COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
Dumbo (Blu-ray)
$14.96
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Jungle Book 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #941
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeArSix View Post
I don't care how busy they are, they need to take care of their customer service. With as many internet distributed sub company's there are now, the prices are very competetive and customer service will and should be an aspect looked upon by prospective buyers.

I've still haven't received any responses to my multiple voicemails/emails as of Nov 6. I've moved on and will never buy anything from this company again. I dropped $800 on a sub and now have a 80 lb paperweight to show for it.
Damn sorry for your issues. No contact since Nov 6 (21 freakin days?!?!) must be frustrating.

A friend is looking to update his HT this holiday and was asking for recommendations. I was going to mention the Empires since I also want to spend time with them myself. But I don't want that recommendation to bite my friend in the ass.

As a possible solution if Epik does not get back to you, have you thought of replacing the amp yourself? Or maybe adding an external amp and wiring the driver's through the amp plate's speaker binding posts? Just thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzYme View Post
I called up to find out the deal and spoke with a representative there. She explained a few things for me to clear the air and encouraged me to spread the word:

- Since Elemental Designs went out of business the EPIK business has been booming. So much in fact that they have NEVER been this busy in the history of the company.
- They are struggling to keep up with the demand from a customer standpoint but promise they try to get to every single customer they can.
- They are even working on some new products which will be announced in the near future.

Just thought all the Epik owners would like to know that the company seems to doing great except from a customer relations resource perspective.
I don't know, the comparison btwn Epik and eD seems even more appropriate since eD attributed their CS and quality control issues to increased business. They said they just could not keep up, though I doubt that was the entire story. I hope I am wrong since they seem to have a good line of products (well except maybe for the Legends IMHO).

Last edited by Kali157; 11-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #942
Power Member

Jan 2012

I say BS! So ,let me get this straight,your so busy that you out right ignore your customers emails and phone calls. Business is booming but you can't afford to hire someone just to contact people back? I have a legend,sold it to my brother. I now own a power sound XV15 and couldn't be happier.. Guess what? If you email them,they contact you right away. funny.. Customer service goes a long way and Epik has none!
Onkyo 818
Emotiva XPA-3,UPA-200
Panasonic 60ST50 Plasma
Martin Logan EM ESL's
Martin Logan EM C2 center
Motion 4's for height speakers
Energy Veritis V-S Dipole/Bipole Surrounds
Power Sound XS30
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #943
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

This may not be the best time but If anyone here is interested, I'm putting my Empires up for sale. Here's the link:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...y&thread=27440
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) - Emotiva UPA-1 x3 UPA-2 (Power Amplifiers) - OPPO BDP-103 (Blu-ray Player)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5 (Floor Standing Speakers) - Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 v.5 (Center Speaker) - Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 (Surround Speakers)
Seaton Subnersive HP (Subwoofer) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U (Projector) - Elite Screens (106" Fixed Frame)
Belkin PureAV PF60 - Harmony 1100 (remote)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #944
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Hulk View Post
This may not be the best time but If anyone here is interested, I'm putting my Empires up for sale. Here's the link:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...y&thread=27440
Hey Hulk,

So what are you going to be replacing them with?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #945
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
Hey Hulk,

So what are you going to be replacing them with?
I'm looking for something with a smaller footprint. Something that can compete with the Empires.

The "JL Fathom f113" looks to fit the bill.
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) - Emotiva UPA-1 x3 UPA-2 (Power Amplifiers) - OPPO BDP-103 (Blu-ray Player)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5 (Floor Standing Speakers) - Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 v.5 (Center Speaker) - Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 (Surround Speakers)
Seaton Subnersive HP (Subwoofer) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U (Projector) - Elite Screens (106" Fixed Frame)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #946
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
I'm looking for something with a smaller footprint. Something that can compete with the Empires.

The "JL Fathom f113" looks to fit the bill.
Sweet!

Knowing you it'll be dual F113's.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #947
Power Member

Mar 2009
Far Southside Chicago (Orland Park)

WOW, nice choice. Congrates, remember we want pics when you get them
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #948
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
Sweet!

Knowing you it'll be dual F113's.
You know me all too well sir. But for now one will have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
WOW, nice choice. Congrates, remember we want pics when you get them
Will do.

But first! I must find a buyer for the empires. There are a couple of hopefuls. Cross your fingers for me...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #949
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Well the Empires are sold. I must say, we had a great run. Never let me down once.

Great subs....
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #950
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Quote:
Well the Empires are sold. I must say, we had a great run. Never let me down once.

Great subs....
Wow, that was quick.

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #951
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFattBill View Post
Wow, that was quick.

Bill
Indeed!

Last edited by B.Hulk; 12-09-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #952

Feb 2009

I used to recommend Epik to anyone interested in Hometheater. Now....not so sure. I purchased the "dual Empire" package and can say with confidence that they are truly great subs! In the past, Epik was very responsive to phone calls (not so much Emails) and seemed very engaged and enthusiastic about their subs! Recently, however, I have had difficulty getting in touch with them. Emails have been returned (invalid recipient) and nothing but an answering machine after more than 20 attempts by phone. It's very important to have service after the sale. What good is a warranty if the company is not responsive to the customers needs? If you call HSU, SVS, Rythmic, Power Sound Audio, Outlaw Audio, etc....you actually talk to a human! They return emails. This lack of responsiveness is similar to what I experienced with Elemental Designs, and most recently, Chase Hometheater. Both these companies have called it quits. I hope this is not the case with Epic Subwoofers.

Last edited by Mike7902; 12-15-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #953

Feb 2009

I love that "Karen" posted on this forum (post#171). Makes you think that Epik Subwoofers monitors the forums to get an idea of how the members feel about the company. I remember in the days when Tom V. worked at SVS....he was all over the forums....a warrior for the company! Good or bad, it gave one the impression that the company was engaged with the customer and "marketing" on several fronts. We need to hear more from Karen!!! Now.....it's like Epik Subwoofers has dropped off the planet! You can't get in touch with them. Strangely, I did get in touch with Chad....but I called after hours (10pm) and he picked up the phone. He seemed shocked, wasn't expecting it to be a customer....guess he doesn't have caller id. I am starting to think that Epik is a small operation with Chad wearing many hats! I know for a fact that he stays away from the "forum drama". Has anyone ever seen a post from Chad?

Regarding amp failures....who knows what the fail rate really is....we only hear from the people that report problems. My concern is that if Epik closes it's doors...your are S O L trying to find another plate amp that will fit the cutout. Also, these amps have been tailored by Chad to approximate a "flat" response to 20hz (taking into account room boundary gain, etc.). We could only guess the EQ applied in the lower frequencies....and it is extensive with a sealed alignment.

Customer Service quote:
Quote:
We have never had a single driver failure in the history of our company
This is an important...and deliberate statement! A driver failure (with no CS) would be more difficult to remedy. You would have to replace both drivers, taking into account the parameters of the cabinet...yada yada...a mess!

I have had positive dealings with Chad and Epik. I hope that this is just another one of their "down periods". It is amazing that he can sell such great subs at his price points. The closest competition would be the VTF-MK4 (different alignment/similar output to the Legend) and the PSA XS30...very similar to the Empire). I have compared the Empire and the XS-30 side by side. Almost indistinguishable between the two. Empire was about $300.00 cheaper.

With the (sad) demise of ED and....now Chase Home Theater....the future could be bright for Epik! I am dreaming about a big brother to the Empire with 2 18's......or maybe a completely different alignment like another company that starts with a "D" and ends with a "Y".

Let's hope all is well at Epik....love to see Chad's new designs a little birdi has told me about!

Mike

Last edited by Mike7902; 12-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #954
Power Member

Jan 2012

If my amp or anything failed,I'd just throw it in the garbage and go with a company that cares. Its laughable that your defending them. Even while he's in business you can't get any help. The demise of the other companies doesn't mean its going to be a boon for Epik,they simply couldn't make it in this economy anymore. Also,when you say he's probably wearing many hats, ,hire people then! Hire customer service! There is absolutely no excuse!
Onkyo 818
Emotiva XPA-3,UPA-200
Panasonic 60ST50 Plasma
Martin Logan EM ESL's
Martin Logan EM C2 center
Motion 4's for height speakers
Energy Veritis V-S Dipole/Bipole Surrounds
Power Sound XS30
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #955

Feb 2009

Quote:
If my amp or anything failed,I'd just throw it in the garbage and go with a company that cares.
An amp failure can be dealt with. Driver failures are more complex and costly. Your comment is more appropriate for a driver failure.....and that was my point.

Quote:
Its laughable that your defending them.
There is a difference between "defending" and "bashing". If you re-read my posts, I don't see much defending going on. I "purchased" the dual Empire setup....so I, atleast, have a dog in this hunt.

Quote:
you say he's probably wearing many hats, ,hire people then! Hire customer service! There is absolutely no excuse!
I agree with you....I guess I am just feeling the Christmas spirit.....not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water......yet.

Last edited by Mike7902; 12-17-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #956

Dec 2007

Have you guys noticed that everything over at Epik is sold out?!!!! They have nothing in stock right now. Hmmmm..........
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 Muses modified, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #957

Dec 2009

I know they they told me they were rolling out a ton of Legends because of the sale. I just received my second Empire yesterday so...
Tron Legacy on my HT

Pioneer Elite SC-27 + Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 11 v6
Center: Paradigm CC-390
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor 9 v6
Backs: Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Sub: Dual Epik Empires
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #958
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Have you guys noticed that everything over at Epik is sold out?!!!! They have nothing in stock right now. Hmmmm..........
R.I.P, Epik Subwoofers. R.I.P.
I looked up the phrase 'Getting It Done' in the dictionary and it said, "See Marvel Cinematic Universe 2008-present".
Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #959

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post
R.I.P, Epik Subwoofers. R.I.P.
I can't deny it's suspicious but look at the history in the Blogs...They went through the same shortages last year.
Tron Legacy on my HT

Pioneer Elite SC-27 + Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 11 v6
Center: Paradigm CC-390
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor 9 v6
Backs: Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Sub: Dual Epik Empires
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #960
Special Member

Jan 2012

I just spoke with Chad, Owner of Epik. They are NOT going out of business. They simply underestimated demand in their latest sale and sold out. They are working in getting more inventory, when they do, they will make an announcement that they have more in.

Logistics take time, give Epik a break.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers