COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$31.78
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Default "Cirque du Soleil Worlds Away 3D" Blu-ray set for March 12th

I just saw the trailer for it on TV and it looks amazing!!! One day only, 12/21.

TV commercial

Longer trailer

The website is at: http://www.worldsaway3d.com/

It says it incorporates acts from seven of Cirque's Las Vegas shows: Ka, The Beatles' Love, O, Viva Elvis, Zumanity, Chris Angel Believe, and Mystere.

Last edited by bluskies; 02-06-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: fixing header
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2012

Why just one day? I don't get that. My family and I saw the trailer for this one at the Regal. We all want to see it.

Since it is only going to be in theaters for a day , will we see this get a 3D Blu release sooner than later.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
Why just one day? I don't get that. My family and I saw the trailer for this one at the Regal. We all want to see it.

Since it is only going to be in theaters for a day , will we see this get a 3D Blu release sooner than later.
Probably just a Fathom event before it goes to disk (like most of the Cirque concerts).
Like Disney's "Limited time 3D" movies, expect it to be around another week, after "unexpected demand".

As long as it's more concert than narrative: Cirque tried doing a narrative movie before, and it was pretty much.......what you'd expect a Cirque narrative movie would be.

(I'm a Cirque fan--and not one of those people like in the obnoxious Expedia ad, who hear CdS and think they're going to be surrounded by French street mimes--but "Alegria: the Movie" came pretty darn close to that point.)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Dec 2011
Vienna, VA

I love Cirque. Watched many shows in Vegas and the ones that come to my town. Looking forward to see this movie. The 3D trailer on Imax is amazing.
LG 55LW5300 + PS3 + Onkyo 609 + KEF speakers
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGQ View Post
I love Cirque. Watched many shows in Vegas and the ones that come to my town. Looking forward to see this movie. The 3D trailer on Imax is amazing.
so do I !!

I'm purposefully avoiding seeing any footage from commercials/trailers so all the imagery unfolds before my eyes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

I caught the 3D trailer for De Solei before Rise of the Guardians 3D, and this circus like event has very strong 3D, along the lines of Imax 3D's best efforts. Very impressive 3D. One day only?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

both AMC and Regal are listing this as a five day run with some days only having two screenings.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

I am looking forward to seeing this tonight! I just read the review here on blu-ray.com, but it may help to be a major Cirque fan like I am and the fact that these are incorporating from the Las Vegas shows (most of which I have seen) makes it all the sweeter.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
I am looking forward to seeing this tonight! I just read the review here on blu-ray.com, but it may help to be a major Cirque fan like I am and the fact that these are incorporating from the Las Vegas shows (most of which I have seen) makes it all the sweeter.
Trying to convince the family to see this tonight. No takers though.

I hope you enjoy it. Let us know how good the 3D is.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

I - LOVED - IT!!!!!!!!! I want to see it again! And I will...going back two or three times next week.

Yes, I have seen mediocre reviews, but there are couple of requirements to enjoying this movie:

1. You have to LOVE Cirque Du Soleil. Not just "like"...you have to love them.

2. Don't spend even one second trying to analyse the plot. It's about a young woman who is mesmerized with a young male aerialist and she tries to find him again when they are separated. Everything else are sections of different Las Vegas Cirque shows and even in their entirety don't always make sense. If you try to understand why this is here or that is there, you will run out screaming. Turn off your brain and just let your eyes enjoy all the spectacular.

3. It helps a lot to have seen at least a few of these shows in Las Vegas because the movie selects some of the best parts from each.

4. Did I mention you have to LOVE Cirque du Soleil?

I think one or two people did walk out but those who stayed applauded and stayed all the way through the end credits (which were very lengthy because they listed each LV show, each hotel, and each person on the crew of the individual productions).

The film did present some of the best moments from each show, and getting close added to it, giving us devotees a new look at it. And with the battle scene on the rotating steel plate from "Ka", a look from different angles was a blessing.

My favorite Cirque show in Vegas is "The Beatles' Love" and other fans of that production will be very happy. There are about six scenes from it (with Beatles music in the film, too), including "Get Back," "Octopus's Garden," "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and the film ends with a group shot of curtain moments for the different show casts set to "All You Need Is Love."

Cinematography is excellent. And the 3D is spectacular!

Is it just a huge commercial for Cirque du Soleil's Las Vegas shows? Yes. Do I recommend it? Yes! Yes! YES!!!!

Last edited by bluskies; 12-22-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
2. Don't spend even one second trying to analyse the plot. It's about a young woman who is mesmerized with a young male aerialist and she tries to find him again when they are separated. Everything else are sections of different Las Vegas Cirque shows and even in their entirety don't always make sense. If you try to understand why this is here or that is there, you will run out screaming.
I try to avoid any Cirque with narrative plot. (For above-mentioned "Alegria: the Movie" reasons.)

About the closest Cirque can manage for "plot" was their old CBC "Solstrom" series, that had sort of plots about invading Cirque aliens, that was just a wraparound gimmick for 1-hour mini performance shows.
Otherwise, it's already a challenge trying to figure out the "plots" of the individual stage shows. (I love Cirque, but still couldn't figure out what exactly happens in La Nouba--They said something did.)

I'm guessing the movie release was to recoup the costs on the eventual Blu 3D performance disk, but however few months later we get that, I'm in.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I'm guessing the movie release was to recoup the costs on the eventual Blu 3D performance disk, but however few months later we get that, I'm in.
Compare the price of seeing the stage shows to the cost of seeing the movie and that is a good enough reason to justify seeing it again and again.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Power Member

Aug 2012

Glad you enjoyed it Bluskies. Thanks for the detailed review. How long is this going to be in theaters? I heard it was a one night only affair.
My mancave:

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
Glad you enjoyed it Bluskies. Thanks for the detailed review. How long is this going to be in theaters? I heard it was a one night only affair.
That's what I heard, too. But last night, I saw that it appears to be on for one week, but at only a few times each day.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Banned

Dec 2012

Best source of info I've found so far : ) Thanks!Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
That's what I heard, too. But last night, I saw that it appears to be on for one week, but at only a few times each day.
Well thats good. Maybe there is a chance I will see this afterall.
My mancave:

Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
I - LOVED - IT!!!!!!!!! I want to see it again! And I will...going back two or three times next week.

Cinematography is excellent. And the 3D is spectacular!

Is it just a huge commercial for Cirque du Soleil's Las Vegas shows? Yes. Do I recommend it? Yes! Yes! YES!!!!
Yes, the 3D from the trailer looked very strong. Are there a lot of acrobatics and stunts? The trailer gives some hint of this, as though it was the acrobatic section of a circus. I don't know enough about this series yet.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Yes, the 3D from the trailer looked very strong. Are there a lot of acrobatics and stunts? The trailer gives some hint of this, as though it was the acrobatic section of a circus. I don't know enough about this series yet.
Quite a lot, but there is lots more. And also told within a story. For example, I was very happy to see they incorporated a section from the production "Ka", in which there is an aerial love ballet that nearly brought tears to my eyes when I saw it in Las Vegas. (I admit that there is something about straps acts that really gets to me, that desire to fly!)

Here is a picture of it from the movie:

There is one major difference between seeing a number of sequences in the movie and seeing them in the individual Las Vegas theaters. When you see them live, some of the performers will be flying out from the stage above your head in the audience. It takes your breath away, and you also realize the danger in some of the aerial sequences. It also applies in the movie. For example, in both stage and film versions, most performers wear safety wiring that you can see, but in the aerial ballet the young woman is not wearing any and she is held up sometimes just by a tenuous connection to the man, as you can see from the photo. One wrong move and she could fall to her death.

Here is how it is done in Las Vegas:

Last edited by bluskies; 12-23-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Bought the 6 foot by 4 foot poster.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #20

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Bought the 6 foot by 4 foot poster.

Is that a lenticular 3D poster? Sweet! Where did you get it?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies