COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Originals: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #1

May 2010
Iowa
Send a message via Skype™ to NWilz
Question mini/micro hdmi question

I have to wall mount my tv and send my cables through a tube that goes through the wall. the tubes are to small to send regular cables through, so I have to use micro or mini with an adapter. I am looking at cables on monoprice, do the adapters need to say high speed to pass 3d?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by NWilz; 11-21-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Why do you have to run your cables through a tube inside the wall? What is the diameter of this tube?
Steve

WTB: PS3 case that holds 2 discs. If you have one you can part with please PM me.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #3

May 2010
Iowa

Well I don't want them hanging out, the diameter is difficult to say cause the wall squeezes it the part that sticks out is wider, a regular hdmi cable doesnt fit. But I'm not asking about that
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWilz View Post
Well I don't want them hanging out, the diameter is difficult to say cause the wall squeezes it the part that sticks out is wider, a regular hdmi cable doesnt fit. But I'm not asking about that
The only reason I was asking is because I didn't use any kind of tube inside my wall to run cables. That part doesn't make sense to me. I was going to try to help with a (possible) different approach without using the tube. I'm sorry but I can't answer your original question. I would try sending Monoprice an email or giving them a call and see what they have to say about it. Unfortunately it will be Friday at the soonest (and maybe Monday) before you're able to get ahold of anyone now.
Steve

WTB: PS3 case that holds 2 discs. If you have one you can part with please PM me.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

May 2010
Iowa

What do you do to hide the cables?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
What do you do to hide the cables?
They're inside the wall. They go into the wall down low behind my ET stand (out of sight) using one of these. They come out of the wall behind the TV where i made a hole with a holesaw. The cables are just loose inside the wall between the two studs.

*DISCLAIMER* I have no idea if my method is compliant with building codes in your area. I can only assume it is if you use in-wall rated cables.
Steve

Last edited by Steve; 11-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #7

May 2010
Iowa

oh see mine is over the fire place and the cables come out on the sides, we didnt build/design the house we bought it from someone else. I would of done it differently, but were stuck with this
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Quote:
... do the adapters need to say high speed to pass 3d?
Not necesarilly. The only difference between a 3D rated cable or adapter is that it's been tested and qualified to meet the specs so a non-3D rated cable might work as well as a rated cable. With adapters I wouldn't expect any problems since there's no cable length and thickness involved.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Why do you have to run your cables through a tube inside the wall? What is the diameter of this tube?
Running cables through a PVC pipe/tube is a great idea if one wants to try to future-proof the wiring. If, down the road, you need to add a different cable, you simply either run a snake through the tube and fish the new cable through, or you can use a vacuum to suck a string from one end, attach the cable/wire to the other and then simply pull it through.

Unfortunately in the OP's case, it sounds like the installer didn't use a large enough diameter pipe to accept an HDMI plug.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #10

May 2010
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
Not necesarilly. The only difference between a 3D rated cable or adapter is that it's been tested and qualified to meet the specs so a non-3D rated cable might work as well as a rated cable. With adapters I wouldn't expect any problems since there's no cable length and thickness involved.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Two_Cents View Post
Unfortunately in the OP's case, it sounds like the installer didn't use a large enough diameter pipe to accept an HDMI plug.
yeah, I dont know what the previous owner used it for
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Two_Cents View Post
Running cables through a PVC pipe/tube is a great idea if one wants to try to future-proof the wiring. If, down the road, you need to add a different cable, you simply either run a snake through the tube and fish the new cable through, or you can use a vacuum to suck a string from one end, attach the cable/wire to the other and then simply pull it through.

Yeah it makes more sense now knowing it's over a fireplace and that he needs to run cables horizontally. I wish I was able to help him more. That tubing was probably put in place with the idea that any cable needed would either be small or that it could be terminated in the field, which is not the case with HDMI.
Steve

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players