Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Forks Over Knives (Blu-ray)
$13.71
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Chrisco84 Chrisco84 is offline
Senior Member
 
Chrisco84's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Brisbane, Australia
1007
1
6
2
Default 2D/3D - same disc question

Hi guys.
I'm new to 3D and I have a quick question.
Does either the 2D or 3D quality of a movie suffer if they are on the same blu-ray disc?
For example: I want to get Men in Black 3 3D. It comes in a single disc set with both 2D and 3D versions on the same disc or a Quad pack where the 2D and 3D versions are on seperate discs.
Would the quad pack be superior (both 2D and 3D) because they are spread over 2 discs or is having both 2D and 3D on the same disc exactly the same quality?
PSN: chrisco84

The Dude Abides

Want to buy/trade for: Saving Private Ryan and Inglorious Basterds Steel Slips (with blu's) ***** Will trade The Dark Knight Metal slip and Blu for both.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
BD3Dfan BD3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
BD3Dfan's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
130
2
Default

Depends. Some movies look the same, some look different. If the transfer's significantly different on the 3D than 2D, there is a choice to seperate discs. Usually, for converted material, it's better to go seperate discs, since one of the eyes were 'made up'.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
3Dfan 3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco84 View Post
Hi guys.
I'm new to 3D and I have a quick question.
Does either the 2D or 3D quality of a movie suffer if they are on the same blu-ray disc?
For example: I want to get Men in Black 3 3D. It comes in a single disc set with both 2D and 3D versions on the same disc or a Quad pack where the 2D and 3D versions are on seperate discs.
Would the quad pack be superior (both 2D and 3D) because they are spread over 2 discs or is having both 2D and 3D on the same disc exactly the same quality?
I don't know about all cases, but on Disney's Tangled, they used clear baxkgrounds on the 3D version since you can see the depth and blurred backgrounds on the 2D version to show distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
NY Yankees 23 2 NY Yankees 23 2 is offline
Senior Member
 
NY Yankees 23 2's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Pennsylvania
31
259
597
15
31
Default

I am interested in this topic myself. I just enlarged the cover for the upcoming bluray release of "Dredd" and saw at the top of the "box" that it will have 2D and 3D on the same disc. Aren't the tech specs gonna suffer being that both versions will be on, I would hope, a single 50GB disc? What about bonus material, etc etc?
Samsung UN55D6300 - Panasonic BDT220 - Onkyo TX-NR616 - Harmony 880 -
Polk Audio CS1 - Polk Audio Monitor 50's - Polk Audio Monitor 30's - Polk Audio RM6751's - BIC F-12 Sub
Xbox One -NY Yankees 23 2 My For Sale Thread
Blu-rays I want Released: The Abyss, True Lies, Bad Boys 2, Private Parts & Open Range

Last edited by NY Yankees 23 2; 12-04-2012 at 11:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
BD3Dfan BD3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
BD3Dfan's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
130
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Yankees 23 2 View Post
I am interested in this topic myself. I just enlarged the cover for the upcoming bluray release of "Dredd" and saw at the top of the "box" that it will have 2D and 3D on the same disc. Aren't the tech specs gonna suffer being that both versions will be on, I would hope, a single 50GB disc? What about bonus material, etc etc?
If the movie has both 3D and 2D on one disc, it all comes from one encode. It's called the MVC (Multi-View Codec) and it encodes both the left and right eye images for 3D. If the 2D flag's on, or the TV's switched to 2D, one of the eyes is blocked and the single eye is used to play the moive.

However, this has varying levels of quality. For example, the 3D release of Underworld: Awakening has the 3D and 2D version on one disc. Since the image is optimised for 3D, however, the 2D picture quality suffers. This is what I heard, as many people commented on this.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
CALRina CALRina is offline
New Member
 
CALRina's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
45
10
Default

Does any one know whether these "3D and 2D on the same" blu-ray disc are able to be played on a standard non-3D blu-ray player? I just pre-ordered the Dredd 3D but wondered whether I can view it as I don't have a 3D blu-ray player yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
joenostalgia23 joenostalgia23 is offline
Power Member
 
joenostalgia23's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA
743
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRina View Post
Does any one know whether these "3D and 2D on the same" blu-ray disc are able to be played on a standard non-3D blu-ray player? I just pre-ordered the Dredd 3D but wondered whether I can view it as I don't have a 3D blu-ray player yet.
It will play.
That's why Lionsgate doesn't even release separate 2D only versions. They'll save money if they share the disc, and it'll encourage people to future proof because they'll still be able to watch in 2D.
If the 2D couldn't play in a regular BD player, then Lionsgate has ended screwing over the majority of BD users.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
joenostalgia23 joenostalgia23 is offline
Power Member
 
joenostalgia23's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA
743
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Yankees 23 2 View Post
I am interested in this topic myself. I just enlarged the cover for the upcoming bluray release of "Dredd" and saw at the top of the "box" that it will have 2D and 3D on the same disc. Aren't the tech specs gonna suffer being that both versions will be on, I would hope, a single 50GB disc? What about bonus material, etc etc?
Only one movie has had this problem, Underworld.

Movies such as Avatar, Coraline, ParaNorman, Step Up: Revolution(Lionsgate release, same people doing Dredd) all do this and they all have 4.5-5.0 PQ. Avatar doesn't have special features, but it's nearly 3 hours long. Coraline and ParaNorman have quite a lot of special features crammed in. Don't own Step Up, but Dredd doesn't seem like its trying to fit 4 hours of features in with it's 3D transfer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
CALRina CALRina is offline
New Member
 
CALRina's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
45
10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
Only one movie has had this problem, Underworld.

Movies such as Avatar, Coraline, ParaNorman, Step Up: Revolution(Lionsgate release, same people doing Dredd) all do this and they all have 4.5-5.0 PQ. Avatar doesn't have special features, but it's nearly 3 hours long. Coraline and ParaNorman have quite a lot of special features crammed in. Don't own Step Up, but Dredd doesn't seem like its trying to fit 4 hours of features in with it's 3D transfer.
ThanX for the info...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
3Dfan 3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
Only one movie has had this problem, Underworld.

Movies such as Avatar, Coraline, ParaNorman, Step Up: Revolution(Lionsgate .
Add "Tangled" to the list. I read the interviews with the filmmakers. They said for the 2D release to theatres they purposely blurred the background in order to show the distance when watching in 2D that they left clear in the 3D version at the theatres since you can see the distance in the 3D version with a clear background. (te original intention since it was made and filmed in 3D).

Watching the 3D version in 2D would not give you the original intent of seeing the distance while watching the 2D version in 2D would and watching the 3D version in 3D would.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
iamnoone iamnoone is online now
Senior Member
 
Sep 2012
Default

Hi there:

I have a similar question to all of this, and found this thread via a search. I am not equipped yet for 3-D, but I have a couple of 3-D Blu's that also include 2-D versions. One of them, FINAL DESTINATION 5, has the 3-D and 2-D versions on two separate discs. So if I put the 3-D version in my regular Blu player, I get some sort of error message saying I don't have the proper equipment.

However, I also have the 3-D Blu of SAW 7, which has both versions on the same disc. So when I put the disc in, the 2-D version plays on my regular Blu player. My question is, though, there is no mention on the menus of the 3-D version being on the disc at all, or any way to select which version. Am I to assume that if I had a 3-D player, it would detect that automatically and just play the 3-D version automatically? What if I had a 3-D player but I wanted to watch the movie in 2-D - would there be a way to select that? Sorry if this all sounds stupid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Nighteyes Nighteyes is offline
Senior Member
 
Nighteyes's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoone View Post
Am I to assume that if I had a 3-D player, it would detect that automatically and just play the 3-D version automatically? What if I had a 3-D player but I wanted to watch the movie in 2-D - would there be a way to select that? Sorry if this all sounds stupid.
If you play a 3D-only disc in a 3D player you can manually select 2D on your display. That is, unless the disc is mastered in such a way that switching to 2D is specifically diasabled. Some studios do that, like Fox, I think. Others, like Paramount, don't disable switching to 2D manually, even though they don't provide a menu option for 2D playback.

I believe that some 3D discs may also start up in 2D for that reason if 2D hardware is detected. Haven't tested it, though, just speculating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
iamnoone iamnoone is online now
Senior Member
 
Sep 2012
Default

Thanks Nighteyes!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.