COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Blue Ruin (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Drive Hard (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #1461
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
Sorry, but I'm not spitting in the face of anyone. If you want to pay more that's fine and if you think that it's supporting Australians then that's fine also but that's neglecting the other circumstances. These (for the most part) are international studios. Not only do profit margins go back to them but any residuals here in Australia are linked to big companies like Woolworths and Coles Myer and they are anything but Australian.

As for prices, well there are price disparities everywhere. Some are massive, others not so much. Go to China and you can get a 600ml Coke for $0.20, KFC is around the same price but a box of breakfast cereal will set you back $25. Things cost different amounts in different places for a variety of reasons. It doesn't mean we should be forced to pay what's being asked here in Australia and it doesn't mean what's being asked in Australia is necessarily dependent on our wages. Facts have shown that cost of living for staples such as groceries and utilities have increased significantly within the past 5 years however wages have not risen in line - they've actually increased on average by about half the amount.

Regarding your "measly $5-$10", well that might be disposable for you but to some that makes a big difference. Buy a couple of films a week (or more) and that makes a big difference - that's child care fees for a day, dinner for the family one night of the week or travel costs to and from work for a day or two. It all adds up...

This whole "we should support Australian stores because we're Australian" thing is quite frankly a load of crap. Australian retailers have tried to play that card far too many times and it's been squandered. Australian stores continue to be uncompetitive in a market that's been changing its business model significantly over the past 15 or so years. While overseas retailers minimise costs and increase their reach Australian retailers are still trying to push a business model from the 80's. They're still hoping that people won't import for a multitude of reasons and basically banking on people thinking buying locally is convenient. Even when they've tried (e.g. JB's web site) all you ever hear is how everyone's had bad experiences with shipping times and quality of service so the outcome is that consumer confidence is damaged and they resort to the old ways. It plain doesn't work and anyone paying extra is kidding themselves if they think it goes to supporting Australians in work. I've worked in welfare and human services roles for most of my life and I can tell you right now that 99% of businesses are more focused on making a dollar than supporting Australian workers. It's only done when convenient and not as a rule to live by. The ones most concerned with local conditions and staff are generally smaller businesses that have direct links to the community. These guys need your support to survive and they support the local community in turn. In this case the film studios are not those types of businesses. They're the big guys competing AGAINST those businesses.

I support Australian when and if I can but I won't hand over a bunch of $$$ when it serves no purpose other than to pad large retailer's and big studio's profit margins. There are two sections of the business community always crying poor: banks and retailers. Guess who continually turn big profits? Yep, they're doing just fine. The problem is the $ don't always flow to where they may be needed and no amount of purchasing local solves that issue when the people at the top running the company are either not Australian or answer to people outside of Australia. It's then a global interest and takes on a completely different approach.

Besides, with all due respect I find that a lot of people saying we should buy locally often are willing to overlook a number of things like the fact that the labels on your clothing say "made in China", just as it is likely the phone in your pocket does. Everyone has levels at which they draw the line between affordability and sustainability. Because you draw the line at one point does not mean you are better or worse than anybody else, any more of less Australian or taking advantage of people. It's wonderful that your wage clearly affords you the ability to purchase in such a manner however simply because you find yourself in that position does not mean others are. Seeing as though Aussies love to proclaim the right to a fair go shouldn't that be the means to find goods, services, education and health care etc at the best possible price and best quality wherever it may be available without fear of being judged as basically being un-Australian if the best deal happens to not be on our shores?

Anywho, enough on that...
I think you may have taken what I said a little out of context. I agree that you have made some valid points (of which I don't necessarily agree with all, but I won't get into that ), however I was more referring to Australian jobs. By purchasing movies for example from Australian retailers, it is not only supporting the international studios, it is also supporting the retailers that employ Australian people. Although the big retailers are not exactly poor as you've stated, they do still employ Australian people and if those jobs were not there it would still have a significant impact on those people and the economy.

You may wholeheartedly believe that it makes no difference where we spend our money, due to the reasons you have stated above, such as the money all going overseas anyway, and that's fine, however I think that's a little naive to think that it doesn't have a positive effect on the Australian economy.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #1462

Jul 2011
Perth Australia

The JB site is currently taking 20% off, I've not heard anything about a sale has anyone else?
@Melmoy77
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #1463
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
The JB site is currently taking 20% off, I've not heard anything about a sale has anyone else?
Thanks for that. I just bought The Friends collection for $116 for the fiancee, which I selected to pick up in store tomorrow. It's a good example of another great local new release deal on offer, which trumps both Amazon U.S and UK, even before the discount was applied.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #1464

Jul 2011
Perth Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Thanks for that. I just bought The Friends collection for $116 for the fiancee, which I selected to pick up in store tomorrow. It's a good example of another great local new release deal on offer, which trumps both Amazon U.S and UK, even before the discount was applied.
Funny so did I Chrissy present for my brother, I did a pickup order to avoid postage damage.
@Melmoy77
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #1465
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Australia

I suppose I'll order My Neighbour Totoro, or I could be waiting anywhere for up to a year until Madman does a temporary price cut.

My cousin would be thrilled to get her 1-year old into it, as she loves the character.

It's also a childhood favourite of mine.

Wasn't expecting another 20% sale so soon, there was one just 2 weeks ago!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #1466

Jul 2011
Perth Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
I'm not convinced it's not a website glitch I've not seen any advertising for it and there's no mention on their facebook or twitter
@Melmoy77
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #1467
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
I suppose I'll order My Neighbour Totoro, or I could be waiting anywhere for up to a year until Madman does a temporary price cut.

My cousin would be thrilled to get her 1-year old into it, as she loves the character.

It's also a childhood favourite of mine.

I actually wish it was next week instead, because I've got quite a few preorders placed with JB that come out next week.

Edit: Actually I just noticed that it states on Jb's website that the 20% off sale goes right through til the 5/12, so I'll be able to pick up those titles which are released next week and still benefit from it. I might even try my luck by purchasing another copy of The Dark Knight Rises, and see if they will price match Target or Kmart's price, then apply the 20% off to that.
Setup:

Last edited by Cevolution; 11-27-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #1468
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
I'm not convinced it's not a website glitch I've not seen any advertising for it and there's no mention on their facebook or twitter
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. But let's take advantage of it anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #1469
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

So happy im getting paid tomorrow. Have a couple of blus to buy including the new Ice Age so the discount is great.
WTB:
Standard Blu's: Finding Nemo (non 3D with slip), same for Brave. Cars 2 3D with all discs. Disney 3D releases (G-Force, Chicken Run, Little and Meet the Robinsons etc.). Beauty and the Beast Xmas with slip.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1470

Jul 2011
Perth Australia

Quote:
So there's now a site banner stating the sale ends 5/12 and excludes pre-orders
@Melmoy77
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #1471

Oct 2011
Sydney, Australia

So annoying. I bought TDKR from them just yesterday lol. Might buy Ted.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #1472

Oct 2010
Melbourne

So is the 20% off instore as well?
It's good that it's till the 5th of Dec, plenty of time.

Now I can get Brave for $32 instead of $40 with the bonus disc.
And get the version of Ice age with everything for $29.58
And even grab DKR double play for slightly less than Big w.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #1473

Mar 2012
Melbourne

It looks like Ill be getting the cowl TDKR in about a weeks time, Im more than happy to wait a bit longer for it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #1474
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1989 View Post
So annoying. I bought TDKR from them just yesterday lol. Might buy Ted.
I got TDKR for $24 at JB on Monday, which is the same price as it scans up at with their 20% off, so luckily it's no biggie for me. Though I just thought I would see if I could get them to price match Target/Kmart for $25, and then take 20% off. That would have brought it down to $20, however they refused to do it, saying that they don't price match when their 20% off price comes up lower than the competitors price, which is BS because they have done it for me plenty of times before. If they allowed it I would have simply returned it with my other receipt from Monday. If anyone is successful in getting JB to price match Target/Kmart and then receiving a further 20% off, let us all know .
Setup:
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #1475
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueherring View Post
So is the 20% off instore as well?
It's good that it's till the 5th of Dec, plenty of time.

Now I can get Brave for $32 instead of $40 with the bonus disc.
And get the version of Ice age with everything for $29.58
And even grab DKR double play for slightly less than Big w.
Yeah it's instore as well as online.
Setup:
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #1476

Dec 2009
Australia

So where is the cheapest place to pick up the Dark Knight Trilogy? Big W for $44?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #1477
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

Ok...does the big w version of TDKR have a slip or just a comic.?
WTB:
Standard Blu's: Finding Nemo (non 3D with slip), same for Brave. Cars 2 3D with all discs. Disney 3D releases (G-Force, Chicken Run, Little and Meet the Robinsons etc.). Beauty and the Beast Xmas with slip.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #1478

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I got TDKR for $24 at JB on Monday, which is the same price as it scans up at with their 20% off, so luckily it's no biggie for me. Though I just thought I would see if I could get them to price match Target/Kmart for $25, and then take 20% off. That would have brought it down to $20, however they refused to do it, saying that they don't price match when their 20% off price comes up lower than the competitors price, which is BS because they have done it for me plenty of times before. If they allowed it I would have simply returned it with my other receipt from Monday. If anyone is successful in getting JB to price match Target/Kmart and then receiving a further 20% off, let us all know .
Was gonna say when you first mentioned it further discounts are usually excluded. It's mentioned in the fine print of the percentage off sales generally 'no further discounts'. Whenever we used to have to do price matches in a percentage off sale you would have to add the percentage to whatever the price was so when it would over ride it would go to the price matched price.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #1479
Power Member

Feb 2010

I justed pre-ordered Catch Me if You Can. Its listed price was $19.98, but it is part of the 2 for $30 sale. I added another 2 for $30 item, price went down to $12 each because of the 20% discount. Then, because I decided I didnt want that other item, I deleted it but Catch Me if You Can remained at $12. So locked in the pre-order for $12.99 including shipping.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #1480
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
I justed pre-ordered Catch Me if You Can. Its listed price was $19.98, but it is part of the 2 for $30 sale. I added another 2 for $30 item, price went down to $12 each because of the 20% discount. Then, because I decided I didnt want that other item, I deleted it but Catch Me if You Can remained at $12. So locked in the pre-order for $12.99 including shipping.
it's not meant to include pre-orders...
WTB:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia