Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
Default I have 3 possibilities--need your feedback!

I have owned a Samsung UN55B8000 LED for a few years and love it.

Now, I want to enlarge to a 65" and was excited to get the new UN65ES8000 LED UNTIL reading every inch of the Samsung ES8000 thread and every complaint. The words stand out "PANEL LOTTERY". I never win anything. So, I said No to the 65ES8000.

My journey lead me to consider the new 55" OLEDs that were to come out this year. My thinking was: Maybe a 55" would be OK if it had a top notch PQ as the OLEDs were going to have. BUT they are not coming out this year and who knows when????

Then the new Sony 65HX950. But they have the same problems as the Samsung and also cost $5,000.00.

The 70" is too big for my TV spot but maybe the Sharp 60" Elite would do it. Fantastic PQ, great TV BUT it seems like moving from a 55" to a 60" is not worth the cost or trouble (I have to redesign a cabinet to go bigger than a 55" TV). Moving from a 55' to a 65" is a big move and would be worth it. Too bad there isn't an Elite 65".

Next the Samsung 65E8000 plasma. I have never owned a plasma. That might work for me??? I read many threads to find out Samsung has a bad buzzing and movement problem. So much so, I said No to the 64E8000

Today, I went to Paul's TV to look at the Pioneer 65VT50. Seems like a great TV. Doesn't look like there are many problems with it and it is rated the Best TV for 2012. I took a couple Blus to watch: Shall We Dance. There is a scene where I have marveled how crisp, sharp and almost 3D like it is. Also a dark scene in Avatar that I know very well. Both were played and both looked good. I switched from Vivid mode to THX to make sure I received a good understanding of this fine TV.

I rush right home and played both scenes with my 55B8000. The blacks of the VT50 might be a little better and watching the scene in Shall We Dance was almost 3D like vs the VT50's film like. I love the almost 3D effect. I think that is called the "Soap Opera" look?? In Avatar, because it wasn't so dark, I could see more detail.

MY DISCOVERY
I want the 65ES8000 LED. The Elite would be good but I do not want to downsize from what I am hoping to do and that is go 65". But in the big picture would the 60" Elite be that good that I would forget the missing 5 inches????

1) With all of it's problems: Do I take a chance and buy the Samsung 65ES8000 LED and keep returning it back until I get a good one. Maybe, I would never get a good 65ES8000 and end up owning a TV that I am not happy with.

2) OR do I not go 65" but go smaller to the 60" Elite?

3) OR do I wait until 2013 to see what Samsung does?

HELP, please give me feed back on my three possibilities

m
8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers
m SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Sorry this isn't specific to your three options but ...

1. I think you wrote off plasma too quickly. The buzzing sound you referred to is not a technical problem - my Kuro is noisy and always has been.
2. I think you should make your choice based not only on size but also based on your viewing habits/preferences. I say this based on ...
Quote:
The blacks of the VT50 might be a little better and watching the scene in Shall We Dance was almost 3D like vs the VT50's film like. I love the almost 3D effect. I think that is called the "Soap Opera" look??
Key words being "3D-like" and "film-like".

I don't think any current TV tech gives you both ???
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Sorry this isn't specific to your three options but ...

1. I think you wrote off plasma too quickly. The buzzing sound you referred to is not a technical problem - my Kuro is noisy and always has been.
2. I think you should make your choice based not only on size but also based on your viewing habits/preferences. I say this based on ...

Key words being "3D-like" and "film-like".

I don't think any current TV tech gives you both ???
I agree no TV gives both. What I said was: "watching the scene in Shall We Dance was almost 3D like vs the VT50's film like". I was comparing two technologies: My Samsung LED as being more 3D like vs the Pioneer VT50 more film like.

Did I write off plasma too soon? I might have but if I like the sharp; soap opera; 3-D like picture, would I ever like the Plasma film-like picture. I would hate to gamble $3500 and make a mistake.

m
Speakers
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500

Last edited by JimShaw; 12-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I agree no TV gives both. What I said was: "watching the scene in Shall We Dance was almost 3D like vs the VT50's film like". I was comparing two technologies: My Samsung LED as being more 3D like vs the Pioneer VT50 more film like.
when you mean "more 3D like" are you talking about that horrible "motion Flow" technology that makes it look almost like a "soap opera" if you know what I mean?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
when you mean "more 3D like" are you talking about that horrible "motion Flow" technology that makes it look almost like a "soap opera" if you know what I mean?

Yes, I think that might be it.

I kind-of-like the feel of actually being in the movie by way of the "soap opera" effect vs of having the feel of being in a theater sitting, watching a film.

Like I said, I have never owned a plasma and the sharp, 3-D effect is what I am used to.
Speakers
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:

I kind-of-like the feel of actually being in the movie by way of the "soap opera" effect vs of having the feel of being in a theater sitting, watching a film.

Like I said, I have never owned a plasma and the sharp, 3-D effect is what I am used to.
well, different strokes I guess but that's just frame interpolation that can be turned off and on rather than a permanent feature. The VT doesn't have it if I'm correct (but I know the ST and GT series does)

picture wise you're gonna have a VERY hard time beating a top tier plasma from say Sammy or Panny. they have the best blacks on the market (panny especially) and the best color reproduction on the market (plus the fact that panny has the lowest defect rate of any manufacturer).

on a side note, DON'T make a decision off of floor models, make if off of calibrated models that you can demo in house... makes a WORLD of difference.

Vivid is also one of the WORST modes to demo a disc in. it'll blast all the colors to hell and back and wash detail away. it'll make the colors all bright on the showroom floor, and draws attention to itself but it's one of the worst modes to actually watch someothing on.

Last edited by wormraper; 12-06-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:

If you like the soap opera look, then plasma is definitely NOT for you.
As you noticed, plasma have film-like picture while LED, and LCD have the soap opera look.

I love film-like look. Therefore, my TV will always be a plasma.
I hate the soap opera look. Therefore, I don't like LCD and LED TVs.
Adopted Blu-ray long before its development and launch.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigneur_rayden View Post
As you noticed, plasma have film-like picture while LED, and LCD have the soap opera look.

LED's and LCD's can look just as "film like" it just takes a few buttons in the menu to turn off the post processing. LED's/LCD's have a MYRIAD of other issues that I won't go into but they can look just as "filmlike" as a plasma
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigneur_rayden View Post

I wish that I was in your shoes with the film-look like. My choice would be easy, the 64VT50.
Speakers
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Banned

Feb 2008
Magic Kingdom, FL
Send a message via AIM to ixlegitballinxl

I don't know enough about those models to give you input.

Food for thought though.... Prices on TV's are at their lowest in January. Whichever you decide, I'd wait till then to make the purchase!

I've bought 6 lcd/led tv's for the past 4-5 years... I've always wanted to try a plasma... I just can't get over the screen glare....
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlegitballinxl View Post

Food for thought though.... Prices on TV's are at their lowest in January. Whichever you decide, I'd wait till then to make the purchase!

I've bought 6 lcd/led tv's for the past 4-5 years... I've always wanted to try a plasma... I just can't get over the screen glare....
January, thanks. Good suggestion.

All top panels seem to have screen glare
Speakers
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlegitballinxl View Post

get an ST or VT with the anti-glare coating, works wonders
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
LED's and LCD's can look just as "film like" it just takes a few buttons in the menu to turn off the post processing. LED's/LCD's have a MYRIAD of other issues that I won't go into but they can look just as "filmlike" as a plasma
Not as good as the plasma film-like
No matter how much post processing is turned off on a LCD and LED, they still have less of a film-like image in my eyes.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Today, I finally made a decision It will be the Elite.

But I let my wife decide on size because she is the decorator. She chose the 70." I love that woman.
Speakers
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Today, I finally made a decision It will be the Elite.

But I let my wife decide on size because she is the decorator. She chose the 70." I love that woman.
Congratulations on making the decision and on the new TV. Please post pictures when you get it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs