COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Brick Mansions (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
The Showdown (Blu-ray)
$37.95
Stalingrad 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.49
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Lucy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Disney Parks: The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sabrina (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Riverside, CA
Default Plasma power consumption?

Getting pretty close to buying a new TV, and am really leaning towards a plasma (first one ever). Most likely Panasonic. I really like all the reviews I've read.

One of my only concerns, is power consumption. Reviews have said plasmas use a lot of energy. With that said, is there a dollar amount that can be placed on how much more expensive it is to use a plasma TV instead of LED? (monthly, yearly)

I do play video games a lot, and watch sports (including channels that have logos constantly on the bottom) and would refrain from that while I'm breaking it in. Is breaking in a plasma very necessary? And if I did, what would be the best way to do so?

Sorry so many questions, which leads to my last and Titled question. In this whole process, how much energy would I be running up trying to "break-in" and properly configure a plasma TV? (I will calibrate eventually)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3sTc0asTr1daH View Post
Getting pretty close to buying a new TV, and am really leaning towards a plasma (first one ever). Most likely Panasonic. I really like all the reviews I've read.

One of my only concerns, is power consumption. Reviews have said plasmas use a lot of energy. With that said, is there a dollar amount that can be placed on how much more expensive it is to use a plasma TV instead of LED? (monthly, yearly)

I do play video games a lot, and watch sports (including channels that have logos constantly on the bottom) and would refrain from that while I'm breaking it in. Is breaking in a plasma very necessary? And if I did, what would be the best way to do so?

Sorry so many questions, which leads to my last and Titled question. In this whole process, how much energy would I be running up trying to "break-in" and properly configure a plasma TV? (I will calibrate eventually)
plasma's used to be HUGE power hogs back in the day, today they are much leaner and cleaner... right now they only use on average about twice the power of an LED... the average yearly cost for a panny plasma is about $23 per year while the average cost of an LED is about $11-13 per year
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #3

Dec 2008
Riverside, CA

Appreciate the response Worm!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

The difference equates to one 100watt light bulb a year.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs