Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moebius (Blu-ray)
$17.97
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Katy, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
MYSTERY SOLVED:

The supplied Audyssey mic was bad. It's packaged in a corner of the shipping box and said corner was smushed. Since the mic shows no physical signs of damage, I thought nothing of it. However, when I reran the calibration today (bi-amed, since I've no clue where I put the bridge clips that came with my RF-63's), it acted incredibly weird. The mic was demanding I set my subwoofers incredibly high (one at max only barely reached 73 dB) and the resulting audio was horribly aggressive no matter the volume. It once again set my towers to 150 Hz and now it claimed my surrounds and center should be each set at 90 Hz.

So, to test a theory, I used the mic that came with my TX-NR705. My subs have their gains now set to only a quarter turn, my towers were set to 40 Hz, and my center and surrounds were set to 50 Hz respectively.

Now who do I turn to replace the mic? Audyssey directly or to Onkyo?
I think you would go to Onkyo directly, but I think the mic you used from your 705 may still not be right with the 5010. I recall reading when I went from an 876 to the 3008 that I had to use the 3008 mic for correct/best results because the 876 mic was different (can't remember if they visually look different).
"Home Theater" Set-Up
TV- Mitsubishi WD-82738 ~ 11.2 Speakers- Mirage OMD-28 (FL/FR), OMD-C2 (FC), OMD-15 (FLW/FWR), OMD-5 (HL/HR), OMD-15 (SL/SR), & OMD-R (RL/RR) ~ Subs- SVS PC13-Ultra, SVS PC12-NSD ~ Receiver- Onkyo TX-NR3010 ~ Amps- Emotiva XPA-2, Emotiva XPA-5 ~ BR Player- Panasonic DMP-BDT350 ~ 12v Trigger- Niles CS12V ~ Protection- APC-J15, Emotiva CMX-6 ~ Sat/Remote- DirectTV HR22-100 DVR / Harmony Touch ~ Gaming/Multimedia - PS4/Xbox ONE/PS3/Xbox 360/PC

Last edited by Stitches; 11-03-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
I think you would go to Onkyo directly, but I the mic you used from your 705 may still not be right with the 5010. I recall reading when I went from an 876 to the 3008 that I had to use the 3008 mic for correct/best results because the 876 mic was different (can't remember if they visually look different).
They certainly look different.

This is the TX-SR705 mic:

This is the TX-NR5010 mic:

Those aren't my pictures, by the way. Those are just the closest I could find that best represent the mics I have.

I did read up about a mixup with older Onkyo receivers. Apparently my older mic is not an Audyssey mic but an Onkyo mic. Later Audyssey convinced Onkyo to switch to their mics but Audyssey screwed up and sent Onkyo the wrong mics. The wrong mics were labeled AMC-1 and the correct mics were labeled AMC-1H. The new mic I have is labeled AMC-1HB. However, I can find nothing about my mic designation online.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

I got my replacement mic (sent to me by the vendor of my receiver) and gave it a go. It worked like a charm (towers set to 40 Hz, center to 50 Hz, and surrounds to 60 Hz). Also, it did a better job of equalizing the sound than the mic that came with my 705. The receiver has never sounded better.

Now I've finally been able to get good results using other features such as Audyssey Dynamic Volume. It's really come in handy that certain tweaks like the reference level can be adjusted per input rather than globally on the 5010.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I got my replacement mic (sent to me by the vendor of my receiver) and gave it a go. It worked like a charm (towers set to 40 Hz, center to 50 Hz, and surrounds to 60 Hz). Also, it did a better job of equalizing the sound than the mic that came with my 705. The receiver has never sounded better.

Now I've finally been able to get good results using other features such as Audyssey Dynamic Volume. It's really come in handy that certain tweaks like the reference level can be adjusted per input rather than globally on the 5010.
glad to hear it's all worked out, you have one beast of a receiver
AUDIO EMOTIVA XMC1 XPA3 XPA2
SPEAKERS STUDIO 100s V.5 CC590 ADP190S
VIDEO SAMSUNG PLASMA 58 INCH
OPPO BDP 93 / ERC3
GAMINING PS3 80GIG FATBOY RIP NOW PS3 SLIM 320 GIG
SUBS SVS PB12NSD PARADIGM DSP3100
TURN TABLE - REGA RP6 Ortofon 2m Bronze
CABLES L/R SPEAKERS- AUDIOQUEST ROCKET 33s
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Now that my mic woes are out of the way. I have a question on the picture adjustments. Most of the stuff is self explanatory but what patterns can I use to take advantage of the color brightness and color contrast settings? Will the patterns on AVS HD 709 do the trick?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers