Irredeemable - Mark Waid again, really cool take on a "Superman" type hero going bad
Incorruptible - Not as good as irredeemable, but in the same universe and the flip context (bad guy going good). great in conjunction with Irredeemable, ok on its own.
Walking Dead - duh
Thief of Thieves - didn't pick up the issues, so tried the trade. Quite surprised by the pacing, storytelling mechanic, and now I'm ready for the next one.
Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2 - Real fun, and different (slightly) from the movie, I recommend reading them for more Kick-Ass fun. Waiting for Hit-Girl to hit since the issue release has been shoddy
Soulfire - I recently picked this up and just started. I've always liked Michael Turner and the first volume of Fathom was one I enjoyed. Cool take on dragons, magic, and technology. I really enjoy the artwork.

New 52 Trades - Batman vol1, GL vol1, and Aquaman vol1 are must haves. I would also recommend Flash and Wonder Woman because those have been artistically dynamic, and solid on their stories. Batwoman also gets kudos to its art dynamics.

I could go on forever, but no one wants to hear that
I do
"The Moment You Underestimate Your Opponent, You're Already Dead"
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #75

Apr 2010

Superman: Red Son

An elseworld's book where instead of landing in Kansas he lands in Communist Russia. A friend of mine who hates Superman loved this book. It's written by Mark Millar so that should tell you right there it's worth reading.
That boy is about to seek revenge over the town that murdered him. He knows this, he says, because he himself is the heir apparent to that throne of terror so long held by the likes of Voorhees, Myers and Krueger. This man's name is Leslie Vernon.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #76
Banned

Jun 2012

kick ass
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #77

Apr 2009

+1 to Miracleman...been awhile since I read it, time to dig it out.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #78
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Any reason why Gotham Central collected editions are listed as hardcover when they're paperback? I just got book 1 in the line of duty and it's a paperback.

Barns & Noble is the only one who list it right. Or is there hardcovers i don't know about?

Book is amazing so far by the way.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #79
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Nashua, NH

Was revisiting some Geoff Johns this week. Infinite Crisis is such a fun and exciting story. Superman: Brainiac is decent. Flashpoint is great in concept and design, but overall, feels like it falls short of delivering a satisfactory way to relauch an entire stable of comics. And I suppose Batman: Earth One was interesting. I just really feel that as he's gone on, his quality has diminished. His run on Justice League had been pretty poor up to the time I stopped reading it. And the rumors about his interference on the Green Lantern movie just make me think perhaps this guy has already passed his prime.
TV: Vizio E371VL
BD player: Insignia NS-BRDVD3
Sound Bar: Vizio VSB200
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #80

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Any reason why Gotham Central collected editions are listed as hardcover when they're paperback? I just got book 1 in the line of duty and it's a paperback.

Barns & Noble is the only one who list it right. Or is there hardcovers i don't know about?

Book is amazing so far by the way.
Can't answer your question regarding Hardcover vs Paperback but I wanted to just chime in on Gotham Central being a great read! It is a very well written book. Be careful if going the trade route on this one though...I have a vague recollection of them missing/skipping an issue or two in the trades.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics