Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Prom Night (Blu-ray)
$17.30
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 10-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #2021
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
Power ratings can be deceptive, because in some senses they are arbitrary. The same receiver could deliver 75Wpc with all channels driven, or 100Wpc all channels driven. The difference is that the first rating may be at .5% distortion, while the second is over 1.0% distortion. Manufacturers also like to only show distortion at a single frequency, say 1kHz, rather than averaged across the audioband. And this is to say nothing of current, which is, in some respects, more important than watts. Some people (or reviewers) will talk about amps or receivers putting out a "strong" 50 watts of power, when what they mean is that it's 50Wpc with very little distortion and decent current behind it.

Going from an AVR to a dedicated amp for your HT will probably be audible for you. But you'll be hearing less distortion and likely a lower noise floor, not the additional watts, per se.
By going to separates you should notice a difference because our speakers are very efficient and arent as power hungry as others.By going to a separate amp and using your Pioneer just as a processor you should notice a wider sound stage I know I did.
H1,Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD,Oppo 103,Integra DHC-80.3 Pre/pro, Parasound Halo A52.Power conditioners Panamax M5100-PM & Furman Elite 21PFi , SVS-PB13 Ultra & SVS-PB12 Plus : )Klipsch Reference RF7II's,RC64II ,SR Def tech 450's,Speaker cable Monster bi-wire z2 series and Analysis Super oval 9 ; ) ,HDMI AudioQuest Cinnamon.Interconnects Transparent,King Cobra and Diamond Back XLR's .2ch setup Dynaudio 160s/NAD 356bee/ Halo A21 http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=TheFactor
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2022

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
Power ratings can be deceptive, because in some senses they are arbitrary. The same receiver could deliver 75Wpc with all channels driven, or 100Wpc all channels driven. The difference is that the first rating may be at .5% distortion, while the second is over 1.0% distortion. Manufacturers also like to only show distortion at a single frequency, say 1kHz, rather than averaged across the audioband. And this is to say nothing of current, which is, in some respects, more important than watts. Some people (or reviewers) will talk about amps or receivers putting out a "strong" 50 watts of power, when what they mean is that it's 50Wpc with very little distortion and decent current behind it.

Going from an AVR to a dedicated amp for your HT will probably be audible for you. But you'll be hearing less distortion and likely a lower noise floor, not the additional watts, per se.
Thank you, though that does basically summarize what I meant by "I realize watts aren't everything, and also that our speakers are very efficient, but I'm just wondering if there is much benefit to be had in our case." The RF-7 II's and RC64 are both very efficient so I'm not sure how the benefit will directly relay to these models, though less distortion is always welcomed but it's not like I have any clarity issues right now. I'll see what he says but it's something that would be reserved for down the road, I've still got to figure out what Klipsch models I'm going to go with for surrounds, wire them through the vaulted ceiling (giant pain!), get a new MA rack, maybe some new seating, stuff like that.

I've also heard on AVS that there is an upcoming XPA-7 model in development, which would interest me more than the alternative of either getting an XPA-5 and running a set of surrounds from the receiver or getting an XPA-2 for the RF-7 II's and an XPA-5 for the rest. My room is no where near large enough to need the XPR-5 line of power, it's only like 18'x22' with vaulted ceilings, though it is a typical AZ open concept floorplan, virtually completely open to the adjoining kitchen and a couple hallways. Even off just the receiver power (Pioneer Elite SC-61) it gets plenty loud and I haven't run into distortion issues (though with only 3 ch's driven presently). I did notice a large increase in low end notes in the RF-7 II's when listening to stereo music when I made the jump from an older Sony receiver to this Pioneer receiver, and I can only attribute that to more power that is able to better push the dual 10" drivers.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #2023

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
By going to separates you should notice a difference because our speakers are very efficient and arent as power hungry as others.By going to a separate amp and using your Pioneer just as a processor you should notice a wider sound stage I know I did.
Good info, thank you. I think I'll wait around for the XPA-7, that will give me time to sort out other details that are more important in the mean time.

What prompted your upgrade to the Parasound? That's a ton of power.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #2024
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Good info, thank you. I think I'll wait around for the XPA-7, that will give me time to sort out other details that are more important in the mean time.

What prompted your upgrade to the Parasound? That's a ton of power.
Thats a great plan ! As far as my switch I was ready for a change and demoed a Parasound Halo and had to have it .
H1,Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD,Oppo 103,Integra DHC-80.3 Pre/pro, Parasound Halo A52.Power conditioners Panamax M5100-PM & Furman Elite 21PFi , SVS-PB13 Ultra & SVS-PB12 Plus : )Klipsch Reference RF7II's,RC64II ,SR Def tech 450's,Speaker cable Monster bi-wire z2 series and Analysis Super oval 9 ; ) ,HDMI AudioQuest Cinnamon.Interconnects Transparent,King Cobra and Diamond Back XLR's .2ch setup Dynaudio 160s/NAD 356bee/ Halo A21 http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=TheFactor
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #2025

Nov 2012
Default Klipsch RB-61's or RB-81's vs. HSU HB-1MK2s

I heard the HSU HB-1MK2s and the HC-1MK2 with the VTF-15 over the holiday.

I came away quite impressed with the sound. What was more impressive was that they were driven with a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver.

I am further convinced that horn tweeters are the way to go in my acoustically challenged room.

So here is my follow-up question.

If money wasn't a deciding factor between Klipsch RB-61 IIs or RB 81's with the RC-62 center versus the HSU's what are the pros & cons of each?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #2026

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Stereo View Post
I heard the HSU HB-1MK2s and the HC-1MK2 with the VTF-15 over the holiday.

I came away quite impressed with the sound. What was more impressive was that they were driven with a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver.

I am further convinced that horn tweeters are the way to go in my acoustically challenged room.

So here is my follow-up question.

If money wasn't a deciding factor between Klipsch RB-61 IIs or RB 81's with the RC-62 center versus the HSU's what are the pros & cons of each?
Well money not being the factor...I haven't heard the HSU's but I've heard nothing but good things about them and the price is right!!! I believe they give up some sensitivity to the Klipsch but other than that - the HSU's are a steal!!!! You can't go "wrong" with either - especially if you like both. Just get the ones you enjoy the most.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #2027

Dec 2007

Well, I'm climbing up the Klipsch ladder no further - as we speak, my son is on his way and we are going to pick up my new to me Cornwalls!!! Surprisingly this is a Christmas gift from my wife! They are in mint condition, and recapped! Even though this will ruin my streak of identical front speakers, I think I live with a Heresy serving center channel duty. However I will have to lose the zebrawood motif and go to walnut (Cornwalls are lacquered walnut).
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #2028

Dec 2012
Australia

Hi ladies and gents,

This is my first post so be gentle

I'm looking to replace my current avr which is a Rotel 1056 with an newer better featured unit. I would like something that has audyssey or similar room correction software and the ability to run more channels in the future.
I have 7.2 at the moment.

My current speakers are RF5 mains, RC7 centre, RS7 sides and some Mission speakers to fill in the rear channels. These will be replaced with Klipsch dipoles in the coming months.

The amps are Rotel rmb1075 5ch and a rmb1080 2ch running the RF5's.

Ok, so the avrs I have on my short list are

onkyo 1010, 3010
Integra 70.4
Marantz 7007

I won't be able to audition klipsch reference speakers with these avrs due to there not being any reps in my area.

So I'm sort of relying on people's experiences, reviews etc.

Are their any others I should be adding to this list?

I'm looking for an avr that blends well with the klipsch speaker.

Thanks

Matt.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #2029

Apr 2009
Oregon, after 62 yrs in San Francisco Bay Area

About all I can say is that they are all good brands

I have a Marantz AV 7005 preamp/processor and separate power amps. This particular Marantz sounds good, looks good, has Audyssey MultiEQXT, and the worst manual I have ever seen in my life! I say this as a fan of Marantz from the time Saul B. Marantz ran the company! Anyway, it seems to work quite well with my OPPO player, NAD Power amps, Klipschorns, Belle, and Heresy IIs.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/23/ny...omponents.html

Last edited by garyrc; 12-06-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #2030
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrc View Post
About all I can say is that they are all good brands

I have a Marantz AV 7005 preamp/processor and separate power amps. This particular Marantz sounds good, looks good, has Audyssey MultiEQXT, and the worst manual I have ever seen in my life! I say this as a fan of Marantz from the time Saul B. Marantz ran the company! Anyway, it seems to work quite well with my OPPO player, NAD Power amps, Klipschorns, Belle, and Heresy IIs.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/23/ny...omponents.html
I also have the AV7005 and agree on the manual comments. If you haven't already done so, download the the Outlaw Guide to the AV7005. It's much more user friendly.

http://user.faktiskt.se/boom/av7005guide.pdf
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Yamaha: CX-1000, B-6, T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Klipschorns Modded with ALK Universal Crossovers & Crites CT-125 Tweeters.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #2031

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy347 View Post
Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking to replace my current avr which is a Rotel 1056 with an newer better featured unit. I would like something that has audyssey or similar room correction software and the ability to run more channels in the future.

My current speakers are RF5 mains, RC7 centre, RS7 sides and some Mission speakers to fill in the rear channels. These will be replaced with Klipsch dipoles in the coming months.

onkyo 1010, 3010
Integra 70.4
Marantz 7007

I won't be able to audition klipsch reference speakers with these avrs due to there not being any reps in my area.

Thanks

Matt.
All good stuff!! However, I remember back in the day Marantz being paired up with the reference series when they first came out. I think Marantz would be a safe call
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #2032

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchman View Post
Any opinions on the Icon line?
hi guys Bob here, any thoughts on what i should upgrade my 7.2 center channel to? I am using the quintets as the surround and center channels with the kf 26 as floor towers. I have true 125 watts for the 7 channels so i have some options and have audessy to equalize everything. i cant decide if i stay with the icon series kc-25 or try the c-10 or the c-20. any thoughts?? i am kind of on a budget but i am open to all suggestions. and yes I am a newbie...the last time i had any fancy stereo equipment was in college....in the 70s and I rocked it with a marantz and JBLs. thks bob
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #2033

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
hi guys Bob here, any thoughts on what i should upgrade my 7.2 center channel to? I am using the quintets as the surround and center channels with the kf 26 as floor towers. I have true 125 watts for the 7 channels so i have some options and have audessy to equalize everything. i cant decide if i stay with the icon series kc-25 or try the c-10 or the c-20. any thoughts?? i am kind of on a budget but i am open to all suggestions. and yes I am a newbie...the last time i had any fancy stereo equipment was in college....in the 70s and I rocked it with a marantz and JBLs. thks bob
Stay within the same series...go with the Icon kc-25.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #2034

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Stay within the same series...go with the Icon kc-25.
ok thks, bob
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #2035

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy347 View Post
Hi ladies and gents,

onkyo 1010, 3010
Integra 70.4
Marantz 7007

Thanks

Matt.
Which AVR did you go with?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #2036

Dec 2007

Hello Klipschheads!!!! Where ya at?!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #2037
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Just kicking it its all good in the Klipsch Hood
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #2038

Dec 2006

I'm looking for 4 rs41 to go with my rf81/rc63 sets. Where can I find the best deal on them? Anyone have them installed, opinions?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #2039

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post
I'm looking for 4 rs41 to go with my rf81/rc63 sets. Where can I find the best deal on them? Anyone have them installed, opinions?
Those are running about $175 for each speaker so you're talking about $700 to buy four. Most companies are running the exact same price. Install....two at the sides, two in the rear.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #2040
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post
I would check at Onecall or Vanns they have some good deals at times .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers