Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #241
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

I don't get why people argue over the two.
They both sound great, because they're *lossless* and while one might sound quieter than the other... that really doesn't matter when you have a button on your remote to raise and lower volume.

I'm not sure why fewer people are using Dolby, but I did develop a preference for DTS-HD MA when Warner Bros. started using it. However, it wasn't a sound thing. It had to do with convenience.

Many of the Dolby TrueHD titles I own also come with a regular Dolby 640. And unfortunately, most of these WB films started automatically without a menu. They'd default to lossy Dolby 640, and I'd have to open the pop-up menu as the movie started, go through the menu(and every movement on the menu generates an obnoxious sound effect for some insane reason) and select the lossless Dolby Digital TrueHD audio and then rewind back to the beginning.

Once WB started using DTS-HD, the movies would default to the lossless DTS-HD MA every time. But at this point, WB films started with a menu again.

One thing I've noticed is that with DTS-HD MA, it can automatically revert to a lossless mix if hardware won't support it. Whereas with Dolby, you'd have to make two separate Dolby tracks. I bet it's a lot more convenient for studios to use DTS-HD.

I am starting to see increased usage of Dolby for 7.1 audio tracks because I believe Dolby is used for native 7.1 audio tracks in the theater.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion