COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.09
The Help (Blu-ray)
$11.19
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Feb 2012
Default life of pi 3d

Am hearing lots of good things about Ang Lee's new fantasy movie life of pi. Have read a few reviews praising the movie for its artful use of 3d! Mabye the one to silence these critics who think 3d ruins movies?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Just got back from seeing it in 3D.
Phenomenal.
I really hope word of mouth helps out this film. It just isn't fair that movies like Twilight 5 or Resident Evil 7 makes several times their budget... While films like Cloud Atlas or Life of Pi, probably made with half of those films' budgets, have amazing visuals and great storytelling, but fail at the box office.

But yeah, the film was just excellent.
Its just beautiful to look at, and it has a really great message. It also has the best live-action 3D I've seen in a while, but the 3D really enhances everything and doesn't feel tacked on. I can't wait to see this film again.

2012 has been an incredible year for movies.

By the way as far as trailers go...
I distinctly remember being pretty wowed by Blue Sky's "Epic" that looks really interesting and the 3D looked really really good. And it looks like it'll be a lot more tolerable than "Rio" and all those "Ice Age" sequels.

Unfortunately, as excited as I am for Jurassic Park returning to theaters...
The trailer underwhelmed me.
Maybe it wasn't in 3D(never lifted my glasses to check)... But this would've been a good opportunity to showcase the 3D. Also everything looks to smooth(the faces look like they've had a lot of detail scrubbed out in such shots. I thought the 3D was based on a new master, but it doesn't look any different from the current Blu-ray. I'll still check it out in 2D.

Don't really remember what else. The Hobbit trailer(seen it with every single movie I've seen in the last two months so I'm tired of it now). And Smurfs II... Well the 3D was good but... Yeah no thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Feb 2012

Thanks for that. Am now really looking forward to seeing it for myself. Will be interesting to see how it does at the box office if its 3d only after seeing Dredd 3d bomb with its lack of 2d showings.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Yeah my only complaint would be that it's a bit slow at the beginning, but it really pays off once the main story starts. There are some seriously cool 3D sequences in this film, but unlike some 3D films, this one has a really good story.
Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea. The animals don't talk and you won't see any missiles fired. The story is very much about faith, though it's not about any specific religion. I really liked the story though, and I'm pretty much an atheist.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoagogo69 View Post
Thanks for that. Am now really looking forward to seeing it for myself. Will be interesting to see how it does at the box office if its 3d only after seeing Dredd 3d bomb with its lack of 2d showings.
Weird. It was actually hard for me to find Life of Pi in 3D, which is disappointing because the 3D is such a big part. My local theater reserved all their 3D screens for the new Dreamworks movie.
It's too bad that the better 3D movies this year, Dredd and Life of Pi, did pretty bad. They had better 3D than Spider-Man and The Avengers IMHO
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

The Life Of Pi looks to be a beautifully made movie and seeing the movie trailers really makes me want to see it BUT I will wait until it hits Blu. Then I can watch it in the comfort of my own home.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
The Life Of Pi looks to be a beautifully made movie and seeing the movie trailers really makes me want to see it BUT I will wait until it hits Blu. Then I can watch it in the comfort of my own home.
It's been a couple years since I've gone to a theater because yeah, with a 110" screen an 1080p projector I'd rather wait and enjoy in comfort & convenience at home. And I've had zero interest in 3D, to me something you have to use special glasses to see it just isn't real. But Pi sounds like a film I'll really enjoy and the reviews I've read make it sound like 3D really adds to the story, rather than just making it look like the monsters/bullets/explosions are coming right at you. So, I'm going to check it out this week in 3D at the theater and see if I've been missing anything.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoagogo69 View Post
Am hearing lots of good things about Ang Lee's new fantasy movie life of pi. Have read a few reviews praising the movie for its artful use of 3d! Mabye the one to silence these critics who think 3d ruins movies?
nah, it will never silence critics. Critics always hate the movies most people like and love the movies most people hate, hate the tech which impresses most people and love the tech which is no longer popular with most people.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
nah, it will never silence critics. Critics always hate the movies most people like and love the movies most people hate, hate the tech which impresses most people and love the tech which is no longer popular with most people.
also these 3D-haters have not truely experience the awesomeness of 3D on a good 3D setup.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion