COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Justified: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.69
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts (Blu-ray)
$76.89
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$15.78
On the Beach (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008
Default tough decision on which model to buy

okay so im in the market for a new TV, i have never owned a plasma before and thinking about picking up my first one.. I have also been very loyal to Samsung with my TV's, to make a long story short im looking at the Samsung -8000 series 51" Class - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV, i honestly will never use the 3D but the better tvs just happen to be the 3D ones.. now i keep hearing and reading about the Panasonic plasmas I believe the GT series.. i found this one Panasonic - VIERA / 55" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / Smart / 3D / HDTV

my question is what is the better TV, i will mostly be using it for Blus and Sports.. room is not that dark but it is at nighttime of course.. i have a Samsung LCD750 series with 120hz and love the motion flow soap oprah look.. any advice would be great, oh and i have seen both of these in person and watched the same bd for both, i think the Panasonic looked a tad better.. opinions please
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2007
USA

This thread might be helpful
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=207453
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

If this is your only choice of two tv's then go with Panasonic.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

If 3D isn't that important , every thing I read on the Samsung 6500 series is very positive for cheaper, if saving some coin is attractive to you.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrob View Post
yea i looked through this,, didn't get to many answers i was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
If this is your only choice of two tv's then go with Panasonic.
you recommend any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
If 3D isn't that important , every thing I read on the Samsung 6500 series is very positive for cheaper, if saving some coin is attractive to you.
yea i can't stand 3D and will never adapt to it.. but people keep saying the best picture quality for tvs are the 3D ones thats why im lookin at those 2 models..
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
yea i can't stand 3D and will never adapt to it.. but people keep saying the best picture quality for tvs are the 3D ones thats why im lookin at those 2 models..
Yep that's how it is. The sammy 6500 are 3D, just that it's not the best for 3D. But if I had to buy now it would be between the panny ST line or Sammy 6500. Both best bang for the buck in many's opinion. I haven't compared them in a store (I keep away when I'm not ready) but if I were you that's what I'd do. Their price is great. You'd have to spend much more for a comparable led/lcd. Both these are not top of the line but do give you a top of the line picture in 2D.

cnet has a nice read for you
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

Jul 2009

I have 3 Samsung CCFL LCD's of various sizes, and I just bought one for my mother to replace her dying tube TV. But I just ordered my first plasma, the 50 inch Panasonic ST50. I never thought I'd go plasma, but after lots of research and forum reading, I felt it was the best option at the price I wanted to pay. What sealed the deal was taking my wife to Best Buy and seeing the step-down UT50 compared with everything else (they didn't have an ST50 on display). It was no contest, especially compared to the edge-lit LED's I had been considering. I would imagine the GT50 is just as good, though it costs more for the dual processor and THX certification, which are not important to me.
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma
Denon AVR-1911; Oppo BDP-83
Fluance AVFR fronts, AVSC Center; Klipsch R-2650-W surrounds
Acoustic Audio HD-SUB10
Basement: Samsung LN-T4053H LCD
PS3; XBOX 360; Wii; NES
Denon AVR-1613; Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Expert Member

Apr 2007

I own a Samsung plasma and a Sony LCD. In my opinion the plasma is far superior to the LCD in every aspect. In particular, when watching sports there is a noticeable difference. If I ever buy another tv I will almost definitely go with plasma. But please keep in mind I'm certainly no expert on the subject; rather, just a regular viewer telling u my personal preference.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world ~Gandhi
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Power Member

Aug 2007
USA

Quote:
okay so im in the market for a new TV, i have never owned a plasma before and thinking about picking up my first one.. I have also been very loyal to Samsung with my TV's, to make a long story short im looking at the Samsung -8000 series 51" Class - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV, i honestly will never use the 3D but the better tvs just happen to be the 3D ones.. now i keep hearing and reading about the Panasonic plasmas I believe the GT series.. i found this one Panasonic - VIERA / 55" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / Smart / 3D / HDTV

my question is what is the better TV, i will mostly be using it for Blus and Sports.. room is not that dark but it is at nighttime of course.. i have a Samsung LCD750 series with 120hz and love the motion flow soap oprah look.. any advice would be great, oh and i have seen both of these in person and watched the same bd for both, i think the Panasonic looked a tad better.. opinions please
Seeing as you already seen them in person, I say quit screwing around waiting for an opinion and get the Panasonic. That's my opinion.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #10

Nov 2008
Mascoutah, IL

Quote:

Love my Panasonic VT30 plasma (still like my Sony XBR452 - but the Panny is way better)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion