COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$24.46
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Like Someone in Love (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #61

Feb 2011

Nate,

I have been using a kindle fire and the Global Cache iTach Wifi2IR and the TouchSquid remote software and out side of some issues I had with the routers and my android devices it has worked very well.

Very customizable remote, I am controling 1 TV, 1 BR Player, 5 Sony 995's, HDMI Switch, OTA Tuner and a Radio and it works very well so far.

The logitech device from what I have gathered is limited in device count and the UI can be a bit tweaky.

I have not tinkered with the roomie apps yet.

Touchsquid also has a nice little tablet with built in IR Blaster and an open sdk so they are welcoming people to delevlope apps for the IR side of teh device if they want, unlike Sony, and Vizio.

-Robert
Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #62

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
I thought I was the only one with a "no Apple policy". I was kind of on the fence with getting an Ipad or waiting out on an Android solution until I learned of Apples crooked 30% cut of third party subscriptions policy and after that I just said "no way" to Apple ever again on the principle of it.

So, if Thinkflood or some other App developer gets their act together on the Android platform that is great news. Otherwise if this preloaded Vizio App works fairly well then you have a great way to differentiate your product from the rest of the Android offerings. I am sure that in time Android tablets will shift the market away from the Ipad but Apple has a easy two year lead in the game. That lame subscription policy will only bolster Androids appeal to third parties who are using subscription based revenue models.
Not only do they take a cut of the money that each user pays, but the developer also has to pay a yearly fee for the privilege of using the API to create apps for apple devices. Not to mention, you also need a mac to create those apps. I have a strict no apple policy but since my stereo is in a closet I needed a solution and the control 4 was the only one and it worked best on the ipad. I told the dealer I didn't want apple but he said not only did the 'remote' with similar capabilities cost 2x more, it also wasn't very stable. So i bit the bullet and got a ipad for my control 4 system.

I can not tell you enough, STAY AWAY FROM CONTROL 4! They don't support the hardware very well and their GUI is old and really needs a major over haul. Looking at the GUI's on here just makes me even more frustrated. I hope soon, it will be just common place for people to be using their tablets or smart phones for remotes and it won't cost nearly as much as any control 4 system.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #63
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib2 View Post
Not only do they take a cut of the money that each user pays, but the developer also has to pay a yearly fee for the privilege of using the API to create apps for apple devices. Not to mention, you also need a mac to create those apps. I have a strict no apple policy but since my stereo is in a closet I needed a solution and the control 4 was the only one and it worked best on the ipad. I told the dealer I didn't want apple but he said not only did the 'remote' with similar capabilities cost 2x more, it also wasn't very stable. So i bit the bullet and got a ipad for my control 4 system.

I can not tell you enough, STAY AWAY FROM CONTROL 4! They don't support the hardware very well and their GUI is old and really needs a major over haul. Looking at the GUI's on here just makes me even more frustrated. I hope soon, it will be just common place for people to be using their tablets or smart phones for remotes and it won't cost nearly as much as any control 4 system.
This is disappointing to read... I don't know a whole lot about Control4, but I thought it was similar to Crestron in that the GUI for the ipad will be as good or as poor as your integrator makes it. Have you been getting any support from your integrator? Or are the answers coming back indicating it is all short comings of Control4?

Edit: I popped on over to Control4's website and it said this about their app: "The Control4 user interface is consistent on every device." That surprised me. I thought they offered more control of their interfaces than that. Though a Crestron integration does cost more than a Control4 one the limitations of the GUI are really only defined by the integrator making it very flexiable.

Last edited by roar; 01-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #64

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
This is disappointing to read... I don't know a whole lot about Control4, but I thought it was similar to Crestron in that the GUI for the ipad will be as good or as poor as your integrator makes it. Have you been getting any support from your integrator? Or are the answers coming back indicating it is all short comings of Control4?

Edit: I popped on over to Control4's website and it said this about their app: "The Control4 user interface is consistent on every device." That surprised me. I thought they offered more control of their interfaces than that. Though a Crestron integration does cost more than a Control4 one the limitations of the GUI are really only defined by the integrator making it very flexiable.

Crestron is more expensive but it supports the hardware much more. For example if I got a rotel tuner, I don't think control 4 will do anything except turn it on and off, but crestron will show the station and everything. Like it says the interface is consistent thus not really supporting the hardware such as in the case I have where I have a single disc SACD player and the mega disk changer with all my CDs has the same GUI and can not skip to the next disc and I can not see my cover art or even the title of the CD.

The dealer can't do anything if control 4 dose not release drivers to support the hardware. Basically it is very controlled by control 4 (maybe thats why they are called control 4) and no one can write the drivers for the hardware. With crestron the dealer has someone working on drivers so the rotel tuner is fully supported on the crestron.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #65
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib2 View Post
Crestron is more expensive but it supports the hardware much more. For example if I got a rotel tuner, I don't think control 4 will do anything except turn it on and off, but crestron will show the station and everything. Like it says the interface is consistent thus not really supporting the hardware such as in the case I have where I have a single disc SACD player and the mega disk changer with all my CDs has the same GUI and can not skip to the next disc and I can not see my cover art or even the title of the CD.

The dealer can't do anything if control 4 dose not release drivers to support the hardware. Basically it is very controlled by control 4 (maybe thats why they are called control 4) and no one can write the drivers for the hardware. With crestron the dealer has someone working on drivers so the rotel tuner is fully supported on the crestron.
If Control4 does not allow their integrators to create 'modules' for lack of a better word for any IR/Serial/IP controlled device then that would be very limiting of it. Crestron does an alright job of writing modules for the broad world of devices out there but by know means is it anywhere near complete, the integrators could never rely on Crestron to stay up to date so they are constantly writing their own to keep up with the demands. Most serial/ip specs are published by the manufactuer and can be implemented by the integrator and for IR devices it is just a matter of capturing the IR codes directly from the remote.

I did a couple of searchs for control4 and serial/ip control and found some links that would leave me to believe that they do support it in some fashion, but again, to what degree I am not sure as I am not a Control4 integrator and I don't play one on TV .

This is the link from the Control4 site discussing 2 way serial/ip control:

http://www.control4.com/documentatio...riverworks.htm
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #66
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
Nate,

I have been using a kindle fire and the Global Cache iTach Wifi2IR and the TouchSquid remote software and out side of some issues I had with the routers and my android devices it has worked very well.

Very customizable remote, I am controling 1 TV, 1 BR Player, 5 Sony 995's, HDMI Switch, OTA Tuner and a Radio and it works very well so far.

The logitech device from what I have gathered is limited in device count and the UI can be a bit tweaky.

I have not tinkered with the roomie apps yet.

Touchsquid also has a nice little tablet with built in IR Blaster and an open sdk so they are welcoming people to delevlope apps for the IR side of teh device if they want, unlike Sony, and Vizio.

-Robert
Thanks for the input Robert,

I didn't realize you could use the touchsquid software on a tablet other than the one of their own manufacture. I'll definitely have to look in to that more.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #67
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
If Control4 does not allow their integrators to create 'modules' for lack of a better word for any IR/Serial/IP controlled device then that would be very limiting of it. Crestron does an alright job of writing modules for the broad world of devices out there but by know means is it anywhere near complete, the integrators could never rely on Crestron to stay up to date so they are constantly writing their own to keep up with the demands. Most serial/ip specs are published by the manufactuer and can be implemented by the integrator and for IR devices it is just a matter of capturing the IR codes directly from the remote.

I did a couple of searchs for control4 and serial/ip control and found some links that would leave me to believe that they do support it in some fashion, but again, to what degree I am not sure as I am not a Control4 integrator and I don't play one on TV .

This is the link from the Control4 site discussing 2 way serial/ip control:

http://www.control4.com/documentatio...riverworks.htm

You know this is disconcerting when you figure in the cost of these products compared to some of the options I threw out there earlier in the thread. I know custom integrators are really pushing Control4 and Crestron but outside of whole house automation aspect they provide I'm finding it hard to see where the value is in them as just a remote control replacement.

I got a real kick out of Grant Clausers recent opinion write up in Electronic House titled Is the iPad a Terrible Home Theater Remote?

He spoke of how important it is to have a centralized app/control system rather than individual manufacturer apps, and I agree with that, but then he goes on to promote only Crestron, Control4, Savant and RTI. Talk about big $$$, and a custom installer only option. Never a hint of the existence of GlobalCache iRule, touchsquid, Cyphersoft Roomie, Logitech, or Thinkfloods Redeye.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #68

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
The other new app is for iOS and called Roomie Remote by Cyphersoft. This one is similar to iRule in that you have to buy a third party IR repeater from Global Cache.

http://www.roomieremote.com/

Anyone have any real experience with either, or even the products from ThinkFlood or iRule?
Jumping into the thread!

I've been using an iPad 1 with a combination of Apple's "Remote" app and Yamaha's "AV Controller" app with good success, but want more capability to control my room and my basic front projector system.

I looked at all of the systems listed in this thread and decided to give the Roomie Remote a shot as it looks like the investment will set me back less than fifty bucks for the apps and another hundred for the Global Cache, which I'll need anyway.

So far I've only got the basic ten dollar app that gives you control over certain IP devices, which for me is only my Yamaha AVR. Once the GC arrives I'll add the rest of the extensions (IR app and HT app) to flush out the rest of the capabilities. I'll initially use the IR control through the GC for my OPPO, Apple TV and Epson projector and then look to include an Insteon IR Linc (also through the GC) for room lighting control.

Integrating all of the remote controls into one device will be great but I'm really looking forward to setting up activities like, "Watch a Movie" to simplify the operation of the system for the rest of my family. I'm going to be so happy if this all works as planned.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #69
Special Member

May 2008
Socal

I rarely visit this part of the forums so missed out on this thread...
As you can see in my signature I use iRule, I was actually one of the beta tester so been using it since day one and I can frankly say that I couldn't see myself without it now!
I know they now have an Android version of it but I don't think it equals the Apple version yet, for what I've been reading that is.
I'm using it with my iPod Touch and my iPhone but wish I could use it on the tablet. My problem is the iPad is just too damn big for a remote and the iPhone a bit too small, IMO.
If only they could release an iPad Mini or an iPod Touch Grande
To get back to iRule, this is the sh*t. You can create your own buttons, backgrounds (or choose from some already made ones).
I command stuff over IR, RS-232, IP such as all my AV equipment, lighting, fans, AC.
Let me know if I can answer some questions for you flatnate.
_____________ __________________________________________________ _____________
Pioneer KRP-600M
Region free oppo BDP-83
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Polk Monitor 60s, Center CS1, Monitor 30s, Polk PSW110
APC H10
iRule on my iPhone4/iPad Mini to control it all
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #70

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS View Post
I rarely visit this part of the forums so missed out on this thread...
As you can see in my signature I use iRule, I was actually one of the beta tester so been using it since day one and I can frankly say that I couldn't see myself without it now!
I know they now have an Android version of it but I don't think it equals the Apple version yet, for what I've been reading that is.
I'm using it with my iPod Touch and my iPhone but wish I could use it on the tablet. My problem is the iPad is just too damn big for a remote and the iPhone a bit too small, IMO.
If only they could release an iPad Mini or an iPod Touch Grande
To get back to iRule, this is the sh*t. You can create your own buttons, backgrounds (or choose from some already made ones).
I command stuff over IR, RS-232, IP such as all my AV equipment, lighting, fans, AC.
Let me know if I can answer some questions for you flatnate.
Are you using the feedback functionality of iRule? I've dabbled in iRule and think it holds real promise. All of my devices are either IP controllable (Onkyo 709, TiVo, HTPC) or RS232 controllable (Oppo BD93). Unfortunately I haven't had time to play with the feedback functionality and am curious as to how folks are using it.
Ken
Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #71
Special Member

May 2008
Socal

I haven't.
For the setup I have I don't see a need for it, yet...
_____________ __________________________________________________ _____________
Pioneer KRP-600M
Region free oppo BDP-83
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Polk Monitor 60s, Center CS1, Monitor 30s, Polk PSW110
APC H10
iRule on my iPhone4/iPad Mini to control it all
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #72
Special Member

Jul 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand.

anyone out there using the sony tablet s as a remote, i'm tempted to get one and give it a whirl.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #73

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nommag View Post
anyone out there using the sony tablet s as a remote, i'm tempted to get one and give it a whirl.
I have one and is the best finger friendly remote control ever. Amazing command learner. And you can map the buttons right on the screen, I like my tablet s better than my harmony 1100, I'm. in love with the big buttons and easy programming. Just order a mount for my recliner, highly recommend. This tablet for ht use.
IMAG0147-2.jpg
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 04-10-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #74
Special Member

Jul 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
I have one and is the best finger friendly remote control ever. Amazing command learner. And you can map the buttons right on the screen, I like my tablet s better than my harmony 1100, I'm. in love with the big buttons and easy programming. Just order a mount for my recliner, highly recommend. This tablet for ht use.
Attachment 46197
Awesome sounds good.

How was its compatibility/setup? What about its other uses, is a decent device in other regards than as a remote?

How good is the IR on it do yoo have to aim it directly at the device or say for example you aimed it at the roof would it still work?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #75

Feb 2008
Baltimore, MD

It definitely makes sense to make a app for your current devices instead of having to buy another remote.
My Systems:
Display 1: 52" Sharp Aquos Quattron LED 920
A/V Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR-607
Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 60s Center: Polk Audio CS2 Sub: Polk Audio PSW-125 Surrounds: Yamaha YHT-790s Gaming Systems: PS3 Slim 320GB, Xbox 360 Slim 250GB w/HD DVD Player, Kinect, & Nintendo Wii U Display 2: Bedroom 42" Samsung Plasma PN42C450 Blu-Ray Player: Samsung BDP-1500 and Yamaha HTIB Display 3: Kids Room 32" Vizio LCD
Blu-Ray Player: Samsung BDP-1000 Satellite Dish: 3 DirecTV HD DVR
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #76

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nommag View Post
Awesome sounds good.

How was its compatibility/setup? What about its other uses, is a decent device in other regards than as a remote?

How good is the IR on it do yoo have to aim it directly at the device or say for example you aimed it at the roof would it still work?

It works fine with any IR universal extender , if you map map it with any harmony remote e you can use the harmony extender but as it is has a good IR distance range. is really good to play ps games with the ps3 controller with no hacks needed . Fast tablet no lags.
And yes if you aim to the roof it will work.. As long as it is in front of the tv of any brand.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 04-10-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #77
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Well I'm here to resurrect my thread from the dead. Long story short, I got sucked in to an audio upgrade this last year and my tablet as a remote project was tabled.

I ended up doing exactly what another user did on here. Took an older Nook color that my dad acquired for next to nothing, dropped Android on it. Then I found a used Global Cache GC-100-12 on eBay for $29.75! Frankly I don't know whats up with that price. Its kinda like when someone on the street comes up to you and is like "Psst... mac... would you like to buy a watch?"... and then you realize that he also has a "Rolex" or two around their ankle as well; because they are selling on Amazon for $263 bucks! I hope it works. I'll post more when it arrives, and after I find an IR blaster to go along with it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion