Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia
Default viewing distance

probably done to death im still googling away

but im thinking about moving my pj and would most likely restrict me to around 100" screen some where close to max zoom (unsure whether this is a bad thing or not cant seem to find any info) however my seating is approx 3.5-3 metres say at 3 meters is 100" screen size to close ?

i checked the pj calc and it says range between 3.1 to 4.7 so would it be safe to assume it will be fine at that distance ?

cheers
sam
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
probably done to death im still googling away

but im thinking about moving my pj and would most likely restrict me to around 100" screen some where close to max zoom (unsure whether this is a bad thing or not cant seem to find any info) however my seating is approx 3.5-3 metres say at 3 meters is 100" screen size to close ?

i checked the pj calc and it says range between 3.1 to 4.7 so would it be safe to assume it will be fine at that distance ?

cheers
sam
I always say, "Who cares what the calculations say. If it doesn't cast shadows and looks good to your eyes, it's the perfect distance!"
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I always say, "Who cares what the calculations say. If it doesn't cast shadows and looks good to your eyes, it's the perfect distance!"
I'm liking it !!! Ha ha just want to make sure it will be ok before I go ahead and pull it down from where it resides currently
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Special Member

Nov 2011

Basically, you should not sit further away than double the screen width, and may have difficulty taking in all the action sitting closer than one screen-width away from the picture (perhaps a bit closer for classic 1.33:1 movies).

If you have a 100" diagonal screen, that's only a little over 8 feet wide, so a good viewing distance would be anywhere from about two or so meters away to maybe five or so meters away (closer for the narrower aspect ratios).
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Cool thank you appreciate the replies fellas !!!

I'd be losing about 8inch in size but would be moving about 1.5 metres closer so would I be right in assuming that will more than
Make up for downsizing ?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

I think you should be OK but you did not say if 100" is diagonal (how TVs are measured) or wide (like projectors are measured), what projector you have...... and all of those will make a difference. With 1080p I find that it still looks good enough at a bit over one screen width away (for 16:9) but I would not go any closer because the resolution is really not there.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I think you should be OK but you did not say if 100" is diagonal (how TVs are measured) or wide (like projectors are measured), what projector you have...... and all of those will make a difference. With 1080p I find that it still looks good enough at a bit over one screen width away (for 16:9) but I would not go any closer because the resolution is really not there.
Thanks for the reply anthony

Yeah 100" diagonal

My pj is an Optoma HD33 I basically only use it for blu ray movies and occasionally gaming

I currently have 108" electric drop down and am sat about 4 metres away don't think I can achieve that size on
The projection distance I wanna move it to so 100" is bout as big as I can get from My calcs

Will most likely project directly onto the wall if I move it then get a flat mounted screen down the track when finances permit or I can sell my current one
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

I'm doing a similar thing myself.

Check here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208774

I always work on screen width.

I'm currently sitting 1.2 times the screen width back. 1:1.2.

Will be changing to 1.1. Exactly the same distance back as the screen width.

Must be careful that if you sit closer that the pixel structure doesn't get noticeable. I've tested mine and it is all good. However my projector has e-shift which reduces the pixel size and turns it into a kinda fake 4K.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I'm doing a similar thing myself.

Check here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208774

I always work on screen width.

I'm currently sitting 1.2 times the screen width back. 1:1.2.

Will be changing to 1.1. Exactly the same distance back as the screen width.

Must be careful that if you sit closer that the pixel structure doesn't get noticeable. I've tested mine and it is all good. However my projector has e-shift which reduces the pixel size and turns it into a kinda fake 4K.

Ta Dono
Sounds the goods ! Thanks for the advice

I'm running into another problem now unfortunately

I want to go to 100" from 108" but moving closer so would make up loss of size

But after doing my calcs and checking the projector calculations looks like with my pj I need 332 min to get the 100" size but the depth of the unit is like 32cm which puts me roughly 9cm short
Is there any little tricks to get around this ?

I really wanna move it but I think if I have to go to a what it says works out to be 89" screen max it's a big jump down in size would u agree ?

On another note I remember reading some where you tried the darbee darblet ? Any good and where can I purchase one from ? And what's the cost ? Ha ha ha sorry to pump you for so much info
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Sounds the goods ! Thanks for the advice

I'm running into another problem now unfortunately

I want to go to 100" from 108" but moving closer so would make up loss of size

But after doing my calcs and checking the projector calculations looks like with my pj I need 332 min to get the 100" size but the depth of the unit is like 32cm which puts me roughly 9cm short
Is there any little tricks to get around this ?

I really wanna move it but I think if I have to go to a what it says works out to be 89" screen max it's a big jump down in size would u agree ?

On another note I remember reading some where you tried the darbee darblet ? Any good and where can I purchase one from ? And what's the cost ? Ha ha ha sorry to pump you for so much info
Hhhhmmm, I don't really know how to get around your throw distance problem. Can you do a test run against a wall? Just measure your distances and project against a blank wall. 89" is a big step down from 108". Can you set the room another way if you can't get the throw distance?

The Darbee Darbet is the product of the year in my books. It is that good. Got to use it in small doses. One of those cases where smaller is better. Don't know where you get them in AUS. I got mine from a local seller in NZ.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Quote:
Hhhhmmm, I don't really know how to get around your throw distance problem. Can you do a test run against a wall? Just measure your distances and project against a blank wall. 89" is a big step down from 108". Can you set the room another way if you can't get the throw distance?

The Darbee Darbet is the product of the year in my books. It is that good. Got to use it in small doses. One of those cases where smaller is better. Don't know where you get them in AUS. I got mine from a local seller in NZ.

Ta Dono
Ok mate thanks nah unfortunately that's the whole point of wanting to move it so I can have my couch a different way to what it currently is that and was interested in getting a fixed screen it will keep for now I guess it's not bad just not ideal is all

Yeah keep hearing good things about it why do you say it needs to be used in small doses ?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:

Yeah keep hearing good things about it why do you say it needs to be used in small doses ?
In high levels it looks like a really fantastic 3D image with pop effects. It can be distracting. Like watching a 80's movie like Robocop and it looks like Avatar. However in smaller levels it retains the original film look, but emphasises subtle detail that would have got lost. So the end result looks like you are looking at the very best master of a film instead of something fake. One really good thing it does is neutralises soft scenes with detailed scenes on older films. Everything looks detailed. No dramatic soft and detailed scenes.

Take a look here for the effects. http://forum.blu-ray.com/group.php?d...4&pp=10&page=4

Ta Dono

Last edited by Badas; 11-16-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Quote:
In high levels it looks like a really fantastic 3D image with pop effects. It can be distracting. Like watching a 80's movie like Robocop and it looks like Avatar. However in smaller levels it retains the original film look, but emphasises subtle detail that would have got lost. So the end result looks like you are looking at the very best master of a film instead of something fake. One really good thing it does is neutralises soft scenes with detailed scenes on older films. Everything looks detailed. No dramatic soft and detailed scenes.

Take a look here for the effects. http://forum.blu-ray.com/group.php?d...4&pp=10&page=4

Ta Dono
Um wow !!!! I'm sold gotta try find one
I get your explanation to makes a lot of sense thanks heaps let you know if I find one
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #14

Jan 2008
Southern California

Screen Size and Viewing Distance Calculators:

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...alculator.html
http://av-products.com/ScreenCalculator.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...calculator.cfm
http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/land...ce-calculator/
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Thanks Big Daddy. I knew the projector central one. I should have suggested it.

Ta Dono
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors