Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
Default I have never owned a plasma

Would you please give me some input?

I am a Samsung 55" B8000 LED owner for a few years. I want to increase the size of my TV to 65" which is the largest that can fit where it has to go.

I was ready to buy Samsung's new 65ES8000 LED but after reading forum threads regarding the ES7000 & 8000 LED's and all the troubles it has, I changed my mind. I then switched to Sony's new 65HX950 LED to discovered that it has almost the same problems as Samsung's.

A few days ago, I took a look at Samsung's 65E8000 which is Samsung's hi-end plasma. Once again, after reading forum threads regarding Samsung's plasma and the problems with loud buzzing and some kind of motion problem the guys are talking about, I thought I would take a look at Panasonic's 65VT50.

Today, I was able to look at the 65VT50 in between a Samsung ES8000 LED and the 70" Sharp Elite LED.

The VT50's black was very impressive and it made the Samsung look a little washed out. The Elite looked pretty good but I don't think it is worth twice the price of the VT50.

Now here is where I need you thought.

What are the problems with the Panasonic 65VT50? What should I be aware of when considering my first plasma?

Any motion, banding, buzzing, flash lighting, etc problems?

m

m
8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers
m SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Would you please give me some input?

I am a Samsung 55" B8000 LED owner for a few years. I want to increase the size of my TV to 65" which is the largest that can fit where it has to go.

I was ready to buy Samsung's new 65ES8000 LED but after reading forum threads regarding the ES7000 & 8000 LED's and all the troubles it has, I changed my mind. I then switched to Sony's new 65HX950 LED to discovered that it has almost the same problems as Samsung's.

A few days ago, I took a look at Samsung's 65E8000 which is Samsung's hi-end plasma. Once again, after reading forum threads regarding Samsung's plasma and the problems with loud buzzing and some kind of motion problem the guys are talking about, I thought I would take a look at Panasonic's 65VT50.

Today, I was able to look at the 65VT50 in between a Samsung ES8000 LED and the 70" Sharp Elite LED.

The VT50's black was very impressive and it made the Samsung look a little washed out. The Elite looked pretty good but I don't think it is worth twice the price of the VT50.

Now here is where I need you thought.

What are the problems with the Panasonic 65VT50? What should I be aware of when considering my first plasma?

Any motion, banding, buzzing, flash lighting, etc problems?

m

m
The only real problem that's been talked about with the Panasonics is their susceptibility to image retention/burn in. For whatever reason the Panny's are much more susceptible to it than the Samsungs. Having said that, there are Panasonic owners on here who've had no problem with it. Most reviewers give the edge to Samsungs on 3D viewing as well. Saying the Panny's display more crosstalk.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Dec 2009

I just got the 65VT50 two days ago. Gorgeous set. Breaking it in with full screen content -- no games, no watermarks. My last Panny buzzed off and on, especially with white on the screen, and it did have a moderate IR issue. I've had no problems with anything thus far on this one, though I have yet to test 3D content. It's sitting on a stand 6 inches from the wall, and it's quiet as a mouse. I can only hear fan noise if I put my head behind it.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada

Absolutely no problems with my Panny.
Burn in is not an issue with plasma.
I highly recommend the 65VT50.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Smart VIERA 3D HD Plasma,
Blu-ray Player:Panasonic DMP-BDT500,
Receiver:Pioneer Elite CS-57,
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Bell HD Satellite Desk top Receiver/PVR,
Remote:Harmony 650
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada

Here is a link to an article on "burn in",check it out.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...isons-mailbag/
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

Dec 2009

I purchased a Samsung PN58B860 about 3 years ago or so which is pictured here. No issues with burn in so far. The picture also hasn't skipped a beat. In fact, it continues to provide a true "wow" factor and no, I don't have the set in torch mode. :-) I will also add that while it may not have been needed I do run this screen protection feature once a month overnight which is supposed to assist in the prevention of burn in. Wide vertical white and grey bands appear on the screen, the image scrolling from left to right or whatever. Figure it certainly can't hurt. A fair number of hours have also been logged in playing Tiger Woods on both the Wii and PS3. Again, no issues with burn in to speak of.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Despite what some people have attacked me for on this forum (they swear Plasma's are perfect in every conceivable way, sorry every tech has its pros and cons), my Panny plasma gets image retention from time to time. My set is an 09 model, not the old. I've had a plasma before several years ago, Hitachi model, which the issue was much more prevalent.

Other than that which isn't a frequent issue, glare is sometimes an issue but mostly fixable with closing the blinds.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Despite what some people have attacked me for on this forum (they swear Plasma's are perfect in every conceivable way, sorry every tech has its pros and cons), my Panny plasma gets image retention from time to time. My set is an 09 model, not the old. I've had a plasma before several years ago, Hitachi model, which the issue was much more prevalent.

Other than that which isn't a frequent issue, glare is sometimes an issue but mostly fixable with closing the blinds.
Image retention is actually quite normal and should be expected. it's burn in that's pretty much been eliminated
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
Image retention is actually quite normal and should be expected. it's burn in that's pretty much been eliminated
I fully agree as I still notice IR even on new sets at stores.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

Sep 2011

I got a Panasonic TC-P50U50 last month and couldn't be more happy with it. I wish I'd bought it sooner. It can't be beat for $599...though I did just see it at Fry's for $549.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #11

Feb 2008

Absolutely no image retention or burn in on my samsung. The 3d is excellent, I would give it an edge over panasonic. (However when I tried both, I used the default normal setting for each, so with calibration, one could probably look better than the other but that'll take forever) However the buzzing sound is definitely there. It is quite obvious but after a while, especially since you're watching a movie or tv show, it'll be drowned out by the other sounds anyway. Hope that helped!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #12

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds1834 View Post
I will also add that while it may not have been needed I do run this screen protection feature once a month overnight which is supposed to assist in the prevention of burn in. Wide vertical white and grey bands appear on the screen, the image scrolling from left to right or whatever. Figure it certainly can't hurt.
Or you could also run one of the "break in" discs that can be found at AVS Forum, etc.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #13

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Terry View Post
Absolutely no problems with my Panny.
Burn in is not an issue with plasma.I highly recommend the 65VT50.
The cnet reviewers have highlighted otherwise:

http://asia.cnet.com/samsung-plasma-...t-62216457.htm
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #14

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliaBe View Post
The cnet reviewers have highlighted otherwise:

http://asia.cnet.com/samsung-plasma-...t-62216457.htm
I stand by my answer and I read that article you have the link to before I posted as part of my own research.In fact I have read a few other articles as well.

I know that you can't believe everything you read on your computer and that is why I read many many reviews and tech articles involving my system.

Here is a link to a good web vid-cast,
http://revision3.com/hdnation
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #15

Dec 2007
New York City
-

I own a 60ST50 same line as the VT50. I can tell you I am a heavy gamer and I have had zero issues with burn in whatsoever. Not to mention that the picture is absolutely gorgeous. I would just recommend what my calibrator suggested and that is content that will fill the entire screen for the first 200 hours of use. No gaming for the first 200 hours. Leave the pixel orbitor setting 'ON'. I was on the fence like you and worried about these issues but there is a reason that the Panny's are the TV's of the year across the board.
Panasonic TC-P60ST50 | Yamaha RX-V673 Receiver | Klipsch Quintet 7.2 Micro Theater | Klipsch SW-10 & KW-100 | Sony PS4 | QNAP TS-209 II NAS
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #16

Nov 2009
MD

I would get the plasma. IMO if you care about picture quality you'll go with the plasma. I've recommended Panny plasma's to multiple friends when they were in the market for a tv and all of them had extremely positive reviews. Like others have also said, leave the orbiter on and you don't really have to worry about burn in.
Display: Pioneer Elite Kuro Signature Series (PRO-101FD), Pioneer Kuro (PDP-5020FD), Pioneer Kuro (PDP-6010FD)
A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite (VSX-32)
Blu-ray Player: Pioneer Elite (BDP-52FD)
HD DVD Player: XBOX 360 Add-On
Additional: Playstation 3 40GB, Xbox 360S + Kinect
Protection: Monster HTS 3600 MKII
Xbox Live Gamertag: Lstreak
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs