Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96
31 min ago
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #441
Power Member

Dec 2010
New Jersey

I bit on this collection last night and while I'm still bummed that the unrated cut of "Live Free or Die Hard" isn't included on this box set, it was just bothering me not having these flicks in my Blu-ray collection. I'm sure I'll regret it when another box set down the road is released with the unrated cut included
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #442

Apr 2010

The first three movies need new remasters.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #443
Special Member

Jul 2008

Thinking about biting for 19.99. Decisions decisions.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #444
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1973 View Post
The first three movies need new remasters.
All three need complete 4K restorations and audio upgrades.

The current collection is not worth buying.
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2

Last edited by timcat4843; 11-24-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #445
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

The way I see it, if you haven't bought this in the five years since it came out, you may as well wait another few months until you can get a five pack with A Good Day To Die Hard. Otherwise, your collection would look odd anyway, having four in a box set and one seperate. Either all seperate (an expensive choice!) or all together looks nicer in my opinion.

And they might even upgrade the other 4 for this new boxset.

However, I could be completely wrong and no new boxset and no remasters are in the works at all.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #446
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

The PG-13 cut of LFODH is superior to the unrated cut. The unrated cut adds some questionable CGI blood and takes away some of the best lines just to add a few f**k's in the movie.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #447
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
The PG-13 cut of LFODH is superior to the unrated cut. The unrated cut adds some questionable CGI blood and takes away some of the best lines just to add a few f**k's in the movie.
Yeah I usually avoid "unrated" editions.
Sometimes it's an actual directors cut... But most if the time it's just adding a bunch of unecessary stuff to the film.

LFODH is a great example.
They ended up taking some of the best parts out and the action scenes are pretty much designed to be PG13 so the cgi blood is more distracting than anything else. Also the one f-bomb isn't enough. The censorship in the regular cut is sort of(not really) clever whereas adding it back in is just profanity for the sake of profanity(and this is coming from someone who loves Pulp Fiction and In Bruges)
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #448
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

The fact is, the "unrated" cut is not what the fans wanted in the first place (the CGI blood, the shoehorned in swearing).

Not to sound unpleasable, but I agree this is a case of the unrated cut not being ideal (however, I will say that I often find them better).
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #449

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
It's "watered down" because it sells more tickets, plain and simple. With production costs at an all-time high, studios have to make their money back. That's just the way it is. I love Die Hard as much as the next guy, but to say it needs swearing to make it feel right is nonsense to me. Foul language doesn't add anything to the movie, doesn't change the plot or the characters... And remember, the unrated cut isn't the original cut... it has ADR that doesn't match the lips because they went back and added swearing later. It wasn't meant to be there in the first place, in some instances, and wasn't even shot that way.
The swearing and the blood make it feel 'right' because it coincides with the 'feel' of the first three movies. Mclain's swearing I think helps convey his cocky and confident 'f' it!' attitude. That ADR drives me nuts too--don't get me wrong. As you said, Retablo, it wasn't meant to be there in the first place--and you're right. That's my problem with part 4.

Kevin Holly nailed it: The fact is, the "unrated" cut is not what the fans wanted in the first place

Kryptonic has it right too whereas they tried too hard to add things back in to please the fans.

I'm partial to the unrated cut only because that's the closest I'll get to how that movie 'should' have been. You give long-time fans 3 movies with graphic violence, a lot of blood, and a lot of swearing, and then 'water-down' the fourth movie in the series to accommodate a broader audience... it's going to piss some people off.

That said, I greatly enjoyed LFODH; it worked in its own right and yes the theatrical flowed better than the unrated. BUT, the unrated (had it been done right) is how it should have been in the first place. The market for 'that' movie already existed and I'm confident it would have done just fine with an R rating.
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120

Last edited by Red Pill 101; 11-24-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #450
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

So we know that a new commentary track has been recorded for a Die Hard 25th Anniversary disc. Now we have the pictures of the sets, courtesy of japan. Everyone is getting them in January. No word on a US release. Comes with a ticket to the new movie.
Bonus disc comes with the boxed set. It says (translated): With Special Disc comes only now public memorial Roadshow "Die Hard / Last Day" expanding nationwide one other play date "Die Hard / Last Day" published winter 2013, over 1 hour in ● "Die Hard 4.0" inclusion benefits recorded a new video more than two hours a discount coupon

Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #451

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
So we know that a new commentary track has been recorded for a Die Hard 25th Anniversary disc. Now we have the pictures of the sets, courtesy of japan. Everyone is getting them in January. No word on a US release. Comes with a ticket to the new movie.
Bonus disc comes with the boxed set. It says (translated): With Special Disc comes only now public memorial Roadshow "Die Hard / Last Day" expanding nationwide one other play date "Die Hard / Last Day" published winter 2013, over 1 hour in ● "Die Hard 4.0" inclusion benefits recorded a new video more than two hours a discount coupon

I hope that means the U.S. will be getting a new box set of all the movies remastered as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #452
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1973 View Post
I hope that means the U.S. will be getting a new box set of all the movies remastered as well.
If they do a great job of re-mastering each film, I will buy the box set, if the price is right.

Hope they give us the fourth film uncut.
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #453
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

I will re buy if the set is remastered...
"Nice night for a walk."
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #454
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Quote:
It's "watered down" because it sells more tickets, plain and simple. With production costs at an all-time high, studios have to make their money back. That's just the way it is.
No one is disputing this. I love the free market, and the studios have the right to water down their movie as much as they want.

I don't have to like the result, however.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #455
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
No one is disputing this. I love the free market, and the studios have the right to water down their movie as much as they want.

I don't have to like the result, however.
No, but since you really have no choice, why fight something you can't control?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #456
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

[QUOTE=Red Pill 101;6784737]The swearing and the blood make it feel 'right' because it coincides with the 'feel' of the first three movies. Mclain's swearing I think helps convey his cocky and confident 'f' it!' attitude. That ADR drives me nuts too--don't get me wrong. As you said, Retablo, it wasn't meant to be there in the first place--and you're right. That's my problem with part 4. /QUOTE]

Actions speak louder than words. If McClane is ONLY cocky and confident when he's spouting F Bombs, then he's completely failed as a character.

Luckily, that just isn't the case. Besides, it's not like the first 3 films were riddled with expletives in the first place.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #457
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Quote:
No, but since you really have no choice, why fight something you can't control?
I'm not sure what you're saying here....

Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #458
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Heads up for all fans of Michael Kamen and Die Hard With a Vengeance:

La La Land Records will be releasing a remastered, expanded version of Kamen's score for the film as a double-CD set:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La La Land Records on Facebook
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE – EXPANDED ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK -- 2 CD SET
MUSIC BY MICHAEL KAMEN
LLLCD 1233
LIMITED EDITION OF 4000 UNITS
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

PRODUCED BY NICK REDMAN, MIKE MATESSINO and DIDIER C. DEUTSCH
MASTERED BY MIKE MATESSINO
LINER NOTES BY JEFF BOND
ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

Michael Kamen is back with a vengeance at La-La Land Records with this spectacular 2 cd set brought to you courtesy of Sony Music and 20th Century Fox . Literally years in the making, this explosive set features over 2 hours of music written and recorded for the third film in the Die Hard franchise. The soundtrack that was released back in 1995 only contained only a fair amount of score, songs and some classical cues that were not ever featured in the final film. This newly expanded release gives the fans what they have been clamoring for…and then some. Not only are we releasing the score as written for the film, but also several rejected tracks never heard until now. If you are fan of high octane, action packed scoring this is a must have release!
It will go on sale Tuesday, December 4th at 4:00 PM EST / 1:00 PM PST. LLL released a similar set for Die Hard in late 2011, and it sold out its 3500 copies in just a few days, so expect this one to go quick!

You could order it direct from La La Land here once the time comes.

Track Listing:

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by La La Land Records on Facebook
DISC ONE

1 Summer in the City 2:44
Performed by The Lovin’ Spoonful
(John Sebastian/Mark Sebastian/Steve Boone)
2 Main Title*:19
3 Goodbye Bonwits 6:28
4 John and Zeus 3:20
5 Taxi* 1:51
6 Neat Bomb* 2:11
7 Papaya King 5:19
8 72nd Street Phone* 3:18
9 Taxi Chase* 5:08
10 The Subway (Part 1)* 4:24
11 The Subway (Part 2)* 2:15
12 Take A-nother Train 2:54
13 Feds* 4:42
14 Rings a Bell* 8:28
15 Infiltration* 5:33
16 Bank Invasion* 4:15
17 Back to Wall Street* 2:55
18 Fake Cops* 1:42
19 The Federal Reserve 2:18
20 Bank Elevator** 2:54
21 Gold Room Aftermath 1:36
22 Panic* 2:04

Total Disc Time: 76:37

DISC TWO

1 Aqueduct 2:12
2 Santa Claus* 2:36
3 Yankee Stadium / School and Tunnel* 3:42
4 Refrigerator Bomb* :40
5 Surfing in the Aqueduct 2:29
6 Ticking Refrigerator* :50
7 Mercedes Chase / School Assembly* 3:14
8 Aftermath / Waiting and Falling* 2:00
9 Hooking the Boat* 5:45
10 Bunny and Fire Drill* 2:39
11 Running in the Halls* 1:42
12 Bomb Goes Into Hold* 5:24
13 John Makes It Mad* 1:39
14 Holly / Celebration* 3:17
15 Oh, Canada!* 3:23
16 Johnny Comes Marching Home* 1:39

Total Time: 43:07
Total Score Time: 1:59:44

Bonus Tracks:
17 Regret* 1:57
18 Hooking the Boat (alternate)* 4:23
19 On the Freighter / John Makes It Mad* 3:30
20 Wall Street Station* 1:29
21 The Subway (Part 1) (alt. segment)* 1:31
22 The Subway (Part 2) (alt. segment)* :47
23 Ode to Johnny* 3:12
24 No Rush* 1:20
25 Escape* 2:05
26 The Foundry 3:08
27 Waltz of the Bankers (album track) 4:15
28 Gold Vault (album track) 3:50
29 Somebody Had Fun (wild snare)* 1:16
30 Johnny Comes Marching Home (wild vamps)* 1:29

Total Bonus: 34:06
Total Disc Time: 77:23
Total Two-Disc Time: 2:34:00

* Previously unreleased
** Contains previously unreleased music
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #459

Apr 2012
Manhattan, NY

Hey guys,

I'm desperately seeking a high-quality screenshot of the "NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN HO-HO-HO" scene (specifically, the shot of the sweater with the text). Can anybody help a fellow forumer out? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #460
Blu-ray Insider

Nov 2009
Woodland Hills, CA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pill 101 View Post
The swearing and the blood make it feel 'right' because it coincides with the 'feel' of the first three movies. Mclain's swearing I think helps convey his cocky and confident 'f' it!' attitude. That ADR drives me nuts too--don't get me wrong. As you said, Retablo, it wasn't meant to be there in the first place--and you're right. That's my problem with part 4.
Actions speak louder than words. If McClane is ONLY cocky and confident when he's spouting F Bombs, then he's completely failed as a character.

Luckily, that just isn't the case. Besides, it's not like the first 3 films were riddled with expletives in the first place.
Have you seen those films lately? I think you'd be surprised. Die Hard has about 60 "f*cks" or about 1 every 2 minutes. Die Hard 2 has about 70 "f*cks" in it's 2 hour 4 minute runtime. Die Hard with a Vengeance has about 105 "f*cks" or almost 1 every minute (255 total examples of profanity throughout). While I agree that action speaks louder than words, one of the most important parts of a character is his voice. Live Free of Die Hard (while being FAR better than it had any right to be) completely misses McClane's voice. The way someone talks is just as important as how they act in building who they are. But let's be honest, LFODH didn't capture McClane's physical embodiment either. It was 2 hours of grouchy Bruce Willis without any of the spark or attitude that he had in the first three movies. There's two moments in the newest trailer (the moment where he smirks and the "007 of Plainview New Jersey" line) where it actually feels more like John McClane than LFODH contained in its entirety.

Also, this needs to be clarified... Live Free or Die Hard is not a finished film in either version. It was begun as an R-rated Die Film and it was decided by the studio to switch to PG-13 mid-way through shooting. This isn't opinion or myth. I know people connected to production who confirmed it while they were still shooting. If you look at the PG-13 cut, a lot of it is edited in wide shoots to cover some pretty bad ADR where they REMOVED the various originally written and recorded "f*cks." When the unrated cut was done, they were able to restore much of this original dialog, but had to poorly ADR the unrated dialog back in over the "cleaned" footage from the second half of production. What people were ultimately given was in incomplete film in both versions.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Accuracy isn't.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America