Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #61
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I checked out the Sony 4K at the beginning of the year. I must say I was impressed. I have it on my short list for a replacement next year. I must say I'm leaning towards the new JVC with E-shift 2 and 130,000:1 Native contrast. That thing was stella at half the price.

Ta Dono
I am pretty stoked about seeing it. Ever since I read Art's review over at Projectorreviews I have become more and more curious as to how it really performs. Unfortunately, I doubt that a JVC with E-shift 2 will be on hand for a comparison. I am also curious to see how any of the demo 4K content is fed to it. I wish I could feed it the 330 GB 4K Cineform file of TimeScapes by Tom Lowe! As of now, I think that is the only consumer available content you can get your mitts on.

http://www.timescapes.org/products/

I'm a little apprehensive with early adoption. The ITU-R finalized the Rec 2020 color gamut and spec for UHDTV several months ago and I'm eagerly awaiting to see if any future 4K Blu-Ray content will adopt that wider color gamut before jumping on the 4K band wagon as well. Ultimately, increased pixel density isn't enough to sell me on it if we will still only have access 8 bit Rec 709 content.

Check it out:

Rec 2020 vs Rec 709

Now that has me excited!

In the mean time I think your right about the JVC for the win.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

Last edited by Flatnate; 11-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #62
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Might have a chance to check out the 4k Sony VPL-VW1000 in two weeks. I'll post my impressions later. Did anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask if a Sony rep is around about the thing?
I've had the chance to view it a few times and it's one of the best images that I've seen...Seriously, you'll be impressed.

Then you'll think of ways to come up with the $18K

I always told myself that I'll be in for true 4K tech once it's below $10K. I actually bought the RS55 (E Shift) model from JVC and so far it's been amazing. I'm interested in seeing what E Shift2 will look on the models that should be released soon.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #63
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Check it out:

Rec 2020 vs Rec 709

Now that has me excited!
That's even a bit better than Technicolor RGB 25/58/47 separation filters and the original NTSC coordinates
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post
I've had the chance to view it a few times and it's one of the best images that I've seen...Seriously, you'll be impressed.

Then you'll think of ways to come up with the $18K

I always told myself that I'll be in for true 4K tech once it's below $10K. I actually bought the RS55 (E Shift) model from JVC and so far it's been amazing. I'm interested in seeing what E Shift2 will look on the models that should be released soon.
That's the JVC that I viewed. I was really impressed. I also viewed this and the Sony one week apart. On blu I couldn't notice a difference. The Sony demoed the Spider trailer of a mainframe at 4k. I could see about a 5% better difference on that.

I think the JVC's are a good alternative at a better price.

I also came to a conclusion when I looked at the Sony 4k that it wouldn't be better than the JVC unless the screen was larger than 150".

I couldn't fit that in my room.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #65
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:

I'm a little apprehensive with early adoption. The ITU-R finalized the Rec 2020 color gamut and spec for UHDTV several months ago and I'm eagerly awaiting to see if any future 4K Blu-Ray content will adopt that wider color gamut before jumping on the 4K band wagon as well. Ultimately, increased pixel density isn't enough to sell me on it if we will still only have access 8 bit Rec 709 content.

Check it out:

Rec 2020 vs Rec 709

Now that has me excited!

In the mean time I think your right about the JVC for the win.
Wow! That is pretty sweet they are adopting that wide of a color spectrum as a standard. Although I'm pretty doubtful it will be featured on Blu-ray, let alone 4K bluray, especially if it means we'll need 12-bit color, and that is actually a lot of data. Also, unless if I'm mistaken, wouldn't that Timescape movie still use 8-bit color?

Please make a digital download client for 4K, movies, or at least Steam release 4K movies.

Edit: Forgot about Vudu, just would be nice if there is a site that focuses on full, uncompressed video.
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)

Last edited by Trogdor2010; 11-28-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #66
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

nice, I'll pass though till we can get them for under $2k
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
nice, I'll pass though till we can get them for under $2k
Get ready to wait a loooooooooooooooooooong time.

Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #68
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
Wow! That is pretty sweet they are adopting that wide of a color spectrum as a standard. Although I'm pretty doubtful it will be featured on Blu-ray, let alone 4K bluray, especially if it means we'll need 12-bit color, and that is actually a lot of data. Also, unless if I'm mistaken, wouldn't that Timescape movie still use 8-bit color?

Please make a digital download client for 4K, movies, or at least Steam release 4K movies.

Edit: Forgot about Vudu, just would be nice if there is a site that focuses on full, uncompressed video.
Well I'm hoping they adopt the Rec 2020 standard for UHDTV (4K) Blu-Ray as it is my understating that the ITU-R built that in to the new UHDTV spec. It seems short sighted to just ignore what the International Telecom Union settled on. But who knows the ITU-R and the Blu-Ray Disc Association are totally separate organizations with different variables at play. The ITU-R is more focused on setting a set broadcast standard, so that may have no bearing on what winds up on disc. So fingers crossed, as that seems like the holy grail right there.

You know Timescapes has two 4K versions available for purchase. The $100 dollar version is a USB stick shipped with a 31 Gig mp4 with a bit rate of 80 Mbits. I'm not sure if that is 8 bit color or what. BUT, then there is the 12 bit 330 Gig 4K Cineform file that ships to you on its own hard drive for $300! If I win that Powerball tomorrow then I'm buying either the Sony or the 4K Sim2/Christie and sending off for that Timescapes hard drive lol.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

Last edited by Flatnate; 11-28-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #69
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Get ready to wait a loooooooooooooooooooong time.

Dono
exactly, Until they're inexpensive and mainstream there's no reason for me to even care about them.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #70
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

No powerball for me = No 4K for Nate, Dang.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #71
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

My only reservation on the Sony 4k is it's dynamic Iris. Some reviewers have measured the native contrast of the Sony 4k at only 10,000:1. When compared to the JVC's that is not great. Wouldn't want to outlay the $$ and notice the Iris.

Ta Dono
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #72
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

Quote:
My only reservation on the Sony 4k is it's dynamic Iris. Some reviewers have measured the native contrast of the Sony 4k at only 10,000:1. When compared to the JVC's that is not great. Wouldn't want to outlay the $$ and notice the Iris.

Ta Dono
I did not notice the iris during my viewing and I'm very anal when it comes to that.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #73
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

I'll definitely be looking for the iris when I see it in person. I'm not sure if it will be tougher to make out coming from a JVC product myself or not.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #74
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post
I did not notice the iris during my viewing and I'm very anal when it comes to that.
Quote:
I'll definitely be looking for the iris when I see it in person. I'm not sure if it will be tougher to make out coming from a JVC product myself or not.
I just wish there wasn't one. No matter what the projector is cheating.

Ta Dono
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:
I just wish there wasn't one. No matter what the projector is cheating.

Ta Dono
There isn't anything wrong with it having an automatic iris, as long as you can turn it off. If you don't notice the light "pulsing", it can be an improvement. But yeah, having it on that high end of a projector is kind of counter productive.
HTPC/gaming rig
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #76
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Just got back from the demo, so I figure I should put my thoughts down on here before I begin to forget stuff!

First off wow, it is a suhweet projector... and it better be for that kind of money. Great colors, great shadow detail, I would say the black levels easily rivaled my JVC (probably better being my room isn't that dark and kinda sucks) and I never once was able to catch the dynamic iris at work. I tried to spot it but I just couldn't do it. I put my nose practically on the screen and you can't really make out pixels at any distance. You could sit two feet away if that was your cup of tea. Physically its a tank, but has better lines than a clunkier and pricier Runco three-chip DLP unit. Upscaling 1080p content was good, I never saw any weird artifacts like you could sometimes make out when up-scaling DVD to 1080p on stuff a few years ago. Overall, Blu-Ray was just a little softer than 4K native content.

One thing I learned was that it probably would work with any consumer anamorphic lens. I was originally under the impression that you would need a 1.25:1 lens stretch (vs the standard consumer 1.33x stretch) with it due to its DCinema chip size. However the rep told me that for UHD content of 3840x2160 that it essentially does not use the entire imaging panel so I would assume that means 2.35:1 Blu-Ray anamorphically stretched for a standard lens would work fine. So that is way cool!

However once seeing its zoom/lens memory shift at work you would have a tough time selling the benefits of the a 10k lens. You just already have so much resolution at your disposal that I'm not sure the small increase in brightness versus zooming; as well as the nearly impercievable increase in pixel density could justify any of the possible negative artifacts that the lens might introduce. For similar money, I would probably take this projector over a top end JVC 1080p model and an ISCO lens.

The rep said it would work with the upcoming REDRAY player, as well as any future 4K Blu-Ray standard. When queried about his thoughts on 4K Blu-Ray he was guessing that it comes in about 18 months, and probably with 8 bit color too (bummer... hope he is wrong on that. I want to see 10bit color and Rec 2020 colorimetry). Meanwhile, if you buy a Sony 4K display Sony will essentially lend you a server (which isn't yours mind you) with some good stuff loaded on it.

Okay so here is where the rubber hits the road. In short, I think you need to use this thing with a monster screen to get the full benefit. Either that or move your seating closer than the traditional SMPTE guidelines, closer perhaps than the current THX guidelines. Screen was about 120 inches diagonal and scope dimensions. I was about thirteen feet away... guess I need new glasses. With standard up-scaled Blu-Ray the difference was noticeable but not an improvement to where I would run out the door and sell my JVC and car to get one! The true 4K stuff really shined, you could clearly make out the increased definition. In fact it was so good that you could actually make out some of what appeared to be digital noise that exists on the 4K Tom Lowe Timescapes documentary (not sure if it was from the camera, compression, or what there). Either way no visible pixel structure at pretty much any viewing distance is cool. Can't wait for this tech to drop in price.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #77
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Hey Thanks for telling us about the demo Nate! I'd figured the projector to be a winner!
Quote:

One thing I learned was that it probably would work with any consumer anamorphic lens. I was originally under the impression that you would need a 1.25:1 lens stretch (vs the standard consumer 1.33x stretch) with it due to its DCinema chip size. However the rep told me that for UHD content of 3840x2160 that it essentially does not use the entire imaging panel so I would assume that means 2.35:1 Blu-Ray anamorphically stretched for a standard lens would work fine. So that is way cool!

However once seeing its zoom/lens memory shift at work you would have a tough time selling the benefits of the a 10k lens. You just already have so much resolution at your disposal that I'm not sure the small increase in brightness versus zooming; as well as the nearly impercievable increase in pixel density could justify any of the possible negative artifacts that the lens might introduce. For similar money, I would probably take this projector over a top end JVC 1080p model and an ISCO lens.
I'd figured it could simply use the 3840x2160 section to stretch the content for a normal 1.33x HE Lens. An ISCO lens was a tough sell anyway, but I'm still surprised they haven't made a 5160x2160 (2.39:1) "scope" chip with internal mechanical lens masking to block light, which I still believe would be the best way to. I'm still annoyed about that. Still, going "Zoom" is still great for most people, especially with many of today's projectors that can be both bright and deep blacks.

Quote:
The rep said it would work with the upcoming REDRAY player, as well as any future 4K Blu-Ray standard. When queried about his thoughts on 4K Blu-Ray he was guessing that it comes in about 18 months, and probably with 8 bit color too (bummer... hope he is wrong on that. I want to see 10bit color and Rec 2020 colorimetry). Meanwhile, if you buy a Sony 4K display Sony will essentially lend you a server (which isn't yours mind you) with some good stuff loaded on it.

Okay so here is where the rubber hits the road. In short, I think you need to use this thing with a monster screen to get the full benefit. Either that or move your seating closer than the traditional SMPTE guidelines, closer perhaps than the current THX guidelines. Screen was about 120 inches diagonal and scope dimensions. I was about thirteen feet away... guess I need new glasses. With standard up-scaled Blu-Ray the difference was noticeable but not an improvement to where I would run out the door and sell my JVC and car to get one! The true 4K stuff really shined, you could clearly make out the increased definition. In fact it was so good that you could actually make out some of what appeared to be digital noise that exists on the 4K Tom Lowe Timescapes documentary (not sure if it was from the camera, compression, or what there). Either way no visible pixel structure at pretty much any viewing distance is cool. Can't wait for this tech to drop in price.
Sony could easily make an expansion box for it to be used with most modern graphics cards with DVI and DisplayPort. These high end companies should be supporting Displayport or even DVI rather than HDMI if they are really going slow on support for 4K and 3D. It's more than possible to have both 4K and 3D at 60Hz content from modern computers (although it needs to be really powerful, but still, if you pay that kind of cash on the projector, why should making a powerful computer be a problem?).
HTPC/gaming rig
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #78
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Nate,

Thanks for your report / impressions. Some are very similar to what I thought. I don't get into the tech side of things too much and some of the stuff they told me went over my head. However I was impressed with the build, Lens and decent Lamp. Did it blow things out of the water for me. No.

I am more amped about the JVC E-Shift. Really thinking of pulling the trigger on that this year. I think it is a realistic mid point between 1080P and 4K.

One thing that is bugging me tho. Peter Jacksons HFR (High Frame Rate). What are these projectors going to do with that????

So part of me is thinking. Wait. See what happens.

Ta Dono
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #79
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Side Note#

Trogdor Just checked out your Gallery. You have some mad engineering skills. Well done. 10/10.

Ta Dono
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #80
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Nate,

Thanks for your report / impressions. Some are very similar to what I thought. I don't get into the tech side of things too much and some of the stuff they told me went over my head. However I was impressed with the build, Lens and decent Lamp. Did it blow things out of the water for me. No.

I am more amped about the JVC E-Shift. Really thinking of pulling the trigger on that this year. I think it is a realistic mid point between 1080P and 4K.

One thing that is bugging me tho. Peter Jacksons HFR (High Frame Rate). What are these projectors going to do with that????

So part of me is thinking. Wait. See what happens.

Ta Dono
I think with 1080p Blu-Ray being the standard for a few years, that this is probably the smart move.

I'd really like to poke my nose up against a screen with JVC E-shift for a close look now. I mean I was most impressed by the Sony when my nose was practically on the screen.

I've posted that "screen size versus viewing distance chart" on the forums before and some folks poo poo that thing but it mostly holds true. My eyes just are not THAT good that at a THX viewing distance that any of this stuff becomes "night and day". It was pretty much what I expected in that regard. And I wasn't kidding in that I probably do need new glasses.

You know the high frame rate stuff is a real head scratcher, and I never thought to ask the rep about it. 3D is not my forte. I think a lot of this hinges on both the Blu-Ray Disc Association and any final 4k Blu-Ray spec and if HDMI can even do 48fps in 3d?.... I'm not sure it can? I dunno, I'll look in to that.

Trogdor is right in that this caliber of projector is so good it would make sense to outfit it with DisplayPort or something other than just HDMI. Not just for gamers but folks doing Photoshop work, video editing, disc authoring etc.

If I had won the Powerball, I still think my wife may have slapped me for buying it at that price over the JVC. She tagged along and thought it was neat but rolled her eyes at the price tag.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors