COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth to Echo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Terror Train (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Green Mile / Forrest Gump (Blu-ray)
$7.99
TerrorVision / The Video Dead (Blu-ray)
$11.49
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Aug 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Question Optimal output settings for Panasonic DMP-BDT500

Hi Everyone,

So I have what I think is a basic question and didn't see an answer when I searched the forum. I recently upgraded everything in my HT and some of the settings are new to me since I was dealing with rather old equipment before. My new setup consists of the following equipment:

Panasonic TC-P55GT50 - 2012 SmartViera Plasma TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 - 2012 Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-A720 AV Receiver

In the Blu-ray manual, page 11 it says use one of the following connections when connecting to amp/receiver.

HDMI AV OUT MAIN
HDMI AV OUT SUB

Under the HDMI AV OUT SUB section it states that you can enjoy richer sound by using the HDMI AV OUT SUB, however this link is not compatible with the Viera Link "HDAVI Control"

My Receiver supports, 3D, ARC and HDAVI Control and indicates that it should be connected with 1 HDMI cable using the ARC enabled HDMI port.

So which way is the BEST way to connect the DVD Player? HDMI OUT MAIN or HDMI OUT SUB?

Thanks for your advice?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2008

BDT500 (HDMI OUT MAIN) -->RX-A720 AV-->TC-P55GT50

BDT500 Video Settings:

Picture Mode: CINEMA
Picture Adjustment: DEFAULT
Chroma Process: Normal
Detail Clarity: 0
Super Resolution: 0
Progressive: AUTO
HDMI OUTPUT:
Resolution: 1080p
24p Output: ON
Screen Aspect: 16:9

BDT500 Audio Settings:

Sound Effects: OFF
Dialog Enhancer: ON
Dynamic Range Compression: OFF
Digital Audio Output:
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital TrueHD: BITSTREAM
DTS/DTS-HD: BITSTREAM
BD-Video Secondary Audio: OFF
HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT (Main): ON
7.1 ch Audio Reformatting: AUTO
High Clarity Sound: ENABLE
Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Aug 2012
Wake Forest, NC

Thanks for the information. I will review my configuration and let you know if I see any difference.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42

Got my 500 Saturday to replace my 310.At first my rear channels were not playing but after a second hook up it was fine.I don't think it is quite as loud as my 310 when watching a movie but seems to be ok.As for you settings would I use cinema since my VT50 has THX mode?Also having the center channel enhanced might be a bit to much when a T-rex or some other creature gives a loud roar.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
Got my 500 Saturday to replace my 310.At first my rear channels were not playing but after a second hook up it was fine.I don't think it is quite as loud as my 310 when watching a movie but seems to be ok.As for you settings would I use cinema since my VT50 has THX mode?Also having the center channel enhanced might be a bit to much when a T-rex or some other creature gives a loud roar.
During loud, intense action scenes with dialog, the dialog is sometimes drowned out by the loud SFX. If you just turn up the volume control to compensate, you turn up the SFX too. You end up 'riding' the volume control during the whole movie. The dialog enhancer can help prevent that. When set to ON, the dialog is louder and easier to understand in many action films. It also works great for those old 2 channel moves with DD PLxII engaged for surround sound. Often times the PLxII dialog in the center channel is decoded at a lower level from 2.0. Dialog enhancer ON works great for those old gems. The real problem that can occur with dialog enhancer ON is that it can make the dialog sound unnatural and/or too loud especially for dialog driven drama films. You just have to know when and when not to turn it ON. The nice thing is, the remote makes it easy to turn dialog enhancer ON or OFF on the fly. Fortunately the T. rex doesn't speak or talk. Therefore, the dialog enhancer shouldn't be very active when he roars. Besides, his roars are meant to be loud and frightening. The louder the better! That's why we watch JP.

As for THX, none of my audio equipment carries that specification. So, I can't help you on that one. My only comment might would be to agree with you. You may not want dialog enhancer ON if all your equipment is THX spec and you have your system and speakers setup according to the THX spec.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Dec 2012

i think so,Thanks for the information. I will review my configuration and let you know if I see any difference.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players