COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Apollo 18 (Blu-ray)
$7.79

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Handhelds, Mobiles, Tablets, Apps etc

Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA
Default The End Of The Smartphone Era Is Coming

Quote:
You've heard that Google is working on computerized glasses. They're called Google Glass, and developers can already buy them.
It turns out Microsoft is working on something similar. It filed some patents on the project and Unwired View dug them up.
There's a big difference between what Microsoft is working on and Google Glass, though.
The most recent word out of Google is that Google Glass isn't going to use "augmented reality" where data and illustrations overlay the actual world around you.
Google Glass is actually just a tiny screen you have to look up and to the left to see.
Microsoft's glasses seem to utilize augmented reality. In a patent illustration we've embedded below, you can see that the glasses put data on top of a live action concert and a ballgame.
Both gadget concepts are very interesting.
Lots of people disagree with me, including other BI writers, but I think something like Google Glass or whatever Microsoft is working on could end up replacing the smartphone as the dominant way people access the Internet and connect to each other.
First off: something has to. Disruption is inevitable.
Secondly: The trend is obvious.
Computers have been getting smaller and closer to our faces since their very beginning.
First they were in big rooms, then they sat on desktops, then they sat on our laps, and now they're in our palms. Next they'll be on our faces.
(Eventually they'll be in our brains.)
By the way, you can bet that if Microsoft and Google are working on computerized glasses, so is Apple and Jony Ive.
And that's pretty exciting.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-e...#ixzz2D5jMOMlG

Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-

yeah right
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

I need to sell my google stock if they think people will buy into this... Its as bad as the google tvs that flopped.
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I hope these do come out if not from Google someone else, the Japanese are also working on a model like this. These have accidents written all over them and we need to reduce the world's population, it's the perfect way of doing it
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
I need to sell my google stock if they think people will buy into this... Its as bad as the google tvs that flopped.
still mad the tv industry refuses to let a product like that work it's not like it's google's fault it was a flop
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Aug 2009

Apparently these developers are forgetting that a sizeable portion of the population have to wear prescription glasses so who would want to wear a pair of glasses on top of another pair? Same reason why 3D will never be more than a fading fad.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
still mad the tv industry refuses to let a product like that work it's not like it's google's fault it was a flop
I played with the sony tv/ bd player and it was sloppy as hell. It needs to be flawless for something like this to catch on. So from that perspective it was googles fault.

Same is true of 3dTVs if you want people to adopt something new and especially something they don't need, it needs to be perfect.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-

Quote:
I played with the sony tv/ bd player and it was sloppy as hell. It needs to be flawless for something like this to catch on. So from that perspective it was googles fault.

Same is true of 3dTVs if you want people to adopt something new and especially something they don't need, it needs to be perfect.
you mean sony's fault. not google's fault sony screwed it up
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
you mean sony's fault. not google's fault sony screwed it up
I doubt google just handed it to them and said good luck, they're both culpable if they didn't have good communication during the construction phase.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Orlando,FLA Relocated To: Lynchburg,VA

I had Laser eye surgery to avoid glasses.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-

Quote:
I doubt google just handed it to them and said good luck, they're both culpable if they didn't have good communication during the construction phase.
the nexus line of phones suffer from no problems. yet lots of skinned phones do. are you sure it's google's fault?

they don't build the devices together. google provides the software, then sony takes it and screws it up every google tv i've played with has performed fine though so i'm not even sure what you were seeing
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
the nexus line of phones suffer from no problems. yet lots of skinned phones do. are you sure it's google's fault?

they don't build the devices together. google provides the software, then sony takes it and screws it up every google tv i've played with has performed fine though so i'm not even sure what you were seeing
If google just hands off and says not our problem then they should accept it when things go wrong/fail, because ultimately its their name on the line [along with sony, exc.]

Did you play with the sony one! The movement between features was slow, browser was average with terrible interface, the google tv menu was a clunky mess [think direct tv black hd-dvr that had the slowest menu movement on the planet].
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

I find it hilarious that blogs and various journalists claim the death of the smartphone due to smartwatches. It's probably the same guys who were claiming phablets would replace tablets.by the way, I thing glasses are a non starter. Youngsters are too shallow these days, they won't wear a contraption on their head no matter what it does.

Last edited by Steedeel; 06-03-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
-
-

I got all excited when I read the thread title, but was later let down when I read further.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #15

Jun 2013

A lot of problems for Google to solve with this. Battery life. Obtrusiveness. Price. By the time they solve all of them there might be a direct brain interface. No display. No touch. No voice. Think it and it's done.
Batros kyren faat.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
I had Laser eye surgery to avoid glasses.
Ditto. What if I don't like the wearing gasses? Or what if I can't wear them on the job? Will they now scan my eyes with blinding red rays for coupons that I might have at the checkout counter. Won't be getting rid of the phone any time soon.
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
Life is a unity of opposites - Craig
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero - Voltaire
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman

Last edited by U4K61; 06-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4K61 View Post
Ditto. What if I don't like the wearing gasses? Or what if I can't wear them on the job? Will they now scan my eyes with blinding red rays for coupons that I might have at the checkout counter. Won't be getting rid of the phone any time soon.
i've worn glasses since i was 5 and another pair is EXACTLY what i want.

just in case anyone couldn't tell, that was sarcasm. except for the wearing glasses since i was 5, that part is true.
With all the meteor activity in this system, it's going to be difficult to spot approaching ships.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-

to those of you complaining about wearing glasses, do you never wear sunglasses? they'll have them for sunglasses and they'll have them for prescription glasses.

Last edited by xtop; 06-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

Quote:
to those of you complaining about wearing glasses, do you never wear sunglasses? they'll have them for sunglasses and they'll have them for prescription glasses.
I wear reading glasses, but just hate it.

No way I'll wear glasses for entertainment. And, I no longer attend 3-D films, either.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Here you just look like a dork with a camera next to your eye. It's bound to piss nearly everyone around you off as they'll always think you're monitoring them.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection

Last edited by Hatter; 06-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Handhelds, Mobiles, Tablets, Apps etc