Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, From $3.99 »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
14 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
9 hrs ago
The Newsroom: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
14 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
21 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post
panasonic but I'm pretty sure they don't use it.
correct on both accounts
Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
correct on both accounts
and I don't get that at all.
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 AM   #23
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Vt50 hands down. If not the st50 or midrange Samsung d6500 to 7000 series have the best value or the UN led series. Each tv brand has its own pros and cons. The panasonic may have deeper blacks and pop but the samsungs do have better video processing which might be big for you if you watch lots of compressed sdtv and HDTV. I know the samsungs can have buzzing from my d450 Sammy set but to be honest I sit back in bed about 10 12 feet and barely pay attention to it. Only the brightest scenes do you hear it. When I first got the set it bothered me like hell. Being some test material and try the TVs out. Overall either a Sammy middle series or panasonic st series will be great TVs and also easy on the wallet

Last edited by v_squared123; 11-18-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #24

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
I'd assume it's a money issue maybe also an energy issue. I've read kuros are a bit of power hogs so maybe they can't get the tech to meet current energy star compliances. This is just speculation on my part obviously so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by makinbiscuits; 11-18-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Not much better value than the UT50 series from Panny if you have complete lighting control in your room. I have a GT50 and only IR issues of note are within the first 20 seconds of powering the TV on, this goes away very quickly though (which is the case with IR, if if were permanent it would be burn in).

This is my third Panny plasma and I've never had burn-in issues.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #26

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Also I'm going to say this again. If a break in period is a mandatory process in order to age the phosphors and make a television operate properly and protect it from IR/burn in, then it should absolutely be the manufacturer's responsibility to make it a part of the manufacturing process of that television! It should not be expected of the consumer to have to ONLY watch 16x9 content for 3 weeks after purchase, nor should it be expected of the consumer to run break in slides. The only thing a consumer should have to do is unbox the thing, plug it in and turn it on!
The break in process is not intended to prevent IR/burn in. The slides are used to evenly age the phosphors so your settings will, for lack of a better term, "stick".
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #27
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
money basically, Kuro technology is expensive to implement and they would be making 3-5 grand tv's if they used that tech. No one wants to pay that price so they just shelved it.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
money basically, Kuro technology is expensive to implement and they would be making 3-5 grand tv's if they used that tech. No one wants to pay that price so they just shelved it.
One would think that since the "tech" that went into the KURO is already like 5 years old, it wouldn't be as expensive now as it was back then. I realize that the KURO was ahead of it's time but it's not like they reversed engineered some alien technology.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #29

Aug 2011
Portadown

Well after having my heart set on the 55" ST50, Richer Sounds no longer had it in stock in my store in Northern Ireland. The next best deal after them was 500 more expensive.

I'm now considering buying the Song Bravia HX853 55" Model. I've heard some excellent reports on this model and can get it for under 1500. Does anyone have any feedback on it?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #30

Dec 2012

Hallo guys.
I thing you went with Samsung after comparing both brands side by side and have had no issues with our plasma HDTV. Nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #31

Aug 2011
Portadown

Good afternoon friends,

Well after the disappointment of not being able to order the 55ST50 before Christmas, I was able to get it ordered for 999 from Richer Sounds, saving 300 on the initial price!
I'm getting it next Saturday all being well. Can't wait!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #32

Dec 2009
India

Quote:
One would think that since the "tech" that went into the KURO is already like 5 years old, it wouldn't be as expensive now as it was back then. I realize that the KURO was ahead of it's time but it's not like they reversed engineered some alien technology.
Yes,even i thought so.
God Is With You !
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #33

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer1981 View Post
To begin with, any plasma display could potentially have image retention problems if it is not properly "broken in" and calibrated. You absolutely must allow the phosphor trails and gas chambers on every plasma display to properly and evenly ignite and disperse to practically guarantee no permanent "burn in" or "image retention". To accomplish this just simply display HD content that fills the entire screen continuously for about 6 to 8 hours a day for the first 2 or 3 weeks that you own the plasma display.

In addition, I can't stress enough the importance of calibrating your display. Doing so, will not only significantly increase the life of your display by reducing the amount of energy it requires to operate, but it also ensures that you are experiencing the best and most accurate picture quality possible.

Secondly, I personally have experienced no image retention problems with the Panasonic vt50 or st50 models. Both of these models from Panasonic produce gorgeous picture quality and accuracy, with little to no problems to speak of.

If you are adamant about picture quality and performance from your home theater display, then I have four solid suggestions for you. From Panasonic either the PVT50 or the PST50. From Sharp the Elite PRO-X5FD; and finally from Samsung the PNE6500

I just bought the Samsung PN60E7000FFXZA last week and so far (knock on wood) no problems..im not that "technically savvy" so i heard a little about calibration and been playing around with the colors and "stuff" does any1 else have this tv and calibrated and would be willing to share their expreciances and how they did it? thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

CNET has provided recommended settings for the PN60E8000. Start with those and then fine tune with a calibration disc (i.e. DVE, Spears & Munsil or just the THX usually featured on Pixar discs).
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #35
Expert Member

Jul 2012
Jacksonville, FL

Plasmas are kinda like playmates, it's almost difficult to find a bad one. Some are better than others of course, but just about all are good. For 2012 its been pretty clear the st50 is the way to go if price is a concern. Just about any plasma from lg, sammy, or panny is better than 99% of the led lcds out there though. Some exceptions do apply, but thats my take.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #36

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
CNET has provided recommended settings for the PN60E8000. Start with those and then fine tune with a calibration disc (i.e. DVE, Spears & Munsil or just the THX usually featured on Pixar discs).
THANKS,,,that did help ,,im kinda shocked at the Sharpness being 0 would actually make a diffrence ,,,but i never heard of a calibration disc but i have the pixar Finding Nemo disc and i cant find anything about calibration oyyy im soooo confused,,,lol i looked on the geek squad page but thats kind of pricey to hire an "expert" to calibrate...or is it??? thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaslow309 View Post
I just bought the Samsung PN60E7000FFXZA last week and so far (knock on wood) no problems..im not that "technically savvy" so i heard a little about calibration and been playing around with the colors and "stuff" does any1 else have this tv and calibrated and would be willing to share their expreciances and how they did it? thanks
Check out http://www.tweaktv.com. I've always preferred their recommended settings over Cnet's.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaslow309 View Post
THANKS,,,that did help ,,im kinda shocked at the Sharpness being 0 would actually make a diffrence ,,,but i never heard of a calibration disc but i have the pixar Finding Nemo disc and i cant find anything about calibration oyyy im soooo confused,,,lol i looked on the geek squad page but thats kind of pricey to hire an "expert" to calibrate...or is it??? thanks
Sharpness should never be outside the 0-5 range. Calibration discs are just DVDs with test patterns to assist in adjusting the gray scale and color saturation. If you're not comfortable with something like that just stick with the CNET settings. Many (most?) Pixar and LucasFilm movies have a simplified calibration tool. Perhaps Finding Nemo isn't one of them. Whatever you do, don't hire the Geek Squad. If you want your TV calibrated search locally for an ISF certified technician to do it for you. Know that it will probably cost you a few hundred bucks. Regardless of what you do, have fun and enjoy your TV.

Quote:
Check out http://www.tweaktv.com. I've always preferred their recommended settings over Cnet's.
That site is indeed worth a look. I checked but didn't see this model or anything similar.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Sharpness should never be outside the 0-5 range. Calibration discs are just DVDs with test patterns to assist in adjusting the gray scale and color saturation. If you're not comfortable with something like that just stick with the CNET settings. Many (most?) Pixar and LucasFilm movies have a simplified calibration tool. Perhaps Finding Nemo isn't one of them. Whatever you do, don't hire the Geek Squad. If you want your TV calibrated search locally for an ISF certified technician to do it for you. Know that it will probably cost you a few hundred bucks. Regardless of what you do, have fun and enjoy your TV.

That site is indeed worth a look. I checked but didn't see this model or anything similar.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess because, at least on my TV, I can definitely tell a difference when I put sharpness down that low, even on HD content. The picture looks soft and for my personal taste I do NOT like a soft picture! I like a razor sharp picture and if that runs the risk of introducing artifacts in the picture well then so be it! I'd rather deal with the artifacts than with a soft picture.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess because, at least on my TV, I can definitely tell a difference when I put sharpness down that low, even on HD content. The picture looks soft and for my personal taste I do NOT like a soft picture! I like a razor sharp picture and if that runs the risk of introducing artifacts in the picture well then so be it! I'd rather deal with the artifacts than with a soft picture.
As a rule of thumb sharpness is usually best when it's not cranked up. Of course this can vary by make and manufacturer. The "best" setting isn't necessarily 0-5, it's whatever yields the best results when employing the test pattern(s). This is usually low on the sharpness scale, but not always.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs