COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
On the Beach (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Breakheart Pass (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Auburn, WA
Default Why do so many absolutely hate Eco cases?

What's the big deal? It looks the same from the outside.. it holds your discs okay.. it sits on your shelf just like any other..

Why do people hate them? Just curious..
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

All you ever wanted to know on ECO case and were afraid to ask

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mov...iscussion.html
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 06-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I think a lot of people feel they don't adequately protect the disks, i fell the put pressure on the disks. Just my thoughts.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685

Last edited by Canada; 06-08-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2008
Shamokin Dam, Pa
Send a message via Yahoo to neos_peace

personallly I can't say I hate them, But I do kinda feel that I;m getting jipt a bit. (not really) but it makes me feel a little bit that the studio is jipping on quality even though it doesn't in anway affect the Disc itself. I don't know I don't feel a difference at all really.
Once you go PS3 Slim, you never go back.
"Why so SERIOUS!?!?!?!?"
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
TV: Hitachi 50" FULL HD plazma
Subs: AA HD-Sub15 X2
Center: Sony SS-CN5000P
Fronts & Rear's: Sony SSF5000
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

I don't hate them, just that they are so darn flimsy,nothing wrong with still using them but just make them better.
MOE
Old 06-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
What's the big deal? It looks the same from the outside.. it holds your discs okay.. it sits on your shelf just like any other..

Because transference is a natural human tendency.

Quote:
Transference: The redirection of attitudes and emotions towards a substitute.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

I don't dislike them. But I think people that don't like them think that it puts the disk at risk. In the end where the holes all that is protecting the disk is a thin piece of paper and plastic.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Power Member

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

how exactly is the disc at risk?

When you close the case the plastic and paper are pulled so close around the case that no dust can get in. And i'm willing to bet that anything you drop on your case that can go through the paper and actually harm the disc would have done just as much damage in a normal case as well.

And for those people saying "they save money making those cases, they should pass the savings on to us"

okay, lets say it costs 5% less to make each case, if they pay for 50 000 regular cases at a rate of, lets say... 30 cents a case, thats $15 000 for 50 000 cases, if they bought 50 000 eco cases, that would be $14 250.

Thats 28 cents a case as opposed to 30 cents a case! What are they supposed to do, make movies $19.97 instead of $19.99?!

Companies save money by buying thousands of cases at once, the only way for them to possibly pass the savings on to us would be if consumers bought thousands of movies at once...
Check out my Star Wars Home Video Collection Website:
swhomevid.site40.net

Yes, I STILL BUY DVDs! Any DVD with extras not ported to the blu-ray is STILL WORTH BUYING!

Most recent blu-rays: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Triple Feature (April 26), Star Trek: The Original Series, Season 1 (April 20)
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post

When you close the case the plastic and paper are pulled so close around the case that no dust can get in. And i'm willing to bet that anything you drop on your case that can go through the paper and actually harm the disc would have done just as much damage in a normal case as well.

And for those people saying "they save money making those cases, they should pass the savings on to us"

okay, lets say it costs 5% less to make each case, if they pay for 50 000 regular cases at a rate of, lets say... 30 cents a case, thats $15 000 for 50 000 cases, if they bought 50 000 eco cases, that would be $14 250.

Thats 28 cents a case as opposed to 30 cents a case! What are they supposed to do, make movies $19.97 instead of $19.99?!

Companies save money by buying thousands of cases at once, the only way for them to possibly pass the savings on to us would be if consumers bought thousands of movies at once...
#1. The only "risk to the disc" factor that comes to my mind is potential damage during shipping. Any other damage risk is completely avoidable. In another thread people were saying that they felt like they would puncture through with their fingers everytime they open/close an eco case. So, I experimented with that notion and the only ways to open/close a case in that fashion don't make any sense. Opening and closing a case in the most efficient and logical manner doesn't involve finger contact anywhere but on the spine and along the very edges of the case (nowhere near the cutout portions of the case).

#2. The "saving money" arguement never made sense to me either. I figured that the most they could save in materials would be $0.05 per case. And that is definitely not anything worthy of changing prices at all... or causing a fuss over.

On all fronts, the anti-eco-case movement is highly impractical and illogical in their mission.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 06-12-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
#2. The "saving money" arguement never made sense to me either. I figured that the most they could save in materials would be $0.05 per case. And that is definitely not anything worthy of changing prices at all... or causing a fuss over.
You're forgetting the shipping costs, they're 30% lighter.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
I did not say I agree with them. That is why I don't care. My disks are on a shelf one right beside the other, I can't see anything happening to them.

Quote:
#1. The only "risk to the disc" factor that comes to my mind is potential damage during shipping. Any other damage risk is completely avoidable. In another thread people were saying that they felt like they would puncture through with their fingers every time they open/close an eco case. So, I experimented with that notion and the only ways to open/close a case in that fashion don't make any sense. Opening and closing a case in the most efficient and logical manner doesn't involve finger contact anywhere but on the spine and along the very edges of the case (nowhere near the cut-out portions of the case).
my guess is that it is more shipping (before you buy) and popping out the disk (fingers behind the disk for couter balance to the thumb pushing the "button" in the centre.)
Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Quote:
What's the big deal? It looks the same from the outside.. it holds your discs okay.. it sits on your shelf just like any other..Why do people hate them? Just curious..
Long-term use of Eco cases makes you listen to nothing but Moby, adopt every pet at your local animal shelter, drive a Smart Car and buy 'organic' food. Be careful!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
Banned

Jan 2010
Hollywood, Yugoslavia
Default Problem with Eco Case

I've heard that if someone throws a spear at you and you try to block it with an ECO case dvd your disc will get damaged.

No lie.

This is the main reason I think ECO cases should be outlawed. Just this one scenerio.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (07-05-2014)
Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

I just dislike a non-standard case that provides less protection. Any way you slice it, there is less plastic protecting the disc, and it seems especially idiotic to reduce plastic in exactly the place it needs to be.

I know people make fun of this, but whatever...if your cases never leave the shelf that's one thing, but if you want to put your Blu-ray case in a backpack, etc. to travel you have to worry about puncture, etc. when a standard case offers much more protection.

I am all for reducing packaging on disposable products, but a $20 Blu-ray is not a disposable product. So I defeat the entire purpose and just buy Blu cases in bulk to protect my discs as I see fit, and toss these ones. No now it's REALLY wasting plastic, but if they are going to insist on using shoddy cases, I am going to choose not to use them.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #15
Power Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:

It's not the potential damage to the disc that bothers me about them, it's the damage to the cover art. The large holes and flimsier nature of the eco cases can often cause them to be squished, particulary when being shipped in the mail. I've ordered tons of stuff from e-tailers and had them arrive with indentations, little rips and lots of annoyances, all stuff that happens much less with a regular case. I know a LOT of people on this site and these forums are pretty OCD about cover art, more so than me, so it's a huge deal to collectors. I usually will order normal cases online and replace them, thereby contradicting the term "eco" case because with the cost of replacements they're not economical, and with the fuel used to ship replacements and the old ones going to the dump, they're not ecologically friendly either.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #16

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
It's not the potential damage to the disc that bothers me about them, it's the damage to the cover art. The large holes and flimsier nature of the eco cases can often cause them to be squished, particulary when being shipped in the mail. I've ordered tons of stuff from e-tailers and had them arrive with indentations, little rips and lots of annoyances, all stuff that happens much less with a regular case. I know a LOT of people on this site and these forums are pretty OCD about cover art, more so than me, so it's a huge deal to collectors. I usually will order normal cases online and replace them, thereby contradicting the term "eco" case because with the cost of replacements they're not economical, and with the fuel used to ship replacements and the old ones going to the dump, they're not ecologically friendly either.
Eco cases annoy the heck out of me for just this reason. In my case I don't even keep my Blu-ray discs in their cases. They go straight into a Sony Blu-ray changer and the cases get put into storage. That being said, I scan all my cover art for use with DVD Profiler and the Collection Management program for My Movies for Windows Media Center. As such, it's important to me that the cover art is pristine for scanning purposes. Doesn't take much with these eco cases for the cover art to get damaged in some way during shipping.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 11-25-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2007
Chicago, IL
Send a message via AIM to DealsR4theDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
I would think not many people get replacement cases. These probably are somewhat eco-friendly.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #18

Apr 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Several titles I've received from Amazon have a puncture on either the front or back of the cover. They all came packaged in Eco cases and the punctures are all where the "holes" in the Eco cases are. It's not a matter of replacing the cases, now. It's a matter of replacing the "artwork". And while I won't get upset over a hole poked in a piece of paper, I'm not necessarily okay with it, either. Especially when the puncture is on the back (i.e. near the underside of the disc itself). Eco cases do in fact offer less protection, if at least in transit. And that's enough for me to dislike them.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #19

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Seems to me if they want to save our ecosystem stop the digital copies and all the extra BS and just get use the single blu-ray disc not the DVD, Digial copy, 3D Copy and the 2D copy.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #20

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXR 1138 View Post
Several titles I've received from Amazon have a puncture on either the front or back of the cover. They all came packaged in Eco cases and the punctures are all where the "holes" in the Eco cases are. It's not a matter of replacing the cases, now. It's a matter of replacing the "artwork". And while I won't get upset over a hole poked in a piece of paper, I'm not necessarily okay with it, either. Especially when the puncture is on the back (i.e. near the underside of the disc itself). Eco cases do in fact offer less protection, if at least in transit. And that's enough for me to dislike them.
I agree with this person. I have to find the perfect copy where the paper isn't pressed in. When i get these in the mail and they are pressed in, it sickin's me to the point of why they make cases like this is beyond me. We pay money to own a movie in our collection, the case is suppose to protect the disc and inserts together. Not have a leak to where damage is easily opened to the vulnerability of these holes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software