COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 5 (Blu-ray)
$42.52
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Seasons 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Coriolanus (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Bedknobs and Broomsticks (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #17521
Rustolem Rustolem is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2007
15
304
214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
My opinion is.... (others may agree or disagree)
With out knowing how hard you drive your system as far as volume levels or what your speaker crossover points are and such.......

Do you hear distortion at all in your system from the front 3 speakers during movies or 5.1 music playback with your XPA-3?

If you do then I'd say the XPA-2 is the way to go.

If you don't feel that you are hearing distortion with the way your system is set up currently then I'd say the XPA-5 should perform as the XPA-3 does and go with that.
When listening to music they are cranked, usual listening is -25 to 20 but on music I am either at 0 or up to +2. I have L/R/C set at 80hz each right now wasn't sure about how much lower they should be. And no don't think I have heard any distortion out them yet.
I didn't think the extra 100 watts for just the L/R was needed since I don't spend much time in 2.1 mode.

Thanks for commenting, Remo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #17522
cr136124 cr136124 is offline
Senior Member
 
cr136124's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
When listening to music they are cranked, usual listening is -25 to 20 but on music I am either at 0 or up to +2. I have L/R/C set at 80hz each right now wasn't sure about how much lower they should be. And no don't think I have heard any distortion out them yet.
I didn't think the extra 100 watts for just the L/R was needed since I don't spend much time in 2.1 mode.

Thanks for commenting, Remo.
If you really don't run your system on 2.1 mode, then you can go ahead and upgrade to the XPA-5.

You can sell your XPA-3 and with that cash pull the trigger on the 5 (of course, you will need to put some extra cash to buy the 5). Your receiver will appreciate the fact that is only used as pre-output (heavy lifting will be performed by the amp).

My two cents!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #17523
Remo Remo is offline
Senior Member
 
Remo's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Michigan
12
155
24
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
When listening to music they are cranked, usual listening is -25 to 20 but on music I am either at 0 or up to +2. I have L/R/C set at 80hz each right now wasn't sure about how much lower they should be. And no don't think I have heard any distortion out them yet.
I didn't think the extra 100 watts for just the L/R was needed since I don't spend much time in 2.1 mode.

Thanks for commenting, Remo.
Yeah Xpa-5 should be fine for your needs since you don't have distortion with the XPA-3.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #17524
Rustolem Rustolem is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2007
15
304
214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post
If you really don't run your system on 2.1 mode, then you can go ahead and upgrade to the XPA-5.

You can sell your XPA-3 and with that cash pull the trigger on the 5 (of course, you will need to put some extra cash to buy the 5). Your receiver will appreciate the fact that is only used as pre-output (heavy lifting will be performed by the amp).

My two cents!
Thanks just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be missing out by not having the extra watts to my L/R.. When I using my Axiom speakers I would use the 2 channel mode but since moving to the Aperion's my music sounds better in 5.1.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #17525
Parsifal Parsifal is offline
Junior Member
 
Apr 2010
San Fran Bay Area
3
Default XPA-2 on Energy RC-70

I am trying to decide whether I should take advantage of the Holiday sale and get the XPA-2. I currently have Energy RC-70 as my L/R speakers and am feeding them with a XPA-3, with an older Denon 4802 receiver as the pre-amp. My reference listening level is never higher than -20. Will the sound improve on the Energy RC-70 significantly for music listening if they're powered by XPA-2's extra 100W PC? My music preferences are classical, rock and jazz.

Frank
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #17526
Rustolem Rustolem is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2007
15
304
214
Default

just wanted to check this out with everyone...
I purchased a XPA-5 today and wanted some .5 meter rca cables for the connection between my Yamaha and the amp but they were out of stock so I emailed them about it and this is there response and just wanted to see if everyone agreed.
"As an alternative you can use the digital coaxial cables for an analog audio connection. There is absolutely no difference in sound quality between the two cables. They can be used interchangeably when transmitting an analog audio signal."

Thanks
Rustolem
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #17527
Remo Remo is offline
Senior Member
 
Remo's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Michigan
12
155
24
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
just wanted to check this out with everyone...
I purchased a XPA-5 today and wanted some .5 meter rca cables for the connection between my Yamaha and the amp but they were out of stock so I emailed them about it and this is there response and just wanted to see if everyone agreed.
"As an alternative you can use the digital coaxial cables for an analog audio connection. There is absolutely no difference in sound quality between the two cables. They can be used interchangeably when transmitting an analog audio signal."

Thanks
Rustolem
yep thats fine.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #17528
jlafrenz jlafrenz is offline
Special Member
 
jlafrenz's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Columbia, MO
48
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
just wanted to check this out with everyone...
I purchased a XPA-5 today and wanted some .5 meter rca cables for the connection between my Yamaha and the amp but they were out of stock so I emailed them about it and this is there response and just wanted to see if everyone agreed.
"As an alternative you can use the digital coaxial cables for an analog audio connection. There is absolutely no difference in sound quality between the two cables. They can be used interchangeably when transmitting an analog audio signal."

Thanks
Rustolem
If you are happy with the XPA-3 and the volumes that it provides then you will be perfectly fine with the XPA-5. It is the same amp, just with 5 channels instead of 3. As far as the interconnects. I have and use both the RCA and coaxial style. Zero difference as far as your application. Either will work just fine.
-Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RS8's, RSLCR, RSFX, Dual Epik Empires
-Powered by: Dual XPA-5's & MMC-1
-TV: Samsung 52" A750
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
-Cables: Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, DIY Cat5, Belden, DNM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #17529
Rustolem Rustolem is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2007
15
304
214
Default

thanks guys... one more reason why this forum is so much better than the ones at AVS.. that and you can actually see what people are using.

thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #17530
ZIPPO ZIPPO is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
ZIPPO's Avatar
 
May 2008
Columbus, Ohio
148
472
3
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
thanks guys... one more reason why this forum is so much better than the ones at AVS.. that and you can actually see what people are using.

thanks
Yes the HT gallery link & gear signature are nice features on this site.
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS



"What is dead may never die..."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #17531
WarEagleDoc WarEagleDoc is offline
Member
 
WarEagleDoc's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Campbell, KY
470
3
Default Just got an XPA-5

So I ordered an XPA-5 from Emotiva yesterday, and it was delivered today! Really looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about!
Display: Samsung UN65F8000 / Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR 5009 / Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 / Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 x2 / Center: CSiA6 / Rear Surrounds: RTiA3 x2 / Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #17532
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA
254
841
4
34
222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDoc View Post
So I ordered an XPA-5 from Emotiva yesterday, and it was delivered today! Really looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about!
we want pictures or it don't exist!

truth is, we're just nosy as hell!

congrats on your purchase, hope you like it!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #17533
WarEagleDoc WarEagleDoc is offline
Member
 
WarEagleDoc's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Campbell, KY
470
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
we want pictures or it don't exist!

truth is, we're just nosy as hell!

congrats on your purchase, hope you like it!
I'm on it I ordered the cables to go with it after it had already shipped so hopefully those will be in tomorrow. I'll get some pictures up soon. They will only be iPhone pictures though for the time being.
Display: Samsung UN65F8000 / Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR 5009 / Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 / Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 x2 / Center: CSiA6 / Rear Surrounds: RTiA3 x2 / Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #17534
WarEagleDoc WarEagleDoc is offline
Member
 
WarEagleDoc's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Campbell, KY
470
3
Default



Here it is. What size do you guys prefer for photos?
Display: Samsung UN65F8000 / Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR 5009 / Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 / Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 x2 / Center: CSiA6 / Rear Surrounds: RTiA3 x2 / Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #17535
cr136124 cr136124 is offline
Senior Member
 
cr136124's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDoc View Post
Here it is. What size do you guys prefer for photos?
1080p cinemascope pics to watch them up at our Home Theaters 150" screens.........

Nah, the pic that you posted looks already just fine to me.

Congrats on your XPA-5 and don't forget to post back as soon you have your system up and running.

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #17536
WarEagleDoc WarEagleDoc is offline
Member
 
WarEagleDoc's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Campbell, KY
470
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post
1080p cinemascope pics to watch them up at our Home Theaters 150" screens.........

Nah, the pic that you posted looks already just fine to me.

Congrats on your XPA-5 and don't forget to post back as soon you have your system up and running.

Cheers!
Thanks! Will do! I really like your living room theater! I saw it once before when I was looking at member's galleries and I was impressed. It makes me feel torn between upgrading my front speakers or upgrading my subwoofer though... It's a disease I guess....Thanks again.
Display: Samsung UN65F8000 / Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR 5009 / Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 / Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 x2 / Center: CSiA6 / Rear Surrounds: RTiA3 x2 / Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #17537
LowCalG2 LowCalG2 is offline
Active Member
 
LowCalG2's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Midwest
4
491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDoc View Post
So I ordered an XPA-5 from Emotiva yesterday, and it was delivered today! Really looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about!

WOW!!! I ordered one yesterday as well but not holding my breath that mine will show up today
65" Panasonic S1 --- Oppo BDP-83
Onkyo TX-NR1007 --- PS3 80G --- Emo XPA5
Paradigm / Klipsh Speakers
Subs - ED A5-350 & BIC F12
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #17538
cr136124 cr136124 is offline
Senior Member
 
cr136124's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDoc View Post
Thanks! Will do! I really like your living room theater! I saw it once before when I was looking at member's galleries and I was impressed. It makes me feel torn between upgrading my front speakers or upgrading my subwoofer though... It's a disease I guess....Thanks again.
Upgraditis............only cure...........buying more stuff......it the medication only last few days.....

I need to go back and update my gallery to include the new toys acquired in the last few weeks...........

About your fronts vs subwoofers, I will vote to upgrade your subwoofer first. A really good subwoofer will do wonders in your setup (that applies for movies and music too).

Looking forward to hear on your initial impressions!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #17539
WarEagleDoc WarEagleDoc is offline
Member
 
WarEagleDoc's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Campbell, KY
470
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCalG2 View Post
WOW!!! I ordered one yesterday as well but not holding my breath that mine will show up today
To be fair, I should add that I live in Louisville now so I am fairly close to Emotiva. I just haven't changed my profile. Also, I ordered some of their RCA cables after the amp had already shipped so I am still waiting on those, so the amp is just sitting in my entertainment center for the time being.
Display: Samsung UN65F8000 / Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR 5009 / Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 / Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 x2 / Center: CSiA6 / Rear Surrounds: RTiA3 x2 / Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #17540
WarEagleDoc WarEagleDoc is offline
Member
 
WarEagleDoc's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Campbell, KY
470
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post
Upgraditis............only cure...........buying more stuff......it the medication only last few days.....

I need to go back and update my gallery to include the new toys acquired in the last few weeks...........

About your fronts vs subwoofers, I will vote to upgrade your subwoofer first. A really good subwoofer will do wonders in your setup (that applies for movies and music too).

Looking forward to hear on your initial impressions!

I almost ordered a HSU-VTF 15H this morning, but I have that nagging feeling in the back of my brain that keeps urging me to hold out a little longer and pick up one of those PB13's.

Merlin tells me to get the 12 because of my RTiA7's but it doesn't look like they make those in the cherry finish anymore...
Display: Samsung UN65F8000 / Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR 5009 / Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 / Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 x2 / Center: CSiA6 / Rear Surrounds: RTiA3 x2 / Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Official B&W Speakers Thread Speakers allstar780 1935 09-13-2014 11:18 PM
The Official Emotiva Audio Speakers Thread Speakers tootall82103 5 05-06-2013 04:28 PM
OFFICIAL: MADONNA: Sticky & Sweet BD Thread Blu-ray Movies - North America CCTM2000 37 06-21-2010 06:09 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 AM.