Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Default Blu-ray drive plays everything prefectly, except Blu-ray's...

Not sure where to post this, but I guess this should be it...
My PC Blu-ray drive hasn't been reading any of my blu-ray movies for the last three days now, it recognizes and plays all other discs just fine: CD, SACD, DVD, DVD Audio, 3" CD's all except Blu-ray for some odd reason. I already removed/uninstalled the drive both software aswell as hardware and reinstalled it, removed the registry (this one always reset's itself), I tried installing new drivers and everything but still no luck. In both Windows 7 aswell as Vista it doesn't recognize the discs and it's rather frustrating since I bought four new movies just before it decided to stop working.

I'm currently running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit (not so legal), aswell as Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (legal). And the drive is: ATAPI BD O DH4O1S SCSI CdRom Device (I have no idea which company made it honestly).

Anyone any idea how to get it working properly again..?
''The world is like a dream, Not bigger then a grain of sand, But bigger then an invisible reality.''
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #2

Nov 2008
Deep In The South Of Texas

Looking at some of your other posts I saw you were using PowerDVD 11 for Blu-ray. Personally I have no experience with the latest versions, but when I bought PDVD 8 Ultra I had nothing but problems getting it to work. Cyberlink's only response would be to update the driver's firmware, which wasn't an option since I already had the latest. On a whim I tried a demo of ArcSoft Total Media Theatre and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Your drive is a Lite-On, same model as I have in my PC. My advice, try better playback software.

http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/
Panny P42ST30 DMP-BD75 Onkyo TX-NR509 Yamaha NS-A636 CV E-75c Sony SS-MB105

Last edited by Stillhouse; 06-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Aug 2009

It's not PowerDVD that's causing the problem, it's the drive itself that doesn't recognize the disc at all. Whenever I put in a Blu-ray disc I can hear the drive spin a bit and then slow down again after which it does the same for two or three times and then Windows notifice's me that there isn't a disc and that I should insert one.

I opened the drive up just now and cleaned it up a bit (a few dust particles seemed to have slipped in) but even after blowing the lens clean it still doesn't recognize the Blu's
''The world is like a dream, Not bigger then a grain of sand, But bigger then an invisible reality.''
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

Nov 2008

Mine did the exact same thing. It's not the drive, I'm certain of it. Try the demo of Total Media Theatre.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #5

Aug 2009

Currently downloading the demo, hoping for the best

Edit: Well still nothing, program get's stuck when trying to load the BD and PC still doesn't recognize it...

Last edited by -shadow-; 06-22-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Nov 2008

Cyberlink software burrows in like a tick and is often pretty hard to get rid of. Uninstall PowerDVD, reboot and run CCleaner, reboot again, then try TMT.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Aug 2009

I removed it, and will now use CCleaner. I will report once everything is done

Edit: Still nothing, the program crashes and Windows doesn't recognize that there is a disc inserted at all...

Edit 2: I now also updated the Firmware and now it does recognize that there is a disc inserted (well that's one thing right) but it still doesn't do anything further. The program crashes and windows doesn't do anything else except the regular "Please insert Disc..."

Edit 3: Well yesterday it worked for a short while, it recognized the disc and played it getting stuck within three minutes and now it doesn't recognize the BD again at all again. This entire thing is one big mess, isn't there anything I can do to just make it recognize and play the discs normally again..?

Last edited by -shadow-; 06-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by -shadow- View Post
I removed it, and will now use CCleaner. I will report once everything is done

Edit: Still nothing, the program crashes and Windows doesn't recognize that there is a disc inserted at all...

Edit 2: I now also updated the Firmware and now it does recognize that there is a disc inserted (well that's one thing right) but it still doesn't do anything further. The program crashes and windows doesn't do anything else except the regular "Please insert Disc..."

Edit 3: Well yesterday it worked for a short while, it recognized the disc and played it getting stuck within three minutes and now it doesn't recognize the BD again at all again. This entire thing is one big mess, isn't there anything I can do to just make it recognize and play the discs normally again..?
You go here and buy this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...20N-DO&cat=DVD

$45 free shipping (use the code FREESHIP when you check out),
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #9

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Just for clarification...when you say SACD you mean the 2CH CD layer on a Hybrid SACD disc. This drive or any other drive for PC's will not play standard/true SACD.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #10

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by -shadow- View Post
Not sure where to post this, but I guess this should be it...
My PC Blu-ray drive hasn't been reading any of my blu-ray movies for the last three days now, it recognizes and plays all other discs just fine: CD, SACD, DVD, DVD Audio, 3" CD's all except Blu-ray for some odd reason. I already removed/uninstalled the drive both software aswell as hardware and reinstalled it, removed the registry (this one always reset's itself), I tried installing new drivers and everything but still no luck. In both Windows 7 aswell as Vista it doesn't recognize the discs and it's rather frustrating since I bought four new movies just before it decided to stop working.

I'm currently running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit (not so legal), aswell as Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (legal). And the drive is: ATAPI BD O DH4O1S SCSI CdRom Device (I have no idea which company made it honestly).

Anyone any idea how to get it working properly again..?
SIngle blu-ray or all blu-rays.

The blue ray in the blu-ray player may have failed or may need dust cleaning.

You definitely should look at the info for the drive and see if your supplier has a update for its firmware or drivers. Note often firmware updates require a complete shutdown and startup, not a simple restart.

Last edited by Tns49; 06-23-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Just for clarification...when you say SACD you mean the 2CH CD layer on a Hybrid SACD disc. This drive or any other drive for PC's will not play standard/true SACD.
Sorry I need to correct myself there, kinda mixed things up, I ment a gold MFSL disc (my current and previous dvd-player in the living room can't for some reason). Not a SACD, my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tns49 View Post
SIngle blu-ray or all blu-rays.

The blue ray in the blu-ray player may have failed or may need dust cleaning.

You definitely should look at the info for the drive and see if your supplier has a update for its firmware or drivers. Note often firmware updates require a complete shutdown and startup, not a simple restart.
It's both type's of BD's, they aren't recognized at all. I updated the firmware last night and fully turned off my PC (unplugged and waited a couple of minutes), and it did recognize afterwards and played one of the discs for a couple of minutes and then the program crashed, then it stopped recognizing the discs alltogether again. It's really acting up currently, in Windows Vista it started working about two hours ago, however in 7 it's still being a pain...
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #12

May 2011

Its quite possible the bluray laser diode is dead/dying. This is a separate diode to the CD/DVD one. Indeed early 405nm diodes are relatively unreliable compared to current ones.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #13

Aug 2009

Well it's not the diode since I got the drive to work again in both Windows Vista as well as in Windows 7 now, I don't know the exact reason as to what caused the problem, but atleast I got it fully working again after multiple re-instals and custom chosen drivers as opposed to what Windows would do out of itself
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #14

Jun 2012

I've had my blu ray portable PC drive for about six weeks and it suddenly stopped reading Blu Ray's. Decided to try the advice on here and went over the laser with a very fine micro fibre cloth I own and also cleaned the Blu Ray disc of a couple of finger prints and it's working again

Massive thanks to whoever suggested that because I'd really given up on the player working again as it was only a cheap 30 player I bought of ebay.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #15

Oct 2012

I'm having the same problem, the disc just spins in the drive, isn't recognized by windows, and all blu ray software freezes until the disc is ejected. Can we think of anything other than the laser? Not sure I would be able to fix that by myself, and it really shouldn't be dirty/dying. My drive is fairly new and this is the first blu ray I've tried playing.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Banned

Nov 2012

Massive thanks to whoever suggested that
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software