Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Black Butler: Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Majestic Prince: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #5061

Dec 2009
Montreal, Canada

How bad/cheesy are the old classic bond movies for someone that has NEVER seen them? Iíve only seen the Bond movies with Dalton, Brosnan and Craig and I enjoyed them all. But are the older Bond movies only truly good with nostalgia glasses?

Iím really interested to get the Bond 50 set as I only own the Craig ones on Blu-ray so with the Black Friday set on sale Saturday I think itís the perfect time to finally see them once and for all. But like I said, how do they hold up in 2012 if youíve never seen them?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #5062

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno2009 View Post
How bad/cheesy are the old classic bond movies for someone that has NEVER seen them? Iíve only seen the Bond movies with Dalton, Brosnan and Craig and I enjoyed them all. But are the older Bond movies only truly good with nostalgia glasses?
While the Moore films undoubtedly have some truly cringe-worthy moments of "comedy" in them, on the whole I still enjoy watching virtually all the Bond films. Even the poor ones generally have things to like in them. The only three I outright refuse to watch are Diamonds Are Forever (Connery), The Man with the Golden Gun (Moore) and Die Another Day (Brosnan). The others I enjoy very much, despite any faults they may have.
"That's B-U-R-N-E-double-T!"
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #5063

Dec 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuDaFuK View Post
While the Moore films undoubtedly have some truly cringe-worthy moments of "comedy" in them, on the whole I still enjoy watching virtually all the Bond films. Even the poor ones generally have things to like in them. The only three I outright refuse to watch are Diamonds Are Forever (Connery), The Man with the Golden Gun (Moore) and Die Another Day (Brosnan). The others I enjoy very much, despite any faults they may have.
Yeah but you like them BECAUSE you saw them 30 years ago? Thatís the main point Iím trying to make here. I want the opinion of someone that saw them for the first time recently.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #5064

Dec 2011

Quote:
Yeah but you like them BECAUSE you saw them 30 years ago? That’s the main point I’m trying to make here. I want the opinion of someone that saw them for the first time recently.
Considering I was born when The Living Daylights was in cinemas, I can safely say that I am not speaking from the perspective of some eccentric old fart

Although I admit I had a higher opinion of Moore as Bond when I was a kid.

Last edited by HuDaFuK; 11-21-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #5065

Dec 2011

Has anyone know for sure if all titles in US Boxset are region A locked or region free?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #5066
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:

Iím really interested to get the Bond 50 set as I only own the Craig ones on Blu-ray so with the Black Friday set on sale Saturday I think itís the perfect time to finally see them once and for all. But like I said, how do they hold up in 2012 if youíve never seen them?
It's all a matter of opinion, but I personally like the older movies better than the recent ones. Of course, I haven't seen SKYFALL yet, but I like the Connery movies and select Moore movies better than the 4 Brosnan's and the 2 Craig's I've seen.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #5067
Special Member

Dec 2008
Washington, D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j420 View Post
How much of the "cartoon-like nonsense" was Roger Moore or the writing? He really could only do what was written for him...you saw in a serious Bond film (FYEO) that Moore could play a more serious, ruthless Bond, but the other films he was in had more of a campy feel to them...

I think Moore did great with what was written for him and he's my personal favorite Bond although I know Connery is the best Bond...
Roger Moore was more than ruthless in "For Your Eyes Only". I think the scene where Roger Moore was most ruthless was on the rooftop with Sandor in "The Spy Who Loved Me".

Bond: "Where's Fekkesh"
Sandor: "Py...Py...Pyramids"

(Flips tie sending Sandor to his death)

Bond: "What a helpful chap"

When Moore started playing 007 Director Guy Hamilton thought he was playing it too much like Sean Connery...and he needed to change it to distance himself from the Connery version.

My favorite 007 actors (Best to worst)

1. Roger Moore
2. Sean Connery
3. Daniel Craig
4. Timothy Dalton
5. George Lazenby
6. Pierce Brosnan
My website: http://darrenharrison.info/ High resolution images from the 50+ years of James Bond in the cinema and 60+ years in the literary form.

Wishlist: Ffolkes (1980), Lassiter (1984), Rough Cut (1980), Zeppelin (1971), Sea Wolves (1980), Condorman (1981), When Eight Bells Toll (1971), Sphinx (1980), The Dam Busters (1955), 633 Squadron (1964)

Last edited by DrrnHarr; 11-21-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #5068
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Bond View Post
He wanted to do his own thing with the role and was content with being a yes man to the producers since he was in it to get his million of pounds as Bond was his biggest gig. He was another paycheck actor.

[...]Coincidentally after FYEO, it was back to Moore nonsense in Octopussy, I'm sure this was done at his request. Like I said, I only liked ONE movie of his. His other six were missing a laugh track.
Do you think you might be overstating things just a bit?

I prefer a more serious, literary-style Bond myself, but there are many good things to be found in the Moore films, not least of which is Moore himself, who was able to make the role his own for several years.

As for being "another paycheck actor", he was almost certainly the most genial, courteous Bond imagineable (according to virtually everyone who worked with him), going above and beyond to make sure his co-workers were comfortable and enjoying themselves on the job.

And, speaking frankly, I don't think the other Bonds were drawn to the part for its...artistic integrity?

Finally, Octopussy is a fine film. It gets a drubbing from some purists, who seem to overlook a fairly sophisticated espionage plot and some wonderful Bondian moments simply because Moore (not for laughs at all) dresses up as a clown. I'll give you the gorilla suit and the Tarzan yell.

The others, yes, can be hit and miss (A View to a Kill doesn't exactly set my world on fire, and Live and Let Die manages to strip Fleming's story of almost any suspense), but are still worth watching in my opinion. I didn't watch start watching Bond until Dalton, lest you think it's the voice of nostalgia speaking.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #5069

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
Finally, Octopussy is a fine film. It gets a drubbing from some purists, who seem to overlook a fairly sophisticated espionage plot and some wonderful Bondian moments simply because Moore (not for laughs at all) dresses up as a clown. I'll give you the gorilla suit and the Tarzan yell.
You've hit on something there. I've always wondered why the clown suit bit is torn apart so much, because that scene's actually played fairly straight. OK, so we have to ask just who in the hell put all that makeup on him, but it's not like he jumps on a unicycle and rides up an elephant's trunk, and there's something pretty sinister in the moment where he pulls aside the red nose and tells the military guy he's "deadly serious".

I especially don't get why people focus on that scene when, as you say, there are far more stupid moments in the film.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #5070
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
No.

Quote:
And, speaking frankly, I don't think the other Bonds were drawn to the part for its...artistic integrity?
The difference is Connery, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig cared about the source material and had passion for the character they portrayed. Well, Connery did until YOLT.

And the two guys, Lazenby and Moore, who didn't give a sh** about book Bond are regarded as the worst by a majority of 007 fans. Go figure.
It's showtime, folks!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #5071
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotr View Post
Has anyone know for sure if all titles in US Boxset are region A locked or region free?
Some are region free and some are locked. If you go through the database you'd have a clearer picture of what's locked and what's not.

From the UK thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I ordered the new US standalones of Goldfinger, LALD and TMWTGG and they're locked, they're the exact same discs as before with revised art.

It's a safe bet then that Dr No, FRWL, Goldfinger, Thunderball, LALD, TMWTGG, Moonraker, FYEO, Licence To Kill, TWINE and Die Another Day are locked if you're buying the US standalones, because they're reprints of the original discs.

YOLT, OHMSS, Diamonds are Forever, TSWLM, Octopussy, View To a Kill, Living Daylights, Goldeneye and TND are region free no matter where you buy them from, because they're the newly created discs intended for worldwide use.
Quote:
And the two guys, Lazenby and Moore, who didn't give a sh** about book Bond are regarded as the worst by a majority of 007 fans. Go figure.
Yet Lazenby made one of the most faithful adaptations with OHMSS.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #5072
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post

I prefer a more serious, literary-style Bond myself, but there are many good things to be found in the Moore films, not least of which is Moore himself, who was able to make the role his own for several years.

As for being "another paycheck actor", he was almost certainly the most genial, courteous Bond imagineable (according to virtually everyone who worked with him), going above and beyond to make sure his co-workers were comfortable and enjoying themselves on the job.

The others, yes, can be hit and miss (A View to a Kill doesn't exactly set my world on fire, and Live and Let Die manages to strip Fleming's story of almost any suspense), but are still worth watching in my opinion. I didn't watch start watching Bond until Dalton, lest you think it's the voice of nostalgia speaking.
Well, sure, he made it his own. It just wasn't Bond. Just like Nolan's Batman really has little to do with Batman. Doesn't mean people don't/can't like it, or prefer it, but both characters started in books first and had well established their characters before films came along.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #5073
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

Not sure if anyone cares, but the Target exclusive Bond blu rays are going for 8 bucks right now.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #5074
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

Lazenby is underated. Might have only been in one Bond movie, but he was perfect for it, and it's a top 5 Bond film. I'd say he's not as good as Connery or Craig, but on par with Brosnon and better then Dalton and Moore.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #5075
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I'm finding it disturbing that only Best Buy, Amazon and Walmart are selling the reissued James Bond Blu-rays and only Walmart and Best Buy are selling their exclusives online. It's odd that no other online retailer is selling the reissued Bond Blu-rays.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #5076

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Some are region free and some are locked. If you go through the database you'd have a clearer picture of what's locked and what's not.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #5077
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
The difference is Connery, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig cared about the source material and had passion for the character they portrayed. Well, Connery did until YOLT.

We mustn't forget that the Bond films have always been separate from the books. I've read them all many, many times, but the films are different -- and that doesn't make them worthless. In other words, there are other criteria by which to judge the film, besides, "How closely does it adhere to Fleming's words on the page?" For the actor, his primary source material is the script.

Moonraker may take...ah..."liberties" with Fleming's novel, but it's also a skillfully made, if fantastical, little adventure movie -- highly watchable, with terrific sets and an incredible score. Moore isn't given much to do, but is that his fault? If he had gone to Cubby and said, "I'd like to get closer to Fleming's novel," do you think we'd have a gritty, earth-bound version? I think not.

If that were the case, could we blame Brosnan for the dire second half of Die Another Day?

Connery, whom Fleming initially regarded as "that great snorting lorry driver", hardly comes across as the refined, English secret agent right out of the gate. He's tougher, and he's thrown fewer gags, but does that make him more right for the part than Moore, who's obviously more refined and more English?

And as much as I approve of Daniel Craig, Skyfall isn't exactly "by the book" in its depiction of Bond. I can provide examples if you wish.

Look, Moore has always been my go-to "least favourite Bond". Always. But there are still things about him and his movies that are enjoyable and, yes, true to the spirit of Fleming's creation. Based on your avatar and your name, I take it that you're rather zealous about the issue, and I'm not about to get into an all-out pissing contest, but I am also a "serious Bond fan", and I can say with confidence that it is an error in judgment to dismiss all but one of Moore's films by saying something like, "All that's missing is a laugh track."

And the only way you can say something like "the majority of Bond fans regard Moore as the worst" is by being very selective in your sampling; there are plenty of Bond fans who are very fond of Roger Moore.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #5078
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

There are some interesting debates going on about favorite Bonds. I've always preferred the campier Bond films over the serious ones but then again I like them all for one reason or another. I will admit that my least favorite Bond movies are the Brosnan ones. I was born in the 70's so I grew up with the Moore Bond flicks. Growing up I was just drawn to them for their lavishness and I'm not sure if I ever really watched one from beginning to end until A View To A Kill, which is entertaining but defintely a lesser Bond flick. I am starting to have a real appreciation for Connery's Bond now as I get older. It's comical but more refined plus I love the style of the 60's movies. Craig is pretty awesome as Bond and I can't wait to see Skyfall but it's so modern now. It's all about chaotic camera work and Bourne Identity style action. I like those things but I sometimes wish we could get a Moonraker or an Octopussy again where Bond isn't so serious and the filmmakers are allowed to have fun with the character. I guess I'll always be a bigger 60's, 70's and early 80's Bond fan but I do love them all. I never read the books either so I am just judging my Bond's by the cinema that was created.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #5079

Nov 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
Not sure if anyone cares, but the Target exclusive Bond blu rays are going for 8 bucks right now.
Beat me to it! My Target also finally got more copies of "A View to a Kill," so I was at last able to complete the Target Exclusive portion of my collection. The $8 price was a nice bonus!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #5080
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotr View Post
Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome. Reading my quote in your post I sound quite abrupt, that wasn't my intention but looking through the Bonds with the search engine is the best way to go if you want to find about region coding. Our UK set is much simpler they're all region ABC apart from Quantum of Solace which is B locked, but they don't all have the original soundtracks.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America