COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Evilspeak (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #421
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3FAN View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I set it to 80hz and I notice there's less bass. When I had it at 120hz it kinda had bass but it was never really fulfilled. Should I go lower, higher, what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
I didn't realize that. If that's the case, I would think 120hz would probably be about right.
I think you had it dead on when you were on 120hz since your quitet III surrounds actually don't go much lower than 110hz.

Yes more material intended for front speakers will go to the Sub and since the sub has the bigger driver it will certainly sound like you have more bass at 120 hz.

Depends on the speakers you have.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds, TotemTress Speaker cables
Nordost White Lightning Interconnects,
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #422

Feb 2010

I have Paradigm monitor 7's v.6's for my fronts, should they be set to large or small?
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 plasma/Panasonic BDT-310 blu-ray player/Pioneer DV-410V (Multi-Region) DVD player/DirecTV Geni/Anthem MRX-500/Panamax M5100-PM Power conditioner/Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6's fronts, CC-190 v.6 center, ADP-190's v.6 rear /Paradigm Monitor Sub-10/URC MX-980/URC MRF-350 base station
Old 11-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #423
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp71 View Post
I have Paradigm monitor 7's v.6's for my fronts, should they be set to large or small?
Very few speakers should be set to Large. Even if they can handle deep bass, the L/R speakers have to be positioned for imaging, which may not be optimal for bass performance. You can put your sub(s) where they work best for bass response.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #424
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Folsom, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp71 View Post
How much bass you want?

Small with a crossover of 80Hz is recommended if you want your sub to handle most of the heavy lifting, or you can set them to Large if you want them to take on as much bass as they can. However, at Large there might be an issue with the two cancelling each other out at certain frequencies so you can experiment with it and see what sounds best to you, but small at 80Hz or even down to 60Hz if you want a bit extra is what I'd recommend
Samsung LN46A650 - Onkyo TX-SR805
80GB PS3 - Elemental Designs A2-300
Polk Monitor 70's - Polk CS2 - Polk Monitor 40's

(PSN: tbizzle0) - my blu/PS3 trade thread
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #425

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorcomplex View Post

I got the Klipsch B-3's, C-2, S-2's, and Sub-10. The S-2's are about 6 feet away from my listening point, and the B-3's are about 9 feet away, and 8 feet apart from each other.

It also set my fronts to small, but the bass out to "both". I set it back for bass to come out of the sub only, was I correct in doing this? Thanks in advance.
I also have a full Klipsch set up. I just found this thread and was reading through. I have no clue what Klipsch I have as far as B3-C2, as you posted. I am reading the manuals right now to find out what I have and what they can handle. The manual doesn't state those specs, but it does say that they are full range loudspeakers and can be set to large, but Klipsch receommends for better overall performance, to set to small if you have a sub.

With me having a pioneer system, I run mine on Large with my sub on Plus.

Edit - My speakers are RF10, RB10 and RC10.
SONY 40" LCD Bravia
Pioneer 1000 WATT HD Receiver 7.1
Complete KLIPSCH Speaker Set Up
RPW -10" Powered Sub with HighLevel OUT, Built in C/O with Phase
Sony Blu-Ray 1080p Out BDP-BX58 3D

Last edited by midrange; 01-10-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #426

Oct 2011
Rhode Island, USA

Hi folks! I'm running the following from my Yamaha Rx-a3000 receiver :

Klipsch RF 7 ll towers ... 30 hz +- 3 db (present crossover 60 hz)
Klipsch RC64 ll center ... 59 hz +- 3 db (present crossover 80 hz)
Def Tech BP 7004 surrounds 17 hz (present crossover 40 hz) (note: the built in subs in the Def Techs are plugged in but not output from the receiver's LFE.)
Bowers & Wilkins CM-5 rear surrounds 52 hz +- 3 db (present crossover 60 hz)
Def Tech Pro-sub 1000 (2) (Low pass set all the way up to 150 hz.)

Should I leave these as is or should all speakers be set at the same crossover? If the same, would 60 or 80 hz be best for my system?

Thanks for this great thread.

Michelle
Display : Samsung PN63C8000 63" 3D Plasma,
AVR : Yamaha Rx A3000, Power Amp : Emotiva xpa-5, Blu-Ray Player : Oppo BDP-95, Headphone Amp : Beyerdynamic A1,
Headphones : Grado PS-1000, Senheisser HD-800, HiFiMan He-500
Towers: Klipsch RF7 ll's, Center : Klipsch RC-64 ll,
Surrounds : Definitive Technologies BP-7004's,
Rear Surrounds : Bowers & Wilkins CM-5's,
Subs : (2) Rhythmik f12se
Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #427

Nov 2008

After reading many posts on this thread, it has come to my attention that 80 is the number to stick with. It is also what is recommended by THX for sound quality.

ALso what has been said to play around with your settings to get it sounding the best for you.
SONY 40" LCD Bravia
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #428
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
I also have a full Klipsch set up. I just found this thread and was reading through. I have no clue what Klipsch I have as far as B3-C2, as you posted. I am reading the manuals right now to find out what I have and what they can handle. The manual doesn't state those specs, but it does say that they are full range loudspeakers and can be set to large, but Klipsch receommends for better overall performance, to set to small if you have a sub.

With me having a pioneer system, I run mine on Large with my sub on Plus.
I'm not sure that is a good idea. It sounds like another way of saying double bass, which is not a good idea.

I'm thinking you should really find out which klipsch speakers you have and post that in the Klipsch thread and see if we can do some tweaks to make it sound it's best.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/65...rs-thread.html
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #429

Oct 2011
Rhode Island, USA

From everything I've read here, if you are connecting a sub to the receiver's LFE output, you should bass manage by setting all speakers to small and then set the individual crossovers. I also read that all speakers should be set to the same crossover frequency to prevent "holes" in your frequency range.
AVR : Yamaha Rx A3000, Power Amp : Emotiva xpa-5, Blu-Ray Player : Oppo BDP-95, Headphone Amp : Beyerdynamic A1,
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #430

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I'm not sure that is a good idea. It sounds like another way of saying double bass, which is not a good idea.

I'm thinking you should really find out which klipsch speakers you have and post that in the Klipsch thread and see if we can do some tweaks to make it sound it's best.

Thanks for that Klipsch thread. Heres the thing, the speakers easily handle the bass. It makes for great sound up front because I do not run my sub up front, I run it behind me. (back left side of couch in corner) So the bass it puts out up front doesn't cancel anything, and the bass behind me rumbles to good stuff! lol Makes for great sound. I did post it on the Klipsch thread tho.
SONY 40" LCD Bravia
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #431
Special Member

Apr 2011
Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
Thanks for that Klipsch thread. Heres the thing, the speakers easily handle the bass. It makes for great sound up front because I do not run my sub up front, I run it behind me. (back left side of couch in corner) So the bass it puts out up front doesn't cancel anything, and the bass behind me rumbles to good stuff! lol Makes for great sound. I did post it on the Klipsch thread tho.
bass is not directional. It may be louder only because it is closer. the canceling is the physical leveling out of a certain frequency. Now if your running some stereo music and want the full value, run your fronts on large for that only.
"A smart man knows his limits
A great man knows he has none"---Court Dog
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #432

Oct 2011
Rhode Island, USA

Hey Smee. I've actually done that ... listened to a CD in stereo and changed the crossover to "Full". I miss hearing the sub kick in though. My receiver has settings called 2 or 7 channel stereo which utilize the subs or in the case of 7 channel, all of my speakers. It's fun to experiment!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #433

Oct 2011
Rhode Island, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post

It's a a good idea if it sounds good!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #434
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parula View Post
It's a a good idea if it sounds good!
It creates distortion, and I don't think distortion ever sounds good.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #435

Nov 2008

I've set all mine to small with Sub to Yes.. Still sounds great.. I just know that when my sub is off being in a apt, its nice to have them on large and the bass the Klipsch creates, sometimes makes me wonder why I have a sub.. Plus i'm the kind of guy where the amount I spent on my speakers, i want to get the most out of them.
SONY 40" LCD Bravia
Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #436

Oct 2011
Rhode Island, USA

You could always lower the crossover frequency on your Klipsch's another 10-20 hz. which will in effect make them full range.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #437

Mar 2009
USA cross over for lt1 speakers

I have a Sony receiver which allows me to set the high pass crossover on my center , fronts and surrounds . My auto calibration set my fronts( Polk audio LT1 satellites) at 200 Hz my center(Polk audio) to 120hz, which seems high being that its a large high end size speaker which can handle down to 55Hz. And my surrounds at 140Hz, Polk audio satalites as well. My main question is that the manual for the fronts very simply asks to set my crossover at 120Hz. I'm a little lost on what to set the value at. The front Polk speakers say its crossover frequency response is 130Hs-20Khz. Can I have a little advice please?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #438

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by santis1978 View Post
I have a Sony receiver which allows me to set the high pass crossover on my center , fronts and surrounds . My auto calibration set my fronts( Polk audio LT1 satellites) at 200 Hz my center(Polk audio) to 120hz, which seems high being that its a large high end size speaker which can handle down to 55Hz. And my surrounds at 140Hz, Polk audio satalites as well. My main question is that the manual for the fronts very simply asks to set my crossover at 120Hz. I'm a little lost on what to set the value at. The front Polk speakers say its crossover frequency response is 130Hs-20Khz. Can I have a little advice please?
  1. If you have one or two subwoofers in the room, all your other speakers become SMALL by default.

2. The performance of speakers is affected by the room, furniture, windows, etc., and their location in the room.

3. The auto calibration programs do not measure the frequency response of the speakers as measured by the manufacturers. They simply measure the performance of the speakers in the room.

4. If you move the speakers around (even by a foot or less), the results of the auto calibration program may be different.

5. It is generally a good idea to set the crossover frequencies of the speakers 10Hz to 20Hz above the minimum frequency response as reported by the manufactures.

6. Most home subwoofers cannot go beyond 120Hz. Some may go as high as 150Hz. When you set the crossover frequencies of the speakers very high, the bass from those speakers will be redirected to the subwoofer. If the subwoofer has an upper limit of around 130Hz, you will have a problem and need to compromise.
I highly recommend that you read a A Guide to Bass Management (Part I).
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #439

Oct 2007

Gentlemen:

I'm looking for advise on the " best " crossover / speaker setup for the following equipment:

RECEIVER: YAMAHA HTR 6180 (aka 863VX)
FRONTS: AXIOM M50i floor standing + / - 3 dB is 39 Hz to 22KHz
CENTRE: PSB 200ci + / - 3 dB is 68 Hz to 21 KHz
REARS: AXIOM QS4 wall mounted + / - 3 dB is 100 Hz to 22 KHz
SUBWOOFER: POLK AUDIO + / - 34 Hz to 225 Hz (has LFE position to bypass internal crossover which would be the obvious setting for the SUBWOOFER and the SUBWOOFER volume is set at the half-way point before running the YPAO mic setup).

NOTE: cannot adjust crossover for individual speakers

I have run the YAMAHA mic setup numerous times, tried different settings by manually adjusting the speaker size and crossover frequency. The mic setup recommends the FRONTS as large, the CENTER and REARS as small and the crossover set as 160 Hz. That high a crossover frequency is a long way from the generally recommended crossover frequency of 80 Hz. The trouble with that configuration is the subwoofer has no bass when I switch the receiver to play stereo CD music. The subwoofer works much better when playing stereo CD's with the FRONTS set to small and the SUBWOOFER is selected as the designated bass handler. I also play multi-channel SACD with the receiver set as per the mic setup configuration and the FRONTS do offer some audible bass when set to large. The SUBWOOFER performs best when the FRONTS are set to small or the "BOTH " option is selected in the bass management screen in the setup menu.

So, I'd really appeciate any suggestions on the best configuration.

Regards:

blurayisking
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #440
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

I am not familiar with YPAO. But, you should change all speakers to small. That engages bass management, which is how deep bass gets sent to the sub with CDs, which have no LFE channel. Lowering the crossover also seems like a good idea. 160 may be right for the center and surrounds. But, your L/R speakers likely can handle frequencies lower than that.

Last edited by BIslander; 03-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers