Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.07
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #581
Special Member

Oct 2008
Tampa- FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
I am a big fan of Nolan's Batman films. I'd call myself a die-hard. I've seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight more times than I can count and I went to see The Dark Knight Rises twice in IMAX and twice in regular theaters. Yup, i'm a nerd, lol. Anyways, here is my opinion. Nolan's movies weren't even Batman movies in my opinion. They were crime sagas with Nolan's versions of Batman characters included.

There is definitely an opportunity here for them to make a version of Batman that is more like the comics. Burton almost hit the nail on the head. The way Gotham looked in his movies were perfect. For some reason though the movies just didn't work that well as a complete movie.

So yeah, I love Nolan's movies. It's my Batman. Those are the three movies that I'll love forever but I'll never swear off a new vision for no reason. They have still yet to make a Batman that completely captures the essence and the characterizations of the comic-book. I'm thinking like Batman Arkham City style. You know who could do it? Darren Aronofsky.
I feel like the BEST example of comic book "feel" is going to be Zach Snyder. I cant wait to see how he does Superman and would LOVE to see his version on Batman. If he could make a Batman like the Watchmen or 300 "feel" it would be EPIC!
Panasonic PDP TC-P60ST60 3D
Sony BDP-S790 3D
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (Playroom)
Sony BDP-S2100
Samsung T260HD 26" (Bedroom)
Sony BDP-S590 3D
Samsung BD-UP5000 (HDDVD/Bluray combo)
Magnavox NB500MG1F (extra player)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #582

Sep 2008
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger89 View Post
And Jack Nicholson will always be the Joker to me. Ledger, unfortunately just didn't convince me.
Talk about having high expectations out of a performance
"He had been sitting on his couch? Holy sh*t look at the size of that guy, Dicky! I want to buy a couch like him!" - Micky Ward [The Fighter]
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #583
Expert Member

Oct 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post
I feel like the BEST example of comic book "feel" is going to be Zach Snyder. I cant wait to see how he does Superman and would LOVE to see his version on Batman. If he could make a Batman like the Watchmen or 300 "feel" it would be EPIC!
I agree. Snyder's Man of Steel should be something special with Nolan and Goyer's writing and Snyder's visual talent. This should be nothing short of amazing.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #584
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I dunno - doesnt there being 3 or 4 or however many versions start to dumb the whole thing down? I personally like having some sort of "cannon" when it comes to this stuff. Imagine LOTR made 2-3 times and in one version, Frodo tosses the ring in without any "corecing"? That changes the entire story and character. Then, in another version something completely different happens., What if a different Star Wars was made where Anakin stayed good or something? I just cant deal with muitlple versions of the same thing with slightly different tones. I suppose a strict comic version may be OK to have for the diehard comic fans but there aint enough comic readers to justify catering to them.

The Nolan Batman stuff is the "right" version for me and always will be. I just dont see how they could top it. Sure, thay can milk more money out of people and thats all good. But, at some point, dont these reboots, remakes, and re-imaginings start to blur togther? How crazy would be to ask a friend or family member someday: "Hey, you want to watch Batman?" which now entails figuring "which" of the 8 versions to watch. Lame, IMO.
Not a solid analogy at all, since LOTR is 3 specific books, and Batman has 60 years of stories.

That's great if Nolan's films are "right" for you, but they certainly aren't the comic book character that's been around for 60 years. They can be easily topped, with more faithful characters and way less plot holes.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #585
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by leey View Post
Talk about having high expectations out of a performance
Ledger's performance was excellent no doubt about that. I just liked Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker more. No harm in that I think.
~
I was crying from my eye teeth and bleeding from my soul
And I sharpened my wits on a dead man's skull
I built an elevator from his bones
Had to climb to the top floor just to stamp out the coals
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #586
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

I still think Ian McDiarmid would make a great Alfred.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #587

Dec 2010

2013 - Man of Steel
2014 - Nothing
2015 - Justice League of America
2016-2017 - Batman Reboot
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #588
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Warsteiner Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger89 View Post
Ledger's performance was excellent no doubt about that. I just liked Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker more. No harm in that I think.
I look at like this....

I see their performances as great in their own respects. Different movies and different approaches and different takes....

At the time, no one but Nicholson could've pulled that portrayal off. He was the best and only choice for the role. With Ledger and the new movie, you needed someone who really jumped into the Joker's skin. Mostly because of Nicholson's performance, up till then, was unrivaled and to compete with it is a bad idea. It was the only way to see the Joker in TDK... Heath had to become the Joker. He couldn't just play the Joker...

If I had to choose, ofcourse I'd pick Ledger because of how the Joker was more like what I wanted to see.
"Don't be stupid, this is way more entertaining than Hollywood's ever gonna be!" - Revy, Black Lagoon

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - TV Show Host, Robocop

What really happened to Farscape!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #589

Sep 2008
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant's Stryder View Post
2013 - Man of Steel
2014 - Nothing
Shouldn't we have an announced director for JLA by now, if that were the case?
"He had been sitting on his couch? Holy sh*t look at the size of that guy, Dicky! I want to buy a couch like him!" - Micky Ward [The Fighter]
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #590
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

I just hope we get Gordon Levitt back he proved himself in my op.
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #591
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leey View Post
Shouldn't we have an announced director for JLA by now, if that were the case?
WB is furiously hunting for one. The 2015 year is pretty firmly set right now for them, so I'm sure we'll hear an announcement before too long.
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell
Letterboxd: pj_campbell
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #592

Dec 2010

Who would you consider the best candidate?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #593
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Not a solid analogy at all, since LOTR is 3 specific books, and Batman has 60 years of stories.

That's great if Nolan's films are "right" for you, but they certainly aren't the comic book character that's been around for 60 years. They can be easily topped, with more faithful characters and way less plot holes.
Its fair for me to admit that I am not a comic reader so the Nolan storyline is "it" for me. I do know that Batty has been around for a while though, Im sure there are a zillion things they could do.

Why not a new TV series based on the comics? Might be the best way to cover lots of material.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #594
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Its fair for me to admit that I am not a comic reader so the Nolan storyline is "it" for me. I do know that Batty has been around for a while though, Im sure there are a zillion things they could do.

Why not a new TV series based on the comics? Might be the best way to cover lots of material.
And to think if the never make another movie crowd got what they wanted after the 89 Batman... We'd have never seen Nolan's work, and maybe in 10 years we get an even more epic take. Point is, trying new takes on a series is worth a shot.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #595

Feb 2012
Canada

I hope this Batman has some style and embraces the comic book world of Batman. Technology is cheaper these days so making a fully realized Gothic-architectural Gotham city is now possible. They really need to bring back the Batman music as well, making Batman movies without it is like making Bond without the iconic music.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #596
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant's Stryder View Post
2013 - Man of Steel
2014 - Nothing
2014 was always supposed to be the Green Lantern sequel, but we know how that turned out.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #597
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
And to think if the never make another movie crowd got what they wanted after the 89 Batman... We'd have never seen Nolan's work, and maybe in 10 years we get an even more epic take. Point is, trying new takes on a series is worth a shot.
It just depends on the timing - they try to reboot the series in 2016 or whatever and the problem will be that Nolan is stuck in the mind of a generation. Yes, people didn't want a new Batman take after Burton did it, but just look how long the gap was before they tried a new approach -- if they leave that long, it'll get a better reception. Problem is, with the Superman and JLA movie coming so soon, I'm not sure they have the time to wait a decade...
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #598
Power Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post

Have you read a Batman comic? Read year one, Last Laugh and the Killing Joke and even The Dark Knight Returns, you can see where Nolan got alot of his material.
TV: Samsung PN50C7000 Plasma
Blu Ray player: OPPO BDP-93
Fronts: Monitor Audio RX8
Center: Monitor Audio RX Center
Surrounds: Monitor Audio RXFX
Sub: Ed A2 - 300
Receiver: Yamaha RX V1900
Amp: Emotiva XPA-3
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #599
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymatt92 View Post
It just depends on the timing - they try to reboot the series in 2016 or whatever and the problem will be that Nolan is stuck in the mind of a generation. Yes, people didn't want a new Batman take after Burton did it, but just look how long the gap was before they tried a new approach -- if they leave that long, it'll get a better reception. Problem is, with the Superman and JLA movie coming so soon, I'm not sure they have the time to wait a decade...
Batman and Robin (97) was only 8 years till Batman Begins (05)... 4-8 year wait seems plenty long to me.

Also Burton to B&R that was a lifetime ago in super hero movie making. As we all know now, its pretty established thanks to what Spider-Man started how to make a decent big budget superhero movie.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #600
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
Batman and Robin (97) was only 8 years till Batman Begins (05)... 4-8 year wait seems plenty long to me.

Also Burton to B&R that was a lifetime ago in super hero movie making. As we all know now, its pretty established thanks to what Spider-Man started how to make a decent big budget superhero movie.
Yeah, but I really don't count Batman and Robin as a Batman film in the same vein as the Burton ones -- for me, it's simply a throw-back to the camp Adam West TV serials. IMO you can't have something that tonally different in the same series. Burton's and Schumacher's Batman films simply don't go together.

And, the whole Spiderman thing to me was a terrible debacle -- you can't reboot a series that close together. That was proven, for me, when The Amazing Spider-Man (although a perfectly good film) simply didn't distinguish itself enough from Raimi's and pretty much travelled the same cinematic path. I liked it a lot, but it simply wasn't different enough to be taken as seriously as when Raimi first introduced his Spiderman in 2002. That's the problem Batman might have -- yes, there's more backstory in the comics that Nolan didn't use, but it was such a huge hit that WB can't ignore the effect it had on a whole generation. Rebooting now would be very problematic for them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies