Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: Complete Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
$72.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Jan 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Jimmy Bro Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Bro
Default PowerDVD wtf?

Man I hate this program lol
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I feel bad for anyone still using a HTPC.

I used a HTPC till 2002 or so.

Can't imagine still trying to make M$ product work.

Of couse,... Linux was more fun but ultimately always missing something.

When you can get a "real" blu ray player for $100,... it must be sadness to keep fiddling with a PC hoping the right service pack and security update will finally make the difference.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Jan 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Yeah, it's annoying.

I do have real Blu-ray player and a PS3, but those are in the family room and my family usually makes too much noise, argue alot etc so I watch in my room unless no one else is home or whatever.

Most Blu-ray titles work on my PC. I've only had a few that don't work
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Banned

Nov 2012

i hate it it comes on every single time i pop a disc into my drive even if its jsut a cd
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post

When you can get a "real" blu ray player for $100,... it must be sadness to keep fiddling with a PC hoping the right service pack and security update will finally make the difference.
You haven't read the JRiver review have you? I haven't had a problem with it yet and I don't regret getting rid of my standalone. Here's the link from Home Theater review.

http://hometheaterreview.com/jriver-...ware-reviewed/
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I guess I Still use a htpc none that I think about it.

I have an old MacBook loaded with nothing but lossless audio setup as a media streamer. Also feeding my avr directly via coax digital output.

Sort of forgot that... It's trouble free.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:

I feel bad for people who sit through unskipable trailers, countless FBI warnings, bloated menus and long load times. A ripped 1:1 blu ray running from an HTPC is audio/video nirvana in my books. I've owned an oppo, a Sony mega changer and a ps3 as far as stand alone players are concerned and the HTPC was the best investment I've ever made.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Those are fantastic advantages.

Currently nearing 800 Blu Rays,...I don't want to invest in the hard drive space or the time to make it happen.

But,.. That is great though. Sometimes it takes me several minutes to get a movie started for my kids. Turning off "allow internet access" for Blu Rays helped with that a lot though. Typically the top menu button actually works.

Just remember all those FBI warnings are there to remind you your setup is illegal and can result in jail time. Federal crimes are not eligable for parole and have minimum sentencing. I only know that because someone I know is currently doing 15 for something fairly minor.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Those are fantastic advantages.

Currently nearing 800 Blu Rays,...I don't want to invest in the hard drive space or the time to make it happen.

But,.. That is great though. Sometimes it takes me several minutes to get a movie started for my kids. Turning off "allow internet access" for Blu Rays helped with that a lot though. Typically the top menu button actually works.

Just remember all those FBI warnings are there to remind you your setup is illegal and can result in jail time. Federal crimes are not eligable for parole and have minimum sentencing. I only know that because someone I know is currently doing 15 for something fairly minor.
800 blu's is a whole lot indeed

I've got around 180 HD movies (Between Blu and HDDVD) and at 1:1 they do take up a lot of space. I've got 5TB's mirrored right now. 2x 2TB drives and 2x 3TB drives. I can appreciate the FBI warnings, but when I've got all my originals sitting right next to my media center I think I'll take my chances in court. That combined with the fact I've never had torrent software installed locally I'm guessing I'm not on anyones list to come have my door knocked on. I suppose they could come find me through my posts on here each time I talk about it

Though I am against pirating, this image couldn't be more true from a user experience standpoint:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg legal-dvd-vs-pirate-dvd.jpg (90.2 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by roar; 11-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #10

Nov 2012

^... that's funny but so true.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

That's why I start the disc then do a few things before I'm really ready to watch
PSN: un4gvn2 LIVE: un4givn2

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I'm thankful for this thread. It made me realize that in fact I do STILL use a htpc. It's just a Mac. I've kind of been neglecting it but I'm having fun now working with it.

Cuts inlay not the intention of the thread but a happy result.

Long live htpc.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #13

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn94538 View Post
That's why I start the disc then do a few things before I'm really ready to watch
+1 pop some popcorn - go to the head real quick - whatever and I'm ready when I get back
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
800 blu's is a whole lot indeed

I've got around 180 HD movies (Between Blu and HDDVD) and at 1:1 they do take up a lot of space. I've got 5TB's mirrored right now. 2x 2TB drives and 2x 3TB drives. I can appreciate the FBI warnings, but when I've got all my originals sitting right next to my media center I think I'll take my chances in court. That combined with the fact I've never had torrent software installed locally I'm guessing I'm not on anyones list to come have my door knocked on. I suppose they could come find me through my posts on here each time I talk about it

Though I am against pirating, this image couldn't be more true from a user experience standpoint:

Not true at all, and it's really just an excuse for pirates to hide behind. They pirate not because of trailers, unskippable or otherwise. They pirate because they don't want to spend money. It's that simple.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Not true at all, and it's really just an excuse for pirates to hide behind. They pirate not because of trailers, unskippable or otherwise. They pirate because they don't want to spend money. It's that simple.
I don't pirate a stitch and being able to call up any of my movies instantly is really quite amazing. The setup I have is light years away from the BDP-CX7000ES I use to own, that thing was finicky as heck, forgetting movies, not loading them consistently, taking ages to seek and find titles. Really, I will gladly skirt the law and continue to rip my own media and receive the user experience we all deserve for actually being paying customers.

I think the overhead that blu-ray adds is a complete joke. I've bought and paid for my movie yet I need to sit through all that rubbish? I don't buy into putting the disc in and then walking away and doing something else reasoning, the movie studios don't put all that bloat on their digital copies, why put it on the physical copies?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #16

Dec 2007

Quote:
I don't pirate a stitch and being able to call up any of my movies instantly is really quite amazing. The setup I have is light years away from the BDP-CX7000ES I use to own, that thing was finicky as heck, forgetting movies, not loading them consistently, taking ages to seek and find titles. Really, I will gladly skirt the law and continue to rip my own media and receive the user experience we all deserve for actually being paying customers.

I think the overhead that blu-ray adds is a complete joke. I've bought and paid for my movie yet I need to sit through all that rubbish? I don't buy into putting the disc in and then walking away and doing something else reasoning, the movie studios don't put all that bloat on their digital copies, why put it on the physical copies?
As we all know - the discussion of BD ripping is against site policy. Let's refrain from talking about it to keep this thread alive. Otherwise I will close it.

Prerich.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #17

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
The person you replied to was not making an argument for piracy despite the fact the image they posted was framed within that context. They posted that pic to demonstrate the complete insanity that naturally drives "paying" customers to find alternate means of enjoying the content they "legally" purchased. That should have been clear based on the comment below which prefaced the pic they posted.

Quote:
Though I am against pirating, this image couldn't be more true from a "user experience standpoint".

Last edited by AmishParadise; 11-18-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #18

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by v02 View Post
i hate it it comes on every single time i pop a disc into my drive even if its jsut a cd
Autoplay can be disabled or set to default to a different program for a given type of media. I would also think PowerDVD must offer a settings option which presents a more compact view when it launches. If not, there are plenty of alternatives out there. TMT5 and WinDVD come to mind.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #19

Jan 2011
Melbourne, Australia

What I want to know is why they put a Band of Brothers poster for Skyfall. So random
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:

I have no issues with my Microsoft products. I only use my desktop for Netflix and unblock us (at least as far as TV viewing goes), while I use my laptop for Netflix and unblock us, and foreign blus if I'm travelling, because most people I know lack region B players. The issues I have with software are usually due to 3rd party manufacturers, rather than MS themselves. MS works a heck if a lot better than Apple.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software