Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
4 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
9 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #21

Nov 2011
The Granite State

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
and by the "bose" of the tv world I mean the kin of company who has nothing better than their competition usually and says "well we're SONY.. that's why we charge 200x the prices !!

basically their "brand name" is about the ONLY thing that makes them better their completion. so really they ain't bad... but the term "sony" doesn't stand for the "instant image of quality" they had 20 years ago
Funny you said that...it made me laugh and think of my neighbor.

He owns a Bose Wave Radio (and proud of it) and won't own any TV other than a Sony...because "they are the best".
Samsung 50A550 Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha RX-V765
APC H15 Conditioner
Fronts : Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Center : Monitor Audio Bronze BX1
Rears : Energy Veritas V-Mini
Subwoofer : PSB Subsonic II
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole 46 View Post

He owns a Bose Wave Radio (and proud of it) and won't own any TV other than a Sony...because "they are the best".
Back in 2000 I was looking for a television, and crossed Pioneer plasma off my list - it was $10,000 for a 50 inch. So I looked at Sony, Mitsubishi, and every other brand out there. I wound up with a 70" rear projection Sony, because it stood head and shoulders above everything else - except the Pioneer. It was clearly better than the Mitsubishi equivalent.

In 2007, I was looking for a flat screen, and went through every brand out there - Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc. DLP was just off the list. I searched for two months, actually looking at screens, and wound up with another Sony, an XBR. It was the best out there at the time.

Two years later, I broke down and bought the Pioneer Kuro 60". It was better than the Sony.

In twelve years, I'm on my third bulb for the Sony rear projection. None of the TV's has ever had a service issue of any kind.

Comparing them, or their track record of performance, to Bose just sounds bitter and strange.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
Expert Member

Oct 2006

I hope they make a decent oled giant screen before they try to phase out front projectors.
JVC RS40 projector / 118 inch Carada screen
Panasonic BDT-500 3D blu-ray player
Yamaha 1800 receiver
Infinity Primus 360 front towers
Infinity Beta C360 center speaker
4 Infinity 160 surround speakers
SVS PC 13 Ultra sub
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole 46 View Post

Well I am with your neighbor.......I wont own any other tv but a Sony because I to think they are the best. Nothing wrong with that because to each is own as they say.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Back in 2000 I was looking for a television, and crossed Pioneer plasma off my list - it was $10,000 for a 50 inch. So I looked at Sony, Mitsubishi, and every other brand out there. I wound up with a 70" rear projection Sony, because it stood head and shoulders above everything else - except the Pioneer. It was clearly better than the Mitsubishi equivalent.

In 2007, I was looking for a flat screen, and went through every brand out there - Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc. DLP was just off the list. I searched for two months, actually looking at screens, and wound up with another Sony, an XBR. It was the best out there at the time.

Two years later, I broke down and bought the Pioneer Kuro 60". It was better than the Sony.

In twelve years, I'm on my third bulb for the Sony rear projection. None of the TV's has ever had a service issue of any kind.

Comparing them, or their track record of performance, to Bose just sounds bitter and strange.
that's not to say Sony is bad... but to go off of nothing but personal experience is only part of teh picture. you have to look at their overall statistics... Heck sony's defect rate is actually higher than both Panasonic and Vizio's defect rate. The only 2 that have a higher defect rate is Samsung and Westinghouse. I know someone who has had 2 westinghouse TV's and has had ZERO problem with them. However Westy has the highest failure rate in the market with a whopping 8%... we could go off of my buddies good luck streak with them as "proof" of their quality but that would be a misnomer because the stats wouldn't back it up.

Also look at Sony's lack of innovation in the last 10 years on the market. Their XBR line which used to DOMINATE The market has fallen drastically behind in both quality (the last several years have been plagued with bad circuit boards and mediocre blacks), and innovation. Right now Panny and Samsung (as much as I dislike Samsung) have been leading the way with new internal features and innovations into the 120hz LCD market... now is that Sony is trash? of course not, but they constantly price themselves higher than all the other TV mfg's for the same product riding on the "because we'er SONY!!" mantra as reason. Nothing wrong with that strategy if it works for them, it's marketing at it's finest, but the savvy shopper doesn't look at marketing, he looks at overall price for quality and what benefits it has.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #26
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
I hope they make a decent oled giant screen before they try to phase out front projectors.
+1. And at a lower-than-five-figures price please.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #27

Nov 2011
The Granite State

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well I am with your neighbor.......I wont own any other tv but a Sony because I to think they are the best. Nothing wrong with that because to each is own as they say.
If you are like my neighbor...You didn't mention how you like your Bose Wave Radio ?

(By the way, I have NO issues with Sony, they make fine stuff)
My first "great TV" was a Sony Trinitron.

With my neighbor, (he is NO "A/V Guy")...so he bought into the Bose Marketing (thinking they're the best).

And with Sony, their Marketing and Leadership from 20+ years ago made them #1. When you thought of Electronics, you thought of Sony.
He just hasn't caught up with today's Electronics.
There are "other" fine Companies out there today, but because of the Sony Brand reputation,...
He will dismiss "other" quality brands and say..."Oh, you can't do better than Sony".
Which I think is rather unfair.
Samsung 50A550 Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha RX-V765
APC H15 Conditioner
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Re all this Sony/Bose talk: It would be nice if we could re-focus back to the ostensible thread topic of the Mitsu news and semi-related discussion.

Is anyone else looking to upgrade in light of the news? I have a 73-incher and am looking to now get an 82. OLED and 4k are at least a few years into the future for even well-heeled buyers; you still can't do 80+ plasma at a price that's comparable to a DLP of that size; and my sense is that you have to get the best, still-pricier-than-DLP LCD to rival modest/entry level plasma. I also need to spend some time checking up on the latest in 3D front projectors. I just learned of this one from Mitsu:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...-dlp-projector

Ironic that Mitsu's announcement came right AFTER Black Friday Week during which there were strong deals on Mitsu DLPs. I suspect that word of their ceasing DLP production was afoot way before last week--I've seen anecdotal reports in AVS threads of folks in various spots across the country finding no DLPs starting about a month ago in showrooms that used to carry them.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
dear god, I hope to heaven they don't try to phase out front projectors. we're a LONG way off from 136 inch screens with OLED etc
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #30

Nov 2011
The Granite State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Re all this Sony/Bose talk: It would be nice if we could re-focus back to the ostensible thread topic of the Mitsu news and semi-related discussion.
Sorry, My Bad.
Samsung 50A550 Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha RX-V765
APC H15 Conditioner
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #31

Dec 2009
Jackson, MS

This news makes me sad. I love my 60" Mitsu. I also have a 40" Sony LCD, a 32" Samsung LED and the 24" Playstation display. While the LCD and LED are better for broadcast and the PS display better for games (naturally), none of them beat the Mitsu for watching blu-rays. It just has a natural, filmic quality, and the 3D is superb.
Last five watched: Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (10/10) / Rise of the Planet of the Apes (8/10) / The Nightmare Before Christmas (9/10) / Dr. Strangelove (10/10) / Edge of Tomorrow 3D (10/10)

PSN ID and Xbox One Gamertag: cseunuch

Now Playing: Forza 5, TitanFall, Ryse: Son of Rome (One), Driveclub (PS4), Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #32

Aug 2011
...in the shadows

I was surprised they were able to hold on as long as they did once Samsung excited the DLP market.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion