Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$27.23
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Vincent Price Collection II (Blu-ray)
$59.76
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
Default Projection Screen Adjustment

I just had a brain wave. Actually last weekend.

I have always loved my setup. It is a lot of fun and out performs any cinema in my area.

However the fuss gene in me has had just one pet hate and I always believe in getting things perfect.

I get a bit of a distraction from reflected light on to my speakers from my projection screen. See below.

It is not distracting in bright scenes. Because the image is sooooooo bright you don't notice it on the speakers. However on some dark scenes it becomes a little distracting.

So my idea was. What if the screen was in front of the Center Channel? What a bloody great idea.

NOTE: Black felt on Center Channel to stop reflection

No reflection of Center Channel
No reflection of Main Speakers
Screen will be closer so bigger ratio. I will now sit at 1:1 image width back (same distance from screen as it's width) BIG.
No line of sight to the two silver IR remote senders in wall. One for rack, One for Remote lighting.
The picture will just appear to be floating in the room.

So how do I do that????

Well I'm going to do this.
I'm going to get made 2x wooden Cube shelf units that are going to be mounted on the wall behind the screen. Like this:

Photo taken on an angle. They will be cubes not a triangle looking thing above.

The screen will be then mounted on these cubes. Which will put the screen in front of all speakers. The cube shelves will not be seen from sitting position, they will be located right behind. They are going to be open backed and I am going to install two lights behind the screen so it shines through them also on the floor. Control will be rigged to the remote lighting.
The cubes will also act as extra storage for Blu-ray Collectibles, Manuals and Remotes.

What do you think?

I will keep posting as the project moves along.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.

Last edited by Badas; 11-15-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

I'm all for HT projects, but wouldn't it be easier to build around the speakers and paint match the wall?

Or even a false wall for the front of your room?
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

^

Not really with carpet and everything laid down. I don't really want to hide the speakers also. I love their look.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

It wasn't quite clear to me, are you replacing the screen with an acoustically transparent one? You will loose considerable audio quality if you simply place your existing screen in front of your centre channel.

I'm clearly a supporter of having your speakers behind the screen, I believe that's where they belong
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
It wasn't quite clear to me, are you replacing the screen with an acoustically transparent one? You will loose considerable audio quality if you simply place your existing screen in front of your centre channel.

I'm clearly a supporter of having your speakers behind the screen, I believe that's where they belong
No it will be the same screen. However instead of the screen sitting behind the speaker. It will sit just in front of it. About 1-2mm. So it will still look like this photo.

The screen will cover the top inch of the center speaker. No drivers will get covered.

Ta Dono

Last edited by Badas; 11-15-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

I just had a brain wave. Actually last weekend.

I have always loved my setup. It is a lot of fun and out performs any cinema in my area.

However the fuss gene in me has had just one pet hate and I always believe in getting things perfect.

I get a bit of a distraction from reflected light on to my speakers from my projection screen. See below.

It is not distracting in bright scenes. Because the image is sooooooo bright you don't notice it on the speakers. However on some dark scenes it becomes a little distracting.

So my idea was. What if the screen was in front of the Center Channel? What a bloody great idea.

NOTE: Black felt on Center Channel to stop reflection

No reflection of Center Channel
No reflection of Main Speakers
Screen will be closer so bigger ratio. I will now sit at 1:1 image width back (same distance from screen as it's width) BIG.
No line of sight to the two silver IR remote senders in wall. One for rack, One for Remote lighting.
The picture will just appear to be floating in the room.

So how do I do that????

Well I'm going to do this.
I'm going to get made 2x wooden Cube shelf units that are going to be mounted on the wall behind the screen. Like this:

Photo taken on an angle. They will be cubes not a triangle looking thing above.

The screen will be then mounted on these cubes. Which will put the screen in front of all speakers. The cube shelves will not be seen from sitting position, they will be located right behind. They are going to be open backed and I am going to install two lights behind the screen so it shines through them also on the floor. Control will be rigged to the remote lighting.
The cubes will also act as extra storage for Blu-ray Collectibles, Manuals and Remotes.

What do you think?

I will keep posting as the project moves along.

Ta Dono
Looks great as does your set up mate colour me green with envy
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Okay,

I did stage 1 of my Screen adjustment in the weekend. If I bring my screen forward I will get reflection off the ceiling. Below is what it use to look like.

Below: So I extended my black ceiling panel. It is covering most of it now. Popped lights and smoke detector. Masked off area to be painted. I have gone for the deepest darkest Matt black. I wanted it to contrast with the first panel. I will go for this colour for the whole room when I repaint next year.

Below: Finished result with everything put back together. Two coats of paint.

And what it looks like with a movie going. bugger all reflection at all now. Really feels like that cave experience. Just need to pull my screen forward now to stop any speaker reflection.

Photo taken right at the back of the room, straight under the projector

Photo taken from seat

Ta Dono
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Why not just hang the screen from the ceiling?

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFattBill View Post
Why not just hang the screen from the ceiling?

Bill
That is exactly what I am going to do. I just want a more professional look with see through shelving on the side as well.

Ta Dono
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Okay, It is all on this weekend.

My cubes have arrived.

I have also got more black as black paint to match the ceiling block. It will blend from the ceiling down the front wall.

Just need to go and get a new paint roller some mounting bolts and then I'm all ready. I will get the project done this weekend (I have the whole weekend free). Will post some photo's as I do it.

Ta Dono

Last edited by Badas; 12-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Okay my weekends work. 19 hours in total. Love the result

All the stuff from the front to the back

Front wall. A bit of a mess behind the screen. I tidied this all up. Re-stopped and painted

1st coat of paint. Note# the cut in angle from the roof to the front wall. I really like the effect. Inviting.

Second coat of paint almost dry. Went off to sleep for a few hours.

This is what makes me proud to be a kiwi. We think outside the square. This is my bedside cabinet and my car jack used to hold the first lot of new cubes in position.

First cubes up. I used 5 M8 Bolts straight into Roof and Wall stud. They are never going to move. Took all my strength to screw them in. Got blisters.

Second lot done the same way

My wife is going to love me. I pinched her leather placemats to hold my center speaker.

Speaker into position. Has to go in before screen

Screen up. Made sure screen didn't cover any Center drivers. All good

Getting things back. Like a cave now. Note extra storage on side of screen

Photo from back. Notice speakers just blend into back wall colour. No reflection will now go on speakers from screen as they are behind

Finished results. Note how close to the screen now. 1:1 Screen width ratio. Same as imax

Re Zoomed and Focused my projector. First movie was Prometheus. With my legs put up on my seat I felt like I was standing in the picture. It was a real amazing experience.

Ta Dono

Last edited by Badas; 12-09-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Amazing job you did there man! I can tell you put a lot of work and love into that room and setup. Even from a 2D photo, it looks almost like it's floating, and I would think that having your front soundstage coming from about the same distance as the screen should help anchor it more to the screen, as opposed to having them out front.

Nice job!
Joe
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
Amazing job you did there man! I can tell you put a lot of work and love into that room and setup. Even from a 2D photo, it looks almost like it's floating, and I would think that having your front soundstage coming from about the same distance as the screen should help anchor it more to the screen, as opposed to having them out front.

Nice job!
Thanks my man. A lot of hard work but worth it. Now to bring on all my new Black Friday movies.

Dono
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

That has some great ingenuity! Great idea.

Did you consider a tab tension electric screen mounted to the joists before constructing your mounts?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #15

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Great Job Dono

I like everything you have done & am sure that Black wall/ceiling & having the fronts behind the screen will make for a whole different experience.

Time for some screen shots Buddy
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
That has some great ingenuity! Great idea.

Did you consider a tab tension electric screen mounted to the joists before constructing your mounts?
Thanks,

No I didn't. That is also a great idea.

I'm happy with this tho. Can't wait for my next movie. Bloody large picture and so far I haven't spotted any pixel structure. Great projector.

Ta Dono
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post

Time for some screen shots Buddy
It sure is. Brent and I are real screen shot sluts.

Ta Dono
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

That turned out fantastic, well done

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

^^^

Thanks Mate.

Okay, Just finished up some minor things on my project last night.

I ripped out the silver lights in the ceiling and painted them Matt black. I used car exhaust spray paint that is designed to handle extreme heat. Worked well.

Also I have this at the entrance to the Theatre.

However I needed something on the door itself. Nice pic aye.
It is block mounted. I kept it small so I wouldn't loose resolution.

Ta Dono
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #20

Aug 2011
Cincy, OH

Looking great! Those changes add a nice touch to your HT room op!
Sony HW30AES
Screen Innovations performance 100" 1.3g Solar 4K
Denon 4311ci
Klipsch RC3
Klipsch KLF-20x 2
PS4
HSU VTF-15H
Psn id BornSlippyZ010
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction