Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2007
Chicago, IL
Send a message via AIM to DealsR4theDevil
Default HDMI port on DVR not working

I had a power outage (all of my equipment is plugged into a surge protector)

Now the HDMI for my DVR no longer works. The cable box seems to recognize that its plugged in through HDMI, but the TV doesnt recgnize it/wont display anything.

My PS3 works just fine through HDMI. I tried using other HDMI cords and ports on the TV. The DVR just wont work with it anymore. It has no trouble recognizing the PS3 on any port.

Any suggestions? The tech support was clueless, just told me to exchange DVRs. I have too many hours of recording to do this.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Aug 2012
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsR4theDevil View Post
I had a power outage (all of my equipment is plugged into a surge protector)

Now the HDMI for my DVR no longer works. The cable box seems to recognize that its plugged in through HDMI, but the TV doesnt recgnize it/wont display anything.

My PS3 works just fine through HDMI. I tried using other HDMI cords and ports on the TV. The DVR just wont work with it anymore. It has no trouble recognizing the PS3 on any port.

Any suggestions? The tech support was clueless, just told me to exchange DVRs. I have too many hours of recording to do this.
Obviously something happened there. Did you unplug the DVR to give it a good, hard reboot?

Assuming it's a rental / cablebox unit (not a TiVo), you'll want to get it swapped, but in the meantime, hook up Component video instead. You probably won't see any difference in quality - but you may have to adjust your TV's settings for the component input to get it to look 'right'.

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Have you tried plugging something else into the HDMI slot that your DVR is currently plugged into, it could also be that the specific HDMI slot on your TV is shot.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion