Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Chimpanzee $13.99 (34% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Blu-ray)
$4.00
The Bamboo Saucer (Blu-ray)
$18.95
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fairy Tail: Part 7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #4161

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1989 View Post
Probably because the change from a chunky video tape to a disc was different and appealing.

Going from DVD to Blu is kind of the same so hasn't gotten peoples attention so much
This. DVDs offered a selection menu, subtitle options, language options, scene selections (no longer have to rewind your tapes at the end ), bonus material, improved video/audio quality. The jump from VHS to DVD was HUGE. From DVD to Blu Ray, all we got was a jump in resolution.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #4162
Power Member

Jan 2009
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
most people don't want to have to upgrade to a new medium every 4-5 years....i think that's the biggest problem.

that and people that say they can't see a differenece between blu and dvd.

I had some one who claimed sky HD looked the same as SKY
they had a HDTV and sky HD box hooked up with a scart cable.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #4163
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
The time difference between the first DVD player and the first Blu-ray Disc player is far more than 5 years. So your "4-5" theory is nulled.
And you decided to use your FIRST post in these forums to be a complete douche to a long-time, well-respected member WHY?

Me thinks you won't last long around here. Back to junior high with you.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 11-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #4164
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1989 View Post
Probably because the change from a chunky video tape to a disc was different and appealing.

Going from DVD to Blu is kind of the same so hasn't gotten peoples attention so much
Agreed. I remember the jump from VHS to DVD it was really different..better.

Blu-rays didn't take off well for a few reasons. Format war with HD-DVD and the start of the recession were big reasons. People not feeling the need to upgrade is another.

And now blu-ray has survived..but technology has caught up with it. Like it (not me)or not blu-ray quality downloads will take over eventually. I'm not so sure they ever need to be blu-ray quality...If you don't have an AV system and are just watching through the TV only, the current HD downloads(iTunes,Amazon, PSN etc) are "good enough " for most people. Downloads have over taken books & music. Slowly happening now with videogames.

Now whenever the next physical format begins..if there is one..I probably won't upgrade again.. I've been through enough lol .. VHS-DVD-BLU-Downloads

Last edited by bandit29; 11-20-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #4165
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Don't underestimate the learning curve for blu-ray. Take your average AV consumer and ask them to define the difference between Composite, Component, and HDMI. I could guess that there are a good many people out there that would buy a blu-ray player get it home and hook it up with the old composite cable that they used for their DVD player, put on their brand new blu-ray and turn around and state quite truthfully that blu-ray doesn't look much better then DVD to them. Are they wrong or just misinformed?

Another angle is my favorite ploy of advertising how much better the picture and sound of a blu-ray are by playing an advertisement on the begining of a DVD .

Now as an aside I don't think blu-ray sales are anywhere near as dismal as some people think. I think there are rose colored glasses on this one thinking hey back in 2003 no body was buying VHS so by proxy on day one blu-ray should have crushed DVD. When in point of fact Blu-ray had to first contend with HDDvd for its first couple of years (and believe it or not there are still a lot of people out there that remember the Beta-Max/VHS war) and decided to wait that period out to see who won. Now that that is over you really had the tru begining of Blu-ray as the decisive successor to DVD so we are really only a couple of years into the formats true reign.

Good points have also been made about the TV hardware. With DVD all you had to do was buy a dvd player and you were ready to go (Unless you wanted true progressive scan DVD and how many people upgraded to component video for that). Now there is a new TV, new Cables, and if you want to take advantage of the HD audio codecs then you also get to buy an AVR reciever and probably a surround sound speaker setup. That is a HUGE investment for what is realistically for the average Home AV experience (i.e a 46" screen at close to 10+ feet away viewing distance) a very minor upgrade in quality.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #4166
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
Don't underestimate the learning curve for blu-ray. Take your average AV consumer and ask them to define the difference between Composite, Component, and HDMI. I could guess that there are a good many people out there that would buy a blu-ray player get it home and hook it up with the old composite cable that they used for their DVD player, put on their brand new blu-ray and turn around and state quite truthfully that blu-ray doesn't look much better then DVD to them. Are they wrong or just misinformed?

Thanks,
T
this. I have friends who still can't figure that stuff out. They always ask me. I don't mind. I had to explain all this to my chief of police brother in law lol.. he was like huh? lol Now he a 108" HD projector screen in his basement lol
Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #4167
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2010
Chicago

I've got a different question: why do so many people care whether Blu-ray meets or surpasses various DVD-related yardsticks?

Household penetration is more than respectable, players are more than affordable, we're getting a wider and wider selection of well-produced catalog titles every year and discs are dirt cheap.

DVD was phenomally successful. It had over 90% household penetration. That's up there with phones and tvs. It's a really high bar.

Does it really matter if Blu-ray hits those levels or not?
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #4168
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
NYC

I hated VHS, I remember when my Raiders tape broke and I opened it and taped it back together.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #4169
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattvonSyborg View Post
Some good points here. Most people I know (regular non film-freaks) have always stared in disbelief when they see my DVD collection. They usually stream or download movies (maybe see them in theatres and rent them) but a lot of people don't really see the need to rewatch movies that much.
I have had the same response from people when they see my collection. I have heard things like "Why do you need all those movies?" or "When will you ever watch all them?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattvonSyborg View Post
but a lot of people don't really see the need to rewatch movies that much
And I hear people say stuff like that all the time too. Like "Oh I have already seen it so why would I watch it again."
People just have different interests and passions I guess.
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Out of the Past (1947), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Arabesque (1966), Blood Link (1982), The Inspector Betti Trilogy (75'-76'), Amuck (1972), Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1987), Mirage (1965), Waking The Dead (2000).
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #4170
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla
-
-

I don't agree with the idea that blu-ray hasn't taken off like DVD. DVD did not surpass VHS in sales/rentals until 2003, that was 6 years. We are already seeing this year that certain big blu-ray titles are outselling their DVD counterparts. Almost the same time frame.

Plus things are different now, we have Hulu, Netflix, webTV, Digital Cable/Satellites with instant access, options we just didn't have in 1997 to compete with DVD or VHS.

My collection is far greater vs the same time frame as DVD, but not as big as laserdisc in the same first 6 years.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #4171
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Two_Cents View Post
And you decided to use your FIRST post in these forums to be a complete douche to a long-time, well-respected member WHY?

Me thinks you won't last long around here. Back to junior high with you.
I don't know if he is a douch or not, but DVD came out in 1996 ibn Japan and 1997 in the US, that is 9-10 years
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #4172
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I've got a different question: why do so many people care whether Blu-ray meets or surpasses various DVD-related yardsticks?
agree, especially since most of them tend to be imaginary

Quote:
DVD was phenomally successful.
that is a good point. I still believe there is a good chance that major studios will drop DVD faster then they did for VHS , but even if it is a bit longer will it realy mean anything?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #4173

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
I have had the same response from people when they see my collection. I have heard things like "Why do you need all those movies?" or "When will you ever watch all them?".
I get the same response from my library of books.

I say the same thing when I go round to someone's house and see their massive collection of thimbles. It doesn't really mean a lot, that comment.

I've managed to amass a far larger collection of blurays than I ever did DVD. DVD and those massive "36 TVs never managed to cut it for me as far as Home Cinema went. It always seemed like a compromise, I'd watched DVD and even VHS on projector screens and it was always a slightly muted affair - the shortcomings were way too noticable for me to bother much.

Bluray, however, means that you can, after some purchases and DIY, screen a film at 12-15 feet at home, really capture the cinema feel, look and sound like never before.

Now when someone asks me why I've got a load of movies on the shelf, the answer is 'why wouldn't I'?

Last edited by KRW1; 11-21-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #4174

Aug 2009

As politely as possible, how can people claim that blu looks the same as dvd when one only shows half the frame at a time(interlaced) and has 1000 lines rather than about 500?

Many DVD sets such as documentaries and TV series require fewer blu discs so are easier to manage.

A 2 DVD set commonly fits one Blu with out compramise
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #4175
Power Member

Apr 2010
Out There

One of my co-workers (Scott) this week asked me if I knew when the BD of Ted was out, I told him I'd check and find the best price for him. Next day I go to work and tell him there's 2 versions available, the single BD and the DVD plus BD + digital copy version.

His reaction was a "Huh" I repeated myself, only to get "what's the difference" I patiently explained the difference between a BD and a DVD, now Scott has had a BD player for 12 months or so. And you know what he said "oh I thought they were the same thing"

I walked off, what could I say
Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #4176
Banned

Mar 2012
Currently suspended from the ceiling of the moderators rape dungeon.

Digitally mastered movies still look pretty good at DVD resolution, and most players support progressive playback at 480p and upscaling so interlacing is less of an issue. Generally, about half of BD masters are not adequately of HD quality to represent a genuine step up from a DVD. Sure, there are great BD titles out there, but they are an exception and not a rule. Content wise, there are still many VHS only titles, and many more Laserdisc or DVD only titles, I'm not gonna be limiting myself to watching the mainstream titles on BD because of self imposed artifical limitations.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #4177
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Norway
Send a message via MSN to alphadec

because people are idiots! all people wants is to sit and watch movie on low resolution ipad and mobile phones.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #4178
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
...if a show didn't sell well enough on DVD, studios won't bother with a BD release.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
...Crummy economy is another factor...
Could be, but a BD is a cheap fix over driving the family to the theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec1912 View Post
Why did blu ray not take of like DVD's?
DVD was a bigger change over VHS then BD is over DVD despite 6x the resolution.
A lot of people sit too far back from their sets so the DVD PQ is enouf for them.
DVD is priced lower and can be played back in a Blu-ray player; VHS was a dead end.
It seems as long they are selling something that uses a 12cm disc, DVD can continue ad infinitum.
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
Life is a unity of opposites - Craig
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero - Voltaire
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman

Last edited by U4K61; 11-26-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #4179
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Anyone ever notice how many of the "can't see a difference" people choose to watch there cable shows in hd and can see a difference there. Lol.

I think bluray has caught on pretty fast... remember all these same comments back when dvd players first hit. My first dvd player ran me $800 ... one playets and movies hit low prices it became the standard.... not neccesarily because of all the benefits over vhs. Same is happening with blu now.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #4180

Nov 2012

I don't see it happening. The existence of streaming video didn't prevent my friends and family from buying DVDs and blu-ray in the past. People like the physical copies, and they like having the special features, something streaming services just won't do.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology