Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #21
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2nst View Post
it sounds like you need to have the "motion lighting" setting set to off (in the advanced settings sub-menu and the "LED motion plus" set to off (in the picture options sub menu. it hard to say without seeing your tv in front of me. or it could be as you describe it the effect of the full array led backlight. i know that sometimes dark scenes look not as bright even if there is a line of white text on the screen (the white seems white but dull) and it scenes with more lighter colors and/or white it is glowing bright...that is because the full array led backlight is split into quadrants and individually dims or brightens according to what is being shown on that particular area of the screen. again it is hard to say without seeing your tv in front of me and you describing it to me in person. hope this helps....if all else fails....check the beginning of this thread where i recommend the Disney WOW blu ray hdtv calibration disc. it DOES make a difference and helps alot.
Yup, motion lighting and motion plus are off as well. My only gripe is the bright-dark flickering, which is annoying when, for instance, a person walks down a partially-lit cave: The light in the scene changes with the light on the TV. It reminds me of old VHS copyguards and is really distracting.

I'm beginning to debate getting an LCD instead since this LED backlight seems to be hurting more than helping. Do you think that's a better option?

The only salvation (it seems as of now) is to be in "Movie Mode" but the rest of the picture is dull no matter what I do with the settings. I wouldn't know where to get a Disney WOW BD but I suppose it would help me adjust after enabling Movie Mode.

I know everyone sees differently and the lighting in my small room is a factor but your settings were perfect; the changing darkness is my last big annoyance.

Quote:
...but i notice when streaming video on my ps3 usinfg amazon instant video (equivalent to netflix) the image quality and motion is slightly blurry, pixelated, and juddered) so Blu ray is the best possible source for the picture settings i have.
I had that trouble using my XBox 360 Netflix - as well as the bright/dark flickering - but it was worse before I switched to Movie Mode and played with the other settings. It's connected via component as my XBox has no HDMI since it's old.

Quote:
...and wear bulletproof coke bottles on my face O_O
Nice!

Thanks again for your help and for responding back! I'm going to fiddle more with Movie Mode and see if I can get something that works just as well as your settings did.
Evil Spelled Backwards is Live

My 2014 Halloween Watchlist

Last edited by Dellamorte13; 12-05-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #22

Jan 2008

i hear what you are saying but but i tried a movie like indiana jones ( only movie i can think of off the bat that has a man walking through partially lit cave ) and i didnt seem to get any kind of flickering (except from the torch...which i think is normal) so i dont know if its another setting on your tv or if something is not working correctly. the only other thing i can suggest is calling a tech rep from samsung and see what they say. (ps..i got the disney WOW calibration disc @ amazon)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
Thanks for asking!
If you mean to use HDMI cords instead of component cords then yes, it's already that way. I couldn't find anything in the options menu or on the remote if that's what you meant.

car2nast's settings are the best I've seen, however now I can't seem to shake that pesky automatic brightening/darkening during dark scenes thing.

If Movie Mode is selected, it goes away, however the PQ begins to suffer again. I'm getting sick of messing with my remote.

I'm seriously thinking of taking it back but I doubt there's any other options but to get my money back.

car2nst, are you there? Do you have any recommendations?
No, my neighbor's TV was hooked by way of an HDMI cable. The TV looked BAD. His son stopped by and went into the menu and swithed to HDMI and the TV was beautiful.
8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers
m SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
i hear what you are saying but but i tried a movie like indiana jones ( only movie i can think of off the bat that has a man walking through partially lit cave ) and i didnt seem to get any kind of flickering (except from the torch...which i think is normal) so i dont know if its another setting on your tv or if something is not working correctly. the only other thing i can suggest is calling a tech rep from samsung and see what they say. (ps..i got the disney WOW calibration disc @ amazon)
Try watching any of the Batman movies (except Schumacher's). I'm sure you'll see it then but be careful because you'll always notice it from then on!
It's not a flickering, just more of a quick change in contrast. If it's dark and someone walks past the camera, it's even more noticeable and annoying.

I'm also getting sick of how you can't be anywhere in the room, except directly in front of it to get good picture. If you're a few inches to the left or right, the picture ends up looking very washed out.

I'm close to returning it to Target but I'm curious if LCDs have the same issues. How this TV is so highly recommended, will never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
No, my neighbor's TV was hooked by way of an HDMI cable. The TV looked BAD. His son stopped by and went into the menu and swithed to HDMI and the TV was beautiful.
I still can't find this menu anywhere. Unless he's talking about some initial setup menu.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
I still can't find this menu anywhere. Unless he's talking about some initial setup menu.
Menu? I don't know your TV. I may have used the wrong word. Go into the setup area.
8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers
m SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers
m SVS PB13-Ultra (1)
m HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PD64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #26

Jan 2008

i think i might have found your answer. ive forgotten about this option. in the menu scroll down to "plug and play" then scroll all the way down to eco solution. select that and turn it off and then turn off the eco sensor. i believe that adjust the backlight sensor that adjusts to the lighting. i have had no flickering problems with any batman movies. that would be my last effort...otherwise your tv may be defective. thats all i can think of.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #27
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Menu? I don't know your TV. I may have used the wrong word. Go into the setup area.
There's nothing in any of the menus about changing to HDMI.

Quote:
i think i might have found your answer. ive forgotten about this option. in the menu scroll down to "plug and play" then scroll all the way down to eco solution. select that and turn it off and then turn off the eco sensor. i believe that adjust the backlight sensor that adjusts to the lighting. i have had no flickering problems with any batman movies. that would be my last effort...otherwise your tv may be defective. thats all i can think of.
Anything eco-related is all off.
I'm watching Batman ('89) right now and right at 13:36 when Knox is shaking Vale's hand it flickers really bad right before she sits back down. Now, that is the best example of this TV at its worst!

I was told that Samsung LEDs have bright backlighting (squares?) or something within the TV itself and that it's a common problem because these TVs are best/designed for brighter rooms. My room is bright but not that dark.

Check out Batman and see what I mean.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #28

Jan 2008

just watched that part. its the source material. i just paused it and played framed by frame. its the same frame. i wouldnt worry about it... remember tim burtons batman is a catalogue title and a decent but not best transfer. i have not seen this happen on any other newer movie. if yours does this with newer movies it may be a defective tv. thats all i got for ya man. i love the the tv. if you dont, its your call. its by no means the absolute best star trek holodeck top of the line tv.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

I just called Samsung and they're going to send a technician out in the next few days to check everything out. I do seem to remember this happening on some newer movies but for some reason it happens very little in TDKR so you may be right about it being older movies with poor remastering.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially you, car2nst and I will keep updating as things happen.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #30

Dec 2012

Dellamorte13
Scroll down to support which is the last one. Select " HD Connection Guide". This should allow you the Check " HDMI".

Last edited by rwalsh; 12-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalsh View Post
Dellamorte13
Scroll down to support which is the last one. Select " HD Connection Guide". This should allow you the Check " HDMI".
Cool, thanks! I'll check it out once I get home tonight.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #32

Dec 2012

Quote:
Try watching any of the Batman movies (except Schumacher's). I'm sure you'll see it then but be careful because you'll always notice it from then on!
It's not a flickering, just more of a quick change in contrast. If it's dark and someone walks past the camera, it's even more noticeable and annoying.

I'm also getting sick of how you can't be anywhere in the room, except directly in front of it to get good picture. If you're a few inches to the left or right, the picture ends up looking very washed out.

I'm close to returning it to Target but I'm curious if LCDs have the same issues. How this TV is so highly recommended, will never know.

What he is saying is he opened the Service menu and powered off. This Resets everything to the Factory Defaults. You than start over and have the Option for "Store Mode" vs "Home Mode" and where you have the option to Check HDMI. You can "Google" entering the Service menu and find all you need. Just don't touch anything in the Service Menu.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
What he is saying is he opened the Service menu and powered off. This Resets everything to the Factory Defaults. You than start over and have the Option for "Store Mode" vs "Home Mode" and where you have the option to Check HDMI. You can "Google" entering the Service menu and find all you need. Just don't touch anything in the Service Menu.
When I hit HD Connection guide or reset the TV, all I get is the message about how to connect to the TV via HDMI/component. It won't allow me to change anything.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #34

Dec 2012

Quote:
When I hit HD Connection guide or reset the TV, all I get is the message about how to connect to the TV via HDMI/component. It won't allow me to change anything.
My mistake. Just cut the TV off, Press "mute,1, 8, 2, and Power" quickly. The TV will start back up in the Service Menu. Do not mess with any settings, just power off again. When you do this, the TV returns to the original Factory settings as if you just bought it. Make sure to write all settings down prior to this step. You will be able to select "Home Mode", Store Mode, Time, and a menu to select " HDMI". Before you do this look on "Google" and type in Samsung, mute 1 8 2 power and you will get a lot of info on how to do this.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #35
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

Quote:
My mistake. Just cut the TV off, Press "mute,1, 8, 2, and Power" quickly. The TV will start back up in the Service Menu. Do not mess with any settings, just power off again. When you do this, the TV returns to the original Factory settings as if you just bought it. Make sure to write all settings down prior to this step. You will be able to select "Home Mode", Store Mode, Time, and a menu to select " HDMI". Before you do this look on "Google" and type in Samsung, mute 1 8 2 power and you will get a lot of info on how to do this.
Thanks! I'll check it out when I get home tomorrow.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #36

Dec 2012
Default Led calibration

Greetings. I just bought a Samsung led tv model ue46es6300 full HD, 3D. But I need a good Calibration settings. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #37

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Talete View Post
Greetings. I just bought a Samsung led tv model ue46es6300 full HD, 3D. But I need a good Calibration settings. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Go on the AVS Forum, there is plenty Info about Calibration settings there. Look for " Official Samsung UNxxEH6000 Owner's Thread".

Last edited by rwalsh; 12-11-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #38
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California
Red face

So I didn't end up going through the menu but I switched to movie mode although I had to mess with the settings a lot and the picture doesn't have that bright look to it but that's okay for now. I'm thinking that once I move into a brighter place it will look better.
Anyone else think this is possible?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #39

Dec 2012

rwalsh thank you for your answer. I'll take a closer look.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #40
Expert Member

Jun 2011
N. California

That's it! I've had it with this TV! I still can't get a decent picture from it so I am going to return it to the store from whence it came!

Can anyone recommend a good 47" HDTV that doesn't have this problem?

It has to be in the $700-$750 price range, 120hz, non-3D, 1080p (of course) and not a Samsung!

I'm thinking of an LG or a Panasonic but don't know which models are the best.

(I'm still keeping the TV until the technician comes out on the 29th but I think he's just going to tell me what I've read on the countless forums I've been on).

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs