Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.07
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #4141
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Exiled on Main Street

I truly believe that younger generations are, overall, beginning to shun excessive numbers of physical copies of pretty much anything, LOL.

My daughter is 19, in school, very social & well-adjusted girl. She's just not interested in the following things:

car (not a brand new one, anyway)
house/real estate/owning property (ditto; she says an apt. leaves her "free to move")
husband (not yet, anyway....a boyfriend is good enough for now)
huge numbers of kids
large collections of "stuff" that are not kept on some type of Cloud-type storage

.....and the list goes on.

I guess that times are a-changin'.

I do agree with her, though; if these things don't/won't make you happy, don't do/get/buy into them. She apparently has learned very early what has taken me nearly 50 years to realize: Don't let your possessions own you.

I've been really obsessive for decades about my collections (I have several), but I've reduced them all (pretty much) to a manageable and fairly portable size, should I ever need to move.
"Jesus, what's with all the greed here? It's unattractive." - Uncle Jack

Last edited by Lemmy Lugosi; 11-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #4142
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
well I guess realizing that is a good first step

I don't get your point. is the issue the BD logo, or t6he few inches or fraction of inches differences between the two devices? I could understand someone saying I want a smart TV because it looks neater then having a player on a shelf/piece of furniture and cable going from it to the TV, but once you have one stand alone device or an other, does it make a difference, would the room really become very crowded with a device that is much less then 1/12th of a cubic foot difference?

yes except for some stupid ones (like the guy POed that he has to pay for Netflix because he thought it would be free with the device) they tend to be positive.

no, I have used and seen the Roku, Unlike you(since you admit you have not tried any BD systems for over a year) , I don't make comments based on ignorant fan boy loyalty

As for Roku existing for a long time, I know, I agree and I did not say that when it came out it did not make sense. In early 2008 there were not a lot of choices for people that wanted to stream video without a PC. But we are not 2008 but at the end of 2012 when every console can be used to stream video (360 - end of 2008, PS3 - 2009, Wii -2010) most new TVs are connected (I think the first ones came out in 2010) and many inexpensive BD players (much cheaper then the Roku). If you don't want to admit the reality of today and that the guy making a purchasing decision for watching streaming video does not care about early 2008 but does care about todayís options, then keep sticking your fanboy head in the sand but don't act as if others don't know what they are talking about.
How long ago did you use a roku sine youd ripping on this guy for not using a bluray player in the last year or two lol. Roku fits in your hand... unless they are making bdps smaller then the discs they play you are way off. The interface is far better then any smart tv.. bdp
.. or game system i have yet to see as well and i have seen this years models and both ps3 and 360.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #4143
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Roku fits in your hand... unless they are making bdps smaller then the discs they play you are way off.
huh? that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Are you saying that you beleive a BD disk is much larger then a 1/12th of a cubic foot? Let's keep it simple, I hope you agree a BDdisk has a diameter<<1 foot, that means the area is << 1 foot and since I hope you can agree a disk is much less then 1 inch thick that would obviously mean that the disk is <<<< 1/12th a cubic foot.

As for what I said, do the math you will see it is true, most BD players size can be found on line.

Quote:
The interface is far better then any smart tv.. bdp
.. or game system i have yet to see as well and i have seen this years models and both ps3 and 360.
but that is your fanboy opinion based on wanting to make an excuse for the extra money you wasted on the Roku. The same way your fanboyism stops you from realizing that a BD disk is much less then cubic inch let alone that it would be <<< then 1/12th a cubic foot.

But I guess some people would rather make sure the device is small because they spend time holding a useless device and spend hours calling it their pretty instead of enjoying a film.

Last edited by Anthony P; 11-14-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #4144
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
huh? that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Are you saying that you beleive a BD disk is much larger then a 1/12th of a cubic foot? Let's keep it simple, I hope you agree a BDdisk has a diameter<<1 foot, that means the area is << 1 foot and since I hope you can agree a disk is much less then 1 inch thick that would obviously mean that the disk is <<<< 1/12th a cubic foot.

As for what I said, do the math you will see it is true, most BD players size can be found on line.

but that is your fanboy opinion based on wanting to make an excuse for the extra money you wasted on the Roku. The same way your fanboyism stops you from realizing that a BD disk is much less then cubic inch let alone that it would be <<< then 1/12th a cubic foot.

But I guess some people would rather make sure the device is small because they spend time holding a useless device and spend hours calling it their pretty instead of enjoying a film.
Yeah im the guy with the fanboy vibe

Roku is the size diameter of a disc, sure they make small bdps, not that small though, but when your trying to keep your HT tidy size does matter, no reason to rail on someone if thats the decision they or waf make. Just pointing out its more then a fraction of inches in size difference as you said but you must be one of those people who see anything not blu-ray as the DEVIL. There cheap and another great way to get your entertainment, in a household that shares devices.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #4145
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

If you can see past the 1990's picture quality and multi toned skylines i guess streaming tech is great. Me, i prefer my picture rock solid!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #4146
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Yeah im the guy with the fanboy vibe

Roku is the size diameter of a disc, sure they make small bdps, not that small though, but when your trying to keep your HT tidy size does matter, no reason to rail on someone if thats the decision they or waf make. Just pointing out its more then a fraction of inches in size difference as you said but you must be one of those people who see anything not blu-ray as the DEVIL. There cheap and another great way to get your entertainment, in a household that shares devices.

Again man, this makes no sense. This has nothing to do with BD vs streaming. Did I talk about people using BDs? No, that is irrelevant, up to a point. I just pointed to the obvious, but you hated that I did that. Unless someone has a smart TV to watch their streaming, it does not matter if it is a BD player or a Roku since both are small but take up place in the room, the BD player might be slightly bigger (which I pointed out) but except for people that want to make excuses for why they had to buy a Roku, no one would care since it is a device that will sit on a shelf/piece of furniture. You blew a fuse because I dared to correctly quantified that difference as much less then 1/12th of a cubic foot. If you replied that you did not have that extra space in the room, then that would have been laughable, but it is your room and you are allowed to care or not about such a small difference in size. But I guess seeing it in black and white that it is much less the 1/12th of a cubic foot you realized how small that difference truly is and so you had to attack the facts instead of your delusions.

As for cheap, maybe in quality , but the point is that they are more expensive then the less expensive BD player, I never said that people need to watch BDs on those players. I was explaining why the CEO had to attack BD, BD players are the only competition to Roku. If someone buys a smart TV for the room then they donít need any stand alone device to watch Netflix, but a new TV is a bit expensive just to watch Netflix. If someone is a gamer and they have a console in the room then they donít need an other device to watch Netflix. So the only market available to Roku is people that want Netflix in a room without a smart TV, no console and no PC, and then if the guy is smart enough to look at all the alternatives for Netflix streaming then they would see that Roku is a more expensive option and it does not offer anything more for the extra price. I was just explaining why the CEO expressed that BD was going to be obsolete by 2016, it was FUD because they want to get gullible people looking for a stand alone player for Netflix not to look at BD players because reasonable people donít go out and say ďI want to buy the device that is form a no-name brand that is more expensive and has less featuresĒ
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #4147
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Ahh i get it now... you have canadian internet, now i understand the hostility.

Compare the interfaces with those "cheaper" players not to mention the applications and services they support compared to a roku. As for the size.. it might not seem like much to you but it is signifigant in terms of shelf space, portability, etc... especially when you already got bdps, receivers, and game stations taking it up. The roku is a compact light and energy effecient device but why am i telling you... you have used one before right.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #4148
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Ahh i get it now... you have canadian internet, now i understand the hostility.
no it is that I have a canadian education and so I understand volume and I am not easily fooled by dumb comments.

Quote:
Compare the interfaces with those "cheaper" players not to mention the applications and services they support compared to a roku.
I have
Quote:
As for the size.. it might not seem like much to you but it is signifigant in terms of shelf space, portability, etc... especially when you already got bdps, receivers, and game stations taking it up.
but iof you have a game cionsole then why would you need any other device to take up that precious space in order to watch your Netflix films. Are you not bright enough to realize you can watch it on the PS3, 360 and Wii so whichever one you have it will do the trick?

Quote:
The roku is a compact light and energy efficient device but why am i telling you... you have used one before right.
I agree, did I dispute any of that? what you are missing is that it is an extra device that is expensive and useless since in many rooms people have that option with no device and if people don't then they have cheaper compact light and energy efficient devices to choose from.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #4149
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Why doesn't the CEO talk about how Roku is better than Blu-ray? Better picture quality? Better sound?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #4150

Nov 2012
Sweden

Some good points here. Most people I know (regular non film-freaks) have always stared in disbelief when they see my DVD collection. They usually stream or download movies (maybe see them in theatres and rent them) but a lot of people don't really see the need to rewatch movies that much. When DVD first came out, it had very obvious practical advantages over VHS (lighter and smaller format, no need to rewind). Also you couldn't just download or stream anything in the days before highspeed internet, you had to go to rental places, and when they made the switch, you made the switch basically.

VHS to DVD made practical sense. DVD to BD is more about the optimal viewing experience - most people aren't geeks like that. Then again, my mom who's very far from a film geek is a blu ray convert, so maybe people'll come around.

Also, I think not making BD region free was a huge mistake.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #4151
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

I don't understand all the anger here.

When it comes to viewing movies my first choice will always be blu-ray. Cannot beat the picture and audio quality.

My second choice is Vudu HDX files. It is a super-convenient option at times. I can select from a large library of movies and TV shows when I am up in bed watching the flatscreen -- or even when I go to a friends house (using their SmartTV app).

My home office has a flatscreen and basic cable. I have an AppleTV box in here. It's too limited.

I plan to get a Roku 2 SX so I can have many more streaming options including use of my Vudu collection.

I do believe the Roku CEO was blowing himself when he said "blu-ray will be obsolete by 2016." There is a time and place for streaming and a time and place for blu-ray discs. They will coexist for many years to come.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #4152
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMan View Post
I truly believe that younger generations are, overall, beginning to shun excessive numbers of physical copies of pretty much anything, LOL.

My daughter is 19, in school, very social & well-adjusted girl. She's just not interested in the following things:

car (not a brand new one, anyway)
house/real estate/owning property (ditto; she says an apt. leaves her "free to move")
husband (not yet, anyway....a boyfriend is good enough for now)
huge numbers of kids

large collections of "stuff" that are not kept on some type of Cloud-type storage

.....and the list goes on.

I guess that times are a-changin'.

I do agree with her, though; if these things don't/won't make you happy, don't do/get/buy into them. She apparently has learned very early what has taken me nearly 50 years to realize: Don't let your possessions own you.

I've been really obsessive for decades about my collections (I have several), but I've reduced them all (pretty much) to a manageable and fairly portable size, should I ever need to move.

lol, you described just about EVERY 19 year old for the last 100 years
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #4153
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
A point about TV shows - many of them were filmed on SD videotape, which would basically make a BD release pointless. Also, if a show didn't sell well enough on DVD, studios won't bother with a BD release.
The latter point is one of the biggest issues, even facing releasing more DVD sets of a particular season, Alot of money is pumped into royalties and rights to release older shows with no financial reward. thus the honeypot of releases slowed alot.

We as Americans are people of "possessions" while countries like Japan are a rental market where they dont hoard movies and such. Its all about culture as well.
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #4154
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Anthony when you finally manage to meet a girl you might realize why i would want a roku that can be easily transferred to another tv so the game station is not the only streaming option. Weird how people can have different circumstances or benefits you can't see right. Enjoy your electronic superiority complex bub.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #4155

Jun 2011

Lol the Roku is irrelevant when you have streaming content on your blu-ray player and tv. Good luck Roku..
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #4156
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Yes, agreed. The arguments switch from technical ones such as the quality of streaming or bluray to lifestyle ones like family, kids etc.. Does not change the fact that streaming is a deeply flawed format. Why would someone who cares about quality suddenly think 'oh, so and so has kids, i will change my mind, I actually love streaming now'? One can only speak of their personal preference, so why would they give a crap about lesser formats regardless of someone having five kids or whatever.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #4157
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Anthony when you finally manage to meet a girl you might realize why i would want a roku that can be easily transferred to another tv so the game station is not the only streaming option. Weird how people can have different circumstances or benefits you can't see right. Enjoy your electronic superiority complex bub.
lol man, so before you did not know anything about measurements and said something stupid;

then you did not know anything about internet connections (or Canada) and did the same again

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...-networks.html
now the info might be a bit outdated but even though Netflix did say they would post charts every month they never continued it because loudmouth fanboys thatdid not want to deal withy reality preferedc shooting the messenger than accepting the fact that the internet access in the US is pretty crappy and crappier then in Canada

so know why would you think that you know anything about my love life? and how does that have anything to do with the size of devices?

As for needing to move it from TV to TV, have you ever thought that if you did not over pay for the Roku just because there is no BD logo on the box, maybe you could afford more players and then you would not need to move it to different TVs

And why would this discussion have anything to do with you or me. I made a simple claim, the Roku CEO said a bunch of FUD now that the players (that just also happen to play BDs) from other manufacturers have become cheaper because they are his completion.
If Joe bought his 360 in 2005 and the HD-DVD add on in 2006 and vowed when HD-DVD went belly up that he will never watch a film on BD and has it in his living room to watch Netflix, he does not need an extra device in there to watch his Netflix films. If Joe has his laptop in his office and watches Netflix on that he does not need anything more there, if Joe just got a smart TV for his kitchen because the old one broke then he can watch his Netflix films there as well. So what if Joe is now thinking “hey the only TV I can’t watch my Netflix on is in the BR, maybe I will do something about that”. He is thinking “my TV is still good, so I don’t want to spend the money to get that, I won’t be playing xbox games in the BR, so that is overkill” and he goes to the store for a box where he can use with Netflix. Now if he goes starts shopping and as an HD-DVD fanboy he says I don’t want a player with a BD logo or if he does not look at them because he read “BD is doomed” then he might buy the Roku for the room. But what happens if he has an opened mind? He looks at all the machines that do Netflix and he looks at the Roku and it is unrecognizable, while some of the rest are well known brands he likes; he looks at the prices, the Roku is more expensive; he might think, hey I don’t want to watch BDs since I vowed never to watch one, but I do have some DVDs so that is an extra feature (and if he has a DVD player there already he can get rid of it). These are what he is most likely to consider important and not how much less then 1/12th of a cubic foot difference there is between the two players, he might say “looks smaller” but then again he will probably also think “I will put it on the dresser were it will collect dust for as long as it works so who cares”.
The issue is that Roku needs to convince Joe to buy their player to continue doing business, they already sold you that one player that you are moving from room to room.

PS I included the smaller charts from Netflix since the bigger ones are way too big, if people want details then follow the link and click on the small charts. But just to add a bit of info, the scale is a bit different in the two charts. For the US the range is 1000-3000 and increments of 200 for Canada it is 1000 to 3500 and increments of 500. Each coloured line is the average kbps for HD movies per carrier, for HD it should be 4800kbps but when the BW is not there the system bumps down the bitrate to minimize troublesome artifacts like judder and so lowers the quality of the video you watch.

Last edited by Anthony P; 11-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #4158

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
most people don't want to have to upgrade to a new medium every 4-5 years....i think that's the biggest problem.
The time difference between the first DVD player and the first Blu-ray Disc player is far more than 5 years. So your "4-5" theory is nulled.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #4159
Expert Member

May 2011
Colorado

One my friends has a 720p widescreen LCD TV. She still buys the DVD instead of Blu-ray. She said "I don't have one of those really fancy TVs so it doesn't matter". She also likes the DVD because it's a couple bucks cheaper for new releases.

I asked her how long she plans on keeping her movies, and if she ever might get a better TV later. The question blew her mind. I don't think people always think ahead.
Blu-ray Disc addict
XBOX ONE early adopter
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #4160
Power Member

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Probably because the change from a chunky video tape to a disc was different and appealing.

Going from DVD to Blu is kind of the same so hasn't gotten peoples attention so much
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology