Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dredd 3D (Blu-ray)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
Shrek 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Walk 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.50
5 hrs ago
Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.97

Drive Angry 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.88

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.89

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.05

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #41

Dec 2011
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
Only one movie has had this problem, Underworld.

Movies such as Avatar, Coraline, ParaNorman, Step Up: Revolution(Lionsgate release, same people doing Dredd) all do this and they all have 4.5-5.0 PQ. Avatar doesn't have special features, but it's nearly 3 hours long. Coraline and ParaNorman have quite a lot of special features crammed in. Don't own Step Up, but Dredd doesn't seem like its trying to fit 4 hours of features in with it's 3D transfer.
ThanX for the info...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #42

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
Only one movie has had this problem, Underworld.

Movies such as Avatar, Coraline, ParaNorman, Step Up: Revolution(Lionsgate .
Add "Tangled" to the list. I read the interviews with the filmmakers. They said for the 2D release to theatres they purposely blurred the background in order to show the distance when watching in 2D that they left clear in the 3D version at the theatres since you can see the distance in the 3D version with a clear background. (te original intention since it was made and filmed in 3D).

Watching the 3D version in 2D would not give you the original intent of seeing the distance while watching the 2D version in 2D would and watching the 3D version in 3D would.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #43
Special Member

Sep 2012

Hi there:

I have a similar question to all of this, and found this thread via a search. I am not equipped yet for 3-D, but I have a couple of 3-D Blu's that also include 2-D versions. One of them, FINAL DESTINATION 5, has the 3-D and 2-D versions on two separate discs. So if I put the 3-D version in my regular Blu player, I get some sort of error message saying I don't have the proper equipment.

However, I also have the 3-D Blu of SAW 7, which has both versions on the same disc. So when I put the disc in, the 2-D version plays on my regular Blu player. My question is, though, there is no mention on the menus of the 3-D version being on the disc at all, or any way to select which version. Am I to assume that if I had a 3-D player, it would detect that automatically and just play the 3-D version automatically? What if I had a 3-D player but I wanted to watch the movie in 2-D - would there be a way to select that? Sorry if this all sounds stupid.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #44
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoone View Post
Am I to assume that if I had a 3-D player, it would detect that automatically and just play the 3-D version automatically? What if I had a 3-D player but I wanted to watch the movie in 2-D - would there be a way to select that? Sorry if this all sounds stupid.
If you play a 3D-only disc in a 3D player you can manually select 2D on your display. That is, unless the disc is mastered in such a way that switching to 2D is specifically diasabled. Some studios do that, like Fox, I think. Others, like Paramount, don't disable switching to 2D manually, even though they don't provide a menu option for 2D playback.

I believe that some 3D discs may also start up in 2D for that reason if 2D hardware is detected. Haven't tested it, though, just speculating.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
Special Member

Sep 2012

Thanks Nighteyes!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #46

Dec 2012
Michigan
Question 3D blu-ray movies with the 2D and 3D version on the same disc

Is there a list on here that has the movies that share a same bluray for 2d and 3d? Just got a 3d tv and bluray player this weekend and looking to check redbox if anything is on the same disc. Thanks for any help
Old 05-27-2014, 02:25 AM   #47
Expert Member

Feb 2014
Michigan

Dredd has the 2d and 3d versions on the same disc. That's the only one that I know of for sure.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

There are quite a few but not many are in redbox. None in fact except dredd. Personally I'm not a fan of shared 2d/3d disc. I'm still pissed what they did to underworld 4.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, any Phish, the Last Castle, Clan of the Cavebear, Silver Bullet, Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer. Samsung pn51f8500 plasma active 3d, Vizio 42" LCD passive 3d, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I, Frankenstein, Pirahna 3DD, Underworld Awakening (in the UK) and Conan The Barbarian have both on the same disc, Hugo too.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 05-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #50
Power Member

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

House of Wax, and iirc all the Shreks have 2d/3d same disc besides the ones already mentioned, but then none of those are likely to be in Redbox. If you have a Family Video by you they usually have some 3D discs for rent.
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate Leads to suffering...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies