COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Another question to consider is, why did laserdisk never beat VHS? There was no question it was "better", it was finally getting some defense from home theater fans by the end of the 90's, and it was around for a good fifteen years. You could show people how good it was, but for some reason, the concept of "Laser clarity" never quite caught on until....DVD replaced VHS. And laserdisk.
Price, and the clunkiness factor, killed LaserDisc. Two discs for one movie? A cost of 50% to 100% more than VHS? Platters the size of LP's? Many movies weren't worth it - the average hyuck hyuck "comedy" wasn't worth the money, nor were TV cartoons for the kids, and it just died. Too much "niche" in it, even though it was far superior to tape on many levels.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
The 3D-TV fad seems to be fading -- and giant, cinema-style 4K sets are the newest cutting-edge tech marvels destined for your living room.
Ah, yes, those spiffy new showroom-model Sony XBR-84K900 and LG 84LM9600 they just announced--
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ntifier=S_4KTV
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv

Take a close look at the specs lists, hawkeye:
[Show spoiler]
Sony -
Quote:
# Immersive, 84" (diag.) screen with 4K resolution - 4 times more detail than 1080p
# 4K X-Reality™ PRO Picture Engine with up scaling capability to 4K
# Powerful, cinematic sound totaling 50 watts
# Custom Install ready for simple integration with leading control systems
# Immersive 3D
LG -
Quote:
* Ultra HD 4K Resolution (3840 x 2160p)
* LG Cinema 3D
* LG Smart TV
* LED Plus w/Local Dimming
They just didn't tell us, is all...They don't have to anymore. In the eyes of TV manufacturers, 3D capability has become a technical Display Spec, like 1080p resolution.
Good luck with "replacing" standard features....What, did you think someone would suddenly come in, take over, and make the Bad Technology go away?

Last edited by EricJ; 12-03-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #23

Nov 2010
Hove,UK

Quote:
Ah, yes, those spiffy new showroom-model Sony XBR-84K900 and LG 84LM9600 they just announced--
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ntifier=S_4KTV
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv

Take a close look at the specs lists, hawkeye:
[Show spoiler]
Sony -
LG -

They just didn't tell us, is all...They don't have to anymore. In the eyes of TV manufacturers, 3D capability has become a technical Display Spec, like 1080p resolution.
Good luck with "replacing" standard features....What, did you think someone would suddenly come in, take over, and make the Bad Technology go away?
Yep,3D is now standard and will only benefit further from large screens and 4K resolution.
3D is here to stay,get used to it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #24
Special Member

Sep 2007

what is going to completely turn people off from 4k uhdtv's are the price tags like 20k to 25k......come on!!!!!!! give me a f'n brake, I rather buy a car.
I see you!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
what is going to completely turn people off from 4k uhdtv's are the price tags like 20k to 25k......come on!!!!!!! give me a f'n brake, I rather buy a car.
You never saw a HD set in stores around 2000 (year), thought; "Man that looks nice, but $10k? Forget it!"

You, and me, and everyone on this site will own a 4k set. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday (later on that day...)!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I still don't know anyone in the real world (friends, neighbors, co-workers) who have any interest in it.
Most of the friends, neighbors, co-workers I know are just now finally upgrading to HDTV. And you know what? It wasn't high-def that sold them on it, it was finally low prices on those sleek flat screen LCD TVs that weigh 1/4th as much as their old tube TV, and take up 1/4th as much space as well.

I got my first HDTV in 2003, a massive 55" Sony rear projection CRT. And got my first Blu-ray player in 2006. But I've never had the slightest interest in 3D. I like high-def and BD because it looks so real. Something I can see only when using special glasses isn't real.
When you boil it all down, what does a man really need? Just a smoke and a cup of coffee. - Johnny Guitar

Last edited by The Duke; 12-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #27

Mar 2010

The two things arent mutually exclusive - how does 3d effect a panels resolution - its such a stupid article. Forget that Apple eat this Orange.

3D is doing ok, it will as long as movie theaters can charge a premium and people pay it.

3D is getting cheaper and cheaper and friends that had no interest and now buying TVs that just happen to have 3D.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
Special Member

Aug 2011

And guess what? They are both passive!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
give me a f'n brake, I rather buy a car.
(Preferably with f'n brakes. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
The two things arent mutually exclusive - how does 3d effect a panels resolution - its such a stupid article. Forget that Apple eat this Orange.
The people who want 4K the loudest don't necessarily want 4K (even if affordable), they want Something To Replace 3D And Get The "War" Over With.
And so, naturally, they think it's going to happen, as soon as the new evolved Cro-Magnons come in and wipe out every single Neanderthal. It generally doesn't happen like that, nor did it.
(Blu hasn't even "replaced" DVD off the face of the earth yet, it's simply marginalized it into a bonus extra for a different market.)

The whole "3D boo, 4K yay!" dichotomy comes off as disgruntled traumas from those who couldn't understand the DVD-vs.-DiVX wars followed by the Blu-vs-HD wars, and now make a great martyr-cynicism show of assuming that any new technology must first happen by tech companies pulling fans for their wallets across a particular "dividing line" like tug-of-war, and "no one's going to fool them", this time.
Here, we have 4K, WITH 3D standard, since the studios weren't "suddenly giving it up". How many expected that? Not many of the most ardent, I'm guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
And guess what? They are both passive!
It's Sony & LG, who weren't heavily into Active to begin with.
No word yet from Samsung's 4K vaporware, to go with their "Glasses-free" and "Universal glasses format" plans. Well, that just leaves the "Glasses vs. Glasses-free someday!" wars to clean up.

Last edited by EricJ; 12-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #30

May 2010

I hardly know anyone interested in 3D at home or in theaters, but I think even fewer people would care about 4K. Unless people get bigger TVs, projectors, and/or sit closer to their screens, they would barely notice or care about the difference. I'd like to have a 4K display, and I definitely want theaters to go all 4K, but it is going to be a hard sell for the average person, many of whom don't even care to upgrade to Blu-Ray. Hell, one friend of mine got a 3D Blu-Ray player for Christmas (no 3DTV, though), and he doesn't even watch 2D Blu-Rays on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Price, and the clunkiness factor, killed LaserDisc. Two discs for one movie? A cost of 50% to 100% more than VHS? Platters the size of LP's? Many movies weren't worth it - the average hyuck hyuck "comedy" wasn't worth the money, nor were TV cartoons for the kids, and it just died. Too much "niche" in it, even though it was far superior to tape on many levels.
as well as VHS had recording (in a day with no PVRs that meant even if someone had a LD players for pre-recorded a VHS player was still necessary and it was not always easy to have two devices connected to a TV) and, like you said, it was too niche so most places never rented LD ( so it was not just the purchase price of disks but the big difference between owning and renting)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I bought 3 new 3d blu rays this morning. (Nemo, Madagascar 3, Journey 2)

I will be happy to buy a 4k projector (when they get to 2k refurbished.)

However,... I won't rebuy anything I have on blu. My blu rays will look amazing unconverted on a 4k set.

4k may get cheap too. Like others said the first HD displays were priced similar to what 4k is now (corrected for inflation.)
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
Special Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
(Preferably with f'n brakes. )

The people who want 4K the loudest don't necessarily want 4K (even if affordable), they want Something To Replace 3D And Get The "War" Over With.
And so, naturally, they think it's going to happen, as soon as the new evolved Cro-Magnons come in and wipe out every single Neanderthal. It generally doesn't happen like that, nor did it.
(Blu hasn't even "replaced" DVD off the face of the earth yet, it's simply marginalized it into a bonus extra for a different market.)

The whole "3D boo, 4K yay!" dichotomy comes off as disgruntled traumas from those who couldn't understand the DVD-vs.-DiVX wars followed by the Blu-vs-HD wars, and now make a great martyr-cynicism show of assuming that any new technology must first happen by tech companies pulling fans for their wallets across a particular "dividing line" like tug-of-war, and "no one's going to fool them", this time.
Here, we have 4K, WITH 3D standard, since the studios weren't "suddenly giving it up". How many expected that? Not many of the most ardent, I'm guessing.

It's Sony & LG, who weren't heavily into Active to begin with.
No word yet from Samsung's 4K vaporware, to go with their "Glasses-free" and "Universal glasses format" plans. Well, that just leaves the "Glasses vs. Glasses-free someday!" wars to clean up.

oops!!! meant 'f'n break' and yeah!!! definitely a car with f'n brakes!!
I see you!!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I saw a 4K TV and I agree I can see more of a future in that than I do 3D but first the price has to come down the 4k TV was $ 25,000.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #35

Feb 2012
Canada

I plan on buying a 4k projector in two or three years that can do 3D.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #36

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
That most of the people who are talking about 3D sucking, have never actually sat down in a home theater and actually watched something in 3D in the home.

Case in point, I went to see Brave in the theater, it was awful, the projector was out of focus, the sound, while loud, was no where near what I would call crisp and clear. Contrast that with the experience when I brought home my 3D copy of Brave on Blu-ray. The picture was exemplary and the sound was heaven.

Anyone who comes over to my house and kicks back to watch a 3D flick raves about how good it looks and sounds. I've heard the occasional comment about how they wish they didn't have to wear the glasses, but overall the general attitude is "OMG that's freakin' awesome".
When I watched the 3D version of "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" in the movie theatres, the picture was so dark you could hardly make out anything.

I chalked that up to it being a 2d to 3d conversion which was fimed and lighted for 2D and not 3D.

However, when I played it on my tv, the picture was normal brightness for a 3D movie while wearing 3D glasses and I could see the picture fine.

I now chalk up the picture being too dark at the theatre as the theatre's fault.

Even though most 3D movies I watched there looked okay as far as brightness is concerned, even the so-called 2d converted to 3D ones.

The only trouble I've ever had with those type is they do NOT look like they're in 3D since they were filmed in 2D.

And I always leave feeling ripped-off.

For movies filmed in native 3D, I usually leave not feeling ripped off. Those usually look good or okay.

Although the recent Spider-Man might be an exception to that rule. As I felt most of it did NOT look 3D at all.

Even if it was filmed in native 3D, it like LOOKED like a 2d to 3d conversion to me.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #37

Aug 2012

I think 4k glasses free 3dtv will be awesome no more cleaning those glasses before watching a movie i think that will bring alot of WOW factor to 3d, and i will wait for it to be down enough in price to get one, 600-800 dollar range i hope....
I have come to the conclusion that people on here who say "nobody i know cares about 3d" must know some very boring people. i have friends who are just as much into home theater tech as i am and we are actually in some what of a competetion with who owns the most 3d blu rays, i Buy one every week since i dont have a car payment to make... haha up to 15 so far. one of us does not own a 3d tv and he gets pretty jealous his mom even bought one before he did. So there are alot of people out there who like it, im glad its here, and here to stay

Last edited by Jack_Ryder_2012; 01-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

My dream tv should be 4K? Nah, my current HX750 is good enough for the foreseeable future.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #39

Jun 2011
Limbo

It's official: 3D is dead

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852452/death-of-3d
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurebel View Post
And, yet, as mentioned earlier, all those fancy new TV's being shown are all 3D TV's. 3D isn't dead, it's just become a standard feature.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion