Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
10 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
12 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA
Default 'Alice in Wonderland 2' - Sequel to the Tim Burton Film

Quote:
Disney Developing ALICE IN WONDERLAND Sequel with Returning Screenwriter Linda Woolverton

When a movie grosses over a billion dollars in the worldwide box office, like Disney’s Alice in Wonderland back in 2010, you can pretty much guarantee a sequel is on the way. That seems to be the case for Alice, because screenwriter Linda Woolverton is reportedly penning the sequel. Woolverton wrote the original Tim Burton picture, which starred Mia Wasikowska in the title role and Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. Her latest effort, Maleficent, is currently in post-production. Variety reports that she also wrote the script for a stage play and musical adaptation of the 2010 Alice in Wonderland, which is to be directed by Rob Ashford. The sequel’s details are obviously being kept under wraps, but keep an eye on this one for future developments. Hit the jump to see the trailer and poster from the original film.
Source
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Great--Since they already went ahead and used a little of "Through the Looking Glass" in the first movie to Make Crap Up, that's out of the way and the sequel's now an excuse for Linda to 100% COMPLETELY Make Crap Up!

(Wonder who's going to direct it, though--Sounds like this could be Tim's Last Stand at Disney; they're going with What Works, and they're not taking any chances...)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

I know I'm in the minority in regards to the Tim Burton version, but I really enjoyed the first one, so I'd welcome a sequel. I don't think it's exactly necessary, but I'd still welcome it. I'm also in the minority in regards to Tim Burton, so I'd be happy if he directed it again.
Last Watched: White Men Can't Jump | Transformers: Age of Extinction
Last Bought: My Darling Clementine | The Shooting / Ride in the Whirlwind
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2008
Victorville, CA

I'm more interested in Maleficent.
3D Blu-ray Player/Media Center: PS3 Gunmetal MGS4 LE (upgraded to 500GB)
PSN ID:TurnDa643
Gamecube Games: 1080 Avalanche and Mario Golf Toadstool Tour.
Audio: Sony HT-SS2000 HTiB
Video: Sharp Aquos 60" 1080p 120hz lcd hdtv
DVD's: <downsizing>
Next Upgrade: Sharp Aquos 80" LCD HDTV, Pioneer/Klipsch 7.1 surround system.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no [pause for breath] no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

Although I hate the first one, the reason I'm angry is the fact that we almost made it with one film making a load of money and not having a sequel made out of it.
Remaining Films of 2014 I'll check out: Men, Women and Children. St. Vincent. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Dumb and Dumber To. Exodus: Gods and Kings. Big Eyes. Unbroken.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood. Calvary. Mr. Turner. Mommy. Frank. Godzilla. Nightcrawler. Gone Girl. Interstellar. The Raid 2. The Rover. The LEGO Movie. Under the Skin.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
I know I'm in the minority in regards to the Tim Burton version, but I really enjoyed the first one, so I'd welcome a sequel. I don't think it's exactly necessary, but I'd still welcome it. I'm also in the minority in regards to Tim Burton, so I'd be happy if he directed it again.
Considering the first movie made a billion at the box office, I doubt you are in the minority on enjoying it it's just that like usual the few who did not like it just make the most noise about it and just can't stop themselves always complaining about it
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

I liked it but I don't see how they'd make a sequel work.
setup:
40" Sony XBR4
PS3 320GB(originally 60GB) with 500GB external
PSN: JD777
been Blu since January 12th of '07
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

Jun 2012

It had a lot of problems, main problem was it wasn't an Alice movie, it was a Hatter movie. Other problem was it wasn't that visually interesting which for a Wonderland movie is just inexcusable. I'd far rather see that Living In Neon Dreams concept brought back to life, it sounded much more interesting.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Ew.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

Sep 2008
Belgium

The first movie was a disgrace to Mr Carroll. No need to hurt him even more, or us, for that matter.
"He had been sitting on his couch? Holy sh*t look at the size of that guy, Dicky! I want to buy a couch like him!" - Micky Ward [The Fighter]
Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
My only issue with the first film were the "real world" bookends. They seemed tacked on and that gave the ending little weight. That aside, I'd welcome a sequel.

But I'd trade this sequel for a sequel to Snow White & the Huntsman.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Am I the only one who thought the lead character acted badly?Wonder if I'll go see this one too...
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
Considering the first movie made a billion at the box office, I doubt you are in the minority on enjoying it it's just that like usual the few who did not like it just make the most noise about it and just can't stop themselves always complaining about it
I guess I should have included the point about being in the minority here like I meant it to come off as. Obviously you're right about the movie not making a billion dollars by accident.
Last Watched: White Men Can't Jump | Transformers: Age of Extinction
Last Bought: My Darling Clementine | The Shooting / Ride in the Whirlwind
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #14

Mar 2009
Bucharest, Romania

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan but I don't really see a point to this sequel...it was a very weak movie. I would rather see a Burton sequel to Beetlejuice (i've read that it could happen).
Rule The Planet
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #15

Aug 2012
chased away

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Great--Since they already went ahead and used a little of "Through the Looking Glass" in the first movie to Make Crap Up, that's out of the way and the sequel's now an excuse for Linda to 100% COMPLETELY Make Crap Up!

(Wonder who's going to direct it, though--Sounds like this could be Tim's Last Stand at Disney; they're going with What Works, and they're not taking any chances...)

Exactly! I've been a Wonderland fanatic for so many years and just felt insulted by the movie that came out. Considering that really, there are no big budget versions of either Wonderland or Looking Glass...who are you, Tim Burton, to think you can just use the title and make everything up on your own?

It should have been called Mad Hatter's Adventures in Wonderland and then I'd not have been nearly as annoyed as I was.

Hopefully I'll have my own "Peter Jackson" come in, take the materials and make a few awesome sequential movies instead of this crap.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
Exactly! I've been a Wonderland fanatic for so many years and just felt insulted by the movie that came out. Considering that really, there are no big budget versions of either Wonderland or Looking Glass...who are you, Tim Burton, to think you can just use the title and make everything up on your own?
Well, there WAS a big-budget (moderately--well, at least it had an all-star cast) version in 1972, that was practically a transcript of every line of dialogue from Carroll, and arguably the second-best version to Disney's animated...And a recent all-star BBC version of Looking Glass that's not too shabby either.
Just that Tim was attracted for the same reason he took the Chocolate Factory gig: "Cool, is it one of those kids' stories that's, like, really sick and twisted? "
(I felt left out of Tim's vision, since I was str8 and had already left fourth grade.)

My complaint wasn't Tim, or Linda, or their ambiguously gay attempts to throw the same "Alice, Dorothy, six o' one..." attempts to confuse the story with Wizard of Oz (and then throw dopey Wicked-wannabe plots into it to cash in on current fandom)--
And it wasn't that they forgot were still trying to keep bits of the Wes Craven "Dark videogame" movie script they'd started with (like the toothy monster or the stepping-stone heads) and pretend they weren't.

It was that Linda HAD...NOT...READ...THE....STORY: You could see where bits of the story were taken from, but anything that wasn't already explained in the Disney cartoon (the pig footstool, the Knave of Hearts, various Jabberwocky words, and imitations thereof, being thrown about) being sort of quick alibi-improvised on the fly.
(And no, the Tweedles never appeared in the AIW book, which is another Disney urban legend, but that's mild in comparison--They, at least, like the Cheshire and the Caterpillar, came off relatively unscathed and book-faithful, but then had Disney pedigrees for Linda to have heard of.)

Last edited by EricJ; 12-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quite liked the first one but only with the mindset of "right, this clearly isn't a Alice in Wonderland tale, but more a bastardization utilising the characters". It worked well as a fantastical look into a dream world, despite its major flaws and focus on the Hatter.

Again, though, like others have said, not sure how a sequel would work. Plus, ol' Linda can't write for toffee...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymatt92 View Post
Quite liked the first one but only with the mindset of "right, this clearly isn't a Alice in Wonderland tale, but more a bastardization utilising the characters". It worked well as a fantastical look into a dream world, despite its major flaws and focus on the Hatter.
I know they tried to get away with the Star Trek-like dual-canon dodge of "This is the real story, you just didn't remember it properly!"
But if they'd done that more intentionally, they could've gotten away with it--As it is, we never quite knew whether Alice had forgotten the story, or Linda had.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I know they tried to get away with the Star Trek-like dual-canon dodge of "This is the real story, you just didn't remember it properly!"
But if they'd done that more intentionally, they could've gotten away with it--As it is, we never quite knew whether Alice had forgotten the story, or Linda had.
And I'll let you guess which person I think it was

And, to give you a clue, I don't think they ever knew it in the first place...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymatt92 View Post
And I'll let you guess which person I think it was
And, to give you a clue, I don't think they ever knew it in the first place...
Seriously, anything that was not in the Disney cartoon:
Like the Frog Footman who invites Alice to croquet, or the Knave of Hearts, on trial for stealing the tarts (it was Alice on trial in the cartoon), or the Tenniel illustration of Alice holding the baby that turned into a pig.

In Linda's shuffled refrigerator-magnet version of the story, we get:
"Who stole the tarts? Aha, it was YOU, Frog Footman! (Evil Knave looks on sinisterly)...Now bring me my pig footstool!"

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies