Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$98.45
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Kung Fu Panda 2 (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Musketeers: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Sep 2006
Default Fipel Backlighting (New Tech)

Looks like there is soon (next year) be an alternative lighting source from LED and OLED backlighting:

Quote:
The new light source is called field-induced polymer electroluminescent (Fipel) technology. It is made from three layers of white-emitting polymer that contain a small volume of nanomaterials that glow when electric current is passed through them.

The inventor of the device is Dr David Carroll, professor of physics at Wake Forest University in North Carolina. He says the new plastic lighting source can be made into any shape, and it produces a better quality of light than compact fluorescent bulbs which have become very popular in recent years.
Carroll believes that his product avoids the problem of OLED, which has so far failed to take off as expected.

Quote:
But Prof Carroll believes OLED lights haven't lived up to the hype.

"They don't last very long and they're not very bright," he said. "There's a limit to how much brightness you can get out of them. If you run too much current through them they melt."

The Fipel bulb, he says, overcomes all these problems.

"What we've found is a way of creating light rather than heat. Our devices contain no mercury, they contain no caustic chemicals and they don't break as they are not made of glass."

Prof Carroll says his new bulb is cheap to make and he has a "corporate partner" interested in manufacturing the device. He believes the first production runs will take place in 2013.
Sounds like it would make a great backlighting source, especially if they can be cheaply manufactured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20553143
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I can't wait to hear more about this. This has super-huge potential IMO.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies