COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Monsieur Verdoux (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
High School Confidential (Blu-ray)
$18.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #301
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Blu-ray can definitely get better. However, there's only SO MUCH you can do with a camera negative, or a digital file... 35mm film tops out at the equivalent of 6K (and IMAX.70mm at 8K), but that also depends on the film stock and condition of the negative. And early digital films, like Star Wars Ep 2 & 3 top out at 1080p, what Blu-ray is now. So yes, blu-ray will be replaced by superior technology, but they can only go so far.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #302
Power Member

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
First off, I'd be very curious to see how many of the titles in my current collection ever are released in 4K... in any form. Two maybe? I'd probably be willing to double dip on it because I'm betting the amount of 4K re-releases will be a small amount. Granted, my collection is less than 100 films.
I was thinking the same thing. As lazy as many 1080p catalog transfers have been, I can't imagine they'll suddenly want to put in even more time and monetary investment towards an even more niche format. I'd imagine the cult distros like Synapse would try to get the very best out of a 4k scan for only a few units sold, but I'm not sure we'll get that same love from the majors. Just doesn't seem like it'll be a big turnover for them. But new releases, I'm sure would look and sound pretty nice all max'd out in a/v bits.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #303

Sep 2012
Cary, NC

When DVD came out I thought it couldn't get any better than that (such a big step forward from VHS) and stockpiled a bunch of movies on the format. And then Blu-Ray and HD-DVD came out and now I think it can't get better than that, but I'm lying to myself. The 4K revolution in a few years will make Blu-Ray pale in comparison just like Blu did with DVD. I didn't want to upgrade my DVDs but I have with some of my favorites and I'm starting to with others. It's just a big cycle we are in.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #304
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Technology moves forward,it always has and always will,quicker than most would want or wish for but that's the way it is.
I am thirty seven I am positive that I may see more than one more change in the home entertainment area in my lifetime.
I love Blu-ray and I will enjoy it for many years to come but like I say I am sure the time will come when something else becomes available.
Who Know's maybe something will happen that will bypass this 4k tech and something else,something new and unexpected will become the norm.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #305
Power Member

Dec 2011

I have collected movies since I was a teenager starting back when mom & pop video stores were still around and a new VHS tape would cost you $100 bucks lol! I was the first person I knew to make the jump to DVD & the same with blu-ray. In all honesty I believe blu-ray is the last physical media format for home collections. I can see something akin to 4K or the likes trying to get a foot hold in the industry, but I doubt it will take hold. Personally I will NEVER pay for something that is not tangible when it comes to my movie collection so as far as digital goes if that's the next step, I'm out! I will collect blu's and enjoy them as long as possible.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #306

Nov 2012

If a downloadable format allows studios to release content they wouldn't have pressed to disc I'm all for it. Options are good.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #307
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

Sitting in my film class now. My professor is actually talking about this topic now. He feels that digital streaming will cause home video to phase out. I honestly agree with him. If 4K were to become the new standard I really think it will have a niche audience like the laserdisc.
"If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield

Summer Movie Hitlist: Chef, Get On Up, Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Transformers: Age of Extinction
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #308
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post
Sitting in my film class now. My professor is actually talking about this topic now. He feels that digital streaming will cause home video to phase out. I honestly agree with him. If 4K were to become the new standard I really think it will have a niche audience like the laserdisc.
if home video is phased out, I'm done paying for media, tangible media is the only media worth paying for. and most people in modern society agree, why do you think pay per view and Vudu hasn't just TORN off? people don't find VALUE in streaming. its great for $8 a month on netflix or amazon prime, but actually ponying up dough to OWN or do a high priced rental??? sorry not happening.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #309
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
-

It will never phaze out, because people buy ,movies cuz they like the excitement of buying.
Not because it's easier. Everyone knows Netflix is easier and still we buy films. As long as the hoader in all of us still lives, we will buy physical media.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #310
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

I don't know. Riding the bus last weekend for thanksgiving, I am seeing more and more people watching movies on their tablets and phones. I don't think hv will ever be completely gone, but just like with books, the greater majority are going to start looking at the more convient medium.
"If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield

Summer Movie Hitlist: Chef, Get On Up, Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Transformers: Age of Extinction
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #311

Jul 2012
SE Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
if home video is phased out, I'm done paying for media, tangible media is the only media worth paying for. and most people in modern society agree, why do you think pay per view and Vudu hasn't just TORN off? people don't find VALUE in streaming. its great for $8 a month on netflix or amazon prime, but actually ponying up dough to OWN or do a high priced rental??? sorry not happening.
This.

Plus, If a majotirty of media sales went to streaming, how much more bandwidth would internet providers need to have and maintain, and how much more would they charge customers because we used so much more of it?

And as media storage goes, what happens when we use our HD's so much that they die, and we lose all that we've DL's or paid for?

People want tangible goods for their money. Sure, Netflix is popular, but how popular will they be when physical media is gone, and to make thier profits on new releases, studios charge $10-20 above the $8 a mointh Netflix fee for their new releaes?

They want my $$$, give me discs.
Oh, the horror!
http://thehorrorclub.blogspot.com/

Blu-ray Wishlist:
- Salem's Lot (1979), Suspiria (1977), Spartan (2004), It (1990), Cemetery Man (1994), Nighthawks (1981), The Hitcher (1986).
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #312

May 2010
Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
so in the near future 20 Terabytes will be normal for us??? cuz that's what it would take to back up my movie collection (give or take a terabyte or so and that's based off of nice 10 gig compressed files not just full filesizes), that's WITHOUT backing up (where'd I need about 36-40 terabytes) and that's just my movie collection NOW , not what it will have increased to in the future. and 4K.... filesizes will quadruple, maybe only double if HEVC works as they say it is.

and as for needing backups, yes I did backup, unfortunately one time BOTH hard drives failed (amazing what lightning will do), but the point is with physical media it's almost impossible to lose your media unless you break a disc or something, hard drives have an ENORMOUS failure rate in comparison. I find it HYSTERICAL how "media is dying" , not even close, every year digital is having MORE and MORE roadblocks, bandwidth is becoming tighter and tighter with more and more net restrictions. look at Canada and Mexico and other non - U.S. countries like Australia. U.S. is having problems with bandwidth but right now even NETFLIX ...crappy , compressed netflix is causing them massive problems with going over their bandwidth caps, and Netflix isn't even 1080p!! so if our future is streaming, count me out, the studios won't see me pay for media again.

and right there we have a flaw with digital. if we need to double our hard drive space just to "back it up" then we already have a flaw right there... the worry of constant data failure... needing to backup shouldn't be standard... it should be considered a flaw.
I couldn't agree more. You made a lot of great points. We in Canada have ridiculously low bandwidth caps that start at like 20gb and each time you increase the cap your also paying double. I have a 200gb cap (6 people in the household using the Internet 24/7) and that's still not enough. If we use the Internet for everyday tasks and watch a few HD netflix movies that's the 200gb already. Streaming will always be an option but it will never be the only way I watch movies.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #313
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

I remember 8-10 years ago people were saying 1080p was not necessary and that included Joe Kane if I am not mistaken. Just like Blu-ray was over DVD, increased resolution will be just one of MANY benefits in terms of PQ with 4K. If OLED becomes the second coming as promised, then this will be apparent even on 60" displays - and for people with projectors, it will be almost a must have. However, I don't believe we will see all of the catalog titles released on BD as some of them never sold very well and I doubt studios will spend the money on such even if it's for a niche market, but I could be wrong. But, yes, bring 4K on in a reasonable affordable physical media manner and I will just keep the BDs I have until the 4K version is released or if it ever is released.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #314
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurayFreak View Post
I couldn't agree more. You made a lot of great points. We in Canada have ridiculously low bandwidth caps that start at like 20gb and each time you increase the cap your also paying double. I have a 200gb cap (6 people in the household using the Internet 24/7) and that's still not enough. If we use the Internet for everyday tasks and watch a few HD netflix movies that's the 200gb already. Streaming will always be an option but it will never be the only way I watch movies.
Gotta go with TekSavvy
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #315

Oct 2009
DC

When 4K comes around, hells yeah I'm replacing my 600+ collection. Only the best.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #316

Mar 2011

I'll buy new release titles if 4k ever becomes available.

I think new movies in 48 fps is going to be a bigger factor to me. Especially in 3D. 24fps vs 48 fps is like night and day to me.

Though I have my doubts that 4k physical media will ever become available to purchase. And if it does it will be laserdisc all over again. 4k will never go mass market.

The prices on blu-rays has fallen to fast for the studios to make a profit on 4k. Plus catalog titles are not selling on blu-ray. And I don't see them spending the money to make new 4k scans of everything anytime soon.

I doubt I'll buy titles I already own on blu-ray, except 3D. I just don't think there will be too much of a improvement on anything over 120 inches for the average consumer.

I went and saw Casablanca in 4k and I didn't think it looked any better then watching the new Blu-ray at home. Yeah I can't blow up the blu-ray and put on a 60 foot screen but it can hold it's own on a 10 foot screen.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #317
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->118 UV-------->247

I posted the following on page 2, but I figured it was time to post it again.

I will replace certain titles with 4K if a physical format does come to fruition. However, those titles must meet the following criteria:

1) A new master must be used.
2) The elements used (interpositive, negative, etc.) must be restored if it is needed.
2) If a film was shot in 35mm or less then I expect nothing less than a 4K scan for the remastering process.
3) If a film was shot in 65/70mm then I expect nothing less than a 8K scan for the remastering process.
4) It has to be a title that I am willing to potentially double, triple, or maybe even quadruple dip on.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #318
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I remember 8-10 years ago people were saying 1080p was not necessary ...
And they were absolutely right, weren't they?

Most people are entirely content with DVD. That's why DVD continues to outsell Blu-ray in significant numbers.

We are at the point of diminishing returns in the appeal of increasing resolution. Yes, SOME people do care. I care. But most people don't care. And that means the commercial appeal of 4k media will likely be very small.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #319

Mar 2012

+1 for not replacing, at what age will we lose interest in watch the blus we have. if i was 20y/o i could see upgrading, but i'm not.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #320
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx_6r View Post
+1 for not replacing, at what age will we lose interest in watch the blus we have. if i was 20y/o i could see upgrading, but i'm not.
I'm no spring chicken either, but ill never be too old to lose interest in my library of films.......unless I go blind. Then I'd get a Braille screen
As for upgrading again, well that's a different story once we get to a certain age. Like you, if I was in my 20's I can see investing again, but now.....only new releases once (if) we see a new physical format in the semi near future. Otherwise, even with a big screen, blus in 1080p is good enough at this time of my life.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America