Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack / Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Blu-ray)
$13.59
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Special Member

Jul 2008
Default Something that has perplexed me about my HTiB/3DTV...

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was the closest area. If anyone has an explanation, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I bought a 3D TV back in August. A Panasonic TC-L42ET5. I own a low end Sony Home Theater System, the HT-SS370. The system is not capable of 3D pass through, but I didn't think a whole lot of that. I don't use the 3D feature on my TV a ton, and I have an alternative set-up running to my PS3 for 3D Blu-Ray playback (extra HDMI cable straight to TV, ToSLink to receiver).

However, I discovered something quite interesting that I haven't been able to figure out...

Both my cable box and X-Box 360, connected via the SS370 in the exact same fashion as my PS3 (HDMI) are able to properly display 3D signals. I can watch ESPN 3D and play 3D games on my 360 with no additional or alternative hook ups.

Why then is it only the PS3 that has the issue? I was confident that the SS370 did not have any 3D capability, so how are the cable box and 360 able to bypass that?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2010

The PS3 uses a different type of 3D than the 360 and the cable box. They are SBS so really it's just a doubled image that is put together through the SBS 3D feature on your television to create the 3D image.The PS3, specifically 3D Blu-rays, uses actual encoded 3D, so it requires HDMI 1.4 to process, which a pre-3D receiver isn't capable of.
PSN ID: GamerBoy14

VIZIO E420d-A0 42-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart 3D HDTV
250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System
Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerBoy14 View Post
The PS3 uses a different type of 3D than the 360 and the cable box. They are SBS so really it's just a doubled image that is put together through the SBS 3D feature on your television to create the 3D image.The PS3, specifically 3D Blu-rays, uses actual encoded 3D, so it requires HDMI 1.4 to process, which a pre-3D receiver isn't capable of.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I thought it may have something to do with Side by Side, because I know ESPN 3D comes in on all the non-3D TVs in my house as well. It just displays stacked images stretched out to fill the screen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > HTiB (all-in-one systems)