COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts (Blu-ray)
$76.89
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
On the Beach (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Dexter: The Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Default New 2011 Blu-ray players are starting to appear with no analog video and audio output

New 2011 Blu-ray players are starting to appear on the market with no analog video and no analog audio outputs at all

This new Onkyo BD-SP309 Blu-ray player has only one HDMI output with no internal flash storage for BD-LIVE. This is the very first 3-D Blu-ray player on the market that requires a person to own a new TV with a HDMI input or DVI input with the use of an adapter (The old profile 1.1 Denon DVD-2500BTCI HD transport was the first Blu-ray player with no analog video and no analog audio outputs).

** This Onkyo BD-SP309 Blu-ray player has no analog video outputs and no analog audio outputs at all. Not even a 480i composite video output. **
http://images.blu-ray.com/news/upload/144.jpg

In the future one day all new models of Blu-ray players will have no analog video outputs or the analog video output will be disabled when playing Blu-rays, and most will have no analog audio outputs

This will be bad for consumers that want to replace an old DVD player with a Blu-ray player. They will be required to purchase a new modern HDTV display with HDMI inputs (Some will need a new A/V receiver also). People with older HDTV’s and older SDTV’s with no HDMI input that do not want to replace their TV’s will need to start purchasing discontinued 2010 Blu-ray player models.

Players like the OPPO BDP-93 and OPPO BDP-95 with 1080i analog component video outputs should be in production until December 31st 2011.

Quote:
"with the exception of Existing Models, any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only [composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video]. Existing Models may be manufactured and sold by Adopter up until December 31, 2011."

AACS Adopter Agreement (see page 105) December 31st 2013 is the deadline to remove or disable all analog video outputs including 480i composite video outputs on new Blu-ray players.

** The reason for all this is to protect movies from being copied from the analog video outputs on the Blu-ray player with a copyguard removing device. In the future only Blu-ray players with encrypted HDCP HDMI connections will be on the market **

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-13-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Edited for accuracy
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

The Denon DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray player was the first Blu-ray player that did not have any analog video or analog audio outputs. It was called a Denon DVD-2500BTCI and it only had one HDMI output since it was a HD Transport Blu-ray player. It was designed to connect directly to a Denon A/V receiver or HDTV with HDMI.
http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...ILit_1212A.pdf

This new Onkyo BD-SP309 for $249 is for mainstream consumers and it is not called HD Transport Blu-ray player.

The 2011 Panasonic and 2011 Toshiba Blu-ray players removed all the component video and 7.1 analog audio outputs from every new 2011 model. This year Onkyo decided to go one step further and remove the 480i composite video and 2 channel analog audio output.

What bothers me is that I use to tell people that a Blu-ray player will connect to any old TV set on the market (Old Blu-ray player models had component video and S-Video, etc). I have seen many people purchase Blu-ray players for their existing old SDTV’s and HDTV’s and then about a year or two later upgrade their displays to modern ones with HDMI inputs. Now soon I am going to have to tell friends, relatives, and other people that they need to also purchase a new display with HDMI inputs since their old display lacks HDMI or DVI inputs with HDCP.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-13-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Hey HDTV1080P
I wonder if you could answer a quick question.
For output settings on my Sony blu ray player, my options are:
YCbCr(4:2:2) or
YCbCr(4:4:4) or
RGB

I used the search, but couldnít find anything. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

btw
Our tv is Sony 55HX701, which is 240hz.
Thanks Man.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #5

Mar 2011
Canada
Canada My take...

New Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players are out of Component Video outputs now.

- And the vast majority of Blu-ray players are also out of Multichannel analog outputs as well.

Everything is condensing and downsizing!

Where you have about two dozen of connectors on Blu-ray players in the past, you are now with less than ten of them!

This is very sad as HDMI is a totally flawed format! Video is problematic with integration (compatibility) with your TV and receiver or pre/pro, and Audio is inferior to Analog!
...And we know many of the HDMI issues, like Audio dropouts and Video sync issues, plus a whole lot more....

They just make a bad technology even worst now by eliminating what is truly best!

Cheap, plastic, poor build, reliability and durability issues are now the norm!
And many manufacturers don't keep track with firmware updates and customer support!
We live in a sad world where people just want to keep making more money with inferior products and technology!

Don't distort the truth, it is a fact!

...And that was my take.
Only in your Dreams...
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstasy View Post

Sony still has component video jacks for now. The 2011 Sony Blu-ray players so far this year are using 480i component video for Blu-ray movies instead of 1080i component video. In the future all Blu-ray players will have only HDMI for video output. HDMI has improved over the years, there are less problems with HDMI version 1.4a and HDMI version 1.3.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-16-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Hey HDTV1080P
I wonder if you could answer a quick question.
For output settings on my Sony blu ray player, my options are:
YCbCr(4:2:2) or
YCbCr(4:4:4) or
RGB

I used the search, but couldn’t find anything. Any help is appreciated.
Normally the Blu-ray player when handshaking over HDMI will correctly set the color space automatically. You can manually change this setting if you want. Here is a detailed information link on the YCbCr color space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr
Old 04-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Normally the Blu-ray player when handshaking over HDMI will correctly set the color space automatically. You can manually change this setting if you want. Here is a detailed information link on the YCbCr color space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr
Detailed information is right. A bit over my head,haha!
I had an issue with lip sync latency and was told to turn off CEC (or whatever itís called). I think I found that info on this site.
I guess what Iíll do is turn it back on and see what setting they do after the handshake, then turn off that feature again.
Thanks for reply 1080P.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #9

Mar 2011
Canada
Canada

Quote:
Sony still has component video jacks for now. The 2011 Sony Blu-ray players so far this year are using 480i component video for Blu-ray movies instead of 1080i component video. In the future all Blu-ray players will have only HDMI for video output. HDMI has improved over the years, there are less problems with HDMI version 1.4a and HDMI version 1.3.
Well, that ain't high def picture any longer right?

Also, I disagree with you about HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 improvements! Maybe in your own personal experience it is what you saw; but certainly not from the masses out there!
Only in your Dreams...
Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Well, that ain't high def picture any longer right?

Also, I disagree with you about HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 improvements! Maybe in your own personal experience it is what you saw; but certainly not from the masses out there!
Yes 480i is SD quality.

In the old days I have had some HDMI and DVI handshaking issues with consumer products that caused the product not to work at all over digital connections. When I started purchasing higher-end products that were Simplay HD certified I no longer had any more handshaking issues.

90% of consumer HDMI products that are HDMI version 1.3 or later will handshake correctly. HDMI products that are Simplay HD certified and connected to each other will work 100% of the time with no problems according to Simplay Labs.

http://www.simplaylabs.com/consumers/verified_products.aspx

“Simplay HD verified

In order to earn the Simplay HD logo, a product has to prove that it meets the highest standards for acquiring and sharing a high-definition digital signal. Our laboratories also test products for interoperability, to make sure all certified devices work together flawlessly.”

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #11

Mar 2011

I believe my LG BD630 will do 1080i from component. At least, it shows this option in the setup menu. Haven't tried since I'm on HDMI.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziltink View Post
I believe my LG BD630 will do 1080i from component. At least, it shows this option in the setup menu. Haven't tried since I'm on HDMI.
The LG BD630 is another Blu-ray player people can purchase if they have an older TV with no HDMI input.

The LG BD630 was manufactured or announced on or before December 31st 2010, so it is allowed to have a 1080i component video output. The specs at this website also list the LG BD630 has 1080i component video output.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757839-REG/LG_Electronics_BD630_BD630_BLU_RAY_DISC_PLAYER.htm l

Under the AACS adopter agreement LG and every other company that makes Blu-ray players will be required to stop manufacturing Blu-ray player models with 1080i component video outputs on December 31st 2011.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-20-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #13

Mar 2011
Canada
Canada

Talk about many people that are going to be left in the cold!
Only in your Dreams...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #14

Dec 2009
India
Thumbs up

Quote:

- And the vast majority of Blu-ray players are also out of Multichannel analog outputs as well.

Everything is condensing and downsizing!

Where you have about two dozen of connectors on Blu-ray players in the past, you are now with less than ten of them!

This is very sad as HDMI is a totally flawed format! Video is problematic with integration (compatibility) with your TV and receiver or pre/pro, and Audio is inferior to Analog!
...And we know many of the HDMI issues, like Audio dropouts and Video sync issues, plus a whole lot more....

They just make a bad technology even worst now by eliminating what is truly best!

Cheap, plastic, poor build, reliability and durability issues are now the norm!
And many manufacturers don't keep track with firmware updates and customer support!
We live in a sad world where people just want to keep making more money with inferior products and technology!

Don't distort the truth, it is a fact!

...And that was my take.
Well Said ! And i like to add one thing here is that today's computer manufactures & electronic giants keep changing things so that the consumers keep changing their consumer durables every 3 years.Or they do not give support or the desired spares to maintain our 5 year old products.Iam reminded of the animated movie 'Robots'!

Love,
kris.
God Is With You !
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #15

Jun 2010

Quote:
What bothers me is that I use to tell people that a Blu-ray player will connect to any old TV set on the market (Old Blu-ray player models had component video and S-Video, etc). I have seen many people purchase Blu-ray players for their existing old SDTV’s and HDTV’s and then about a year or two later upgrade their displays to modern ones with HDMI inputs. Now soon I am going to have to tell friends, relatives, and other people that they need to also purchase a new display with HDMI inputs since their old display lacks HDMI or DVI inputs with HDCP.
Agreed. I have told several people, this past year or so, who do not own an HDTV, but are looking for a new DVD player, just to get a Bly-ray player since they can now be had for under $100. I explain that they can watch Blu-rays on their SD sets and they will look just as good as DVD, then once they upgrade to a HD TV, they will have a collection of BD's to watch. Which I considered a HUGE selling point to ease into the format since millions of homes are still SD TV only. Sadly looks like this will be no more. BTW, Usually they reply, I do not want to replace all my DVD's, I then explain that the Blu-ray players will play their DVD's and they do not have to replace every DVD they own, but that is a whole nother topic.
TV-Panasonic Viera Plasma 42px80u, Blu-ray/DVD-Panasonic DMP-BD75, X-Box 360-250 GB Slim, Pre Amp Processor-Yamaha RX-A820, Power Amp-Carver Premiere AV-705x, Laserdisc-Pioneer DVL700, CD player/Component CD burner-Marantz DR700, Turntable-Harman Kardon t-45 w/Ortofon Super OM 20 Cartridge, Phono PreAmp-Music Fidelity XLP, Front Left/Right Speakers-Definitive Technology BP8, Rear Left Right Speakers Definitive Technology BP2X, Center Speaker-Definitive Technology C1, Subwoofer-Eosone RSP 912

Last edited by Dean L; 05-09-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #16

Nov 2012

We bought Toshiba laptops with bluray players.
Last night, in front of a waiting crowd, the laptops would not play the disk on the projector. "Stopped ... analog video ... "

It seems a bit of a rip-off to have the devises we bought for playing BluRay to be disabled.

I am curious if there is laptop software that WILL play BluRay disks out to a projector with only analog video input?

I am not planning to steal content, just trying to use content for the purpose I bought it.

Any help on good blu-ray video player programs that bypass the problem?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #17

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzoo2 View Post
We bought Toshiba laptops with bluray players.
Last night, in front of a waiting crowd, the laptops would not play the disk on the projector. "Stopped ... analog video ... "

It seems a bit of a rip-off to have the devises we bought for playing BluRay to be disabled.

I am curious if there is laptop software that WILL play BluRay disks out to a projector with only analog video input?

I am not planning to steal content, just trying to use content for the purpose I bought it.

Any help on good blu-ray video player programs that bypass the problem?
PM sent. Check your inbox.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 11-18-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders