Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$154.49
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A2 View Post
Okay, I got a microfiber cloth and used it on the Blu-Ray I was trying to clean. It got the marks off perfectly, but the cloth left a ton of little hairs all over the place! What should I do? Go and buy a "lint free" cloth, or just keep wiping with the microfiber until the hairs are gone?

I think my Dad has a cloth he uses for his sunglasses, but it's kinda dirty. Should I use that instead?
You're over thinking this whole process. You don't have to baby these discs. Take the disc and wipe it off with a clean t-shirt.
http://www.bemealittle.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5519652...851207/detail/
Samsung LN46B630, Yamaha RX-V765
Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk Monitor 40's
BIC Acoustec PL-200 Sub
Sony BDP-S570
Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #22

Jul 2011
Norway it is a good idea ! thanks for upstairs

hehe !lately i just wonder how to clean my red laser pointer ,which was brought from tmart.com! i think it is suit for me to clean it by this way! thank you very much !i like this idea!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A2 View Post
Okay, I got a microfiber cloth and used it on the Blu-Ray I was trying to clean. It got the marks off perfectly, but the cloth left a ton of little hairs all over the place! What should I do? Go and buy a "lint free" cloth, or just keep wiping with the microfiber until the hairs are gone?

I think my Dad has a cloth he uses for his sunglasses, but it's kinda dirty. Should I use that instead?
I don't like to use microfiber cloths either because of that same reason! I recommend to use a soft lint free cloth ( as you've stated), and you'll be good to go.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld54 View Post
You're over thinking this whole process. You don't have to baby these discs. Take the disc and wipe it off with a clean t-shirt.
I usually just use the bottom of whatever shirt that I'm wearing at the time. If there are a few specks of dust or tiny cloth fibers still on there afterwards, I just blow on it. That's always worked just fine for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #25

Aug 2008
on the left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
I usually just use the bottom of whatever shirt that I'm wearing at the time. If there are a few specks of dust or tiny cloth fibers still on there afterwards, I just blow on it. That's always worked just fine for me.
This is what I do Joe

If the discs are handled properly you never have to clean them.
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #26

Aug 2010
Chicago

Usually I use a little "ha" (breath) and a wipe on a clean t-shirt. No-no's would be toothpaste, soft-scrub, and car polish.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #27
Expert Member

Aug 2010
SoCal
Wink

I have stayed away from cloth for some time now. Use sunlight, I have noticed spider webbing on Cd's using t-shirts and such. I have 6 pairs of different color sunglasses that come with silk-sock baggie and extras, as the factory is near me.
No spray or solutions, breath has worked with an ever gentle glide of a silk caress.
Followed by a satisfaction cigg.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #28
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Default Cleaning the Blu-ray Disc Surface.

I was wondering how the rest of you clean the playable surface of your blu-ray discs without scratching them.

Occasionally, discs that I order, even new ones, have little specs of lint or markings such as light fingerprints (or they attract such things). How do you clean the surface of the discs without scratching, scuffing or otherwise marring the finish?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #29

May 2011
St. Louis Area

There was a similar discussion in this topic. Let us know if you end up with a favorite method!
‎"Since you are about to die anyway, I may as well tell you the entire plot."
-Benedict, Last Action Hero
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Blu-rays have a scratch resistant coating on them, and they're very easy to clean. I just mix 1/4 of rubbing alcohol and the rest with tap water in a spray bottle and, wipe the disc with a non-abrasive soft cloth, and the disc will look brand new. You don't have to waste money, and buy one of those expensive DVD/CD cleaning solutions, or a DVD/CD cleaning machine kits. You can get a small bottle of rubbing alcohol from any dollar store for a $1.00, if you don't already have a bottle in your household. The only way to scratch a blu-ray, is when it's been cleaned by using a buffing machines or it's been severely mishandled and carelessly abused from negligence.

Last edited by slimdude; 06-26-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Blu-rays have a scratch resistant coating on them, and they're very easy to clean. I just mix 1/4 of rubbing alcohol and the rest with tap water in a spray bottle and, wipe the disc with a non-abrasive soft cloth, and the disc will look brand new. You don't have to waste money, and buy one of those expensive DVD/CD cleaning solutions, or a DVD/CD cleaning machine kits. You can get a small bottle of rubbing alcohol from any dollar store for a $1.00, if you don't already have a bottle in your household. The only to scratch a blu-ray, is when it's been cleaned by using a buffing machines or it's been severely mishandled and carelessly abused from negligence.
I'm surprised by the number of blu-ray discs I receive from new orders that, despite the coating, arrive with scratches and scuffs on them. I'm sure it's partly an issue of quality control at the production facilities the studios use. This seems to occur more often with titles issued from some studios than others.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prox View Post
There was a similar discussion in this topic. Let us know if you end up with a favorite method!
Thanks for the link, Prox. Lots of ways to clean a disc.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
I'm surprised by the number of blu-ray discs I receive from new orders that, despite the coating, arrive with scratches and scuffs on them. I'm sure it's partly an issue of quality control at the production facilities the studios use. This seems to occur more often with titles issued from some studios than others.
Where are you buying your blu-rays from because, there's a possibility they might have been previously opened, manhandled and resealed. I've purchased a lot of brand new blu-rays, and I've never received one that was tarnished, or scratched. Some used blu-rays that I ordered had some fingerprints, but not scratched, but most of my used blu-ray were in mint condition when I received them.

Last edited by slimdude; 06-28-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

All I use is a microfiber cloth if theres any prints on my Blu's.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S5100 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer HTP-071 Surround Sound System.
Xfinity HD.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Would cleaning the blu-ray disc surface with the same cleaning solution and cloth used to clean plasma and LCD screens be safe? Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I just use a microfiber glasses cleaning cloth and some lukewarm water. I usually use a spray bottle filled with water on the finest mist that the bottle can provide and spay the cloth once or twice that's it.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685

Last edited by Canada; 06-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #37
Expert Member

Feb 2008

I've decided to try the type of fine microfiber cloth used for eyeglasses and camera lenses. For fingerprints and smudges that are more set in, I'll try a mild rubbing alcohol-water mix applied with the type of microfiber cloth used to clean screens. I imagine this should keep my discs quite clean.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
Would cleaning the blu-ray disc surface with the same cleaning solution and cloth used to clean plasma and LCD screens be safe? Just a thought.
If you don't have any small children who's always touching the monitor, and leave fingerprints all over it, you shouldn't have to use any solvent to clean it. Since I don't have any kids in my household, I use a feather duster and wipe the dust off of it, every week. The screen doesn't have any oily smudges, or fingerprints because there is nobody here but me.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #39

Jul 2011

Does any one own this Scorch cd/dvd cleaner? I just bought one and was wondering what everyone thought of them? as no one but Krug seemed to have brought it up.

thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

The best solution for optimum results is to pee on the disc and then throw it in the clothes dryer at high heat for 15 minutes.

[Show spoiler]Just Kidding!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology