Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #81
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
1. Gone With The Wind
2. Star Wars
3. The Sound of Music
4. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
5. Titanic

1 out of 5, and it was post-converted fifteen years later.

The other list;

1. Avatar
2. Titanic
3. The Avengers
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Does not account for inflation, or the increased ticket price of 3D. Plus, two of these movies were post-converted over a decade later, after they'd made the bulk of their profit.

Love 3D as much as you want, I do too. But we can't deny its fading popularity. Auto-stereoscopic/holography will save it, but don't hold your breath for them.

You'll have to wait for the 3D revolution, ver 4.0!
Mate, your wrong, sorry, here it is from box office mojo-

WORLDWIDE GROSSES
#1-100 - #101-200 - #201-300 - #301-400 - #401-500 - #501-504

Pink highlight = official revisions of older movies
Gold highlight = now playing or recent movies

Rank

Title

Studio

Worldwide

Domestic / %

Overseas / %

Year^

Fox

$2,782.3

$760.5

27.3%

$2,021.8

72.7%

2009^

Titanic

Par.

$2,185.4

$658.7

30.1%

$1,526.7

69.9%

1997^

Marvel's The Avengers

BV

$1,511.8

$623.4

41.2%

$888.4

58.8%

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

WB

$1,328.1

$381.0

28.7%

$947.1

71.3%

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

P/DW

$1,123.7

$352.4

31.4%

$771.4

68.6%

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Actually I was wrong, its 5 from 5.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #82
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
1. Gone With The Wind
2. Star Wars
3. The Sound of Music
4. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
5. Titanic

1 out of 5, and it was post-converted fifteen years later.

The other list;

1. Avatar
2. Titanic
3. The Avengers
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Does not account for inflation, or the increased ticket price of 3D.
so? times change, the second one is based on ac tual numbers while the first one is based on made up useless numbers that come out of no where.

Does the first list take into consideration, for example, that when Gone With The Wind came out there was nothing else to do (no TV, no PCs) and so movies where one of the very few activities for people back then? That back then a ticket was a fraction of a low end hourly wage while now they can be several times one (i.e. I just watched skyfall in Imax and the ticket was 20$, that means someone making minimum wage here they would need to work more hours then the running length of the film). Does it take into consideration that today I can see a film in theatres or at home a few weeks later but there was a time when the only option was to see a film in the theatres and so many of those films were re-released in theatres over the years because they thought people would want to re-see them. Does the first list take into consideration that today there are very very few second run theatres, but that for some of the films there were many second and thrid run theatres where the prices were practicaly free so teenagers did not care what was playing since buying the ticket there was all about having a nice dark room to make out in.

For some films the ticket sales are known, for others they are not and so it comes down to making up a guess at how many ticket sold based on revenue and then multiplying it with a fake number to give a guess of how well it would do today.

And in this discussion it makes even less sense to look at the adjusted chart. Why? in 2010 when Avatar’s numbers shot them to #1, they had the adjusted for inflation as lower then what it actually did in revenue, why? because most films were in 2D 2009 and so the “adjusted” ticket price was a lot more heavily influenced by 2D ticket price, today because there are a lot of films in 3D the average ticket price is higher and even in many ways the prices of tickets have not really changed the “adjusted ticket price” has.

PS also the adjusted chart is only for the US and so completely meaningless.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #83
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
Mate, your wrong, sorry, here it is from box office mojo-
actually he used http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
because studios don't make decisions on how much people spend in the world but only on some made up number that is only limited to the US
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #84
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
PS also the adjusted chart is only for the US and so completely meaningless.
Actually, the discussion is centered on box office receipts, and thus is completely meaningless.

The ridiculous game - which has devolved into some kind of "horse race" statistics - is that of counting box office receipts, over some defined amount of time. We get the wacky stuff:
  • Opening Weekend Numbers
  • Movie A vs Movie B on opening weekend
  • How the movie did with some age group or the other
  • Movie receipts by rating
  • How much money did it make since "X" date (Christmas, your birthday, whatever)
  • What season it was released in
These are games the studios play, of little or no interest to the consumer at all. Either you want to see the movie, or you don't. More importantly, do you want to got to the theater or not - this is increasingly a huge question.

Studios can pile up some cash pretty quickly, with a short chain from the theater to their bank accounts - fewer middlemen. Going the video route has more costs, and more fingers dipping into that stream of money - but the river can run for years if you have a hit, and ultimately return more cash, in many cases.

Since there are no same day theater and video releases, they can keep that quiet. Hold off on releasing the video, and the cash comes in faster. As far as revenue, and eyeballs on the film, video wins - some of the same theatergoers double dip, and I hate to shock people or commit heresy, but most people don't go to theaters. Many do, but most don't, or go very rarely. Virtually all buy videos.

If any statistic does not include total box office plus total video sales, since the time of initial release - it's immaterial. You will have a tough time getting these numbers, because it is not in the producer's interests to make the public privy to that information.

As long as the nightly newscaster can breathlessly give this week's box office number and give the absolutely moronic "who won this weekend" numbers, the public will be fooled.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #85
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Actually, the discussion is centered on box office receipts, and thus is completely meaningless.

The ridiculous game - which has devolved into some kind of "horse race" statistics - is that of counting box office receipts, over some defined amount of time. We get the wacky stuff://

I hate to shock people or commit heresy, but most people don't go to theaters. Many do, but most don't, or go very rarely. Virtually all buy videos.

As long as the nightly newscaster can breathlessly give this week's box office number and give the absolutely moronic "who won this weekend" numbers, the public will be fooled.
Interesting info, thanks.
New movie theaters have gone up in my area in the past 4 years, and they're doing well enough to stay in business past the first year (still open). So even though a lot of people I ask "Do you go to the movie theater to see a movie, or just rent/buy it?", end up saying, "I buy/rent it", myself and a good number of others are keeping the theaters alive and well thankfully, for the foreseeable future.

I love the movie theater. It's like entering another world. Cinemark does a great job with the theater experience, seating, movie times, selection, 3D, etc.

As far as 3D movies, I'd say 2013's line up of 3D movies is a good example, along with the huge movie Hobbit 3D, that 3D is not dying, but remaining strong, thanks to stronger 3D efforts by studios like Dreamworks, etc.

Many senior citizens could care less about 3D (not all), but I agree that 3D will go mainstream when we can buy a glasses-free 3DTV for the same price as a 2DTV. I'd say within the next 8 years hopefully.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Interesting info, thanks.
New movie theaters have gone up in my area in the past 4 years, and they're doing well enough to stay in business past the first year (still open). So even though a lot of people I ask "Do you go to the movie theater to see a movie, or just rent/buy it?", end up saying, "I buy/rent it", myself and a good number of others are keeping the theaters alive and well thankfully, for the foreseeable future.
They're not going anywhere, but they're a niche. The whole "experience" thing is enchanting for folks who can't afford that kind of faux opulence and presentation at home, but more folks are getting around to it. Once, there were only sqare television screens, and little built-in speakers - that's changing.

But as long as people are compressed into shared living spaces, such as apartments and condominiums, or folks they live with or near can't handle the noise - they'll feel the need to get the heck out of there and go to a movie - and theaters will be there. It's a lot cheaper to go to the show than it is to build up a big home theater.

Quote:
I love the movie theater. It's like entering another world. Cinemark does a great job with the theater experience, seating, movie times, selection, 3D, etc.

As far as 3D movies, I'd say 2013's line up of 3D movies is a good example, along with the huge movie Hobbit 3D, that 3D is not dying, but remaining strong, thanks to stronger 3D efforts by studios like Dreamworks, etc.
I always look over my shoulder when adjectives like "huge" and "blockbuster" get use, because what's huge at the local high school isn't huge at the old folk's home, and vice versa. With ticket prices what they are, I like to do the long division to see how many actual people, not dollar bills, flow into the theater. It's a whole new way of looking at things.

3D isn't going to "die", but it will change. It has to, so all markets - theaters, video, and broadcast - can actually be utilized by folks without destroying their budgets.

Quote:
Many senior citizens could care less about 3D (not all), but I agree that 3D will go mainstream when we can buy a glasses-free 3DTV for the same price as a 2DTV. I'd say within the next 8 years hopefully.
It's mostly the under-25 market that's enamored of it - over that age, and they don't give a hoot about Harry Potter, Hobbits, or any of it. If that market is supplied with a product they can afford, they'll buy it. It will all work out.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #87

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKH View Post
I didn't like 3D movies in till I watched Hugo 3D in the theatres. After I watched it I started to see the potential that 3D has. I watched MIB 3 in 3D too and it was really cool. But when I watched Star Wars: TPM in 3D, I was really disappointed. I guess its a hit or miss with 3D.
iirc, men in black 3 and sw:tpm were both "2d to 3d conversions" and "hugo" was actually filmed in 3d.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #88

Oct 2011

[QUOTE=GunZenBomZ;6363224]Hate it (eg: headaches/eye-strain/nausea), I was one of the first people to give the community a slap in the face regarding health effects. Which all been proved true & the industry admitted too them finally in a smallish percentage of people. Or was it the online sites doing surveys?!? nvm

QUOTE]

which is weird since I asked optometrists about it when I was a kid and they said watching 3-d (with the 3-d glasses) won't hurt or damage your eyes or eyesight in any way at all.

Last edited by 3Dfan; 09-28-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #89
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
which is weird since I asked optometrists about it when I was a kid and they said watching 3-d (with the 3-d glasses) won't hurt or damage your eyes or eyesight in any way at all.

Just curious...
  1. How many optometrists did you consult?
  2. For what condition?
  3. When were you a kid? Before electric glasses, or after?
It sounds unusual.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #90

Jan 2014
milwaukee,WI.

3D is the best thing to happened to film since DVD. I think it's here to stay, after all James Cameron introduced it & he is a wizard of the silver screen. I don't understand why people say its stupid. It adds to the film. However I will admit that all 3D is not created equal.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #91

Nov 2011
Seattle, WA

I think 3D is great

Yeah there is a lot of 3D animation fluff that doesn't add much to the movie

But movies like Prometheus, Hugo, Pacific Rim and Gravity benefit so much from 3D. I seen the 2D versions for all but its like watching Gone with the Wind/Wizard of Oz in Black n White or watching a Chaplin film without his own written score

PS: I do wear glasses, I'm 30 and have an active 3D Plasma TV and projector
My Reviews and Music
http://www.gastelos.com/
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #92

Sep 2013
Default 3d is awesome, but

3D is awesome, but I think that some of the attitudes about it arise because most TVs are to small. Even a 60/70 inch is to small. Try watching on a BIG projector up close , where you are so close 5/6/7 feet and the Image is so big that it fills your field of Vision so all you see is Picture and you feel like your in the Movie and your attitude will change.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #93
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
3D is awesome, but I think that some of the attitudes about it arise because most TVs are to small. Even a 60/70 inch is to small. Try watching on a BIG projector up close , where you are so close 5/6/7 feet and the Image is so big that it fills your field of Vision so all you see is Picture and you feel like your in the Movie and your attitude will change.

You're correct. 3D on most flat panels is a gimmick. On a large projector screen it can be an immersive experience.
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #94

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
Winner Winner chicken diner.
I use a projector. Big room. Sit anywhere from 12 to 26 feet from the screen....15' diagonal....awesome home 3d experience. Grandkids love it. Wife loves it. Jaws drop. Laughter. Smiling. Do I want to watch 3D every night? Of course not. Neither do I want my audio at 100+ decibels every night. But from time to time I sure do like firing it up!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #95
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

3D is not good.

It's amazing. Take the blu ray video quality and give it another dimension... Its beautful... 3D video is like multichannel audio.... Its freakin beautiful.

Those who knock it can't afford it or for one reason or another can't enjoy it.

I don't fault people with one eye or messed up vision,... That's mean. I got nothing against stuff like that.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #96

Aug 2013
Michigan, USA

I've only experienced 3d in theaters, on either RealD or IMAX - I adore 'em both.

People who get to experience such magic on projectors in their own homes make me burn with envy. My HT setup is pretty weak, actually. One day I hope some new gear. *sigh*
Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #97

Jan 2013
North Carolina

3D isn't good.... Its like Tony the Tiger says ITSSSSSSS GREAT!!!! I love the way the movie makes you want to go inside and look around. Now there are bad 3d movies just like bad 2d movies, but for the most part they are really really cool.
LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)
Klipsch Sub 12

Last edited by bears_t2; 02-20-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #98

Nov 2009

I like 3d a lot and if I can buy the movie in 3d I def do,i watched clash of the titans on reg. blu ray and then on 3d it still looked better on 3d to me than reg. blu ray and its one of the weaker 3d movies. If you have good size screen or projector it does look amazing.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #99
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

i freaking love 3D at home. If its done right like many titles has done now. Then you are always in for one hell of a ride. It takes viewing movies to a whole ew level

3D is definitely here to stay with so many cool movies heading our way already this year in 3D and i can't wait to own them on BD 3D
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #100
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

To me it is very simple, it can be, when it's shot natively!
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion