COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays

Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver
Thumbs up Buying a new TV, would like some input.

So i've decided it's time to upgrade from my 2 year old Panasonic G25 50" to a bigger 3D enabled set. I normally upgrade every 2 - 3 years and I found out I'm getting a pretty big bonus at work so why not.. anyways on to helping me decide what to look at/for.

So right now im interested in a 60 or 65" screen. Currently have my eyes on the new Panasonic GT50 (or VT if it has a big difference over the GT), Samsung ES8000 series or the Sharp LC70LE845U. So i guess what i'm looking for is input into the pro's and cons of both & anything i've looked past.

I am going next week to test a few out, I'll be brining along a few blu-rays to test them out, make sure I like what I see. Also sometime early next year i'll get it professionally calibrated (not by Geek Squad...).

Anywho, any help would be great. Thanks everyone!
Fascinating... - Spock

There's ALWAYS money in the Banana Stand! - George Bluth

Son of a bit*h, I'm sick of these dolphins. - Steve Zissou
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #2

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada

I just keep saying to myself how great my Panny looks,the black is deep deep black and I did a colour calibration using settings from a link I posted earlier.
Beautiful picture and worth every penny.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Smart VIERA 3D HD Plasma,
Blu-ray Player:Panasonic DMP-BDT500,
Receiver:Pioneer Elite CS-57,
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Bell HD Satellite Desk top Receiver/PVR,
Remote:Harmony 650
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jan 2012

want my advice ? dont buy a TV, get a projector and you be the boss of your screen size. 3D is best on big screen! Go 100" or 120" or heck 150"!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3dfan View Post
want my advice ? dont buy a TV, get a projector and you be the boss of your screen size. 3D is best on big screen! Go 100" or 120" or heck 150"!
I would normally do this but I live in a condo where a projector wouldn't be practicall unfortunately. maybe when I get a house one day...
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforsilence View Post
I would normally do this but I live in a condo where a projector wouldn't be practicall unfortunately. maybe when I get a house one day...
I live in a small condo too and could easily fit a 120" screen. Can't beat the immersion, depth and popouts you get with a 3D projector! They are even cheaper than TV's!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

From what I've seen in person, the GT50 is a great set. I preferred the image quality and colours on the 8000 series Samsung.

The black levels are great on both sets, but again you'll be splitting hairs (I had seen the E8000 and VT50 side by side in the light controlled show room). I wasn't A/B viewing you wouldn't notice a difference. And I REALLY had to look in order to see.

I give the nod to the Panasonic for the black floor darkness of the blacks, but preferred colours and overall PQ of the Samsung.

I really tried to like the larger Sharps, but I couldn't pull the trigger. The colour uniformity was off on a lot of the sets that I had seen, and the corners were darker then the rest of the image on screen on the 70"+ models that I had viewed.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post
From what I've seen in person, the GT50 is a great set. I preferred the image quality and colours on the 8000 series Samsung.

The black levels are great on both sets, but again you'll be splitting hairs (I had seen the E8000 and VT50 side by side in the light controlled show room). I wasn't A/B viewing you wouldn't notice a difference. And I REALLY had to look in order to see.

I give the nod to the Panasonic for the black floor darkness of the blacks, but preferred colours and overall PQ of the Samsung.

I really tried to like the larger Sharps, but I couldn't pull the trigger. The colour uniformity was off on a lot of the sets that I had seen, and the corners were darker then the rest of the image on screen on the 70"+ models that I had viewed.
Thanks, this was really helpful! This coming week when I go test a few sets out i'll let you know my opinions!
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

So i checked out a few TV's the other night. Don't like any of the Samsungs.. I'm looking at the Panasonic GT50 or ST50. From what I’m reading both are the same except a few minor things like the GT having THX certification and such. I'll be getting whatever I buy calibrated so not really sure if I should spend the extra on the GT.. If they are the same picture quality wise... what does it matter? Any comments on this?
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Need some imput? How many? 4 HDMI's is nice these days, 2 USB's I guess? No one uses component/composite these days... you're not still using the Wii are ya?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Need some imput? How many? 4 HDMI's is nice these days, 2 USB's I guess? No one uses component/composite these days... you're not still using the Wii are ya?
I only need 1 HDMI plug as all my devices are plugged into my reciever then thats plugged into my tv. I don't have a wii.. I do have a Wii U though.. its HDMI so who cares.. lol. I'm looking at the 65" models.
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforsilence View Post
I only need 1 HDMI plug as all my devices are plugged into my reciever then thats plugged into my tv. I don't have a wii.. I do have a Wii U though.. its HDMI so who cares.. lol. I'm looking at the 65" models.
Wii U's out? Oh man, now I have to spend money again!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

I would go with either a Sony or Panasonic. I have no faith in either Samsung or LG. But in the end its your money and what you like.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I would go with either a Sony or Panasonic. I have no faith in either Samsung or LG. But in the end its your money and what you like.
It'll be a Panasonic ST50 65" or GT50 65". From what I've seen online the real big difference between the 2 is the THX certification on th GT. besides that, they are the same. So I'm leaning towards to ST because its $800 less & I can use some of that saved money for 3D eyeware & to get it callibrated.
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
i use component inputs for my xbox 360.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #15

Jan 2009

I was in the same situation as you. I have a 50G25 and I just got a 65 ST50, I love it so far. 100 hour panel prep with D-Nice settings, it looks awesome. I debated between the gt and the st. I ended up going with the st and buying a new sub too.
Panasonic 65" ST50 l Yamaha RX-V667 l Emotiva UPA-500 l Polk Audio Monitor 60's & 30's l Polk Audio CS1
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 l BIC America F12 l PS3 l Harmony 1100 l APC H15 l Logitech Revue
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays