COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hell On Wheels: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Ranma : Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.08

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Nov 2012
Default Alison Krauss & Robert Plant - Raising Sand FLACs on HD Tracks

Hi everyone

I'm pretty new to this forum and I have a question that someone might be able to help with.

I downloaded Alison Krauss & Robert Plant - Raising Sand 96/24 FLACs from HD Tracks and burned them to DVD-Video using Cirlinca HD Audio Solo Ultra to play on my Sony BDP via HDMI.

I thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison with the CD and was surprised to find that the CD, playing on my 12 year old Rotel sounded way better than the FLACs, particularly the voices which sound hollow on the FLACs. I tried the DVD on my Sony DVD/SACD player with analogue outs and got the same result.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I just wonder if I did something wrong with the burn process. I doubt it though, because the display on my BDP confirms that the audio is 96/24 but I'd be interested to hear of other experiences like this.

For the record, I have a few BD-As and SACDs (Rush's Moving Pictures, Brothers in Arms and Steely Dan's Gaucho among the best of them) and these are head and shoulders above the CDs, so it's not my ears or the hifi!

Thanks.

Last edited by timothyemerson; 11-27-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

Mar 2008
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyemerson View Post
Hi everyone

I'm pretty new to this forum and I have a question that someone might be able to help with.

I downloaded Alison Krauss & Robert Plant - Raising Sand 96/24 FLACs from HD Tracks and burned them to DVD-Video using Cirlinca HD Audio Solo Ultra to play on my Sony BDP via HDMI.

I thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison with the CD and was surprised to find that the CD, playing on my 12 year old Rotel sounded way better than the FLACs, particularly the voices which sound hollow on the FLACs. I tried the DVD on my Sony DVD/SACD player with analogue outs and got the same result.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I just wonder if I did something wrong with the burn process. I doubt it though, because the display on my BDP confirms that the audio is 96/24 but I'd be interested to hear of other experiences like this.

For the record, I have a few BD-As and SACDs (Rush's Moving Pictures, Brothers in Arms and Steely Dan's Gaucho among the best of them) and these are head and shoulders above the CDs, so it's not my ears or the hifi!

Thanks.
Did you try to play both discs in the Sony DVD/SACD using the same output?
Or two of your players using digital output.
(to make sure you're not comparing apples and oranges)

Did you use analog out on the Rotel? Despite it's age, maybe the Rotel's D/A /analog output section is too good and gives the CD an unfair advantage?

Or maybe the CD was done using a better/different master than the 24/96FLAC.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Nov 2012

Yeah, I thought it might come down to the mastering but I'm not sure why whoever mastered it would do different jobs on the CD and the FLACs.

This might help explain why the Raising Sand FLACs sound so poor compared to SACD and BDA on my hifi too.

It's very weird anyway. Thanks for the response though. I'd be interested if anyone else has experienced high res audio sounding worse than CD.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

I don't have the cd anymore, but I remember being impressed with how much better the (arguably over the top) drums and bass sounded on the 24/96 flacs vs the lossless rips. I ended up just deleting them in interest of HD space.

For whatever that is worth.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Nov 2012

Thanks Rock, Stone. Yeah, it's a bass-heavy production that's for sure (par for the course with T-Bone too)!

In some areas, the FLACs have clearer guitar tones and a sharper high end but it's the voices that don't seem to have any depth. On some of the songs where Alison is singing back-up, her voice just seems to get lost on the FLACs but it's clear on the CD. I wonder if it's something to do with the burning process? Any audio engineers care to chime in?

I've only had limited experience with 24/96 FLACs, so I was a bit disappointed to find the CD to be superior in this instance, especially after having already been exposed to BDA (also 24/96 but for whatever reason, sounding way better than FLAC) and SACD.

Can anyone recommend any FLACs on HD Tracks that bury their CD counterparts? I need convincing (like Foxy Mulder, I want to believe!).

Thanks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music