Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Vikings: Season One (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Blues Brothers (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hold Your Breath (Blu-ray)
$8.75
BTOOOM!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Patlabor The Mobile Police : Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #441
Special Member

Jul 2009
Northeast, IN

Been really enjoying listening & feeling the XV15 work alot lately!!

Bought Brave for my 9 yr old daughter birthday party this weekend, however the girls did not want to watch the movie, but lucky it was nice this weekend so they ran there little hearts & loud mouth around the backyard.... However i did get a memorable moment from them, and got say i like the opening video/playback of Disney..... The firework opening scene sound wise is awesome and of course the XV15 thumps nicely!! All six girls stopped in awe when that scene played

Got to say there's quite alot of LFE in Brave, the scene that tops it would be when the witch's caldron blows up WoW

Audioholics Review is up for those interested.....
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...v-15-subwoofer
"40 ounce in my lap and it's freezing my balls"
"My brain is just a jellyfish, in the ocean of my head"

PSN: Jamweiser

Last edited by Jamfan; 11-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #442
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan View Post
Been really enjoying listening & feeling the XV15 work alot lately!!

Bought Brave for my 9 yr old daughter birthday party this weekend, however the girls did not want to watch the movie, but lucky it was nice this weekend so they ran there little hearts & loud mouth around the backyard.... However i did get a memorable moment from them, and got say i like the opening video/playback of Disney..... The firework opening scene sound wise is awesome and of course the XV15 thumps nicely!! All six girls stopped in awe when that scene played

Got to say there's quite alot of LFE in Brave, the scene that tops it would be when the witch's caldron blows up WoW

Audioholics Review is up for those interested.....
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...v-15-subwoofer
That's great to hear,and i hadnt seen that review yet, thanks for that.I finally ordered an XV-15 last night,can't wait to hook it up .
Basement ''mancave'' setup :
Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector,Focupix 100'' manual screen,APC-H10,Onkyo 805,Emotiva XPA-3,PS- 3 slim, Polk Rti-12, Polk CS2,Polk Monitor 60(rears),PSA XV-15 Emotiva Utra Sub 12
Living room setup:
Panasonic TC-60PU54 ''60 Plasma,Onkyo 705, PS- 3 80GB(MGS4 Bundle edition)w/ upgraded 500 gb HD,Eosone RSF1000 tower speakers, Polk Fxi-5,Polk Csi-25

PSN ID: ADAPPJ28
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #443
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Well i think its safe to say my XV 15 is broke in,the wife asked me if i was trying to rattle the foundation and the drywall loose ,haha i hope thats not possible.I do need to look into soundproofing the ceiling in the basement,but most likely i'll only get to use the sub when nobody else is home.Seriously,there is so much volume with the lfe in movies,esp. the low end,i've never heard or felt from a sub before.Anybody in the market for a sub should definitely consider PSA,they are the real deal .
Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector,Focupix 100'' manual screen,APC-H10,Onkyo 805,Emotiva XPA-3,PS- 3 slim, Polk Rti-12, Polk CS2,Polk Monitor 60(rears),PSA XV-15 Emotiva Utra Sub 12
Living room setup:
Panasonic TC-60PU54 ''60 Plasma,Onkyo 705, PS- 3 80GB(MGS4 Bundle edition)w/ upgraded 500 gb HD,Eosone RSF1000 tower speakers, Polk Fxi-5,Polk Csi-25

Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #444
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
O H I O Steelbooks™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus74 View Post
Well i think its safe to say my XV 15 is broke in,the wife asked me if i was trying to rattle the foundation and the drywall loose ,haha i hope thats not possible.I do need to look into soundproofing the ceiling in the basement,but most likely i'll only get to use the sub when nobody else is home.Seriously,there is so much volume with the lfe in movies,esp. the low end,i've never heard or felt from a sub before.Anybody in the market for a sub should definitely consider PSA,they are the real deal .
HAHA! Good to hear you are lovin it! Wife complaints are normal w a great subwoofer...
Display Samsung LN52A650 / Remote Logitech Harmony One
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010 / HTPC nMediaPC 2000 (3TB)
Media DirecTV HR-22 / Oppo BDP-103 / Oppo DV-983H
Front Mirage OMD-28 / Center Mirage OMD-C2 / Surround Mirage OMD-5
Subwoofer Power Sound Audio XV15 (BASH) / Power Monster SS 5100 MKII
Cable AudioQuest Carbon Chocolate Cinnamon Forest Vodka / Emotiva X-Series
Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #445
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Check out PowerSound's new sub,
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle.../products/xs30

I wonder if a pair of these would have a better chance of keeping up with my SubMersive's than a pair of Empires did? The price is definitely attractive.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #446
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post

I wonder if a pair of these would have a better chance of keeping up with my SubMersive's than a pair of Empires did? The price is definitely attractive.
That is awesome. TOM! We love you man...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #447
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010

I demo'd my PSA yesterday for a friend and it was just rumbling the floor.

Demo'd some really good stuff...

War of the Worlds
Thor
Super 8
Snow White and the Huntsman
The Book of Eli
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #448
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicmonger View Post
I demo'd my PSA yesterday for a friend and it was just rumbling the floor.

Demo'd some really good stuff...

War of the Worlds
Thor
Super 8
Snow White and the Huntsman
The Book of Eli
Yeah i had friend over last night,we were giddy but the wife was upstairs so i had to turn down quickly .I need to get War Of The Worlds,i've heard that one has some ridiculous LFE.I wonder how that new PSA sub is? I'm sure its awesome,curious how there sealed subs sound vs. the ported.
Living room setup:

Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #449

Sep 2011
New Joisey

WotW is definitely a good to test of a sub, and is considered one of the best movies to date for that. However, if you really want to punish a subwoofer try Underworld: Awakening. There are parts of that movie that seem intent on blowing a subwoofer to pieces.
- Jim
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #450
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
WotW is definitely a good to test of a sub, and is considered one of the best movies to date for that. However, if you really want to punish a subwoofer try Underworld: Awakening. There are parts of that movie that seem intent on blowing a subwoofer to pieces.
Yeah thats also on my want list,but i'm a little concerned it might give my house foundation problems. But honestly,i hope not.
Living room setup:

Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #451
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
Thanks Jim for the info.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #452
Special Member

Jul 2009
Northeast, IN

While watching Return of the Jedi, the scene when skywalker blows up jabba's ship/boat, there's a good amount of LFE, my daughter turns to me and say's "wow dad, that was a cool explosion, i can feel the couch shake!" Gotta say had a good smile after i heard that, also will say i'm impressed on the audio quality of the original star war films on blu-ray.... was not expecting that much LFE from these flicks.....
"40 ounce in my lap and it's freezing my balls"
"My brain is just a jellyfish, in the ocean of my head"

PSN: Jamweiser
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #453

Nov 2012
San Clemente, CA

I have a BIC F12 that I've been using for a couple years, and it's a good sub for the price.. but I'm looking for something more substantial now.
I've narrowed in down to the HSU VTF3-MK4 or SVS PB-12NSD.. but now I'm taking a serious look at the XS15.

- I like the tuning ability of the VTF3 and HSU is only 40 mins away.. but it's a little on the deep side.
- The PB-12NSD is the right size, has favorable reviews, and looks like I can't go wrong.
- The XS15, however, looks like a game changer in price/performance.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #454
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkane View Post
I have a BIC F12 that I've been using for a couple years, and it's a good sub for the price.. but I'm looking for something more substantial now.
I've narrowed in down to the HSU VTF3-MK4 or SVS PB-12NSD.. but now I'm taking a serious look at the XS15.

- I like the tuning ability of the VTF3 and HSU is only 40 mins away.. but it's a little on the deep side.
- The PB-12NSD is the right size, has favorable reviews, and looks like I can't go wrong.
- The XS15, however, looks like a game changer in price/performance.
Highly recommend PSA. I'm not familiar with their sealed subs but their ported rocks my house. Call and speak with Tom or Jim. THey will be able to answer any question you have.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #455

Jul 2012

Quote:

2 versus 2? Likely not. I've yet to see objective data on the Subm but I'd *guess* the extension and overall sound would be very similar. However I bet the Subm would have a slight output edge in the deeper bass which would grow a bit at higher frequencies. It uses an extremely powerful amp.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #456
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan View Post
While watching Return of the Jedi, the scene when skywalker blows up jabba's ship/boat, there's a good amount of LFE, my daughter turns to me and say's "wow dad, that was a cool explosion, i can feel the couch shake!" Gotta say had a good smile after i heard that, also will say i'm impressed on the audio quality of the original star war films on blu-ray.... was not expecting that much LFE from these flicks.....
Yes ! i totally remember that scene,it sounded pretty good with my old sub,i can imagine how it and all the Star Wars blu rays sound now.Theres a lot of stuff i'm gonna have to rewatch now,lol.
Living room setup:

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #457
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
2 versus 2? Likely not. I've yet to see objective data on the Subm but I'd *guess* the extension and overall sound would be very similar. However I bet the Subm would have a slight output edge in the deeper bass which would grow a bit at higher frequencies. It uses an extremely powerful amp.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hey Tom,

Sorry I didn't mean a direct comparison against one another, I meant using a pair of XS30's in conjunction with the SubM's in a 3200 cubic foot room. I tried the Empires already and they couldn't cut the mustard. To be honest I would rather not pay for another pair of SubM's but in the end if I couldn't find anything else to pair with them then I guess I'd have to pony up the cash.

So would the XS30's be really holding the SubM's back much? I'm really only concerned with being somewhat flat down to 15hz when watching movies at my preferred listening level of -10. Anything below that is just gravy.

I've got quite a bit of room gain below 30hz, I can post some in room measurements of the pair of SubM's if that would help at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #458

Jul 2012

Quote:
Hey Tom,

Sorry I didn't mean a direct comparison against one another, I meant using a pair of XS30's in conjunction with the SubM's in a 3200 cubic foot room. I tried the Empires already and they couldn't cut the mustard. To be honest I would rather not pay for another pair of SubM's but in the end if I couldn't find anything else to pair with them then I guess I'd have to pony up the cash.

So would the XS30's be really holding the SubM's back much? I'm really only concerned with being somewhat flat down to 15hz when watching movies at my preferred listening level of -10. Anything below that is just gravy.

I've got quite a bit of room gain below 30hz, I can post some in room measurements of the pair of SubM's if that would help at all.

Hello,

With twin subm in the room now...and not using volume levels past -10 (10 under reference)....what are you looking to gain by adding more subwoofers? I'd guess a single SubM would be fine for those listening levels in most rooms.

Also, in regards to the epiks----in what way were they having trouble "keeping up"? At those volume levels I would have though you would have tons of headroom to spare from either design(seaton or epik)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #459
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Hello,

With twin subm in the room now...and not using volume levels past -10 (10 under reference)....what are you looking to gain by adding more subwoofers? I'd guess a single SubM would be fine for those listening levels in most rooms.

Also, in regards to the epiks----in what way were they having trouble "keeping up"? At those volume levels I would have though you would have tons of headroom to spare from either design(seaton or epik)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I had the chance to hear a system that featured quad SubM's earlier this year, it was a great experience and one that I'm looking to recreate in my home. The bass was coming from everywhere as the subs were placed in all four corners of the room. I don't need anymore output, just looking to spread the sound around the room better.

As far as the Empires not being able to keep up, that may very well be a deficiency in my ability to set them up. I gain matched all the subs and measured tirelessly to get everything as flat as possible and each sub in the best measuring location in the room. The SubM always seemed more powerful and unless I bumped up the Empires 6db you could only really tell that the SubM was playing. When the Empires were bumped up that much they seemed to struggle in comparison to the SubM, to my ears anyway. I bought the Empires used and was able to sell them for the same price I paid so I let them go with the intentions of one day buying another pair of SubM's.

If your subs would be a better match than the Empire then that would be great as the price of the XS30 is very attractive. Or maybe I'm just chasing a wild dream.

What would your recommendation be?

Thanks Tom.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #460
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:

Two subs will reduce standing waves as well as providing smoother bass response at all listening levels.
Sharp Aquos 80" LED 3D HDTV
Sony BDP-S790 3D Blu-Ray Player
Onkyo TX-NR5010 9.2 Channel Network Receiver
Tekton Pendragon Tower Speaker x 2
Tekton Pendragon Center Speaker
Tekton Pendragon Monitor Speaker x 4
SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer x 6
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers