COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #321
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
You do not need a link, the Pioneer owners manual says Orbiter mode 1 does not work when in Dot by Dot mode however the more aggressive orbiter mode 2 works with Dot by Dot mode. The Pioneer displays only go in Dot by Dot mode when watching a 1080i or 1080P native source material to match the displays native 1920 X 1080P. The Pioneer automatically switches out of Dot by Dot mode for 480i, 480P, and 720P source material.

Also I do not use any power saving modes since the power saving modes reduces the picture quality of the display according to the Home Theater magazine reviews.
Do you have a link to that review? I use PS2 and i don't any picture degradation. Why would a power save mode do that anyway? All it's doing is reducing the brightness.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #322
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Do you have a link to that review? I use PS2 and i don't any picture degradation. Why would a power save mode do that anyway? All it's doing is reducing the brightness.
Reducing the brigtness does change the quality of the picture. Using Save 2 and Save 1 consumes less power by decreasing picture brightness. The professional reviews from Home Theater magazine and other reviews always uses the “Standard” power saving mode when calibrating and reviewing the Pioneers since the brightness is not reduced when more power is being consumed.

Also the Home Theater magazine reviews use the Pure mode for the most accurate color gamut with DOT by DOT. Advanced setting in the Film mode will do a reverse 3:2 pulldown on film based 480i,480P,720P, and 1080i material (72Hz 3:3 pullodown). Also 2-D 1080p/24 material is refreshed at 72Hz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-kuro-pro-141fd-plasma-hd-monitor-settings

"Overscan was zero in 1080i/p (in Dot by Dot—which produces perfect pixel mapping but is not available in other resolutions). At 720p, it averaged about 1.5 percent per side (roughly a 6-percent loss of image area) and in 480i/p about 3 percent (a 12-percent image loss).—TJN"

http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-labs-measures

A few CNET quotes

“While we appreciated the addition of a pair of power-saver modes, which somewhat limit peak light output…”

“According to our tests (see the Juice Box below), Standard did a great job saving power without sacrificing too much light output--a big criticism we had about Panasonic's Standard mode.”

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pioneer-elite-kuro-pro/4505-6482_7-33002556.html

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-11-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #323
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

I know it reduces brightness but to me it's not noticeable in pure and movie mode unless the screen is mostly white. Under mixed color, and changing from PS off to 1 or 2, i don't really notice a change. Now with performance or sport the brightness reduction is real obvious turning power save on. I think because those modes are naturally bright anyway so any brightness change is immediate.

But still, the reduced brightness in performance, or any other mode, doesn't really bother me. All other PQ aspects work as they should. Which is what i was getting at.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #324
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Reducing the brigtness does change the quality of the picture. Using Save 2 and Save 1 consumes less power by decreasing picture brightness. The professional reviews from Home Theater magazine and other reviews always uses the “Standard” power saving mode when calibrating and reviewing the Pioneers since the brightness is not reduced when more power is being consumed.

Also the Home Theater magazine reviews use the Pure mode for the most accurate color gamut with DOT by DOT. Advanced setting in the Film mode will do a reverse 3:2 pulldown on film based 480i,480P,720P, and 1080i material (72Hz 3:3 pullodown). Also 2-D 1080p/24 material is refreshed at 72Hz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-kuro-pro-141fd-plasma-hd-monitor-settings

"Overscan was zero in 1080i/p (in Dot by Dot—which produces perfect pixel mapping but is not available in other resolutions). At 720p, it averaged about 1.5 percent per side (roughly a 6-percent loss of image area) and in 480i/p about 3 percent (a 12-percent image loss).—TJN"

http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-labs-measures

A few CNET quotes

“While we appreciated the addition of a pair of power-saver modes, which somewhat limit peak light output…”

“According to our tests (see the Juice Box below), Standard did a great job saving power without sacrificing too much light output--a big criticism we had about Panasonic's Standard mode.”

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pioneer-elite-kuro-pro/4505-6482_7-33002556.html
Film Mode-Advance won't work for and isn't meant for watching tv if the program is shot on digital cameras. Also if you watch dvd's and blurays of movies and sports shot with digital cameras than Advance still won't work. Film Mode should be turned off for content shot on digital cameras.

When watching film based movies it's best to set your bluray player to 'Source Direct' mode to send the native content off the disc straight through to the Kuro untouched so the Kuro's Film Mode can do it's work. If you set the bluray player to 1080p or any other source than it's the bluray player doing the processing and not the Kuro. Set your bluray player to HDMI High Speed and to 36 bit or 48 bit.

I would not use dot-by-dot for regular tv viewing since and set it to 'Auto'.

Last edited by oppopioneer; 11-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #325
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post
Film Mode-Advance won't work for and isn't meant for watching tv if the program is shot on digital cameras. Also if you watch dvd's and blurays of movies and sports shot with digital cameras than Advance still won't work. Film Mode should be turned off for content shot on digital cameras.

When watching film based movies it's best to set your bluray player to 'Source Direct' mode to send the native content off the disc straight through to the Kuro untouched so the Kuro's Film Mode can do it's work. If you set the bluray player to 1080p or any other source than it's the bluray player doing the processing and not the Kuro. Set your bluray player to HDMI High Speed and to 36 bit or 48 bit.

I would not use dot-by-dot for regular tv viewing since and set it to 'Auto'.
If I am watching a 1080i broadcast program I use Dot by Dot. Dot by Dot automatically switches to off if the program is not 1080P or 1080i. So this is a non issue if the program is native 480i,480P, or 720P since its impossible to use Dot by Dot for those types of programs.

Yes I use deep color 36 bit upconversion on my Blu-ray player since the Pioneer Kuro does not support 48 bit deep color.

Also the Advanced film mode will not work for 1080P 60Hz material do to the limitation of the Pioneer not able to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown for 1080P 60Hz material. I agree with source direct form the Blu-ray player especially if one wants to use the Advanced film mode. The Advanced film mode only does a reverse 3:2 pulldown if it detects the p;rogram is film based or contains 3:2 pulldown from a digital camera. For example if the program is video based without 3:2 pulldown then the Advanced mode leaves the video based program at 60Hz, only if the program contains 3:2 pulldown will it do a reverse 3:2 pulldown and display the image on the screen at 72Hz.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #326
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
If I am watching a 1080i broadcast program I use Dot by Dot. Dot by Dot automatically switches to off if the program is not 1080P or 1080i. So this is a non issue if the program is native 480i,480P, or 720P since its impossible to use Dot by Dot for those types of programs.

Yes I use deep color 36 bit upconversion on my Blu-ray player since the Pioneer Kuro does not support 48 bit deep color.

Also the Advanced film mode will not work for 1080P 60Hz material do to the limitation of the Pioneer not able to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown for 1080P 60Hz material. I agree with source direct form the Blu-ray player especially if one wants to use the Advanced film mode. The Advanced film mode only does a reverse 3:2 pulldown if it detects the p;rogram is film based or contains 3:2 pulldown from a digital camera. For example if the program is video based without 3:2 pulldown then the Advanced mode leaves the video based program at 60Hz, only if the program contains 3:2 pulldown will it do a reverse 3:2 pulldown and display the image on the screen at 72Hz.
Over at AVS, someone posted how Dot-by-dot should be for bluray and everything else set to Full. I usually set my tv screen size to Auto when watching regular tv. I can't tell the difference between Auto and Full. What do they do differently and which is prefered and why?

With regards to Film Mode-Advance, when I watch Comcast HD tv movies in 1080i with Advance on I notice more processing, it's more digitized in fast scenes. It looks more natural with Film Mode off for anything other than bluray. It might also have to do with bandwidth limitations with Comcast as they can't squeeze the information through the lines to the tv.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #327
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

I use dot by dot for everything. I use to use full with orbiter mode 2. But as we all know it's hard to get burn in on the kuros. Im still careful. I use the white screen wash from time to time, but i don't worry about it too much.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #328

Mar 2012
South Italy

I've got my sights on a PDP-LX5090, with funding reaching necessary levels early next year, with any luck.

This is now an "old" Television, but used prices remain very high. Why is this? Is the picture quality, black level, refresh rate, overall sharpness and colour reproduction still competitive with the latest machines from Panasonic, Samsung etcetera?

What pitfalls await the used Plasma TV buyer?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #329
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I've got my sights on a PDP-LX5090, with funding reaching necessary levels early next year, with any luck.

This is now an "old" Television, but used prices remain very high. Why is this? Is the picture quality, black level, refresh rate, overall sharpness and colour reproduction still competitive with the latest machines from Panasonic, Samsung etcetera?

What pitfalls await the used Plasma TV buyer?
I use mine only for movie viewing, and as a monitor while playing music on my home theater PC. This may be true of a lot of Kuro owners - they generally give them tender use, so I imagine most are in very good condition, but that can't be relied on.

After owning it for over three years, I still haven't seen a set that compares with it. Some are close, and quite satisfactory, but the extraordinary black levels and vivid color are still unmatched. The differences are slight - so slight that if pressed, I would say that its not worth the risk to buy a used set, unless you knew something about it - but I'm not selling mine, no way.

I think it will be an heirloom. No one has matched this unit in three or four years, and I don't think other manufacturers will try. They haven't yet.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #330
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

I hear ya Blu-Dog !! I hope to have my Kuro for years to come the PQ is simply amazing and couldn't be happier !
H1,Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD,Oppo 103,Integra DHC-80.3 Pre/pro, Parasound Halo A52.Power conditioners Panamax M5100-PM & Furman Elite 21PFi , SVS-PB13 Ultra & SVS-PB12 Plus : )Klipsch Reference RF7II's,RC64II ,SR Def tech 450's,Speaker cable Monster bi-wire z2 series and Analysis Super oval 9 ; ) ,HDMI AudioQuest Cinnamon.Interconnects Transparent,King Cobra and Diamond Back XLR's .2ch setup Dynaudio 160s/NAD 356bee/ Halo A21 http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=TheFactor
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #331
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
New York

I am still blown away watching the Macy's Parade on my Kuro. Still unmatched in every way..sorry LED/LCd/APPS/3D fans. The Kuros just keep getting better as time passes like a fine wine aging to perfection.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #332
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
I am still blown away watching the Macy's Parade on my Kuro. Still unmatched in every way..sorry LED/LCd/APPS/3D fans. The Kuros just keep getting better as time passes like a fine wine aging to perfection.
I feel the same way, though I'm sure there is some imperceptible degree of quality degradation over time. It certainly isn't something I've noticed and I am still just as amazed with my Kuro as I was the day I took it out of the box and mounted it on the wall.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #333
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
I feel the same way, though I'm sure there is some imperceptible degree of quality degradation over time. It certainly isn't something I've noticed and I am still just as amazed with my Kuro as I was the day I took it out of the box and mounted it on the wall.
I didn't mount mine. My nerves couldn't take it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #334
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I didn't mount mine. My nerves couldn't take it.
I've never did like the idea of wall mounting my HDTV! I prefer it to be on a stand, where its accessible, in case if I wanted to move, repositioned, or connect other components to it later. To wall mount a TV, you have to cut, and drill holes in your walls, to run the cables behind them, and so forth. It's just too much cosmetic work involve. It's so much easier to put the HDTV on a stand, and be done with it. Wall mounting, only creates an unnecessary project, and an extra expense, if you're going to hire a professional to make sure it's done properly, if you don't know how to do it yourself. You most certainly don't want a $800.00 TV fall to the floor and break, because it wasn't installed and secured correctly.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-28-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #335
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I've never did like the idea of wall mounting my HDTV! I prefer it to be on a stand, where its accessible, in case if I wanted to move, repositioned, or connect other components to it later. To wall mount a TV, you have to cut, and drill holes in your walls, to run the cables behind them, and so forth. It's just too much cosmetic work involve. It's so much easier to put the HDTV on a stand, and be done with it. Wall mounting, only creates an unnecessary project, and an extra expense, if you're going to hire a professional to make sure it's done properly, if you don't know how to do it yourself. You most certainly don't want a $800.00 TV fall to the floor and break, because it wasn't installed and secured correctly.
just get a wall mount that protrudes enough to reach your hand behind... and it REALLY doesn't take a genius to mount a tv properly .... a $10 stud finger, a drill, a level and a ratchet (usually things 99% of people have lying around for projects anyways)... drill into the center of a stud, use 3-4 inch lag bolts to lock the back plate on and voila, you're done.. I mean, it's about as hard as hanging a picture really. and as for being unsafe.... I've seen people tip their tv over on the stand cuz a cat, a dog, or a friend stumbled into it, about as much risk there as ACTUALLY improperly mounting a tv (and it takes a REAL lazy person to mount those plates improperly) also these mounts usually hold 2-3 x the weight of an actual TV's weight

Last edited by wormraper; 01-29-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #336
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
just get a wall mount that protrudes enough to reach your hand behind... and it REALLY doesn't take a genius to mount a tv properly .... a $10 stud finger, a drill, a level and a ratchet (usually things 99% of people have lying around for projects anyways)... drill into the center of a stud, use 3-4 inch lag bolts to lock the back plate on and voila, you're done.. I mean, it's about as hard as hanging a picture really. and as for being unsafe.... I've seen people tip their tv over on the stand cuz a cat, a dog, or a friend stumbled into it, about as much risk there as ACTUALLY improperly mounting a tv (and it takes a REAL lazy person to mount those plates improperly) also these mounts usually hold 2-3 x the weight of an actual TV's weight
Nevermind! I don't have any pets, and what person stumbles into a TV, unless they're highly intoxicated, or somebody fighting inside the house, knocks it over, and break it? I don't give, nor allow parties in my home anyway, so I don't have to worry about that either. To me, HDTVs looks more elegant when they're placed on a beautiful entertainment center, or a stand along with rest of my A/V equipment. Some people like their TV on the wall, and some people don't!

Last edited by slimdude; 01-29-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #337
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Nevermind! I don't have any pets, and what person stumbles into a TV, unless they're highly intoxicated. I don't give, nor allow parties in my home anyway, so I don't have to worry about that either. To me, HDTVs looks more elegant when they're placed on a beautiful entertainment, or a stand along with rest of my A/V equipment. Some people like their TV on the wall, and some people don't!
yeah, all about different tastes, my only point was that it's really easy to mount one safely...

me personally I LOVE it on the wall, that way I can get rid of all that nasty entertainment centers that clutter up the roof
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #338
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
yeah, all about different tastes, my only point was that it's really easy to mount one safely...

me personally I LOVE it on the wall, that way I can get rid of all that nasty entertainment centers that clutter up the roof
You've been very lucky so far because, there are some true horror stories posted on the internet, concerning HDTVs falling off the wall, and one of these incidents have been fatal. Here is one story for an example, but there are more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hits-head.html

Here is a thread, posted by another forum member on this site, stating his HDTV fell off the wall.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=186639

Last edited by slimdude; 01-29-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #339
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:

Wall mounting is something I take seriously. I use a Chief mount, the double elbow tilt/swivel type, for my Sony 52". When I moved it, for the Kuro, I actually got a different mount - and what a piece of junk that was.

So put my Kuro on it. Left it there for a month. Wised up, and took it off.

The Chief mount cost me $600 back in 2008. I don't want to pay that kind of money again, but nothing less than that is sufficient. These Monoprice and no-name stamped metal mounts are nothing to risk a $5K investment on.

I repeat, my nerves can't take it.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #340
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Wall mounting is something I take seriously. I use a Chief mount, the double elbow tilt/swivel type, for my Sony 52". When I moved it, for the Kuro, I actually got a different mount - and what a piece of junk that was.

So put my Kuro on it. Left it there for a month. Wised up, and took it off.

The Chief mount cost me $600 back in 2008. I don't want to pay that kind of money again, but nothing less than that is sufficient. These Monoprice and no-name stamped metal mounts are nothing to risk a $5K investment on.

I repeat, my nerves can't take it.
ROTFL!!!, sorry but you know what a good mount is??? A sturdy piece of metal with a couple of screws... 99.99999999% of those mounts will never fail. it's pure physics... you know the difference between the chief mount and one of the heavy duty monoprice mounts??? about $550 .... as someone who knows about construction... it really is nothing but in your mind... sure some cases are gonna happen where a screw is stripped or someone is an idiot and misses a stud, but that's gonna happen with ANY installation once in a great while. you can assauge your nerves all you want, it's your money, but a mount is NOT that complex and $600 worth of materials won't overcome physics somehow with a herculean grip
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs